Found Deceased TX - Crystal Seratte McDowell, 38, Baytown, 25 Aug 2017 #3 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, if he recanted and had the confession thrown out, what evidence would they have? It would be circumstantial such as him going to drop the car off and being on that video.

I wonder if he will get out on bail. I assume he will want to. I can't believe you can kill someone while your kids are home, confess and then get bail. Everyone says how tough Texas is on criminals and I'm not seeing it so far.

Same here... and its getting to me. Ughh! One source of evidence would be the phones. Others could be prints from the crime scene, the parked car, time of death, etc. They haven't said if they have that kind of collected evidence yet. We don't know how successful SM was in wiping his tracks of evidence.

I mean, if he recanted and had the confession thrown out, what evidence would they have? It would be circumstantial such as him going to drop the car off and being on that video.

I wonder if he will get out on bail. I assume he will want to. I can't believe you can kill someone while your kids are home, confess and then get bail. Everyone says how tough Texas is on criminals and I'm not seeing it so far.

If they did a proper investigation they should have pings showing them in the same place at the same time. Cadaver hits in the living room and car, on the clothes he was wearing. Hair, other forensics in the car, house. Video from Motel 6. Forensic interviews with the kids, we don't know all of what they know, the kids probably don't even understand all that they actually know. People that can testify to Crystals state of mind in the weeks, months prior. The same for SM.

Can anyone else add anything? I know I'm forgetting things!

I really hope that doesn't happen. If it does I pray that this sheriff (who in my opinion likes to blame the victim, is too sympathetic towards SM) is dotting all of his "i's" and crossing all of his "t's". They need to make sure that even if they believe they have a slam dunk plea deal that if needed they can nail his tush to the wall AND keep him there!

-In my opinion as well. And i'm aware that I am stuck on this but I think it is part of wanting to see real justice for the real victims of SM actions. The sheriff is skewed in my opinion.

If they did a proper investigation they should have pings showing them in the same place at the same time. Cadaver hits in the living room and car, on the clothes he was wearing. Hair, other forensics in the car, house. Video from Motel 6. Forensic interviews with the kids, we don't know all of what they know, the kids probably don't even understand all that they actually know. People that can testify to Crystals state of mind in the weeks, months prior. The same for SM.

Many cases have been tried without a body and the perp convicted. Many confessions have been recanted and perp still convicted so I don't worry too much.

They have everything he said before/after confession and everything they collected that wasn't based off his confession.

Insomnia, they need you for the investigation. It needs determining of 'a proper' one.

Who is over the County Sheriffs department? Is there any type of election coming up soon over there?

RBBM.
They have Crystal's body
They have her cell phone pings which will probably show exactly when she got home
They have evidence he returned to the area where he left the car a few hours later (maybe video or witnesses, sheriff wouldn't elaborate)
They have both vehicles so they probably have evidence she was transported in one of them
They have the house which now they can process in depth if they have not already-- A luminol light will show where she was killed, for example.
They have the previous incident in March
They have witnesses that will tell how bad their marriage was--
--Uncle Jeff telling how he said she would never leave and threatened her
--Crystal's texts to friends about SM (there are probably many we are not aware of)
--Paul's statements about how much CM and SM had been arguing the week before
I'm sure there is more I'm not thinking of and I think Steve does not have an alibi for the day of the murder. He had motive and opportunity. JMO.

This case isn't qualified for the death penalty as it is currently charged. It doesn't seem to fit the rules for a capital case.

It might sound crazy but I can't see a jury putting him to death because of the children. Not that I think he has the right to see them ever again after what he did to their much loved mum.

I did not know Crystal's last Facebook post was "Stay safe out there" it is so tragic.

According to her aunt on Ashleigh Banfield, he has threatened to kill her before.

I think what SuperTmo is saying is that may not be allowed in trial as "proof" it may not be allowed because it's hearsay.

Basically the aunt could make that up if she wanted to. I'm not saying she is I'm saying that maybe why it isn't allowed as proof.

I think what SuperTmo is saying is that may not be allowed in trial as "proof" it may not be allowed because it's hearsay.

Basically the aunt could make that up if she wanted to. I'm not saying she is I'm saying that maybe why it isn't allowed as proof.

Scroll back. A verified attorney posted a TX exception to the hearsay rule.

It might sound crazy but I can't see a jury putting him to death because of the children. Not that I think he has the right to see them ever again after what he did to their much loved mum.

I did not know Crystal's last Facebook post was "Stay safe out there" it is so tragic.

-Tragic it is. Its 4 words that mirror the opposite of she herself being *safe*.
In addition the precious Youtube video of her young sons "Love is everything" and loving your Family" dated over a year ago.

Scroll back. A verified attorney posted a TX exception to the hearsay rule.

So I scrolled back and didn't see it but I just skimmed.

I know there are exceptions that's why I said "maybe".

Did verified attorney explicitly explain this aunts comments? Or general exceptions?

I will keep looking though:).

According to the Sheriff on the AB show tonight Crystal was killed in the bedroom. This was an informative show tonight.

According to the Sheriff on the AB show tonight Crystal was killed in the bedroom. This was an informative show tonight.

I thought so too. It cleared up a lot of questions and kicked several rumors to the curb. It was also stated that he said in his confession that he went up behind her and choked her. That's disturbing.

Thank you!

Yes I think we all hope it is an exception!

One thing I've learned from following cases/trials is that there is the law and then there is the interpretation of the law.

And they usually flip from case to case at least to me. Once case I can't believe something is thrown out for hearsay then the next trial I'm shocked that very similar hearsay is accepted.

Based on the deflection by the Sheriff to an AB question I am getting the impression that LE may have recovered Crystal's phone. I could be wrong about this.

Oh dang, I missed it. Why did the local news say she was killed in the living room? All these discrepancies!:gaah:

So I scrolled back and didn't see it but I just skimmed.

I know there are exceptions that's why I said "maybe".

Did verified attorney explicitly explain this aunts comments? Or general exceptions?

I will keep looking though:).

She gave a link to the actual law. It was Gitana.

I thought so too. It cleared up a lot of questions and kicked several rumors to the curb. It was also stated that he said in his confession that he went up behind her and choked her. That's disturbing.
The Sheriff declined to confirm that but the way the Sheriff deflected suggests that is how it happened. My takeaway from this is that it is very possible that Crystal was in the house for some significant time prior to the murder, that is it does not suggest it happened immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velvetshadow