TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris Co, Jan 2019 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to think it was a woman. But after watching the video more I am thinking male because of the quick/smooth running away.

Interesting the drive back by the scene... I can only figure taking a picture or something. Dang, they had to know she would die.

I used to think it was a woman. But after watching the video more I am thinking male because of the quick/smooth running away.

Interesting the drive back by the scene... I can only figure taking a picture or something. Dang, they had to know she would die.
As in taking a photo so they would have proof for payment?

The Paula Zahn show is on my DVR and I hope to watch it tonight.

I agree though that the truck is at the center of all of this; however, if the killer did not own the truck, that could be harder to track down. Especially if they borrowed it from an acquaintance or someone not immediately related to them.

I keep going back to the black truck that was pulled over and questioned mere minutes after the murder and very close to the scene. Either this was the killer or it was one of the world's biggest coincidences IMO. I can't image they wouldn't have this person's name if they stopped them to talk to them. Just don't have any/enough evidence to charge them or even get a warrant perhaps? Knowing not a whole lot about the law, would "truck matching description of a murder close by" be enough cause to search this vehicle? If not, and if the driver didn't consent to a search, they could have had their costumer/wig hidden away on the floor, under a seat, or wherever.

My belief is that LE is keeping the information/investigation close to the vest as LE should be doing. Though, I may have misunderstood it since I know it was three hits, total of four shots, but I thought the show basically was providing an explanation of how Liz had been shot four times, and were not going into the full details of the gunshots. IMO

The insurance policy is an eye opener and the double indemnity clause in case of murder is a WOW factor! I suspect the beneficiary would be spouse? Who even would know that your work insurance policy would have that type of clause? IMO
I agree. LE was trying to keep the number of hits close. I believe, from the family's website the interview and filming was this summer. Then Arrin Stoner's video of the sheriff's report came out in the last month or so AFTER this was filmed.

I do wonder how much of the misstatement is on LE and how much on the show. For example, they state, as is common knowledge, that the gun was a revolver. Then turn around and state it is .380 bullet recovered. A .380 is used in a semi-auto, not typically in a revolver. Revolvers use a rimmed cartridge as the rim limits how far it goes into the cylinder, while a semi-auto does have a rim as such it is flush with the rest of the cartridge. There are some revolvers that have special cylinders grip semi-auto rounds such .45 ACP or 9mm, but I only know of one revolver that can take the .380 cartridge, the Taurus .380. I wonder if they meant a .38 special or .38 S&W. If it is a Taurus .380 it is NOT a common gun. So we have an uncommon truck and uncommon gun? Also a .380 does not have much recoil and that would seem to fit what I saw in the video. But in any case, we now know the caliber at least. I had thought it was .22 or .22 magnum due to the minimal recoil and I got that wrong. That gun is probably in a river or the gulf by now.

The insurance issue took me by surprise. I wouldn't normally be surprised by insurance, but amount, $500K, really took me by surprise.

Guessing an equal amount and policy for the spouse too. That’s what we were always instructed to do, take out enough insurance to pay off the house.
Double indemnity was not included in employers regular life insurance policy, it was an add on option (like a cancer option) that you paid extra.
JMO

Last edited:

What is Considered an Accidental Death?​

First, we need to know what “accidental death” means. To qualify for double indemnity benefits, the relatives of the deceased will need to prove that the death was accidental. Different insurance carriers have many definitions for accidental death. In general, the following are some of the reasons which are included in the accidental death definition.

• Motor vehicle accidents
  • Drowning
  • Defective machinery incidents
  • Choking
  • Slip and fall accidents
  • Murder

What is Considered an Accidental Death?​

First, we need to know what “accidental death” means. To qualify for double indemnity benefits, the relatives of the deceased will need to prove that the death was accidental. Different insurance carriers have many definitions for accidental death. In general, the following are some of the reasons which are included in the accidental death definition.

• Motor vehicle accidents
  • Drowning
  • Defective machinery incidents
  • Choking
  • Slip and fall accidents
  • Murder
How is murder considered an accidental death? I guess only if it’s not the doings of the spouse?

I am also highly suspicious of anyone close to the victim who is oh so helpful in pointing out multiple potential suspects other than themselves. I saw a recent Dateline like this - it was the wife who pointed lots of fingers in many different directions, none of which included her married lover who she conspired with to kill her husband.
Exactly! You must be reading my mind.

The dad of the spouse looked real fishy too. Hopefully nothing to do with it.

Why did they not mention what the killer was to supposed to have said? Was it 'got you now' or something similar? Or is that not certain?

I live like 20 minutes from Tomball and I never even heard of this story. I watched Paula Zahn yesterday and the husband doesn't give me "murder for hire murderer" vibes. His father sent up red flags but why would his father even know about the life insurance policy? It appears that they weren't on good terms so I can't see him calling him to tell him about it. The suspect pool is so small though that no one can be counted out. I'm honestly baffled that no one has been charged for this.

Did they say if the insurance paid out or not? If there is a possibility the murderer is the beneficiary, usually they won't until the murder is solved.
This is what I was going to say. I worked in death claims for an insurance company and if it was a suspicious death or homicide we wouldn’t pay out until the beneficiary was cleared. JMO but with an unsolved homicide, I doubt this claim has been paid. If it has, then LE has likely provided the insurance company with enough evidence to clear Sergio, and since Texas is a community property state we can presume he was the beneficiary.

Last edited:
Wow, I knew there had to have been a life insurance policy. Show seemed to clear particular 501 person. SB actually heard Liz scream and the gunshots through ring cam. Wow, just wow. I wish I could say my thoughts right now. Liz‘s poor parents.
IMO
I feel the same.

Are there any good sources out there that state where SB was when this happened? Bc I read the parents website and that it took him an hour to get back to the house and now this about the ring cam makes me concerned. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmjordan75