Found Deceased TX - Crystal Seratte McDowell, 38, Baytown, 25 Aug 2017 #3 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
She was the same age as I was when I divorced my creepy ex and I too found another man. I can only say that by the hair of my chin did the same thing not happen to me. It is the most dangerous time for a woman.

Same me as me too! I also had to live in the same house in seperate bedrooms for 8 months due to house settlement and access to my 3 children. It was hell! My husband who had never ever been abusive in any capacity couldn't accept that our marriage was over. He became verbally abusive. When I wasn't at work or the gym I took the kids out to get away from him. I can't believe I am still alive it's a miracle.

my ex went down the parental alienation route rather than killing me ....it has been hell. That's one concellation for beautiful Crystal, is that her ex can't hurt her anymore. I have been tortured for 13 years ....my ex turning kids against me.

I think the fact that no one in his family knew they were divorced say it all. I think he was in denial that the marriage was over.

Apparently years before she had wanted to divorce him then the kids came along. I think she tried, committed to the marriage but in the end, it wasn't working for her so she wanted out.

Some people just can accept the reality of what is going on in their lives. I think Steve was one of them. He still loved her, wanted to continue the marriage but she was done and he couldn't accept it.

I think it was ultimately a crime of passion. He flipped out. It's just that his passion/anger lasted long enough to strangle her for however long that took. IMO

I think the fact that no one in his family knew they were divorced say it all. I think he was in denial that the marriage was over.

Apparently years before she had wanted to divorce him then the kids came along. I think she tried, committed to the marriage but in the end, it wasn't working for her so she wanted out.

Some people just can accept the reality of what is going on in their lives. I think Steve was one of them. He still loved her, wanted to continue the marriage but she was done and he couldn't accept it.

I think it was ultimately a crime of passion. He flipped out. It's just that his passion/anger lasted long enough to strangle her for however long that took. IMO

Agreed 150%.

Sorry if this has already been addressed but so we know if SM's house had a garage?

I think he thought of her as 100% his property.

Luckily that defense doesn't fly in court any longer.

Sorry if this has already been addressed but so we know if SM's house had a garage?

I don't know his exact address but if you do street view on that subdivision the majority (if not all) do.
Legends Bay subdivision

Anyone know "what time" the hearing is for today?? And Texas is - which time zone - I see two - Mtn & Central???

TIA! :wave:

Agree that is one scenario but not the only one.

I've known someone who did not tell his family of a separation and divorce. Had nothing to do with being in denial the marriage was over and everything to do with not being able to man up and take responsibility.

The part of Texas this occurred is Central.

Thanks perfectingpink! But you probably don't know what time, eh? Like it's 8:35am there now.
Oops - better get ready for Holly Bobo trial in 25 minutes....

[h=1]Sheriff: Ex-husband admits to strangling Baytown Realtor[/h]
The Baytown man accused of murdering his ex-wife on the eve of Hurricane Harvey offered a teary confession under questioning, said Chambers County Sheriff Brian Hawthorne.

After the Saturday admission, accused killer Steven McDowell led investigators to the body of Crystal McDowell, who he admitted to strangling then leaving in a wooded area in the western part of the county.

"We really don't have any motive at this point in time," Hawthorne said.
The couple's children - ages 5 and 8 - were allowed to stay with their father following their mother's disappearance, but were handed over to CPS custody following Saturday's arrest.
Despite pervasive online rumors to the contrary, Hawthorne said there is no reason to believe the children saw the crime.

McDowell is being held on $500,000 bail, Hawthorne said, and is due in court Tuesday.
http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/b...ts-to-strangling-Baytown-Realtor-12190918.php

Chambers County Sheriff Brian Hawthorne said that early indications show that Crystal McDowell was strangled.

“But that is not official since we have not received the autopsy report back yet,” Hawthorne said.

Hawthorne added that it appears Crystal McDowell was killed at the ex-husband’s home. He is also the one who led Chambers County Sheriff deputies along with Texas Rangers to her body, which was found Saturday in a wooded area in western Chambers County.
“He was always our first persons of interest,” Hawthorne said.

Justice of the Peace Precinct 6 Larry Cryer ordered an inquest.

Hawthorne also thanked Chambers County District Attorney Cheryl Lieck and her staff for their legal guidance and support during the investigation.
A grieving Hargrave posted on his Facebook page an expression of thanks for everyone who has supported him in this difficult time.

“From west to east (coast), Canada to South Africa and everywhere in between. Your condolences and extraordinary support has touched my heart,” Hargrave stated. “I am truly great full to everyone. I’m sorry I have not replied to those of you that have called and messaged me, I had to get away for a few days. I am not feeling well and not in a good mind set. Please keep Crystal’s children in your prayers as I cannot imagine the difficulty they are facing. Again, thank you from the bottom of my heart, your presence is felt.”
http://baytownsun.com/news/article_3eb3a162-9752-11e7-880b-3f01e2ee37a5.html

If SM has admitted guilt why has bail been set at all? Maybe it will be revoked at today's hearing.

It is so true that the most dangerous time for a woman in an abusive relationship is when she is trying to leave.
Someone above posted that they wished she could have just taken the kids and run. While that is very likely what she would have liked to do, it's just not a good move, in the eyes of the courts. If she did that, she would likely be the one to lose custody and then the kids would be full-time with the scary husband.
I've known people in very similar situations and it is a horrible position to be in. You have to kind of 'ease out' if possible to keep the upset down to a minimum. It is wrong wrong wrong, but a scared woman will often comply as much as she can to minimize the fallout.
Sometimes it works and sometimes, as in beautiful Crystal's case, it doesn't. The main point is that the fear is real. Especially when he's threatening the kids. I would think that would have given her some legal teeth though...

In no way blaming or saying she deserved to be hurt or killed, but I am a little surprised that she was dating and having overnights at the BF's house before she was completely away and safe (as safe as you could be) from this monster. In such a dangerous situation it's like waving a red flag in front of a bull. I totally see why she chose to stay there until her place was done, if he was making threats against the kids. It's a way to appease until there is another place to go. Sad, sad, sad.

I've wondered about this, too. When I read that she had only been dating the BF for about 3 weeks, it makes more sense. It seems that she may have met him and they clicked and she got swept up in the thrill of the new relationship but she hadn't been planning on dating anyone, if just happened.

The texts with her and her friend indicated she hadn't told Steve about the BF. (I wouldn't be surprised if he knew, however...I think he kept close tabs on her).

I think he may have gone along with the divorce because he actually did plan to kill her at some point. It would also explain why he tried to keep it secret that they had divorced.

I've wondered about this, too. When I read that she had only been dating the BF for about 3 weeks, it makes more sense. It seems that she may have met him and they clicked and she got swept up in the thrill of the new relationship but she hadn't been planning on dating anyone, if just happened.

The texts with her and her friend indicated she hadn't told Steve about the BF. (I wouldn't be surprised if he knew, however...I think he kept close tabs on her).

I think he may have gone along with the divorce because he actually did plan to kill her at some point. It would also explain why he tried to keep it secret that they had divorced.

She could have obtained a divorce without him "going along with it". Good grief, if that was necessary lots of people would not be able to get free.

I don't think he agreed to the divorce because he planned to kill her. I think he agreed because he thought it was a phase and she wouldn't actually leave.

A lot of speculation though. We won't know details until later, if at all.

I just think some speculation here is simplistic. People are extremely complex. Just saying he is an evil psychopath who never loved Crystal is clearly untrue. There are far more layers to SM and how this happened. And looking at them isn't making excuses, it's explaining and understanding the full scope of the crime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214