Found Deceased TX - Crystal Seratte McDowell, 38, Baytown, 25 Aug 2017 #3 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He confessed, he can't plead not guilty. I don't imagine retraction being a possibility - stand to be corrected - him having led LE to her body.

I'll see if gitana's around, or hopefully one of our other Lawyers will drop in.

I don't understand why bail was set at all, being a homicide. I'm just totally gobsmacked a person confessing to homicide even had a bail hearing.

He's set to appear in Court again tomorrow, hopefully all will become clear then.

Unfortunately, he CAN still plead not guilty. See the case of Anne-Christine Johnson: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-8-Dec-2016-*Arrest*&highlight=Anne-Christine

Anne-Christine's husband confessed and he is pleading not guilty. I was furious when that happened because in that case it clearly was not an accident. He confessed he tried to kill her multiple ways and then stored her body in a freezer when she was finally dead.

One other piece of information the Sheriff said was that the children were primarily living with Steve. He chose to say that, to offer that up, so I wonder what importance that has unless he was simply responding to a question about how the arrangements were set up.

I guess they were primarily living with him because he was the one with the house? I imagine it would have been more split once the her townhouse was finished.

The map worked. Thanks. :( That isn't far from the ex's house. Then it appears he went west in I-10 and dumped her car.

So completely sick. Just imagining him driving her around. Ugh. Then just dumping her there and not saying a damn word when it rained for days on end, doing god knows what to her poor body. If there is any silver lining at all, it's that he was apparently too dumb to put her in creek where TXEQ was searching. She could have made it all the way into the gulf if he had.
He may not be dumb. He may have had something else in mind. It could be staging in conjunction to where the car was found. We don't know yet.

Remorseful may indicate it just escalated and the intent to murder wasn't present until the moment it went down. That the Sheriff is saying "remorseful" is interesting. Texas law is interesting in how they define murder and manslaughter. The difference is intent. Now, we know that the Sheriff said Saturday a 1st degree felony - Texas law has no concept of degrees of murder - that would mean a murder charge. Manslaughter is a second degree felony.

Proving intent may or may not be difficult for them to do in this case. If we see him also charged with Manslaughter then the prosecutor would be trying to make sure that a conviction occurs. If not then then the prosecutor had better have very good evidence of intent or they could risk an acquittal.

http://www.medlinfirm.com/the-difference-between-manslaughter-and-murder-in-texas/

Thanks Jethro for sharing.
Its so disgusting!!!

One other piece of information the Sheriff said was that the children were primarily living with Steve. He chose to say that, to offer that up, so I wonder what importance that has unless he was simply responding to a question about how the arrangements were set up.

It's kind of "duh" info, isn't it? I mean, Crystal was living there, too, so the kids couldn't exactly be elsewhere now could they? They were ALL primarily living with Steve, until Crystal's townhouse was finished.

LE has been throwing shade on Crystal and her family throughout the whole ordeal. Talking about how they compromised evidence (that LE had made no effort to obtain) and how "Crystal had 'many' relationships to be looked into, including inappropriate ones" or however they worded it.

I guess they were primarily living with him because he was the one with the house? I imagine it would have been more split once the her townhouse was finished.
With the split custody situation I don't know which child was going to be staying with him and which would be staying with her. That isn't a typical custody arrangement so in some sense this seems more messy in terms of arrangements and what may be the basis for it. I doubt we could get the sealed divorce records to find out but usually the state looks out for the best interests of the children and splitting them isn't done lightly. That it was done without intervening steps of Guardian Ad Litums and counselors and reports back to the court (none seen in the docket) has me wondering how the split custody was so easily determined to be the best situation.

It's kind of "duh" info, isn't it? I mean, Crystal was living there, too, so the kids couldn't exactly be elsewhere now could they? They were ALL primarily living with Steve, until Crystal's townhouse was final.

LE has been throwing shade on Crystal and her family throughout the whole ordeal. Talking about how they compromised evidence (that LE had made no effort to obtain) and how "Crystal had 'many' relationships to be looked into, including inappropriate ones" or however they worded it.

LE's terminology throughout and how they have treated Jeff is unsettling. I haven't seen any remorse about that.

It's kind of "duh" info, isn't it? I mean, Crystal was living there, too, so the kids couldn't exactly be elsewhere now could they? They were ALL primarily living with Steve, until Crystal's townhouse was final.

Well that is just it. If that was the only place for the kids to be then why would it be "primarily". That is a modifier. So maybe it was just the way the Sheriff speaks or it indicates that perhaps there was some other places the children went. We don't know yet.

http://abc13.com/sheriff-realtors-murder-unravels-in-tearful-confession/2404499/

The video is old, but the updated title does say 'tear-filled confession"

Edited to say: The article says update at 4. On Eyewitness News at 4 p.m., reporter Kaitlin McCulley will have more details on the murder investigation.

It is at this link that the video shows where Crystal's body was found in the woods in relation to the Interstate. The last thing the reporter states is find out at 6 why Crystal called police a few months ago in relation to her Ex-husband.

http://abc13.com/2404499/

With the split custody situation I don't know which child was going to be staying with him and which would be staying with her. That isn't a typical custody arrangement so in some sense this seems more messy in terms of arrangements and what may be the basis for it. I doubt we could get the sealed divorce records to find out but usually the state looks out for the best interests of the children and splitting them isn't done lightly. That it was done without intervening steps of Guardian Ad Litums and counselors and reports back to the court (none seen in the docket) has me wondering how the split custody was so easily determined to be the best situation.

It could mean 1 week with Dad then 1 week with Mom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who can chime in on the firm conclusion "remorseful" ?

Certainly, SM is not exactly a good guy, but I do believe he probably didn't plan this or he would've done a better job covering it up. I think he genuinely believed they'd work things out(and it looks like Crystal may have led him to believe this with the cruise, staying at the house, etc.) and probably flew into a rage once he realized what was going on with the BF, the cruise, the FB post. I don't know if it was a physical assault that turned deadly or what, but it just doesn't seem particularly premeditated. Seems like he would've arranged the kids to be with someome if he planned this in advance. Either way, he is responsible completely for his actions. I do wish she had been a bit more careful in her dealings with him due to his controlling nature and temper. It seems like letting him know about the cruise on such short notice and taking another man on a cruise with their children was probably not going to go over well given what we know about SM. Her optimistic nature that made her so lovable just didn't serve her well under these circumstances.

Yes! That too was 'matter of fact'. The court records show joint custody. That makes no difference but LE isn't exhibiting much empathy for Crystal...so far. IMO only.
Court docket shows Split Custody. Very different than Joint Custody. I posted about that in the last thread. In Split Custody in the state of Texas the kids are separated from each other and living in different households.

I saw the update on her uncle's facebook page.

I think a number of things go into determining what the bail amount will be. The severity of the crime, how much a suspect can realistically be expected to come up with, etc. For example, a murderer who makes a million dollars a year isn't going to get a 500k bail; it will be a lot higher. But even so, I'm definitely confused as to why he was granted bail in the first place. I thought he confessed.

They had at least one house, possibly two if her townhome is in both their names. He has a nice car he was trying to sell. I think he will be able to get out if they let him use his property for collateral.

If he gets out, he doesn't get the kids or get unsupervised time with them, right?!!!

Going by the map that Ashley Banfield put up on her show this looks like it is close to SM's house. Anyone know what street the house is on?

See this video for AB's map: [video=vimeo;232913148]https://vimeo.com/232913148[/video]
He lives in Legends Bay subdivision
d40baef870a3d7e27cf68db5128e49b7.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

he lives in Legends Bay subdivision
15a84306987be194b58465d3421a196e.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
The A on that map will be further north closer to I-10. Where the reporter indicated is the woods to the east of Needlepoint RD. She mentions a mobile home park to the west. You can see I-10 traffic behind her.

Yes, can you explain what the purpose for that statement? Do you think LE is trying to point to Crystal making a choice to live under the same roof? Therefore she put herself in harms way? Gosh, I sure hope not.

It's just the facts of the case.

Court docket shows Split Custody. Very different than Joint Custody. I posted about that in the last thread. In Split Custody in the state of Texas the kids are separated from each other and living in different households.

Not always. We can't know without seeing the order. Was Crystal the primary earner when they divorced? Is that known?

It could mean 1 week with Dad then 1 week with Mom.

Not in the descriptions of Split Custody - it is a legal term in Texas - that I have seen. Split Custody is not just another word for describing Joint custody. They have two separate meanings under Texas law.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties