TX - Colton Turner, 2, Cedar Park, 11 Sept 2014 #1 *Arrests*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
And not trained. Too few people want to foster now. Adding months of additional training to it would make that fact even worse.

Orphanages can work if rigorously maintained and scrutinized, but it's hard. You'd get a lot of the types who currently work group homes and mental hospitals and they can be great but also lazy and/or criminal, even though they have to be trained.

It would require a lot of employees but I think it would cost about the same per child as foster care, or even less. Many of those employees would be cooks, cleaners, gardeners. The rest would have to have training and would have more than foster parents do.

We have a children's home here called Orangewood. Many of the kids love to be there compared to foster care because the food is incredible, it's a consistent place, they have parties and outings all the time, gardens, movies, a library, on-staff counselors and a constant stream of politicians and volunteers who ensure things are run correctly and who give the kids a ton of attention. There is a waiting list for volunteers.

If we had more of those, it might be a great thing.

I'm a sucker for helping out underprivileged kids, I'd totally volunteer at a place like that.

I drove by Felter Lane earlier and it is a business park. What stood out to me was the Man's Club half way down the road.

Besides the titty bar, I thought I saw several auto-related businesses on street view. Makes me wonder what line of work MT was in, and if he had been on Felter Ln before July.

Besides the titty bar, I thought I saw several auto-related businesses on street view. Makes me wonder what line of work MT was in, and if he had been on Felter Ln before July.

And who he borrowed that shovel from.

I feel sorry for Meagan as a child, and the abuse she suffered then, but I don't feel pity for her choosing to go down the road she did. Colton suffered for her dumb decisions and choices and now his dead. SHE could have made a better life for herself and her little boy and chose not to.

"...a messy home strewn with dog feces and a wolf in the backyard."

You can't make up this... stuff.

http://www.myfoxaustin.com/story/26560484/details-revealed-about-meagan-works-home-life

I am imagining this wolf was very different from my wolfdog who was well socialized and a family member. :( I understand that some will have sympathy for Meagan. They will ask - how was she to ever know how to properly love and parent her child when she grew up in a life that never modelled that?

I don't know the answer and I do hurt for the child she was as reports come out of her childhood circumstances. At the same time, she is an adult and a parent. At some point you stop blaming your childhood, your parents, your rough start, and you make choices. Choices to make life for yours different than yours was for you.

I feel sorry for Meagan as a child, and the abuse she suffered then, but I don't feel pity for her choosing to go down the road she did. Colton suffered for her dumb decisions and choices and now his dead. SHE could have made a better life for herself and her little boy and chose not to.

Victims of childhood domestic violence and sexual abuse are often affected by it the rest of their lives. Her choices have landed her in jail and I do pity her. Neither she nor Colton did anything to deserve this fate that has befallen them.

I attended a presentation on domestic violence and its effect on children last year. Research is now showing that a child victim's brain can be permanently altered in a similar way to those afflicted with Alzheimer's disease. The presentation was given by the lead investigator of our county attorney's domestic violence unit. He showed actual scans of the brains of affected children.

This jumped out of the article posted earlier. Note that her father was not prosecuted even though three children alleged sexual abuse:

The report also shows that three children in the home alleged repeated sexual abuse by their father Sydney. No charges were filed. He did complete a sex offender evaluation. And the report states that he did show four out of five risk factors and should not be allowed unsupervised visitation.

And who do you think asks for that accountability?

The legislators!

That's because of the flawed mentality that the best way to "protect" children is to take them from parents and throw them into foster care. Hence, much paperwork. States that are reforming their child protection systems have found that foster care can be far more damaging to children than providing services to the family to help resolve the crisis. Instead of spending time back at the office doing paperwork--and spending mega dollars paying foster care--trained workers are in the field helping parents with housing, mental health services, childcare, etc.

There is simply no excuse for the failure of Texas CPS not to reach out to help COLTON when the first report came in when he was six-months old.

http://nccpr.info/the-nccpr-quick-read/

When a child is needlessly thrown into foster care, he loses not only mom and dad but often brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, grandparents, teachers, friends and classmates. For a young enough child it can be an experience akin to a kidnapping. Other children feel they must have done something terribly wrong and now they are being punished. One recent study of foster care “alumni” found they had twice the rate of post-traumatic stress disorder of Gulf War veterans and only 20 percent could be said to be “doing well.” (See our publication, 80 Percent Failure) How can throwing children into a system which churns out walking wounded four times out of five be “erring on the side of the child?”

A second study, of 15,000 cases, is even more devastating. That study found that even maltreated children left in their own homes with little or no help fared better, on average, than comparably- maltreated children placed in foster care. (See our publication, The Evidence is In.) So whenever anyone tells you that rushing to tear children from their parents is “erring on the side of the child” please remember the 15,000 children who would gladly tell you otherwise if they could.

· All that harm can occur even when the foster home is a good one. The majority are. But the rate of abuse in foster care is far higher than generally realized and far higher than in the general population. (For details, see NCCPR’s Issue Papers.) That same alumni study found that one-third of foster children said they’d been abused by a foster parent or another adult in a foster home. (The study didn’t even ask about one of the most common forms of abuse in foster care, foster children abusing each other). Switching to orphanages won’t help — the record of institutions is even worse.

good post Belle. Gave me lots to think about.

There is no easy answer.

No matter how many dollars and workers would have been provided for Meagan, I sincerely doubt that her parenting skills would have gotten any better. She is so damaged that she needed intense therapy for herself.

Children love their parents. They want their parents to love them. But, some people are incapable of it because of the trauma they have suffered.

Many people have suggested orphanages over the years. That may be a better option than foster care.

Would Casey Anthony have benefited from parenting classes?

How about all of the throw away kids living on the streets. Would their parents benefit from parenting classes? Many of the girls are thrown out of the home because they are seen as rivals for the mother's boyfriend, Would that mother benefit from parenting classes?

We don't allow dogs to live in situations that we allow children to live in.

Prosecutors handling the case of 4-year-old Colton Turner could face hurdles in filing additional charges in his death, legal and forensic experts say:

http://www.kvue.com/story/news/loca...-come-quickly-in-colton-turner-case/15804271/

I just typed a long post and lost it. [emoji21]
The justice system is infuriating!!
Do we have to make a law to say that if you dispose of your child's body and/or fail to report them missing...you will be charged with murder? I mean... Wth.. I know it's not as "easy" as this but : evidence of abuse in photos, lied and hid his whereabouts, lied to LE multiple times as to what happened, finally confess to all they have so far, and we are doing to have a difficult time charging these sick murder/s??

Eta: oops sorry for the double post and longer rant.

Prosecutors handling the case of 4-year-old Colton Turner could face hurdles in filing additional charges in his death, legal and forensic experts say:

http://www.kvue.com/story/news/loca...-come-quickly-in-colton-turner-case/15804271/

This is the type of crappy reporting that makes me so angry! Colton is 2, not 4. Yep, it's petty, but this poor child deserves to be remembered CORRECTLY in death since he was so obviously ignored in life. Don't newspapers proof read and edit anymore??!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPParadise