TX - Dr. Mark Hausknecht, 65, Physician to GHW Bush killed in bicycle drive-by shooting, Houston

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
What's with the $5,000 reward money. He probably cleared that if he did surgery the previous afternoon.

Rough guess he's making $500,000-$1M a year if he's a prominent cardiologist. Wouldn't you put that as a reward. Would get a lot more attention wouldn't you? The story is starting to die down already IMO.

What's with the $5,000 reward money. He probably cleared that if he did surgery the previous afternoon.

Rough guess he's making $500,000-$1M a year if he's a prominent cardiologist. Wouldn't you put that as a reward. Would get a lot more attention wouldn't you? The story is starting to die down already IMO.

Agree. When I read about the low reward the other day, my hinky meter was triggered.

Today's update on CNN, the reporter said police felt confident they'll make an arrest eventually; sounds as if they have got plenty of information. This time the reporter described the suspect just as a Hispanic man, without the "white or...", wonder if it's just the reporter's omission or if there was new info.

Reward is supposedly up to $10k, but still.....

Not that it matters one whit in this case, but cardiologists don't do heart surgery. Cardiac surgeons do. One caveat that I should know the answer to from experience is that cardiologists may do heart catheterizations, or some might. I do consider that a type of surgery.

Last edited:
Not that it matters one whit in this case, but cardiologists don't do heart surgery. Cardiac surgeons do. One caveat that I should know the answer to from experience is that cardiologists may do heart catheterizations, or some might. I do consider that a type of surgery.
I would bet that this is a hired hit, otherwise the doc would have recognized his assailant. I suspect there is some thing in doc's background. Maybe someone has sued him recently and lost. Idea here is like a revenge motive similar to the recent Scottsdale killer

I would bet that this is a hired hit, otherwise the doc would have recognized his assailant. I suspect there is some thing in doc's background. Maybe someone has sued him recently and lost. Idea here is like a revenge motive similar to the recent Scottsdale killer
We don't know if the doctor recognized him or not.

I would put his earnings at closer to $500,000 as a successful, well known cardiologist, but not a surgeon.

That aside, the low reward might be to encourage those with knowledge to come forward, but not so high that it attracts alot of cash fueled "my former co-worker is clearly a jerk and might have been his patient- of course he killed him" type accusations that waste the time of the investigators.

Last edited:
He was involved in doing at least some sort of surgeries. This article quotes a guy who took his father to see Dr. H for surgery from another state.
“There was no ambulance that was willing to do it, so I took the risk of removing my dad from the hospital in Wichita,” he said. “I put him in a car and drove him 10 hours to Houston, straight into the hospital,” he said. “I arrived at midnight, and the next morning, we met Dr. Hausknecht. (Within) the same day, they performed the surgery, and the surgery was a success.”
Slain Houston doctor remembered at memorial service

Last edited:
This article explains differences between cardiologists and cardiac surgeons. Cardiologists can do quite a few surgical procedures. One of which is cardiac ablation to treat arrhythmia. My guess that would be the type of surgeries Dr. H specialized in, since arrhythmia is what he treated former president for.
"The typical procedures that cardiologists perform differ from those that heart surgeons perform. However, there are some procedures that both cardiologists and cardiothoracic surgeons may perform, such as the implantation of pacemakers. In addition, procedures like transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) are typically performed together by cardiologists and heart surgeons. "
What’s the Difference Between a Cardiologist and a Cardiac Surgeon? Aren’t They Both Heart Doctors?

Yes, he was likely doing a lot of surgical procedures, that other doctors/hospitals didn't do (considering at least one guy drove for hours from out of state so Dr. H could do surgery on his father).
Not sure why his income level or particular specialty is relevant to solving this crime. I suspect doc did NOT recognize his assailant, otherwise he would have fled in other direction when perp passed him on bike, I suspect someone had an axe to grind against doc related to his treatment. This is not a case that will be solved by a reward for a tip

Not sure why his income level or particular specialty is relevant to solving this crime. I suspect doc did NOT recognize his assailant, otherwise he would have fled in other direction when perp passed him on bike, I suspect someone had an axe to grind against doc related to his treatment. This is not a case that will be solved by a reward for a tip
Even if the doctor recognized the assailant, that doesn't mean doctor wold have known the assailant is planning to kill him. If you see somebody you know, it doesn't mean you expect them to kill you.

Even if the doctor recognized the assailant, that doesn't mean doctor wold have known the assailant is planning to kill him. If you see somebody you know, it doesn't mean you expect them to kill you.
It guarantees anonymity if the hit isn't fatal

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back