Found Deceased TX - Crystal Seratte McDowell, 38, Baytown, 25 Aug 2017 #3 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I'm missing something -- but why did he have a bail hearing if he confessed?

Is he claiming an accident?! (If so props to the poster who theorized that. I completely poo-poo'd that theory)

Apparently Crystal had called police earlier in the year. That information will be talked about by the reported on the 6pm CT newscast.

Thanks Jethro for the timely info updates.

Is it just me? The sheriffs comments are hard to articulate. As was his first public report in regards to "she did see the children". No judgement, it could be his normal, but it makes it difficult to have conclusive facts in my opinion only.

And, again, who & what determines 'remorse'? As in...authenticating his mindset?! To make a strong statement on that is peculiar. It bothers me and i'm sure it's extremely rough for her family to hear. IMPO

I think I'm missing something -- but why did he have a bail hearing if he confessed?

Is he claiming an accident?! (If so props to the poster who theorized that. I completely poo-poo'd that theory)

IT APPEARS WE ARE EACH TRYING TO ARTICULATE WHATS-WHAT HERE! It is very choppy and confusing!

Confession
First degree murder
Not guilty 'accidental'
Bail hearing

I've made it to some random lawyer's webpage now, and they seem to say that the bail hearing occurs before the arraignment where you plead guilty or not guilty. http://www.grslegal.com/criminal-defense/arrested-now-what.aspx

[FONT=&quot]Whether you bond out or not, you can expect to be brought before a judge again in the near future for something called an "[/FONT]arraignment[FONT=&quot]." Typically, this is the time when you plea guilty or innocent. At this stage you may be appointed a lawyer if you could not afford one or you may be given time to hire one.
[/FONT]

So perhaps it doesn't matter that he confessed if he hasn't put in a plea yet? Seems like if he did confess it should at least be considered when determining bail. Maybe it was considered and the judge still determined that bail should be granted and 500k was enough.

I think we need a lawyer to chime in lol.

Thanks Jethro for the timely info updates.

Is it just me? The sheriffs comments are hard to articulate. As was his first public report in regards to "she did see the children". No judgement, it could be his normal, but it makes it difficult to have conclusive facts in my opinion only.

And, again, who & what determines 'remorse'? As in...authenticating his mindset?! To make a strong statement on that is peculiar. It bothers me and i'm sure it's extremely rough for her family to hear. IMPO
I think we will find out based on what the prosecutor charges. I sense this isn't going to be pre-meditated. There may even be a lesser charge than murder available for a jury to consider. We don't know yet. Document requests have probably been made by the media. There should be some stuff out in the not too distant future. Under Texas statute LE and prosecutors can withhold information for 30 days automatically though if it helps the prosecution they will be dumping affidavits at some point.

Confessing to police is not the same thing as pleading guilty to charges of murder. There still has to be a hearing where he formally enters a plea. Many times these types of suspects confess in interviews but then get a lawyer and recant and plead not guilty. It's really frustrating but I've seen it happen.

I've made it to some random lawyer's webpage now, and they seem to say that the bail hearing occurs before the arraignment where you plead guilty or not guilty. http://www.grslegal.com/criminal-defense/arrested-now-what.aspx

[/FONT][/COLOR]

So perhaps it doesn't matter that he confessed if he hasn't put in a plea yet? Seems like if he did confess it should at least be considered when determining bail. Maybe it was considered and the judge still determined that bail should be granted and 500k was enough.

He can always retract the confession or a defense attorney can argue it was coerced or what not. Not that it would succeed but prosecutors would be wise to make sure they aren't relying on a confession alone. If the confession were to get thrown out then everything LE obtained due to the confession would be kept out of the case - most importantly her body and any other evidence obtained due to the confession.

From the reporter's description Crystal was found on in the wooded area to the East of Needlepoint RD near I-10. If the map link works it should be to the right and down of the pin.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/I...aaabe4ed248f23!8m2!3d29.8236164!4d-94.8720001

Going by the map that Ashley Banfield put up on her show this looks like it is close to SM's house. Anyone know what street the house is on?

See this video for AB's map: [video=vimeo;232913148]https://vimeo.com/232913148[/video]

[/FONT][/COLOR]

Who can chime in on the firm conclusion "remorseful" ?

One other piece of information the Sheriff said was that the children were primarily living with Steve. He chose to say that, to offer that up, so I wonder what importance that has unless he was simply responding to a question about how the arrangements were set up.

From the reporter's description Crystal was found on in the wooded area to the East of Needlepoint RD near I-10.

The map worked. Thanks. :( That isn't far from the ex's house. Then it appears he went west in I-10 and dumped her car.

So completely sick. Just imagining him driving her around. Ugh. Then just dumping her there and not saying a damn word when it rained for days on end, doing god knows what to her poor body. If there is any silver lining at all, it's that he was apparently too dumb to put her in creek where TXEQ was searching. She could have made it all the way into the gulf if he had.

Confessing to police is not the same thing as pleading guilty to charges of murder. There still has to be a hearing where he formally enters a plea. Many times these types of suspects confess in interviews but then get a lawyer and recant and plead not guilty. It's really frustrating but I've seen it happen.

Ahh yes thank you Gardener! That makes total sense. Gotta let the legal process take over. I don't know why I'm so antsy about this case.

One other piece of information the Sheriff said was that the children were primarily living with Steve. He chose to say that, to offer that up, so I wonder what importance that has unless he was simply responding to a question about how the arrangements were set up.

Yes! That too was 'matter of fact'. The court records show joint custody. That makes no difference but LE isn't exhibiting much empathy for Crystal...so far. IMO only.

Yeah, we're basically on the same exact page here. I've been scouring the internet as well! I guess he must have pled not-guilty? Though I've also read that you can choose not to plea at your first arraignment. If that's what happened, perhaps he was given bail because he was determined not to be a flight risk.

He confessed, he can't plead not guilty. Running things through my mind, I don't imagine retraction being a possibility - stand to be corrected - him having led LE to her body.

I don't understand why bail was set in the first place, being a homicide. I'm totally gobsmacked a person confessing to that homicide would have a bail hearing at all.

He's set to appear in Court again tomorrow, hopefully more will become clear then.

I'll flag gitana, see is she's around. Meantime, hopefully one of our other Lawyers will drop by.

Even if he confessed, he can still plead not guilty.

Who can chime in on the firm conclusion "remorseful" ?
Remorseful may indicate it just escalated and the intent to murder wasn't present until the moment it went down. That the Sheriff is saying "remorseful" is interesting. Texas law is interesting in how they define murder and manslaughter. The difference is intent. Now, we know that the Sheriff said Saturday a 1st degree felony - Texas law has no concept of degrees of murder - that would mean a murder charge. Manslaughter is a second degree felony.

Proving intent may or may not be difficult for them to do in this case. If we see him also charged with Manslaughter then the prosecutor would be trying to make sure that a conviction occurs. If not then then the prosecutor had better have very good evidence of intent or they could risk an acquittal.

http://www.medlinfirm.com/the-difference-between-manslaughter-and-murder-in-texas/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties