TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris Co, Jan 2019 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

On the Case with Paula Zahn 2022 - A Fairy Tale Ruined​

(short summary)

Detective MR's comment "If this doesn’t get solved it will haunt me until the day I die.”

On January 25, 2019, a neighbor heard four gunshots that morning from across the street. Neighbor saw Liz laying on the driveway and called 911.

Liz had been ambushed and had no chance to escape. There were no fire casings left behind. Murder weapon likely a revolver small to medium-sized caliber possibly a 380.

SB said he raced home from work because he knew something was wrong.

SB stated Liz and I were always kind of cautious people and had got a alarm system a ring doorbell.
Paula: SB was confused and used his phone to get a live look at what was happening.

SB: I opened up my doorbell camera and as soon as I saw it I saw there was police tape in front of the house. I see a police officer walk in front of it. I’m thinking what happened.

Paula: SB rewound the camera’s video and watched although he couldn’t see his wife from the driveway what he heard was just as terrifying.

SB: I was panning through the timeline trying to see what’s going on and I hear Liz screaming and then I hear gunshots.

Paula: SB listened to the video over and over again as he raced home. He immediately shared the critical evidence with police but it didn’t show investigators the most important detail who was Liz Barraza saying hello to just before the barrage of gunshots were fired.

On the Case with Paula Zahn 2022 - A Fairy Tale Ruined​

Continued:

Paula: What was behind Liz’s decision to have the garage sale?
SB: Liz’s decision behind the garage sale was ultimately Liz wanted to just raise a little extra cash for the anniversary trip we were taking.

Paula: SB said he had an early call for work that day at his flooring job. SB: stated he left for work that day at 6:47.

Paula: LE spoke with co-workers who backed up the time SB arrived.

Liz’s mom: Seeing her step back is the worst part because I knew she was afraid and that destroyed me to see her afraid and then to hear the gunshots and her screaming… it’s just really hard

SB: it was horrible. It was tragic. It was awful.

Detective MR: We were able to determine this was most likely a 2013 to 2019 Nissan Frontier four-door crew cab truck Pro 4X model dark in color most likely black.

Paula: on a normal day Liz would have already been on her way to the office.

Det. MR: The garage sale was not advertised on social media.

Paula: Most of the names (on the list) investigators discovered were within Liz’s inner circle, including friends from the pipeline inspection company where she was employed. Many knew Liz was taking the day off. Liz was the only employee not at work that morning. It was noted Liz’s work associates were cleared.

Det. MR. Asked SB does she have a life insurance policy and he said yes through her company and he didn’t think it was that much.

Paula: that policy was far larger than SB had led them to believe.
SB stood to gain twice the payout (double indemnity clause) of Liz’s insurance policy, SB was the beneficiary of all of her life insurance.

Both LB and SB phones checked out. Det. MR: they looked like a young married couple having the time of their life.

Paula: SB advised LE that his father was having money woes. LE confronted SB's father with their theory and he explained his son’s bounced check was nothing more than an accounting oversight. His business was solid. LE checked the father’s phone records.

Both SB and his father passed polygraphs.

Det. MR: I am confident that this case will be solved one day.

Any information you may have call Harris County Sheriff at 1-713-221-6000
Or call the Houston Crime Stoppers Hotline at 713-222-8477

IIRC, on neighbor’s CCTV, when the truck first drives by Liz walks down the driveway to place something (a sign?) at end of driveway and she walks back up the driveway. It didn’t appear that Liz noticed the truck driving by.

The killer exits the truck and (cuts through lawn) and quickly walks up the driveway, arms folded across the chest to approach Liz, there appears to be a short exchange of words, killer reaches in a pocket (?) or out of sleeve of a robe (?), Liz is handed something (?) (IMO killer extended left hand and Liz extended right hand to reach for something). It appeared that Liz noticed a weapon (killer aimed weapon with their right hand only), Liz takes a step back, and then shots are fired, Liz screams, a total of three gunshots. Killer steps over Liz (appears the killer is wearing a wig which falls forward) and shots fourth gunshot, killer sprinting back to truck and takes off.

The killer had no regard for the way the wig fell makes me think male. Yes, it’s confusing because I'm back and forth about male/female. Solid on Coward!

This narrative is in my opinion only and MOO.

Finally, I had the chance to watch A Fairy Tale Ruined. If there was a cloudy motive for the murder, the cloud vanished for me.

All LEO needs is to find the driver of the Titan truck. Apparently, that's been no simple task. They know why Liz was killed, imhoo. They will not stop. Liz will have justice served for her awfully cruel murder.

Nothing about this says random. It screams personal and inside knowledge imo. <modsnip>
Alternatively- someone was watching. What about gang initiation? Not sure about gang activity in that area.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you search Google maps there are several dark color trucks in Liz's neighborhood and surrounding area. Not sure of the make or model of these trucks, though the trucks are four-door crew cab type similar to killer's truck. IMO
I would think this truck may have a new paint job color to cover tracks. IMO.

I have been thinking about the outfit the shooter was wearing....long blond wig, robe and white Stormtrooper type boots. This seems like an odd and unique choice of garb. I would think a hitman would wear dark clothes and possibly a hoodie pulled tight around his face or a ski mask. So..... was the shooter asked to specifically wear that costume or was it his choice? Was the costume meant to bring attention to the 501st League? Was it to send a message to Sergio and the family?

If the audio is correctly transcribed I believe the shooter did not know there was going to be a garage sale that morning. He said something like "are you having a garage sale" and Liz said " Yup!" He may have also shown interest in the storm trooper helmet which also goes to a possible 501 League involvement.

Thoughts??? This is just my opinion only.
My first thought upon seeing the video was the killer was wearing a rain jacket and boots to protect clothing from backsplash of blood in close contact.
Perhaps they needed to go directly to work/school, possibly on camera for alibi. Just a thought.
Rain gear can be easily washed or discarded.

Edit to add, The look of the rain gear/boots could also help with a misdirection of looking in Star Wars group.

My first thought upon seeing the video was the killer was wearing a rain jacket and boots to protect clothing from backsplash of blood in close contact.
Perhaps they needed to go directly to work/school, possibly on camera for alibi. Just a thought.

Edit to add, The look of the rain gear/boots could also help with a misdirection of looking in Star Wars group.

Valid points and good observation. No doubt it appears premeditated thought went into the type of clothing.

Questions for ring cam owners/users:

Is it possible the color of killer's clothing is off (not actually white/off white)? Is color tinting being off a common issue?

Are ring cams known to cause error in color when it is dark or low lighting?

Does the account holder have the option to add a non-occupant user access to the cam, which would allow said user access to cam at anytime? If so, is there a limit of allowed users?

Questions for ring cam owners/users:

Is it possible the color of killer's clothing is off (not actually white/off white)? Is color tinting being off a common issue?

Are ring cams known to cause error in color when it is dark or low lighting?

Does the account holder have the option to add a non-occupant user access to the cam, which would allow said user access to cam at anytime? If so, is there a limit of allowed users?
Yes- in the dark, the IR sensor and illuminator distort all of he colors. All you can say is that the color was lighter and/or reflected more light. It could be shiny black and still look white if it reflects more of the ambient and IR lighting.

I believe Arron Stoner may have another video on this coming out this week. From what I’ve heard, it may contain new information.

I am itching to see this case be solved. Any ideas or brainstorming on what more that can be done to make progress on this case?
Are Arrin Stoner's videos allowed to be discussed here? His videos are how I found out about this case; I just finished both videos and would like to discuss the police incident reports he posted.

And I wasn't even thinking of anything so fancy. I was thinking a uniform shirt or jacket and/or a work badge or id shown to the LE who stopped the Nissan.

MOO.

(I know an EMT who has been stopped more than once for speeding but never gets tickets because he's one of the same "team", if you will. He justs shows his work id, chats a bit, and is free to go.... So my theory is based on this personal knowledge.)
I was a USPS mail carrier for a few years and we didn't get tickets either.

ADMIN NOTE

Arrin Stoner’s videos about Elizabeth Barraza‘s murder are approved for linking here on Websleuths.
HOWEVER, anything that is said in the video that is NOT within the Websleuths Terms of Service is NOT allowed to be brought here.
Please keep that in mind.
The TOS are still the rules that must be followed here.
Everyone here is expected to know them and follow them.

If you have a question, ASK A MOD OR ADMIN FIRST in a Report or a PM.
DO NOT POST SOMETHING AND SAY “MODS PLEASE DELETE IF NOT ALLOWED.”
That is not the way we do things at Websleuths.
If you don’t know for sure that it is allowed, don’t post it until you check it out with a moderator or administrator.
We will get back to you as soon as we can, which may be a day or so.

THANK YOU for helping us keep up the high standards of Websleuths.

The Paula Zahn show is on my DVR and I hope to watch it tonight.

I agree though that the truck is at the center of all of this; however, if the killer did not own the truck, that could be harder to track down. Especially if they borrowed it from an acquaintance or someone not immediately related to them.

I keep going back to the black truck that was pulled over and questioned mere minutes after the murder and very close to the scene. Either this was the killer or it was one of the world's biggest coincidences IMO. I can't image they wouldn't have this person's name if they stopped them to talk to them. Just don't have any/enough evidence to charge them or even get a warrant perhaps? Knowing not a whole lot about the law, would "truck matching description of a murder close by" be enough cause to search this vehicle? If not, and if the driver didn't consent to a search, they could have had their costumer/wig hidden away on the floor, under a seat, or wherever.
IIRC from the police report of the officer who stopped that truck, they did get the driver's licenses of both occupants, the license plate number, VIN number, etc.

Now there's a thought. The coat and boots functions like a HAZMAT suit. Afterwards, wash down the coat and boots and toss them with the wig. Of course, any splatter could be transferred to the truck. A thorough detail gets rid of some of that transfer. New upholstery even better.

Now I add something else that points to suspicion. Did anyone loan a truck and the person threw in a detailing as an 'appreciation' for the loan? Or came back from a long trip/military deployment to the truck being cleaner than before? Or did neighbors, acquaintances, or family note the person spending money and/or time cleaning and detailing the truck?

I honestly have never once thought raincoat until your post. I never wear a raincoat....do many people wear them? I think its possible but combine that with the wig and I think it's more likely some other garment. That is just my opinion

IIRC from the police report of the officer who stopped that truck, they did get the driver's licenses of both occupants, the license plate number, VIN number, etc.
I must have missed the confirmation of there being two occupants in the truck which was pulled over that day at the approximate time of 7:11 am. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teqtoshi