Found Deceased TX - Crystal Seratte McDowell, 38, Baytown, 25 Aug 2017 #3 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be helpful if Apple included a TOS clause that says if your murdered, you agree for your account to be turned over to LE. (My opinion)

I just watched the AB interview again, and the Sheriff doesn't confirm her body was moved in the Mercedes, he just says he thinks it was.

If SM dumped her first, then disposed of the car, that's a lot of circling around the freeway when you look at on/off ramps and one-way roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whatever vehicle he used, his or hers, cadaver dogs old have "hit" on. I wonder if it was necessary to use the dogs or if he just told them which car he used.

I think it went down that he murdered her in the morning, put her body in her car. Waited until the kids were in bed, took her out to the woods and dumped her in her car, en dumped the car at the Motel 6. Only question is how he got home. Walked which would have left the kids al He for hours, hitched a ride, called a friend to pick him up or called Uber. IMO

My theory on what happened:

Not premeditated, but not a crime of passion either. He'd been stewing for months and months, even before the divorce. He'd tried everything to keep Crystal, from playing it cool and giving her space, to threatening to harm himself. When they agreed that she'd stay at the house while getting her townhouse renovated, he may have thought she'd remember what it was like to be a family and that they'd be able to work on some things. Instead, Crystal kept her distance while still remaining friendly, not wanting to give him the wrong idea. She treated it like what it was, a temporary living situation. She may not have been totally forthcoming about where she was going and who she was with, but that's because she was trying to establish clear boundaries (even though she was staying with him) and she didn't want to rock the boat.

I think he was annoyed about her not being home that night. He sent the text about the daughter to guilt her into coming home, but probably also as a way to be like, "Don't you remember you have a daughter here?" I'm sure he was full to the brim with resentment and frustration. If it's true that he'd found out about the boyfriend, he was probably doubly upset. I could imagine it being really tense when she got home, then an argument developing about where she was that night. Or, sticking with the daughter guilt, saying he doesn't appreciate having to be the one to explain to their daughter why he's going to be the one to tuck her in that night. Then maybe things just escalated from there and it got physical.

I agree with the others who said that if he could go back in time he probably wouldn't have done this. But he did it. And he could have stopped at any moment, but he didn't. I hope he goes away for life.

SuperTmo, was anything said about her actually seeing the children before she was strangled?

Thanks

I will have to listen again in the morning. I can't remember if he said she did make it to her children that morning or she did SEE her children.

I hate that this happened. I hate that Crystal grew up with out her parents and knew the pain of losing them, because I believe in her last moments of life she was acutely aware that her children were going to experience that same pain. This is such a sad story.

My theory on what happened:

Not premeditated, but not a crime of passion either. He'd been stewing for months and months, even before the divorce. He'd tried everything to keep Crystal, from playing it cool and giving her space, to threatening to harm himself. When they agreed that she'd stay at the house while getting her townhouse renovated, he may have thought she'd remember what it was like to be a family and that they'd be able to work on some things. Instead, Crystal kept her distance while still remaining friendly, not wanting to give him the wrong idea. She treated it like what it was, a temporary living situation. She may not have been totally forthcoming about where she was going and who she was with, but that's because she was trying to establish clear boundaries (even though she was staying with him) and she didn't want to rock the boat.

Respectfully SBM...

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but this describes a crime of passion to me.

I agree!!! Its very strange and it doesn't seem to be sitting well with many others on FB as well. Its like he is protecting SM.

Please forgive my continued thoughts over this particular issue.

Is it possible the sheriff is trying to avoid tainting the jury pool by giving too much info about a motive or premeditation? I don't think they need to prove premeditation or a motive to make the charges stick, so maybe he's trying to play it off like they aren't really any part of the focus.

Whatever vehicle he used, his or hers, cadaver dogs old have "hit" on. I wonder if it was necessary to use the dogs or if he just told them which car he used.

I think it went down that he murdered her in the morning, put her body in her car. Waited until the kids were in bed, took her out to the woods and dumped her in her car, en dumped the car at the Motel 6. Only question is how he got home. Walked which would have left the kids al He for hours, hitched a ride, called a friend to pick him up or called Uber. IMO
IIf he had walked home from the Motel 6 (4 miles) and depending on how long it had taken him to get Crystal from the car to where he left her, the whole process might have taken as little as 1 1/2 hours (less if he jogged or ran any part of it). If I heard the sheriff correctly on AB tonight it is still a matter of investigation as to how Steve returned home.

Is it possible the sheriff is trying to avoid tainting the jury pool by giving too much info about a motive or premeditation? I don't think they need to prove premeditation or a motive to make the charges stick, so maybe he's trying to play it off like they aren't really any part of the focus.

So far, it kind of sounds like there won't be a trial. More likely a plea to murder. Unless some lawyer wanting press inserts into the case. Jmo

Seems like he is in over his head and doesn't want to admit that because of the spotlight. Its sad when this happens and things are skewed because of it. He refuses to acknowledge Jeff in the various interviews-that's just common sense courtesy as a LE spokesman in my opinion.

He made certain that it be known that Tim Miller came in on the last 72 hours of the case.

His statements containing he "thinks" are non conclusive yet he is calling the narrative on poignant questions?? A mental health expert stepping in to speak about the validity of SM "regret and tearful remorse" would bring some needed balance to a one man show.

MPO

I read a post or few ago that she was strangled? Is that true? If so, it takes a bit of time and effort to strangle someone, enough time that in the midst of it one could stop and not finish what they started. So, if it was strangulation, I can't go with a crime of passion, I would have to go with premeditated murder. Could someone provide a link stating she was strangled? I haven't found one yet. TIA

August 25: Crystal McDowell last seen at boyfriend's home
August 26: Flooding from Hurricane Harvey hits Houston area
August 29: McDowell's Mercedes found in flooded motel parking lot
September 2: Active search for McDowell begins
September 9: McDowell's body found in wooded area near Needlepoint Road
September 9: Steven McDowell, victim's ex-husband, charged with murder

I read a post or few ago that she was strangled? Is that true? If so, it takes a bit of time and effort to strangle someone, enough time that in the midst of it one could stop and not finish what they started. So, if it was strangulation, I can't go with a crime of passion, I would have to go with premeditated murder. Could someone provide a link stating she was strangled? I haven't found one yet. TIA

It was said by the sheriff on the Ashley Banfield show tonight. The autopsy has not confirmed cause of death yet, but that is what SM confessed he did to Crystal. Transcripts of the show should be available in 24 hours.

The clip is on Ashley Banfield FB feed.

Respectfully SBM...

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but this describes a crime of passion to me.

I discovered yesterday that crimes of passion can't be based on a previous conflict. I'd say that CM and SM's entire relationship over the last few months was one ongoing conflict.

I think a better example of a crime of passion would be if a wife came home and caught her husband cheating, then pulled a gun out of her purse and shot him.

I'd need to do more research but strangulation to me is "heat of the moment" or crime of passion meaning they didn't have a plan.

I could totally be wrong but that is the way it seems to me.

I discovered yesterday that crimes of passion can't be based on a previous conflict. I'd say that CM and SM's entire relationship over the last few months was one ongoing conflict.

I think a better example of a crime of passion would be if a wife came home and caught her husband cheating, then pulled a gun out of her purse and shot him.

Exactly a crime of passion to me (doing further research right now) is last minute in the heat of the moment and grabbing someone by the throat would fit that vs having a gun/knife etc.

According to wikipedia....

"A crime of passion (French:crime passionnel), in popular usage, refers to a violent crime, especially homicide, in which the perpetrator commits the act against someone because of sudden strong impulse such as sudden rage rather than as a premeditated crime."

This to me is textbook strangulation. This is someone arguing and just reaches across and strangles someone. This is not someone who has a gun or knife on them planing an attack.

My opinion based on what I'm googling so that that for what its worth:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member