TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris Co, Jan 2019 #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this question has been asked before but I don’t remember the answer. Did Sergio and the killers truck pass each other in their way in/out of the neighborhood?
MOO, this is what I have for directions from Liz's home to Goddard School.

Head east on (from Liz's home) Cedar Walk Dr., turn right onto Oconee Dr. Turn left onto Princeton Pl Dr and turn left. Go 190 ft to Goddard School (8522 Princeton Place Dr.)

Info from Liz's parents' website:

• Early Morning [06:47:50 AM] The Nissan Frontier arrives and pulls into the neighborhood Princeton Place Drive from Kuykendahl Road and then drives into the Goddard School parking lot.
  • Early Morning [06:48:00 AM] The Nissan Frontier leaves the Goddard School parking lot to conceal on a different street.
  • Early Morning [06:48:00 AM] Sergio leaves the property to go to work, in a white panel van.
  • Early Morning [06:51:40 AM] The Nissan Frontier comes back into view and heads towards the Barraza home.
  • Early Morning [06:52:12 AM] The murderer does a 3-point turn on Cedar Walk, parks behind Liz’s car, and then exits walking towards the driveway where Liz is still setting up.

The Barraza neighborhood seemed like a maze of endless roads to travel through with several cul-de-sacs, a typical neighborhood. Unless you’re familiar with the area I’d think you would get lost when exiting especially in a panic. Turning around to drive back by the murder scene is bizarre! Did sirens and lights scare driver to decide to turn around and exit another way, resulting in driving by the Barraza home?

The truck was previously caught on surveillance camera driving through the neighborhood. Truck driver did not seem too worried about being caught (perhaps because of disguise) on camera driving through the neighborhood or parking at Goddard school. I can’t imagine how the killer wouldn’t be worried about being caught so that leads me to believe familiarity with said neighborhood and an escape route would not be much of a challenge. Moreover, as previously mentioned here perhaps killer does not own the truck and actual owner is unaware the truck was even used. MOO.
@arielilane Thanks for continuing to remind us of the truck activity that day. If only LE had identified that darn truck!.

The Barraza neighborhood seemed like a maze of endless roads to travel through with several cul-de-sacs, a typical neighborhood. Unless you’re familiar with the area I’d think you would get lost when exiting especially in a panic. Turning around to drive back by the murder scene is bizarre! Did sirens and lights scare driver to decide to turn around and exit another way, resulting in driving by the Barraza home?

The truck was previously caught on surveillance camera driving through the neighborhood. Truck driver did not seem too worried about being caught (perhaps because of disguise) on camera driving through the neighborhood or parking at Goddard school. I can’t imagine how the killer wouldn’t be worried about being caught so that leads me to believe familiarity with said neighborhood and an escape route would not be much of a challenge. Moreover, as previously mentioned here perhaps killer does not own the truck and actual owner is unaware the truck was even used. MOO.
Perhaps the perp did NOT drive back to the scene for any reason other than, like you said, he/she got turned around and forgot that they needed to go the other way, and past the crime scene, to flee. No matter how well-rehearsed this plot was, the immediate adrenaline rush from committing this type of crime could have caused "user-error". This is even more likely given that the perp is most-likely not a professional assassin. Adrenaline rushes of this magnitude normally cause a severe "fight or flight" response, and unless someone is very well-versed with this overwhelming feeling, they could well have forgotten the escape route. LE and fire/rescue/military go through a lot of training to overcome this phenomenon.

I think over and over, 'Why can't LE ID the truck?" Looking at two other cases today where LE ID'd a vehicle - Delphi murders and the 4 murdered Idaho students- LE could probably find blood/DNA of the victims transferred from the killer's clothing to the vehicle. But if LE does find this truck what possible forensic evidence tying it to the murder could they probably get from it? Gunpowder residue transferred to the upholstery? A good cleaning and time might eliminate that prospect. Besides, I'd hate to see what would happen if LE ever searched my car given all my times at the gun range. Killer was close enough to get blowback of blood and tissue and it transferred to the vehicle from clothing? I think that is long shot.

I begin to wonder if this person's property is searched for some other reason and the gun is found. That gun may be a better tie in to the murder than the truck. Especially if we are talking about a .380 revolver.

I think over and over, 'Why can't LE ID the truck?" Looking at two other cases today where LE ID'd a vehicle - Delphi murders and the 4 murdered Idaho students- LE could probably find blood/DNA of the victims transferred from the killer's clothing to the vehicle. But if LE does find this truck what possible forensic evidence tying it to the murder could they probably get from it? Gunpowder residue transferred to the upholstery? A good cleaning and time might eliminate that prospect. Besides, I'd hate to see what would happen if LE ever searched my car given all my times at the gun range. Killer was close enough to get blowback of blood and tissue and it transferred to the vehicle from clothing? I think that is long shot.

I begin to wonder if this person's property is searched for some other reason and the gun is found. That gun may be a better tie in to the murder than the truck. Especially if we are talking about a .380 revolver.
A murder well planned and executed. Killer had a hiding place for truck established in advance. I suspect early on after murder, truck was destroyed, painted and altered, or already out of the country. If LE didn't locate truck within week or so of murder, it was then too late. moo

Last edited:

I'm being hopeful in this New Year so read my post with that in mind. ;)

Perhaps the truck has been identified but the killer cannot be placed in the truck, at the time of the murder...etc. etc.

It wouldn't be the first time Law enforcement withheld from the public (Dan Markel murder believe it took 2 yrs to find the rented vehicle and another year for the first arrest) meanwhile they surveilled and wiretapped. In Liz's case, it was stated the Texas Rangers assisted with that infamous warrant we were all told about....makes me wonder why a warrant was announced before they had results? Seemed odd and why does HCSO need assistance? The Texas Rangers are skilled with cellular data, burner phones, and surveillance, and are known to liaise with Federal authorities (who wiretap) on cases.

It just seems we are told very little then there are two major releases: announcing the warrant and the POI in Miami. Is this to rattle? To stir things up? To generate activity or chatter between the parties? I can only hope.

LE has said they believe more than one person is involved: they want the head of the snake

Agree, not only is the Truck a little unique but a .380 revolver is as well.

I am not sure how uncommon. There are a few manufacturers. Taurus is the one that comes to my mind that has manufacturing based out of Miami.

If anything it certainly would be memorable to someone. They are very small (dollar bill sized); mainly used for self-defense i.e. conceal carry. You are not target shooting with these, or shooting long distances, the power and accuracy are not there. It is up close and personal. At least this is my understanding.

A great piece of circumstantial evidence if the shooter still owns the gun or had access to one.

Edited to add: most are double action which can cause a little pull of the gun (not recoil) but in aiming accuracy. I think the shooter at least had practiced with it before.

MOO, two individuals were involved that fateful day. If there is ever a serious conflict between these two it's likely one will blab. That could take awhile but who knows? Additionally, I'd think if there was 2nd person (passenger) wouldn't guilt be setting in?
I'd love to think guilt is eating away at everyone and anyone involved. That's usually not the case. If it is a conspiracy to murder case. Like you said it usually takes conflict or the first domino to fall to show any remorse. The remorse is all for themselves. They will be facing a capital murder charge. Probably qualifies for the death penalty in Texas. Life for sure. One of them will talk.

A little rusty with my laws so take that with a grain of margarita salt. :)

<modsnip - off topic>

Last edited by a moderator:
MOO, two individuals were involved that fateful day. If there is ever a serious conflict between these two it's likely one will blab. That could take awhile but who knows? Additionally, I'd think if there was 2nd person (passenger) wouldn't guilt be setting in?
I think two individuals. One implementing the plan and the other executing the plan. If a calculated arrangement with cash exchanged, I doubt one will blab. Just speculation and no theory in adherence to tos.

I don’t think the truck is connected to the killer at all, I think that’s why they can’t locate it. I think the killer drove back by the house because they needed to get the truck back where it belonged before it was noticed missing and that was the fastest way back.

I don’t think the truck is connected to the killer at all, I think that’s why they can’t locate it. I think the killer drove back by the house because they needed to get the truck back where it belonged before it was noticed missing and that was the fastest way back.
I agree. I don’t think this truck is owned or was owned by the killer. I think it was borrowed in such a way that it would be difficult to trace it back to the killer. Possible but you’d have to go down a rabbit hole to figure it out. JMO.

I agree. I don’t think this truck is owned or was owned by the killer. I think it was borrowed in such a way that it would be difficult to trace it back to the killer. Possible but you’d have to go down a rabbit hole to figure it out. JMO.
Agreed. I think the killer worked at a car dealership or some other business with access to vehicles other than their own and was able to utilize one for the murder and return it with no one the wiser.

I'm being hopeful in this New Year so read my post with that in mind. ;)

Perhaps the truck has been identified but the killer cannot be placed in the truck, at the time of the murder...etc. etc.

It wouldn't be the first time Law enforcement withheld from the public (Dan Markel murder believe it took 2 yrs to find the rented vehicle and another year for the first arrest) meanwhile they surveilled and wiretapped. In Liz's case, it was stated the Texas Rangers assisted with that infamous warrant we were all told about....makes me wonder why a warrant was announced before they had results? Seemed odd and why does HCSO need assistance? The Texas Rangers are skilled with cellular data, burner phones, and surveillance, and are known to liaise with Federal authorities (who wiretap) on cases.

It just seems we are told very little then there are two major releases: announcing the warrant and the POI in Miami. Is this to rattle? To stir things up? To generate activity or chatter between the parties? I can only hope.

LE has said they believe more than one person is involved: they want the head of the snake
BBM. This is what I lean toward. IMO

BBM. This is what I lean toward. IMO
Thank you! Glad I am not the only one. My mind plays tricks on me with this case and I get so despondent thinking LE has nothing.....there have been many times though where the detectives state they have suspects that they look at and continue to look at and go back and look at.

The PCA in ID case provided video footage of suspect vehicle to forensic examiners (FE) with the FBI that regularly utilize surveillance footage to identify the year, make, and model of an unknown vehicle that is observed by one or more cameras during the commission of a criminal offense. The FE specific training includes identifying unique characteristics of vehicles, and uses a database that gives visual clues of vehicles across states to identify differences between vehicles.

IMO, a FE certainly would go a long way with narrowing down the year of the Nissan truck, and perhaps confirm other relevant info concerning the truck. There is no doubt that several unreleased truck videos may provide more info, too.

I would like to know who the search warrant was for in Miami, and what came out of it.

Anyone have more than these two articles? TIA

Detectives say they are waiting on results of a warrant that they hope will break the case.

01/27/2020 - ABC 13 - Results of warrant could expose person

On Sunday, Harris County homicide detective Michael Richie hinted at "something coming down the pike" in the case. He said there is now a warrant in the case, stating, "I feel that the results of that warrant will be critical in the investigation and most likely will expose a suspect and who's responsible for this."

Anyone have more than these two articles? TIA

Detectives say they are waiting on results of a warrant that they hope will break the case.

01/27/2020 - ABC 13 - Results of warrant could expose person

On Sunday, Harris County homicide detective Michael Richie hinted at "something coming down the pike" in the case. He said there is now a warrant in the case, stating, "I feel that the results of that warrant will be critical in the investigation and most likely will expose a suspect and who's responsible for this."

@ around 4:53 in the attached video link the search warrant results are addressed.....paraphrasing below :D I'm horrible at typing and listening....

Although older the whole video is worth a watch. It is hard to find online. I saved it from January 2021. Liz's father also speaks at the end.

*************************************************************************************************************************************************
We had one search that went through the Texas Rangers with some electronic searches; it didn't yield any new information but did verify stuff we already knew...but nothing to go forward with.

Like I said Det Ritchie did file a warrant for some electronic media-type searches
the results we got back were nothing new; they were still what we had, so it verified some stuff about some leads.
***********************************************************************************************************************************************​

Last edited:
With everything we’ve just seen/read about he ID murders and LE asking for tips about the Elantra, etc. it really gives the impression that the man hours are not being put in on this case. It is a shame so much time has passed and justice hasn’t been found for Liz.
IMO, the timing of her murder and the truck circling the area, along with the murderer being in a disguise shows this was planned. I have my own theories about motives, that are most likely shared with some others in this thread, but will keep that to myself at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kjeezy123