TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris Co, Jan 2019 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m guessing her husband knows the precise time he left for work as he was probably picked up leaving on their Ring cam which was time stamped.

The way I understood what he said in the PZ show was that he got an alert from the Ring app on his phone. He checked it at that time and saw crime scene tape going up out front of his house. He’s like what happened! So he rewinds the Ring footage and goes back through the timeline until he gets to the shots being fired. Then he rushes home.

I don’t have a Ring so I don’t know what triggers an “alarm.” But I can see how he wouldn’t get home until 7:51 if he didn’t even get the notification until police were on scene and putting up tape. Then he still had to go back through footage etc.

I’m guessing her husband knows the precise time he left for work as he was probably picked up leaving on their Ring cam which was time stamped.

The way I understood what he said in the PZ show was that he got an alert from the Ring app on his phone. He checked it at that time and saw crime scene tape going up out front of his house. He’s like what happened! So he rewinds the Ring footage and goes back through the timeline until he gets to the shots being fired. Then he rushes home.

I don’t have a Ring so I don’t know what triggers an “alarm.” But I can see how he wouldn’t get home until 7:51 if he didn’t even get the notification until police were on scene and putting up tape. Then he still had to go back through footage etc.
This makes sense. Watched the whole episode on Discovery+ last night, and I remember SB talking about seeing the yellow crime scene tape going up on the phone screen when he first got a Ring app notification and played the video (it was the neighbor across the street who had called 911).

I don’t have a Ring so I don’t know what triggers an “alarm.”
RSBM We have a Ring camera and motion in front of the camera would send an, "alarm." The, "alarm" is simply the app sending a notification on your phone screen saying something to the effect, "There is motion at your front door." That said, I rarely check my Ring app when I get such a notification as it usually is something as simple as a someone walking on the sidewalk in front of the house or a car driving by.

I had a ring camera and they don't have noise detection. It would be motion only. So, he wouldnt have gotten a notification of activity during the shooting because the perp never entered in to the camera's motion sensing area. He only was notified when cops showed up and set off the sensor.

One question I did have is that her parents mentioned in the show that they were notified by the alarm company I think. I know that SB mentioned in the show that they liked to be cautious so they had installed an alarm system AND a Ring, which made it sound like they were separate entities. I'm not clear on how/why her parents got a notification. It doesn't sound like it was from Ring. I would not want to be notified every time there was movement in front of someone else's door that wasn't even my own!

Would a home security alarm system be set off by the sound of gunshots? I wonder if her parents are the ones to get the notification because it's assumed if something happened to trigger the alarm that both Liz and her husband might be together?

One question I did have is that her parents mentioned in the show that they were notified by the alarm company I think. I know that SB mentioned in the show that they liked to be cautious so they had installed an alarm system AND a Ring, which made it sound like they were separate entities. I'm not clear on how/why her parents got a notification. It doesn't sound like it was from Ring. I would not want to be notified every time there was movement in front of someone else's door that wasn't even my own!

Would a home security alarm system be set off by the sound of gunshots? I wonder if her parents are the ones to get the notification because it's assumed if something happened to trigger the alarm that both Liz and her husband might be together?
Maybe the parents were backup people? It seems like everything's set up these days to get/ask for a primary and a secondary notification, phone number, recovery email, what have you.

LE stated that SB took and passed a polygraph.

I think the police seem like they have delved pretty deeply into the husband and have come up empty: that does not mean they would not be open to finding more info if any came out that would in any way tie him to this crime, but for now, I don't see him being guilty of this crime. I do not have much faith in polygraphs- too many sociopaths pass and innocent people fail and the police IMO put too much emphasis on that test. There is a good reason it is not accepted in court. I think a polygraph test should be used as just another piece of evidence, but not relying on it as a totality as to whether someone is guilty or innocent.

I think on their website they mentioned that Liz had set the alarm for the house and when LE entered the house it triggered the alarm and notified the parents.

ETA: didn’t want to leave you hanging. Here is the quote and link

• Early Morning [07:19:45 AM] Harris County Precinct 4 Constables enter the house to clear and secure the home. This set off the alarm that Liz had set to instantly trigger if a door was opened. She had the door inside the garage unlocked for her safety, as a precaution.

• Early Morning [Unknown] The truck is tracked on several commercial cameras but is eventually lost in an area with no camera coverage.

• Early Morning [Unknown] Liz’s parents are notified by her alarm company that the alarm has been triggered and they cannot reach Liz. We left immediately for her home.

LE stated that SB took and passed a polygraph.
On the Paula show? I’m pretty sure they said SB’s dad took a poly & passed after SG pointed the finger at him.

In the show SG said he had no contact with his father, and he pointed the finger at him because his payroll check was late and his dad was struggling financially. So I wonder when SG went no contact or if it was initiated by his father after SG pointed LE in his direction.

IIRC payroll check bounced. 250,000 or 500,000 sure would help out a family business barely (most of the time?) covering their paychecks. Come on son... can you spare a little to help out ol' Dad?

IIRC payroll check bounced. 250,000 or 500,000 sure would help out a family business barely (most of the time?) covering their paychecks. Come on son... can you spare a little to help out ol' Dad?
Except LE cleared the dad quickly when really the payroll situation was a couple of clients were slow to pay. Pretty common with small businesses. It would seem up until that point SB was in a decent relationship with his dad since he was working for him.

i almost forgot, in the show they mentioned they were certain the killer knew Liz would be having a garage sale that day and she typically left the house for work earlier than when the killing happened. I know this has been something I’ve wondered for a long time, what time she typically left, who typically left first, etc.

On a normal day she wouldn’t have been there but Sergio would have been, as he left earlier than normal that day.

Were the signs not up just the night before? Staking out the place, saw sign(s), saw an opening.

We don't know if the killer was 'ready' earlier for the time Liz usually left home.

Perhaps money was not the motivation in the typical sense. Instead it could have been "she is convincing my wife to leave me". As a result the wife would take half the business, properties, or money they had. It is not unheard of that husbands have gotten angry at women encouraging their wives to leave them, even if they treat their wives poorly. This one could argue the father did by having several affairs, cheating on his wife. Most people do not appriciate folks meddling in their marriage.

This is purely speculation of course and just tossing ideas out there.

I found it striking that this was the one day Sergio had been called in early for his flooring job. Normally he would have left later. I am not sure if they knew about the garage sale, but they might have known about Sergio's early start that morning and decided today was the day. The disguise, lets say the killer knew there was cameras around, would likely have expected to approach the door and perhaps doorbell camera. Though, thanks to the garagesale, did not have to.

On the Paula show? I’m pretty sure they said SB’s dad took a poly & passed after SG pointed the finger at him.

In the show SG said he had no contact with his father, and he pointed the finger at him because his payroll check was late and his dad was struggling financially. So I wonder when SG went no contact or if it was initiated by his father after SG pointed LE in his direction.
Both SG and his dad took and passed polygraphs according to the PZ show. SG also said he hadn't spoken to his dad since.

Were the signs not up just the night before? Staking out the place, saw sign(s), saw an opening.

We don't know if the killer was 'ready' earlier for the time Liz usually left home.
Good point
Both SG and his dad took and passed polygraphs according to the PZ show. SG also said he hadn't spoken to his dad since.
Thanks for clarifying, I didn’t remember about SB passing.

Someone really wanted EB dead period. Just some curious thoughts in my mind...

A sudden unplanned garage sale
EB at home when she would normally already have left for work
SB left home early that day
Truck seen arriving 3-4 minutes after SB leaves the home
A large insurance policy that doubled due to murder clause
Only a very small group of people knew about the garage sale beforehand, it wasn't advertised on SM
The truck cruised the home the night before the shooting
The truck driving by the house again after the killing

Was the garage sale unplanned? I don't remember hearing that tidbit. She was trying to get more money together for their trip to Disney World. It wasn't a neighborhood garage sale. Just something she decided to do. It had to be planned bc I think on the show they said that her coworkers knew she had scheduled that day off prior. It wasn't advertised anywhere though. She was counting on the people driving by to purchase whatever she was selling. I am curious as to why Liz set the alarm on her house when she was sitting in the driveway. Was the garage door open so that she had access to the house? If so, then what's the point of setting the alarm to trigger if the front door was opened when they could have just walked in her garage?

Was the garage sale unplanned? I don't remember hearing that tidbit. She was trying to get more money together for their trip to Disney World. It wasn't a neighborhood garage sale. Just something she decided to do. It had to be planned bc I think on the show they said that her coworkers knew she had scheduled that day off prior. It wasn't advertised anywhere though. She was counting on the people driving by to purchase whatever she was selling. I am curious as to why Liz set the alarm on her house when she was sitting in the driveway. Was the garage door open so that she had access to the house? If so, then what's the point of setting the alarm to trigger if the front door was opened when they could have just walked in her garage?
They said she decided to do it on Thursday and took Friday off work to do the garage sale.

I’m not super clear on the purpose of the house being alarmed either. Maybe in case something went bad, all she had to do was walk in and the alarm would go off. This always made me wonder if there had been legitimate threats made towards her or if she was just very cautious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elementpro