TX TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris Co, Jan 2019 #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am no garage sale expert, but Friday wouldn’t seem an ideal day to some? And with such a short time before the Sunday (I think) vacation trip. Seems odd why that day was chosen to start, Friday and Saturday. (Saturday and Sunday are typically used by many.) And if heading on an extended vacation, a two day garage sale would not be high on my list before departure.
I agree with your assessment that a garage sale immediately before an extended vacation would not be high on many people's to "to do" list. As for garage salers and garage sale customers..... They come in two general flavors:

Customers: A. Casual shoppers looking for deals on things they personally use B. Pro / semi pro "pickers" looking to purchase things for resale.

Salers: A. Casual Salers looking to unload excess stuff B. Pro / semi pro salers catering to "pickers".

Its not unusual for "B" customers to start on Friday as a way to beat the maddening crowds on Saturday. Likewise, "B" type sellers with pickers in mind will often start on Friday and hope to sell out by Saturday.

The victim appears to have been an "A". But.... if she was selling say, high grade cosplay gear, she might have been functioning as a "B" and started on Friday, hoping to get the high dollar cosplay stuff sold- then close early on Saturday.

These are all great points on the date and time of the yard sale.

I also wonder if there is additional insight as to who pressed for that sale? What individual(s) emphasized that it needed to be on those days and start that morning? Maybe it would help narrow some things. MOO
I was listening to a podcast last night and they said she put up signs that morning. I feel like that would have been a better time to execute her. You wouldn’t even have to leave your car.

For anyone who knows the lay of the land more, any thoughts on why the killer chose The Goddard School for a waiting spot? I realize this has likely been discussed but probably not for a while anyway.
I see online that the Goddard school in Tomball opens at 6am. Interesting choice for a waiting place indeed.

I was listening to a podcast last night and they said she put up signs that morning. I feel like that would have been a better time to execute her. You wouldn’t even have to leave your car.
I see online that the Goddard school in Tomball opens at 6am. Interesting choice for a waiting place indeed.
Wow! Good catch!!!
Okay, maybe there is a sign on the door with the hours, and because the early morning pre-view through the neighborhood scouting for a “lying in wait” place was dark, the killer didn’t realize that the school would be open so early. In the morning, drove up, saw the sign, and bee-lined out of there to wait somewhere else.

Wow! Good catch!!!
Okay, maybe there is a sign on the door with the hours, and because the early morning pre-view through the neighborhood scouting for a “lying in wait” place was dark, the killer didn’t realize that the school would be open so early. In the morning, drove up, saw the sign, and bee-lined out of there to wait somewhere else.
Schools have cameras all over. I'm surprised there isn't a view with the license plate visible. I'm also surprised someone would pull into a school not thinking about the possibility of cameras. Maybe it was dark enough the cameras couldn't pick it up and the murderer assumed s/he was safe? I cannot speak for this site, but our district has facilities and custodial staff as well as administration on campus at 6 AM (and before).

From a podcast I recently listened to, the family gives their theories after speaking to Det. Ritchie. Ritchie told them when the suspect(s) are arrested, they will be devastated. LE is holding their cards close and I believe it’ll be a matter of time.

Early reports stated that surveillance camera(s) at Goddard school were not working. LE is allowed to mislead in an investigation to my understanding. Nonetheless there were other active cameras in the neighborhood. I am confident as someone else stated it's only "a matter of time" before an arrest (moo).

In addition, imo, this horrible ruthless murder was done by someone (or directed by someone) who didn't want LB around for whatever ridiculous reason. They had no right to make that final conclusion and end her life.

Will be glad when all who were involved in the murder are apprehended, the monsters freedom is coming to an end. moo

From a podcast I recently listened to, the family gives their theories after speaking to Det. Ritchie. Ritchie told them when the suspect(s) are arrested, they will be devastated. LE is holding their cards close and I believe it’ll be a matter of time.
bbm
They know the murderer, and s/he is relatively close to them. So my understanding.

For anyone who knows the lay of the land more, any thoughts on why the killer chose The Goddard School for a waiting spot? I realize this has likely been discussed but probably not for a while anyway.
I often wonder about that too. One benefit I guess if using the school is that it was in the neighborhood and had a parking lot so the driver had a place they could lie low for a little while without having to worry about parking in front of anyone’s house and being noticed. On the other hand, they ran the risk of of being seen by cameras or parents or buses dropping off their kids. I also wonder if the driver knew that the Goddard school was a daycare or if they just thought it was just a regular school and expected kids and staff to show up later, like 7:30/8/9? Or if their disguise was meant to pass themselves off as a mom who just rushed out the house in a robe and stuff to drop off her kids?

I wonder too if the driver knew of Sergio’s possible route to work and wanted a place to lie low so they could see exactly when he left and pulled out of the neighborhood. On the hand though, maybe they realized that if they could see Sergio it was also possible Sergio could see them too and since their vehicle wasn’t as common in the area, and thus somewhat noticeable, they probably left before he could get there to reduce their risk of him spotting it. Or perhaps they were worried that if Sergio incidentally turned his head and saw them in the truck he would recognize them, hence the need to quickly conceal somewhere else?

The Goddard school is really a daycare so kids can be dropped off as early as 6am. So there had to be staff at the school and some parents going in and out.
Maybe there is even a possibility that there is a parent, staff member or teacher who incidentally caught something on their car’s dash-cam that LE already know about?

I'm guessing the killer didn't realize that it was a daycare, they were only there for 10 seconds before leaving according to the timeline.

But why pull in at all? It only delayed the killing by 10 seconds, SB still would have already left.

I'm guessing the killer didn't realize that it was a daycare, they were only there for 10 seconds before leaving according to the timeline.

But why pull in at all? It only delayed the killing by 10 seconds, SB still would have already left.

I personally think, to get prepared. Maybe send/read an SMS, check the gun, switch off the cellphone.

So I don't go to yard sales, but I know how other bulk sales are organized. Usually it is Friday 12-evening, all Saturday and 1/2 Sunday. Many people put wrong info to attract customers; someone told me she would always put "estate sale" and she'd always sell it all.
So I am not surprised with Friday. Too early though, maybe because all had to go by Sunday? As to why before the trip, if it was cosplay, maybe she wanted to get rid of clothes soon (moth) or she did have expensive stuff and didn't want to.leave it at home for the trip?
Someone has a good alibi. Or else LE has no clue which is totally possible.
It is interesting if she wanted to make it later but someone persuaded her to start earlier? It is dark on the street.

Early reports stated that surveillance camera(s) at Goddard school were not working. LE is allowed to mislead in an investigation to my understanding. Nonetheless there were other active cameras in the neighborhood. I am confident as someone else stated it's only "a matter of time" before an arrest (moo).

In addition, imo, this horrible ruthless murder was done by someone (or directed by someone) who didn't want LB around for whatever ridiculous reason. They had no right to make that final conclusion and end her life.

Will be glad when all who were involved in the murder are apprehended, the monsters freedom is coming to an end. moo
It slipped my mind that they said the cameras weren't working. If so, how were they able to confirm the perp went in the parking lot?

Here is one very straightforward question. I think the answer is "no", but I have read about such cases.

From the video, because I can only see what is very obviously seen, is it possible to tell whether the person grabbed something from the table, or not?

I have read about situations when someone would advertise "jewelry" or even "a diamond ring", in the hope of selling a family heirloom, or at an interest, and give their home address. There was a situation in my state when a father of the family was killed for a 2K diamond ring he advertised on Craigslist.

Now, these cases get known, so I doubt that an experienced seller would make such a mistake. And usually such things are not placed at the customer's end of the table. And it may be not a ring, but something of value to the cosplayers' group, or someone else. Small. I assume that she may have not advertised it, but perhaps someone knew?

Can anyone tell me if by video, we can rule out burglary, with the stolen thing being small but reasonably expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
world1971