TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris Co, Jan 2019 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel the same.

Are there any good sources out there that state where SB was when this happened? Bc I read the parents website and that it took him an hour to get back to the house and now this about the ring cam makes me concerned. MOO
I think the website for Liz was pretty good for timeline. Sergio left, 4 minutes later killer showed up, I think it was 7 minutes after Sergio left that the ring doorbell recorded her being shot. So he would have been 7 minutes from home when he got the ring alert assuming he got alerts.

Who benefitted from the life insurance? Did it pay out half a million dollars?

They cleared the husband's phone but he could have a burner phone.

Hired hit. Who has the most motivation to have her killed? I think it is the person who showed no obvious grief in the immediate aftermath.

It adds up if you look beyond the overconfident investigator.

JMO

Who is the person who showed no obvious grief? I was able to see just parts of Paula Zahn episode.

Who is the person who showed no obvious grief? I was able to see just parts of Paula Zahn episode.
The investigator they interviewed said EB's husband showed no emotional reaction when he was shown the ring camera footage shortly after the crime. And another mention was made of him behaving similar when questioned.

It's a good case overview. I hope you get to see it all. I wasn't that familiar with the case until I listened to the show.

I’m watching now, I feel so bad for Liz’s mom.

So I don’t know if they misspoke but the detective said the life insurance was $500k with the double indemnity for murder. When Paula said it she said $250k doubled to $500k. Oh and Sergio told detectives the life insurance policy was insignificant and much smaller than it was.

Detective said when they released Sergio he didn’t go to the hospital, he hung out at the house for a while.

Then he mentioned Sergio had no emotional reaction to seeing Liz get shot. When Paula asked Sergio about watching, he described it with no emotion (during the show) and when Liz’s mom described it, she cried as she talked, mentioned how hard it was to see Liz take that step back knowing that Liz was scared, she was emotional through the entire discussion.

I’m watching now, I feel so bad for Liz’s mom.

So I don’t know if they misspoke but the detective said the life insurance was $500k with the double indemnity for murder. When Paula said it she said $250k doubled to $500k. Oh and Sergio told detectives the life insurance policy was insignificant and much smaller than it was.

Detective said when they released Sergio he didn’t go to the hospital, he hung out at the house for a while.

Then he mentioned Sergio had no emotional reaction to seeing Liz get shot. When Paula asked Sergio about watching, he described it with no emotion (during the show) and when Liz’s mom described it, she cried as she talked, mentioned how hard it was to see Liz take that step back knowing that Liz was scared, she was emotional through the entire discussion.
I just watched it tonight, too, and found the segment with Liz’s mom describing viewing that part the video to be heart-wrenching—SB’s description of watching the same video was, I believe, just a simple list of adjectives: horrible, tragic, etc. The differences between the demeanor of Liz’s mom and Liz’s husband were striking.

I also found it interesting that Sergio described the (ostensibly) minor conflicts he and/or Liz had with other folks related to the 501st as “scuffles”—IMO only, that word has a somewhat physical connotation (as opposed to “conflicts” or “spats” or “disagreements”).

The investigator they interviewed said EB's husband showed no emotional reaction when he was shown the ring camera footage shortly after the crime. And another mention was made of him behaving similar when questioned.

It's a good case overview. I hope you get to see it all. I wasn't that familiar with the case until I listened to the show.

Thanks. I just watched it in its entirety. It’s interesting and unusual that there haven’t been any real tip offs yet.

When I caught parts of it last night I assumed that SB was cleared because it’s not often that a suspect is on an aired ID episode. <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
I just watched it tonight, too, and found the segment with Liz’s mom describing viewing that part the video to be heart-wrenching—SB’s description of watching the same video was, I believe, just a simple list of adjectives: horrible, tragic, etc. The differences between the demeanor of Liz’s mom and Liz’s husband were striking.

I also found it interesting that Sergio described the (ostensibly) minor conflicts he and/or Liz had with other folks related to the 501st as “scuffles”—IMO only, that word has a somewhat physical connotation (as opposed to “conflicts” or “spats” or “disagreements”).
I’ve never watched any interviews with him before, so I wasn’t sure what to expect. But when they were asking how he felt watching Liz die? I did expect 1 tear or some emotion.

I didn’t think about the word scuffles, but you’re right. I wonder if there ever were disagreements that got physical.

Thanks. I just watched it in its entirety. It’s interesting and unusual that there haven’t been any real tip offs yet.

When I caught parts of it last night I assumed that SB was cleared because it’s not often that a suspect is on an aired ID episode. I can see why he is a person of interest now.
Do you think he’s watched it? Do you think he knew they’d be painting him as the most viable suspect?

Does anyone find it strange that if the Frontier was observed on neighborhood cameras at 2 AM slowly driving by Liz’s house (per Liz’s website), why hasn’t that footage of Liz’s Ring cam been released to the public? I wonder if that footage could to lead to any other potential clues?

Does anyone find it strange that if the Frontier was observed on neighborhood cameras at 2 AM slowly driving by Liz’s house (per Liz’s website), why hasn’t that footage of Liz’s Ring cam been released to the public? I wonder if that footage could to lead to any other potential clues?
I think it has been? No? I never looked at the time stamps on the videos but some of them seem to be from the 2am drive by.

The Paula Zahn show is on my DVR and I hope to watch it tonight.

I agree though that the truck is at the center of all of this; however, if the killer did not own the truck, that could be harder to track down. Especially if they borrowed it from an acquaintance or someone not immediately related to them.

I keep going back to the black truck that was pulled over and questioned mere minutes after the murder and very close to the scene. Either this was the killer or it was one of the world's biggest coincidences IMO. I can't image they wouldn't have this person's name if they stopped them to talk to them. Just don't have any/enough evidence to charge them or even get a warrant perhaps? Knowing not a whole lot about the law, would "truck matching description of a murder close by" be enough cause to search this vehicle? If not, and if the driver didn't consent to a search, they could have had their costumer/wig hidden away on the floor, under a seat, or wherever.
Oh please forgive me. I followed this case but missed this story. Can you link about the truck being pulled over?

I think it has been? No? I never looked at the time stamps on the videos but some of them seem to be from the 2am drive by.
I believe the video was released of the truck turning into the neighborhood onto their street from the main street off of Kuykendahl rd (main road you take to get to the neighborhood), but not of the one where the truck drives by their house that early.

Do you think he’s watched it? Do you think he knew they’d be painting him as the most viable suspect?

I’m sure he has watched it more than a few times. Whether or not he knew they would paint him as the most viable suspect I have no clue. I haven’t previously followed the case; I just happened to see parts of the episode and came to WS to learn more about it. I’m tuned in now.

• Early Morning [06:48:00 AM] Sergio leaves the property to go to work, in a white panel van.
  • Early Morning [07:51:55 AM] Sergio Barraza arrives back at the house and is detained by Law Enforcement for questioning.

It was revealed On the Case with Paula Zahn that SB listened to Liz being killed through the Ring cam. Question: why didn’t he alert 911? Additionally, he didn’t arrive back home until around 7:51 am. Apparently an hour after he first left his home. In addition, he was able to provide LE the exact time he left his house for work that morning, which is suspect in itself.

The reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible is now up to $50,000.00.

If you have a tip, please call the Crime Stoppers of Houston Tip Line - all calls are completely anonymous. Only tips and calls DIRECTLY TO Crime Stoppers are anonymous and eligible for a cash reward.

1-713-222-TIPS

• Early Morning [06:48:00 AM] Sergio leaves the property to go to work, in a white panel van.
  • Early Morning [07:51:55 AM] Sergio Barraza arrives back at the house and is detained by Law Enforcement for questioning.

It was revealed On the Case with Paula Zahn that SB listened to Liz being killed through the Ring cam. Question: why didn’t he alert 911? Additionally, he didn’t arrive back home until around 7:51 am. Apparently an hour after he first left his home. In addition, he was able to provide LE the exact time he left his house for work that morning, which is suspect in itself.
What I’m trying to understand is if he left so shortly before (minutes prior), why and how did it take him so long to return if he witnessed this horrible event in real time over the Nest cam? He did not return until an hour later after he left.

WS, please watch at your convenience, the show is being replayed.

Investigation Discovery: On the Case with Paula Zahn
Rosemary and I interviewed with Paula Zahn and her team on June 7, 2022. They interviewed quite a few people close to her and the case.

UPDATE October 28, 2022

On Sunday October 30th, at 9PM CST the On the Case With Paula Zahn show about Liz will air. The show is on Investigation Discovery Channel.

Special Note: The episode description may be wrong on your channel guide - but here is the correct information:
S25 E8 · A Fairy Tale Ruined New 60 min · Oct 30, 2022
Please share this and try to watch or DVR the episode. The episode will be available to watch on Prime Video the day after it airs. Paula Zahn usually runs a promo spot on her Facebook a few days before the airing. On the Case with Paula Zahn
Link to the promo: A neighborhood garage sale ends in a hail of gun fire. Can police catch a cold-blooded killer who was caught in the act by surveillance cameras? "A Fairy... | By Paula Zahn | Facebook
We appreciate everyone who made themselves available to be interviewed and we expect this to be a great detailed look into her case.

Thank you all
Always***
The Nuelle Family
#catchacoward.

Last edited:
The way I understood it from the PZ show was that he got called in to work early that morning. He left and went to work. He's not the one who found her. He came home when he was told of what happened. He was showing LE the ring camera footage to see if anything was caught but nothing was bc whoever did this was aware of the camera and what all was covered by it outside. The husband looks good for it but apparently LE was able to corroborate his story and everything checked out. Maybe he hired someone but the show said that there were no unusual calls made to or from SB phone. My guess is they checked all computers in the house as well to see if there was correspondence with someone through email or through some site. Who did this? Theres not many people it could have been. How has no one been found yet?

I think he was referring to the door cam video when he was describing. You don't see anything in that one but hear her scream and the shots.

I don't see how anybody can be cleared from their fun group. Everyone is in 'disguise' there and the shooter was in a sort of costume too.

Would someone prone to dressing up having fun be prone to dress up for a murder?

Any spat/scuffle/fussing/shouting/letters/etc from anywhere around that group should be looked at closely IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MollyWobbles