Found Deceased TX - Crystal Seratte McDowell, 38, Baytown, 25 Aug 2017 #3 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
You can get the docket from the Harris County court - you have to register an account and log on or I would link it. It says right in it Split Custody. No Child Support after Admonishment.

attachment.php

No child support. That's what I was asking. They split custody of the children evenly.

If they want to divide the children physically, they surely could, but as a parent I can't imagine actually doing that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I imagine this guy telling the Judge he was only temporarily insane when he confessed.

'Only temporary insane' That does sounds like something he would say. And just how insane was he at other times of rage?

Degree was a poor choice of words. I believe Texas has murder, voluntary manslaughter (crime of passion), involuntary manslaughter, and felony murder. Again, I am not licensed there, so this post is based on a google search of Texas homicide laws.
Texas has Murder - no degrees. Capital Murder. Manslaughter - no distinction between voluntary and involuntary. They have a provision for under the influence resulting in death.

Thank you. A phone call to 911 will be released later from Crystal regarding Steve from an earlier time. He was abusive apparently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It was reported earlier that he threatened her while their divorce was being finalized. (I linked the article in an earlier post)

No child support. That's what I was asking. They split custody of the children evenly.

If they want to divide the children physically, they surely could, but as a parent I can't imagine actually doing that.

I posted the link up thread that explains what Split Custody means. If they had Joint custody it would have said Joint Custody. Really. It would.

She had choices. She could have rented a place if she had wanted to do so or made other arrangements. The divorce was final so the decree would have already divided whatever assets so there was no reason to stay with the Ex-husband post decree - in the situation where her attorney had advised her not to leave her residence prior to the divorce being final. We might find out more about why this was the arrangement but it may come down to costs and/or things were otherwise amicable or tolerable to continue living there.

Well, yes. I just mean I think he could have used their children living with him as an excuse to have her stay with him.

ETA: when I say "no choice" I mean he may have given her no other choice regarding seeing their children. it was stated above that they kids stayed primarily with SM. If she wanted to live w her kids, she may have had to live with him.

I honestly cannot believe that he got away with this all in broad daylight. Is anyone familiar with the woods where she was found? Is there lane or something that he could have driven down to get her there? I just can't picture him being able to pull over and drag her into the wood during the light of day with no one noticing.

As far as split custody, I have a brother-in-law and ex-sister-in-law that did it that way. He got our nephew, she got our niece. Neither one had to pay child support and the children spent plenty of time together and with each parent. I know it is not ideal, but in their situation, it worked out. No matter what, it would have been a better situation for these beautiful children than what they face now. The whole situation is just heartbreaking...

I think crystal had no choice but to live with SM. He probably didn't give her any other options, using the threat of not seeing her kids. He probably even gave her conditions.. I wonder if this was the first night she slept at new BFs house?
What right would he have to say that to Crystal?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I posted the link up thread that explains what Split Custody means. If they had Joint custody it would have said Joint Custody. Really. It would.

I completely understand what you are saying, but as a Mother I see a different reasoning for the term.

It's says split custody is a decision made by the parents. It's not required to physically separate the children.

For all we know, SM and CM could have decided each gets 1 for tax purposes. (My opinion)

Sadly, it doesn't matter a bit anymore.

She had choices.

I'm wondering if she ever moved out or if she lived there all through the divorce and everything else. Could be that both of them thought it would be easier on the kids if they eased into being physically separated. For example, maybe they saw it as a good thing that she needed renovations on the townhome. She could bring the kids there little by little to show them the progress and get them excited about their "second home."

I won't pretend to know them. Just a thought.

I honestly cannot believe that he got away with this all in broad daylight. Is anyone familiar with the woods where she was found? Is there lane or something that he could have driven down to get her there? I just can't picture him being able to pull over and drag her into the wood during the light of day with no one noticing.

As far as split custody, I have a brother-in-law and ex-sister-in-law that did it that way. He got our nephew, she got our niece. Neither one had to pay child support and the children spent plenty of time together and with each parent. I know it is not ideal, but in their situation, it worked out. No matter what, it would have been a better situation for these beautiful children than what they face now. The whole situation is just heartbreaking...

I've driven past this area a hundred times at all hours of the day. I would notice a car pulled over, and someone dumping a body.

What right would he have to say that to Crystal?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

After everything that has come to light I think he manipulated her into it and she was afraid she would not see her kids otherwise. This is JMO of course. We know he had full custody of one of them and i doubt crystal would ever want to split them up. I believe he used them to control her

'Only temporary insane' That does sounds like something he would say. And just how insane was he at other times of rage?

Oh gosh, I don't even want to know. He had a look about him in the photos of them that made me not want to know him. I think it was his weird tight lipped, closed mouth smile. I feel like he is tightening his cheek muscles to make his dimples more prominent. My ex smiles without showing his teeth because his only real emotion was anger, so i always feel uncomfortable when men smile without showing their teeth. I know that sounds ridiculous though.

I get the impression that he knew exactly what he was doing when he killed Crystal and probably feels his only bad decision was confessing.

It's says split custody is a decision made by the parents. It's not required to physically separate the children.

For all we know, SM and CM could have decided each gets 1 for tax purposes. (My opinion)

No, you missed this part:

"In split custody, the parents have custody of one (or more than one) of the children. For example, in a family with four children, the father may end up the custodial parent of two kids and mother may have custody of the other two."

The parents make the decision to do this, not the court.

After everything that has come to light I think he manipulated her into it and she was afraid she would not see her kids otherwise. This is JMO of course. We know he had full custody of one of them and i doubt crystal would ever want to split them up. I believe he used them to control her
She filed. He was the respondent. She had the attorney. Her attorney worked out the arrangements. He simply signed. So I don't see how he manipulated the process. He wasn't fighting it. He didn't use an attorney. I expect that what was in the decree was how Crystal wanted to do this. Either that, or she should have hired a better attorney if she was wanting a different outcome in the decree.

How many days after she was reported missing was her car found?

Degree was a poor choice of words. I believe Texas has murder, voluntary manslaughter (crime of passion), involuntary manslaughter, and felony murder. Again, I am not licensed there, so this post is based on a google search of Texas homicide laws.

Are you an Verified Attorney? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members