Found Deceased TX - Crystal Seratte McDowell, 38, Baytown, 25 Aug 2017 #3 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh dang, I missed it. Why did the local news say she was killed in the living room? All these discrepancies!:gaah:
Most of today was spent with the Sheriff and Family Services to work with Steve to arrange custody of the children to go to Crystal's best friend (going back to when Crystal was 16) in another state. And that another of Crystal's friends that is local is working with Steve to take care of arrangements locally to sell possessions to go to a trust for the care of the children. A lot of power of attorney stuff I am sure.

These poor kids.Lost their mom and dad and now moving to a different state and leaving their school and friends.I can't imagine how they feel right now.

Most of today was spent with the Sheriff and Family Services to work with Steve to arrange custody of the children to go to Crystal's best friend (going back to when Crystal was 16) in another state. And that another of Crystal's friends that is local is working with Steve to take care of arrangements locally to sell possessions to go to a trust for the care of the children. A lot of power of attorney stuff I am sure.

Thank you for the update and explanations. Is there a link to the AB show?

All that said (and I'm no attorney, either), it makes sense that prosecutors would be willing to let him plea to a lesser felony (manslaughter). Especially knowing Texas has the third-highest death row population in the nation. I bet he would take the deal.
[emoji202]MOO

I don't think the death penalty was ever on the table for him anyway since he's only being charged with murder, not capital murder.

According to the Sheriff on the AB show tonight Crystal was killed in the bedroom. This was an informative show tonight.

The prosecutor said living room in the bail hearing today and so did the sheriff earlier today. I wish they would be more consistent with their statements. It's so confusing.

c236d039af01b39907ee6a3df6dcd466.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think the death penalty was ever on the table for him anyway since he's only being charged with murder, not capital murder.

You are correct. DP doesn't apply in this case.

I mean, if he recanted and had the confession thrown out, what evidence would they have? It would be circumstantial such as him going to drop the car off and being on that video.

I don't think we have to worry about his confession being thrown out. It doesn't sound like his will was overborne. We know he had the kids with him at the house, so it's not as if he was interrogated 10+ hours at a time without access to food, water, or a lawyer. And I think we can assume he wasn't tortured. The bar is set pretty high on coerced confessions.

The Sheriff declined to confirm that but the way the Sheriff deflected suggests that is how it happened. My takeaway from this is that it is very possible that Crystal was in the house for some significant time prior to the murder, that is it does not suggest it happened immediately.

Didn't he say that Steve disclosed that (but it's part of the criminal case so he declined to say anything else)?

I wonder what the timeline was. I would think she would have seen and talked to the kids if she was there for any length of time and they would have been up.

I don't think we have to worry about his confession being thrown out. It doesn't sound like his will was overborne. We know he had the kids with him at the house, so it's not as if he was interrogated 10+ hours at a time without access to food, water, or a lawyer. And I think we can assume he wasn't tortured. The bar is set pretty high on coerced confessions.

I don't think it will be thrown out either however she asked; recanted AND thrown out meaning if he recanted and the confession couldn't be used in a trial.

At least that's how I understand her question.

The prosecutor said living room in the bail hearing today and so did the sheriff earlier today. I wish they would be more consistent with their statements. It's so confusing.

c236d039af01b39907ee6a3df6dcd466.jpg

Where is that screenshot from? link to the video please? TIA

Thank you. Did they reference Crystals best friend as 'Morgan'? I saw a video and photos of them when they were young. It was so sweet.

Morgan is on the show tonight. Towards the end.

I don't think it will be thrown out either however she asked; recanted AND thrown out meaning if he recanted and the confession couldn't be used in a trial.

At least that's how I understand her question.

I see, but even if he recanted his confession can still be used against him. The court won't just be like, "Oh, okay. Nevermind then." A good example of this is Brendan Dassey from the documentary Making a Murderer.

I thought so too. It cleared up a lot of questions and kicked several rumors to the curb. It was also stated that he said in his confession that he went up behind her and choked her. That's disturbing.

Not really in my opinion it just means he is a coward who didn't have the guts to look Crystal in the eyes as he murdered her.

Thank you. Did they reference Crystals best friend as 'Morgan'? I saw a video and photos of them when they were young. It was so sweet.

He did not say her name only that it was her best friend.

Didn't he say that Steve disclosed that (but it's part of the criminal case so he declined to say anything else)?

I wonder what the timeline was. I would think she would have seen and talked to the kids if she was there for any length of time and they would have been up.

-until we have accuracy:

she arrived there early Friday morning and at 3am he left for the woods?

clarification: Friday approx 8am and 3am on Saturday.

AB asked a loaded question about how Steve approached her and then killed her. So the Sheriff deflected on that. But the way the Sheriff deflected - not answering referring to the DA - suggests that is true. At that moment the Sheriff was likely thinking about who on his staff, or on the DA's staff was leaking information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gretyr