TX - Dr. Mark Hausknecht, 65, Physician to GHW Bush killed in bicycle drive-by shooting, Houston

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hi I cross the street at Southgate and Main/Holcombe (the doctor was shot where the 2 streets merge) for work in the mornings. The area is very busy at 9:00 AM, there are police officers contracted by TCH to help with crossing at Southgate and main but they leave about 9:15 ish...
This was before 9, so the cops still should have been there.

Is there information that he hasn't been seen earlier?
No, but you would think if people saw him in the area on prior occasions it would have been reported. For instance, doctor was riding to work regularly and many people have seen him regularly and it was reported.

Here’s a map of where the shooting occurred and 6600 main at and you can see where the suspect turned left on southgate after.
Also the photo of 6600 Main is a little confusing. If you look at the parking lots across from 6600 main there is a rectangular building next to it. He was shot at that spot. Actually across the street. Not where the building is pinned on this map.

Also the photo of 6600 Main is a little confusing. If you look at the parking lots across from 6600 main there is a rectangular building next to it. He was shot at that spot. Actually across the street. Not where the building is pinned on this map.

Sorry y’all. Hopefully this clears things up. Yellow is where shooting occurred. Green is path. So he went up main and after shooting made a left on southgate into the neighborhood.

Attachments

• 233B3CBA-5973-4358-B779-6B9ABD239FD9.jpeg
    233B3CBA-5973-4358-B779-6B9ABD239FD9.jpeg
    183.9 KB · Views: 41
The suspect may of only rehearsed the path once before with a different bike and clothing. Or he may of just rehearsed it by map and car. Maybe even by foot. Who knows what day he would of rehearsed it? Some video cameras, especially home ones, only hold recordings for a number of days.

The memorial site is actually at 6700 main in front of the Best Western/ sure stay and suites. The guy would have did it right on hospital property had it been done at 6600... it won’t let me upload a picture from my phone.

The suspect may of only rehearsed the path once before with a different bike and clothing. Or he may of just rehearsed it by map and car. Maybe even by foot. Who knows what day he would of rehearsed it? Some video cameras, especially home ones, only hold recordings for a number of days.
I am sure he rehearsed it - perhaps by car at first and then on bike. He timed it so he was behind the doctor and only passed the doctor in the final stretch. He got well enough ahead of him to be in position at the scaffolding to turn and shoot. The precision didn't happen without planning and practice, imo.

The shooter took the task seriously, imo.

jmopinion

The memorial site is actually at 6700 main in front of the Best Western/ sure stay and suites. The guy would have did it right on hospital property had it been done at 6600... it won’t let me upload a picture from my phone.

Gotcha. I was going by what was written in the articles.

Not sure if I’m allowed to post links but HPD’s twitter posted new video today of the suspect

I wish we knew the address of this so that we could map it with our great members that we have on this site. To see where he killed him and where this was shot would be very good to know.

We have a member here, gray Hughes, who often finds stuff out like that..

Check around 2134 Southgate on google maps. Google Maps

Not sure if I’m allowed to post links but HPD’s twitter posted new video today of the suspect

Hi msnikkii, and welcome to Websleuths!
We are glad you joined the discussion, and we are especially grateful to have another local here. I am local too.

I posted a link to the new video released earlier today in post #304. We can post links to anything in mainstream media, and HPD tweets qualify. My link was to channel 13’s story about the tweet.

It must be so eerie to walk to work now knowing that such a crime took place just steps away from your route.

Hi msnikkii, and welcome to Websleuths!
We are glad you joined the discussion, and we are especially grateful to have another local here. I am local too.

I posted a link to the new video released earlier today in post #304. We can post links to anything in mainstream media, and HPD tweets qualify. My link was to channel 13’s story about the tweet.

It must be so eerie to walk to work now knowing that such a crime took place just steps away from your route.
I park in the Baylor Clinic building. I usually come to work down south hall and leave work down main. I have passed the memorial site. I stand at the corner where the girl in the burgundy scrubs is standing usually in the mornings to cross. Here is the link. Houston Police on Twitter

I am sure he rehearsed it - perhaps by car at first and then on bike. He timed it so he was behind the doctor and only passed the doctor in the final stretch. He got well enough ahead of him to be in position at the scaffolding to turn and shoot. The precision didn't happen without planning and practice, imo.

jmopinion

I agree. No doubt it was rehearsed. To have the details down to the minute, it goes without saying.

Could have been via:
car at night
different cars
different bikes
motorcycle
private plane

He could have been watching parts of it from a High Rise view, residential, professional or other. There are several in the surrounding area. Taking photos from a high rise window doesn’t cause any red flags.

Not sure about the reel time loop on surveillance in public areas but most, not all residential ones lean to the short cycle-of 15 to 30 days.

Last edited:

jmopinion
But again, if shooter was practicing, wouldn't somebody have seen it? Would also be kind of useless to practice without the doctor present, because speed at which shooter would have to go would depend on how fast the doctor was going.

I agree. No doubt it was rehearsed. To have the details down to the minute, it goes without saying.

Could have been via:
car at night
different cars
different bikes
motorcycle
private plane

He could have been watching parts of it from a High Rise view, residential, professional or other. There are several in the surrounding area. Taking photos out of a high rise window doesn’t cause any red flags.
All of the other means of transportation other than a bike wouldn't be very useful, if one needs to know the speed at which one had to go. The speed would depend on how fast the doctor was going. I don't think one could use a private plane in that area without being noticed. I would think to really practice that he would need to follow the doctor on the bike, but so far nobody reported seeing him biking in the area before.

I park in the Baylor Clinic building. I usually come to work down south hall and leave work down main. I have passed the memorial site. I stand at the corner where the girl in the burgundy scrubs is standing usually in the mornings to cross. Here is the link. Houston Police on Twitter

Do you know if any windows of the Baylor Clinic building look out over Southgate? Just wondering.

We would be very interested in what the Memorial site looks like. I do not think I have seen any media coverage of it this so far. Would it be possible to take a picture of it and post it here? If you are at all uncomfortable with that request, no problem. Just checking. THANKS!

Do you know if any windows of the Baylor Clinic building look out over Southgate? Just wondering.

We would be very interested in what the Memorial site looks like. I do not think I have seen any media coverage of it this so far. Would it be possible to take a picture of it and post it here? If you are at all uncomfortable with that request, no problem. Just checking. THANKS!
Just the parking garage faces that street. I can take a picture on the way home. Here is a twitter post with a picture of it. It’s small. There is a sign with a quote by his wife who is a local ER physician. Syan Rhodes on Twitter it’s a tad bit bigger than what’s in this picture.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jillybean84
Back