TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris Co, Jan 2019 #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seem strange to try and sell the stormtrooper helmet at the garage sale when you're in the 501st Legion/Star Garrison. You certainly would know someone that might be interested in that helmet.
For me the garage sale alone still raises so many unanswered questions... among so many other unanswered questions.

moo

Last edited:
I reread the timeline posted on the Who Killed Liz? site but didn't see this listed there. Do we know what time the garage sale was to start? Very possible I just missed this.

If it was 7 AM, I think the killer was cutting this awfully close if they didn't want other witnesses there. Many people show up early for garage sales even by a half hour or more. So that makes me think the sale started at 8 AM and they were hoping to catch her out front setting up an hour+ before. If she had not been out setting up yet, I wonder what they would have done. Sat in the neighborhood and waited? Rang the bell with their disguise on?

How would Sergio’s dad know Liz had a life insurance policy at work or how much it was worth? No one in my family knows how much life insurance we carry and certainly not employer based life insurance.

If Sergio’s dad was having money problems, I’d guess this wasn’t some new problem so at what point would her life insurance policy be discussed with him?
S claimed he didn’t even know how much the policy was for. I can’t say I believe that but let’s say he didn’t know. Then how would his dad know how much? Some people get very small policies.

Below is an emerging theory I have, so MOO only. This theory is informed by the pieces of info and other speculation I’ve picked up from here and other sites. I will try to outline my theory without outright accusing anyone. Innocent until proven guilty.

L had a half million dollar life insurance policy at work, which I think may be the driving motivation in this crime. An individual close to S and L was experiencing financial problems, the financial problems impacted S as well. The insurance policy was seen as a solution to monetary issues swirling about. So perhaps someone close to S and L kicked this planned crime into gear. Could S have been aware somehow of idea swirling about?

POI in Florida was contacted, they were willing to do it for potential financial gain.

This is all I have so far, hopefully I explained it in a way that aligns with the rules of this site.

ETA: Crime was purposefully done before trip to FL for some reason individual who kicked off the crime had…financial in some way or for spite?

And this person coordinating the hit conveniently knew S's schedule, as well as the occurrence of the garage sale, and had some personal motives beyond financial strain... I think we're of the same mind on this one.

Possibly, but how does that scenario fit with the description of the killer? A young-ish adult male, not overweight, in good condition to sprint quickly back to the truck, etc. Does that description fit the FIL?
This would be the POI from Florida. And we do not know if they are male or female.

S was driving to meet his dad, who he worked for, at Loews during this time, from what I recall. Apparently he was called into work 10 minutes early that morning.

Last edited:
And this person coordinating the hit conveniently knew S's schedule, as well as the occurrence of the garage sale, and had some personal motives beyond financial strain... I think we're of the same mind on this one.

I am wondering where the minds of the police are these days - this is probably a cold case-
hope it hasn't been shoved somewhere into a file cabinet and not getting the attention it deserves-
I worry this case is languishing somewhere in a file cabinet-

I am wondering where the minds of the police are these days - this is probably a cold case-
hope it hasn't been shoved somewhere into a file cabinet and not getting the attention it deserves-
I worry this case is languishing somewhere in a file cabinet-
Since this unfortunate event occurred, there have been close to 1000 additional murders in the Houston area. Where does this case rank with the HPD? Do the math. This case is probably on a "respond only to additional tips" status.

It’s frustrating because it seems so solvable. Plus it’s so wrong what happened, no one should ever get away from something like this.

What is stopping police? Identifying lines of communication used between responsible parties? I sure would love to know more about the Florida POI…did police just not have enough evidence against this person? Did this person have an alibi? Who was with this person in the truck? Police can’t find truck, and we don’t know if they ever fully researched the videos from other homes or businesses on the route.
Temporary tags on truck? No one knows where the truck is or who it belonged to? So the police just give up?

Sigh…I just really think this is solvable…

I think there are some similarities with this case and Missy Bevers.

IMO both:

Pre-planned
Solid Alibi set up
Personal and angry attacks
Costume worn as a decoy to LE

Both still not solved many tears later.
The evidence points away from a pre-planned attack in the Missy Bevers case. The only thing that they have in common is that they are both unsolved.

It’s frustrating because it seems so solvable. Plus it’s so wrong what happened, no one should ever get away from something like this.

What is stopping police? Identifying lines of communication used between responsible parties? I sure would love to know more about the Florida POI…did police just not have enough evidence against this person? Did this person have an alibi? Who was with this person in the truck? Police can’t find truck, and we don’t know if they ever fully researched the videos from other homes or businesses on the route.
Temporary tags on truck? No one knows where the truck is or who it belonged to? So the police just give up?

Sigh…I just really think this is solvable…
I feel your pain, and so do many others. Maybe if the victim was blonde, blue-eyed and from a well-heeled family the results may be different. As Dr. Locard once said, "Every contact leaves a trace". Lacking DNA, this case has, from the beginning, required a lot of old-fashioned gum-shoe investigative work. LE has proven time and again that they CAN IN FACT find needles in haystacks, yet NOTHING has come from a crime committed in a such a VERY SPECIFIC vehicle-type? We can land on Mars, but we can't find that truck? And, barring that a complete stranger committed this act, there is IN FACT a link between the killer and the victim. Never in my life have I more wanted to be a detective, and on this case specifically. This perp deserves to be cast down into the bowels of the most violent prison in America.

Maybe they need to take the reward money and use it to hire a first-class private investigator. Hell, I'd even reach out to a psychic. Has a LE criminal profile ever been done? Why hasn't the FBI Behavioral Science Unit been called in?

I feel your pain, and so do many others. Maybe if the victim was blonde, blue-eyed and from a well-heeled family the results may be different. As Dr. Locard once said, "Every contact leaves a trace". Lacking DNA, this case has, from the beginning, required a lot of old-fashioned gum-shoe investigative work. LE has proven time and again that they CAN IN FACT find needles in haystacks, yet NOTHING has come from a crime committed in a such a VERY SPECIFIC vehicle-type? We can land on Mars, but we can't find that truck? And, barring that a complete stranger committed this act, there is IN FACT a link between the killer and the victim. Never in my life have I more wanted to be a detective, and on this case specifically. This perp deserves to be cast down into the bowels of the most violent prison in America.

Maybe they need to take the reward money and use it to hire a first-class private investigator. Hell, I'd even reach out to a psychic. Has a LE criminal profile ever been done? Why hasn't the FBI Behavioral Science Unit been called in?
Early in the case they had a warrant and they actually said at that time they hoped the case would be solved. I have heard nothing about follow up on that warrant, no mention who the warrant was for, like it never existed. I too believe this case is solvable but I get the feeling the police aren't trying that hard- especially since it is now a cold case---

When you actually watch a murder before your eyes you think it has to be solvable especially with the kind of technology we have today.

I love seeing the passion that is expressed here advocating justice for Liz Barraza!

At one point the Texas Ranger Division assisted LE, but I don't know whatever resulted from that.

There are many other resources and curious why they haven't been asked to assist. FBI, Sheriff's Office
TX Dept of Public Safety, TX Highway patrol. THere's got to be larger agencies to assist. Attorney General's office spoke once about Liz's murder, iirc.

Need that grainy video enhanced and there's got to be more unreleased video of the truck.

The life insurance policy, too bad it can't be paid out and used to help with expenses toward search of the coward(s) or toward reward fund.

All of this is moo.

I love seeing the passion that is expressed here advocating justice for Liz Barraza!

At one point the Texas Ranger Division assisted LE, but I don't know whatever resulted from that.

There are many other resources and curious why they haven't been asked to assist. FBI, Sheriff's Office
TX Dept of Public Safety, TX Highway patrol. THere's got to be larger agencies to assist. Attorney General's office spoke once about Liz's murder, iirc.

Need that grainy video enhanced and there's got to be more unreleased video of the truck.

The life insurance policy, too bad it can't be paid out and used to help with expenses toward search of the coward(s) or toward reward fund.

All of this is moo.
There has got to be a way that new-fangled technology can enhance that video!!!

Part of me wonders if this is a case of someone being sent to kill and got the wrong house? Did anyone nearby pack up and move afterwards, fearing they were the intended victim? Anyone shady in the neighborhood that wouldn't report the possibility to the police that they were the intended target?

We had a case very recently here in CO where some teens set a house on fire killing a family -- and it wasn't the "right house". Therefore no connection between the suspects and the victims.

I’m going to go back to early conversation Liz’s dad said. To do it the way that they did. I think that is key. More recently he said, it was highly planned and extremely personal. This looks really personal.

IMO, someone didn’t want Liz going to Orlando. The killer took a huge risk. I’ve always had the feeling that if they (shooter) were caught it didn’t matter to them.
… they (killer) were willing to take the risk. It was worth it to them. They're that angry, and that determined to kill Liz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake12