TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris Co, Jan 2019 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what started the Ring doorbell recording? As far as I know, and feel free to correct me if I’m wrong, Ring doorbells themselves do not continuously record, but only record when there is motion within your set “zone” or when there is a, well, ring of the doorbell. I went back through my Ring doorbells and in the several I looked at, the motion that set it off is visible within the first few seconds of the recording. I didn’t really see anything in the beginning of it, but that doesn’t mean the initiating event wasn’t edited out. However, it couldn’t have been the suspect because the truck doesn’t even enter the picture until several seconds after it starts.

There is a way a homeowner with the Ring app can do a “live” view and see what is going on outside the house within the camera’s view, regardless if there is motion or a doorbell ring. The video from your love view is saved in your dashboard. Surely when SB showed his Ring video to police they checked to see if, on the dashboard it said “Motion”, which is a recording initiated by motion in the preset zone but not viewed at the time the notification came up, “Answered Motion”, which means the recording was initiated by motion and the app user clicked on the notification as it popped up to view what was going on, or “Live View”, which means that an app user initiated the camera view on their own to see what might or might not be happening outside their front door.

I wonder what started the Ring doorbell recording? As far as I know, and feel free to correct me if I’m wrong, Ring doorbells themselves do not continuously record, but only record when there is motion within your set “zone” or when there is a, well, ring of the doorbell. I went back through my Ring doorbells and in the several I looked at, the motion that set it off is visible within the first few seconds of the recording. I didn’t really see anything in the beginning of it, but that doesn’t mean the initiating event wasn’t edited out. However, it couldn’t have been the suspect because the truck doesn’t even enter the picture until several seconds after it starts.

There is a way a homeowner with the Ring app can do a “live” view and see what is going on outside the house within the camera’s view, regardless if there is motion or a doorbell ring. The video from your love view is saved in your dashboard. Surely when SB showed his Ring video to police they checked to see if, on the dashboard it said “Motion”, which is a recording initiated by motion in the preset zone but not viewed at the time the notification came up, “Answered Motion”, which means the recording was initiated by motion and the app user clicked on the notification as it popped up to view what was going on, or “Live View”, which means that an app user initiated the camera view on their own to see what might or might not be happening outside their front door.
That was my understanding as well. Can you record from live view?

I wonder if they just snipped part of the video, maybe Liz walked in front of the camera to activate it and they just edited it down to include the truck driving by.

I wonder if they just snipped part of the video, maybe Liz walked in front of the camera to activate it and they just edited it down to include the truck driving by.
That very well could be, which would be a big, but certainly possible, coincidence. And yes, when you go “live” it automatically starts recording and doesn’t end until you click the little red button or get out of the app completely. To go live, you literally have to push a button captioned “Tap to go live.”

This is what some of those videos would look like on the Ring dashboard (my son was messing around with the doorbell and camera that day so that’s why there’s all these different ones in one day!)

Motion - some motion within the preset zone started a recording. The notification would have popped up on my phone but I didn’t click on it to see what was going on. The recording would have ended automatically after a period of no motion in the preset zone, usually 1-2 minutes after it starts in my experience.

Answered ring - someone rang my doorbell, the notification popped up that there was an “ring” rather than an “motion” and I clicked on it to get a live view. The ringing of the doorbell would have set off the recording and ended when I stopped the recording or got out of the app.

Live view - no doorbell ring or motion, I just wanted to see what was going on outside. The video would have started when I hit “tap to go live” and ended when I ended it or got out of the app.

Answered motion - motion in my preset zone automatically started the recording, I got a notification on my phone and clicked on it right away to see out the camera. It would have ended after I ended it or got out of the app.

3BDB0628-49F1-4E71-8143-4A585A9879A6.png

That very well could be, which would be a big, but certainly possible, coincidence. And yes, when you go “live” it automatically starts recording and doesn’t end until you click the little red button or get out of the app completely. To go live, you literally have to push a button captioned “Tap to go live.”
Well if that was recorded from a live view? (Where is the shocked face emoji????)

One question I did have is that her parents mentioned in the show that they were notified by the alarm company I think. I know that SB mentioned in the show that they liked to be cautious so they had installed an alarm system AND a Ring, which made it sound like they were separate entities. I'm not clear on how/why her parents got a notification. It doesn't sound like it was from Ring. I would not want to be notified every time there was movement in front of someone else's door that wasn't even my own!

Would a home security alarm system be set off by the sound of gunshots? I wonder if her parents are the ones to get the notification because it's assumed if something happened to trigger the alarm that both Liz and her husband might be together?
  • Early Morning [Unknown] Liz’s parents are notified by her alarm company that the alarm has been triggered and they cannot reach Liz. We left immediately for her home.
  • Early Morning [07:37 AM] Rosemary and Bob Nuelle arrive on scene minutes after her transport by Life Flight.
Timeline

Liz's parents were back-up contacts for Ring cam. IIRC SB was notified too.
According to A. Stoner's video one of the bullets ricochet and hit the front entrance area of the Barraza home. You can see it via the Ring (top right corner) cam ... look for white cloudy area.

Was the garage sale unplanned? I don't remember hearing that tidbit. She was trying to get more money together for their trip to Disney World. It wasn't a neighborhood garage sale. Just something she decided to do. It had to be planned bc I think on the show they said that her coworkers knew she had scheduled that day off prior. It wasn't advertised anywhere though. She was counting on the people driving by to purchase whatever she was selling. I am curious as to why Liz set the alarm on her house when she was sitting in the driveway. Was the garage door open so that she had access to the house? If so, then what's the point of setting the alarm to trigger if the front door was opened when they could have just walked in her garage?
It was Universal studios in Orlando and from what I have heard, she had the alarm armed because she was alone and if people started coming, she wanted to make sure nobody wandered into the house. I’ve been to garage sales before where people tried to just walk into the house, claiming they thought something else would be for sale inside.

Weird that she would just up and decide to take a day off and do a garage sale on that short of notice. Why? Why not wait until the weekend? Did they check her phone to see if she had been in contact with anyone? If she was already having issues with someone surely that information would be public by now.
They were going to Universal I believe that very next day. Fridays are a busy day in Texas for garage sales anyways.

• Early Morning [Unknown] Liz’s parents are notified by her alarm company that the alarm has been triggered and they cannot reach Liz. We left immediately for her home.
  • Early Morning [07:37 AM] Rosemary and Bob Nuelle arrive on scene minutes after her transport by Life Flight.
Timeline

According to A. Stoner's video one of the bullets ricochet and hit the front entrance area of the Barraza home. You can see it via the Ring (top right corner) cam ... look for white cloudy area.
IMO, ricochet may not be the correct term. It was a missed shot. MOO

Based on my own experience, I think that small motion in the driveway at the beginning of the video could be enough to set it off, depending on the sensitivity settings.

Also wanted to add that you can set it to only send a notification if a person is detected. I have one camera set this way and although it records cars going by, I don’t get a notification for those.

Based on my own experience, I think that small motion in the driveway at the beginning of the video could be enough to set it off, depending on the sensitivity settings.

Also wanted to add that you can set it to only send a notification if a person is detected. I have one camera set this way and although it records cars going by, I don’t get a notification for those.
Yes, I have 9 cameras, 8 are outside, and I have them set to record motion and people but only notify me for people. The reason for this is my dogs and the wind. I don’t need to be notified everytime it’s windy and tree branches move.

If there are any opportunities for the public to solve this, I’m interested in joining
Also- requesting Arrin Stoner develop a new video focused on tracking the Nissan truck both on the way in, and on the way out. Find out where the camera tracking Tromball police managed to do came to a dead end and why. Figure out businesses (both on the way to LB’s house and on the way from LB’s house) that might have additional footage that has yet to be uncovered. Consult on how that footage can be retrieved. Can we at least ballpark where the truck came from?

Last edited:
Timeline

Bbm I just wanted to correct this, they were back up contacts for the alarm company not for Ring, at least that’s what was said on the show and what the website says, they were notified by the alarm company that an alarm had been set off. When they couldn’t get a hold of Liz they went to her house.

They didn’t see the ring footage until LE showed them and asked if they recognized the person.

Also- requesting Arrin Stoner develop a new video focused on tracking the Nissan truck both on the way in, and on the way out. Find out where the camera tracking Tromball police managed to do came to a dead end and why. Figure out businesses (both on the way to LB’s house and on the way from LB’s house) that might have additional footage that has yet to be uncovered. Consult on how that footage can be retrieved. Can we at least ballpark where the truck came from?
My first question would be did investigators scour rentals during that time period?

OT, I didn’t know you could make it for only people! It’s awful on windy days with the tree outside my door haha. I will have to check that out.

My first question would be did investigators scour rentals during that time period?
I noticed in that segment they mentioned 2013-2109 Where I thought we previously had kind of ruled out then rental car angle because we thought it was an older vehicle. But surely they checked with rental car agencies.

It seems so unlikely that the trucks tags were not caught on any surveillance.

I noticed in that segment they mentioned 2013-2109 Where I thought we previously had kind of ruled out then rental car angle because we thought it was an older vehicle. But surely they checked with rental car agencies.

It seems so unlikely that the trucks tags were not caught on any surveillance.

My hope is that the police are being as aggressive as possible- For some reason I get the feeling they could do more- I don't know why I feel that way since I really don't know what they are doing to find the killer- it is just that I think technology could help them in so many ways and hope they are utilizing it to its full advantage- I mean you have the murder on video and you have the vehicle on video as well-

A LE letter to each owner of such vehicle. Call in or write back of previous owners and current location.
Note $50,000 reward in big letters.

Somewhere, somehow, somebody has seen this vehicle and know who was the driver/owner.

I feel like if the right person/area would know of this... there would be a break by way of the truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmjordan75