TX - Dr. Mark Hausknecht, 65, Physician to GHW Bush killed in bicycle drive-by shooting, Houston

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wow -that is completely the opposite of the experience I had entering medical centers recently (not regular doctor offices, but medical centers at hospital complexes). I had to not only give my name but show a picture ID before getting past the lobby.

This really depends on the hospital and the location - in general in the Texas Medical Center, I'd say most areas you aren't going to have to show ID to enter a lobby, etc, but I have been in ERs where I had to go through metal detectors and/or show ID, check in with security, and so forth. Still, I think it is pretty moot - this all happened outside of any med center building. If it was someone he had a long standing issue with I suspect they would've identified a suspect by now. That's another reason I tend to suspect the professional hit by proxy scenario - this individual won't be directly related.

Wow -that is completely the opposite of the experience I had entering medical centers recently (not regular doctor offices, but medical centers at hospital complexes). I had to not only give my name but show a picture ID before getting past the lobby.
You just drive in, park, take elevator to 2 and you can go anywhere from there without checking in at the desk. Kid had a day surgery at Methodist and we went to desk on 2. But appointments? You go straight to the elevator bank off the lobby. Same thing when my husband got sick and ended up in hospital there. I'll bet I've been there 15 times. Always the same.

West U is a residential area with their own police force. However West U begins east of Kirby in and bissonnet. The neighborhood on Southgate isn’t considered west U. Just wanted to clear that up.

My Dad was a frequent patient at Methodist. His cardiologist practiced in the same group as Dr. H. Was never asked for ID when I went with my Dad to his cardiology appointments. Never was asked for ID at Methodist either unless it was after hours or ICU. I was visiting a family friend a few days ago at MD Anderson. Wasn’t asked for ID there either. The main places I’ve seen ask for ID aware maternity wards, pediatric wards, NICUs and ICUs.

This is a bit OT, but just wanted to remind bikers, walkers, joggers, runners to vary your route. Don't follow the same routine at the same time day after day....not to be paranoid or overly nervous, just to be smart.

jmo

JMO
I agree.

It just seems safer to not follow the same pattern all the time. You never know when some criminal type person is watching from his house and getting a sick idea.

Its sad we have to take steps to avoid becoming a victim but I guess its kind of like taking other steps to avoid other crimes. Like locking our doors and having security cameras and other things. Just another tip to help avoid becoming a victim.

I doubt very much this has anything at all to do with his professional life. MOO
Why do you feel that way? The victim was an acclaimed doctor with a broad professional life including:

- Employees at his practice whom he had direct hire / fire authority over.

- Employees at the hospital or medical contractors where a performance complaint by an acclaimed doctor and valued client might lead to a termination decision.

- Former patients and their families whose outcome was negative, despite the skills of doctor H.

- Professional rivalries (unlikely in my opinion). But, did Dr. H ever serve on some kind of review board that made recommendations regarding doctors of dubious competency? What about recommendations regarding residents and their continuance as doctors? Was Doctor H financially involved with other doctors? If so, did Doctor H ever have a dispute over say profit sharing or referrals?

This is a bit OT, but just wanted to remind bikers, walkers, joggers, runners to vary your route. Don't follow the same routine at the same time day after day....not to be paranoid or overly nervous, just to be smart.

jmo
Bikers and joggers are likely much more in danger of being hit by a car (to avoid that it might be better to follow the same routine) than of being shot. This is a very unusual case we are discussing.

Bikers and joggers are likely much more in danger of being hit by a car (to avoid that it might be better to follow the same routine) than of being shot. This is a very unusual case we are discussing.

Thanks for your feedback.

West U is a residential area with their own police force. However West U begins east of Kirby in and bissonnet. The neighborhood on Southgate isn’t considered west U. Just wanted to clear that up.

My Dad was a frequent patient at Methodist. His cardiologist practiced in the same group as Dr. H. Was never asked for ID when I went with my Dad to his cardiology appointments. Never was asked for ID at Methodist either unless it was after hours or ICU. I was visiting a family friend a few days ago at MD Anderson. Wasn’t asked for ID there either. The main places I’ve seen ask for ID aware maternity wards, pediatric wards, NICUs and ICUs.
Right. Southgate isn't part of West U and it wouldn't be covered by that city's (it's a city surrounded entirely by Houston) police department. I looked it up and, like many Houston neighborhoods, Southgate has a patrol.

In response to Cryptic's post: as it appears he was a partner in a medical group, a revocation of privileges would perhaps most likely be the case. For hospital-based and contracted physicians, e.g., ER, anesthesiologists, pathologists or radiologists, a 'no cause clause' could result in termination. JMO opinion based on personal experience.

In response to Cryptic's post: as it appears he was a partner in a medical group, a revocation of privileges would perhaps most likely be the case. For hospital-based and contracted physicians, e.g., ER, anesthesiologists, pathologists or radiologists, a 'no cause clause' could result in termination. JMO opinion based on personal experience.
Can you explain what a "no cause clause" mean?

Right. Southgate isn't part of West U and it wouldn't be covered by that city's (it's a city surrounded entirely by Houston) police department. I looked it up and, like many Houston neighborhoods, Southgate has a patrol.

Not sure what the parking ordinances are on Southgate, but I think street parking is permitted. Some might park there and walk several blocks the Med Center to save on Med Center garages parking fees, which can add up if you are there for a long term patient. My point is that it may not be unusual to have a number of vehicles parked there without causing notice or concern. The getaway vehicle, if there was one and I think there definitely was, would not have to be parked there long, so may not have attracted any attention by the people who live or drive on that street, or the area patrol.

With the large buildings and offices within those buildings on the corner of Travis and Southgate, there might be a chance someone happened to be looking out a window at just the right time to have seen and noticed this suspect riding the bike on Southgate. But that would involve so much investigation, tracking down the people who were in those offices with windows facing that way. I have been to many medical appointments with family members in those buildings, and one of the first things I always do when we get into the exam room is to look outside to see what I can see from there. Probably quirky of me, but I like getting my bearings. Maybe others are like that, and maybe they saw something that morning but don’t realize it yet.

Can you explain what a "no cause clause" mean?
They need 'no cause' to get rid of you: alleged poor performance, a member of your group could have poor work habits--coming in late, leaving early, the CEO doesn't care for you, you're over 65, doesn't matter and it's written into hospital-based physician contracts. It basically means 'we don't need a reason.' If your group doesn't have a private partnership outside of the hospital, you're screwed. Doctors can, and, do get fired for many reasons. Getting old being one of them.

They need 'no cause' to get rid of you: alleged poor performance, a member of your group could have poor work habits--coming in late, leaving early, the CEO doesn't care for you, you're over 65, doesn't matter and it's written into hospital-based physician contracts. It basically means 'we don't need a reason.' If your group doesn't have a private partnership outside of the hospital, you're screwed. Doctors can, and, do get fired for many reasons. Getting old being one of them.
That's what I thought, but wanted to confirm it wasn't a specific meaning for the medical field. On my list of possibilities is workplace revenge. To be honest, though, I don't have a clear #1 theory at the moment - many ideas are still on my list.

jmo

That's what I thought, but wanted to confirm it wasn't a specific meaning for the medical field. On my list of possibilities is workplace revenge. To be honest, though, I don't have a clear #1 theory at the moment - many ideas are still on my list.

jmo

Since Texas is an “at will” employment state, that is standard for all employees of any entity within this state, no?

The fact the murderer rode past him and looked back (double check) and shot him proves it is targeted. Dude definitely didn’t just ride home I bet he had a truck or van to toss the bike in. That bag probably had a container to put his clothes etc. Don’t you all think that bag looks awfully square?

The fact the murderer rode past him and looked back (double check) and shot him proves it is targeted. Dude definitely didn’t just ride home I bet he had a truck or van to toss the bike in. That bag probably had a container to put his clothes etc. Don’t you all think that bag looks awfully square?
Yes, the bag does look square, imo.

Welcome to WS, tonygameboy.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper