TX - Chad Read 54, shot/killed by ex's bf, Kyle Carruth, in custody dispute, Lubbock, 5 Nov 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
2nd degree or manslaughter at the least. I’m hopeful that they get some prior communications from the couple to maybe see if this was planned or something. It just seems that if LE don’t pursue this, they are saying that weapons are welcome in any conflict as long as was is near home or their vehicle.
we all know where that precedence was set.

Had to know that was coming. Hope he has good insurance. Wonder if it would even cover something like this.
Apparently he’s a property owner/developer, so he should have enough insurance and cash. You’d never know it from looking at the house where the shooting took place.
And I’m still seeing mixed info on just whose owns that house! I just read that the owner is the second ex-wife who has a business in the home. Does anyone know if she and Kyle bought the house together or work together?

Apparently he’s a property owner/developer, so he should have enough insurance and cash. You’d never know it from looking at the house where the shooting took place.
And I’m still seeing mixed info on just whose owns that house! <modsnip>

His dad owns the house/office where the shooting took place. From what I can tell, several businesses are run from there. His home address is listed in the wrongful death complaint.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty sure federal law prohibits firearm possession for anyone convicted of an offense which has a maximum sentence of a year or more.

Interesting didn't know that. Just did some quick googling and also see that if someone has been convicted of a misdemeanor offense of domestic violence, they can't possess one either. He has a DV conviction and did time for it.

ETA, here is the info

Identify Prohibited Persons | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

Yes and regular assault and deadly contact, whatever that is. Records are here

Lubbock County Public Access
This may certainly bolster Kyle’s claim of self defense if he knew Chad’s history. On the flip side, if this was a conspiracy, it probably gave him the perfect info to use in order to provoke Chad into a confrontation. Who knows....

This may certainly bolster Kyle’s claim of self defense if he knew Chad’s history. On the flip side, if this was a conspiracy, it probably gave him the perfect info to use in order to provoke Chad into a confrontation. Who knows....

I have no doubt he knew. They've known each other for a long time. KC's wife was the judge on one of CR's most recent charges.:eek::eek::eek: (which wasn't anything violent btw)

Dang! I saw “Bad Check”, “Assault” and the 2009 Money grab, but when was the Domestic Violence? Please don’t tell me that’s only a “misdemeanor”!

It is only a misdemeanor. It's case number 2006441129. Happened on 08/17/2006 and sentenced to confinement on 12/15/2006. It doesn't say how long he was in.

According to this, it's the highest level misdemeanor.

Sec. 12.21. CLASS A MISDEMEANOR. An individual adjudged guilty of a Class A misdemeanor shall be punished by:

(1) a fine not to exceed $4,000;
(2) confinement in jail for a term not to exceed one year; or
(3) both such fine and confinement.

PENAL CODE CHAPTER 12. PUNISHMENTS

It is only a misdemeanor. It's case number 2006441129. Happened on 08/17/2006 and sentenced to confinement on 12/15/2006. It doesn't say how long he was in.

According to this, it's the highest level misdemeanor.

Sec. 12.21. CLASS A MISDEMEANOR. An individual adjudged guilty of a Class A misdemeanor shall be punished by:

(1) a fine not to exceed $4,000;
(2) confinement in jail for a term not to exceed one year; or
(3) both such fine and confinement.

PENAL CODE CHAPTER 12. PUNISHMENTS
You are very informative. Thank you!

I don’t think the law gives any weight to past criminal activity. IMO

I don’t think the law gives any weight to past criminal activity. IMO
I hope not. Each crime should be judged in isolation. That is the basis for the assumption of innocence, but..............I did see here some time ago a poster claiming that the US is the only country in the world to have that. No. It started with the Romans, and further established by Magna Carta in 1215.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlanta_2_Philly
Back