TX TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris Co, Jan 2019 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to see Houston or local media outlet exclusively focus on Liz's case - report her story periodically to help keep it in the news. Just one reporter to latch onto this case and give it some attention. I believe people have forgotten about this case.

Wonder if phone records were obtained by authorities via a search warrant which would show who's been in the area most often.

Curious about traffic cameras, business cameras and neighborhood cctv's. I know that the "truck" supposedly went out of range of camera but there is still videos out there, you'd think?

moo

I'd like to see Houston or local media outlet exclusively focus on Liz's case - report her story periodically to help keep it in the news. Just one reporter to latch onto this case and give it some attention. I believe people have forgotten about this case.

Wonder if phone records were obtained by authorities via a search warrant which would show who's been in the area most often.

Curious about traffic cameras, business cameras and neighborhood cctv's. I know that the "truck" supposedly went out of range of camera but there is still videos out there, you'd think?

moo

I have to agree- it just seems to me that too many people have forgotten this case and I have no idea how it is being pursued by the police, or if it is sitting on a shelf gathering dust. I think there is a lot to work with in this case since the murder and vehicle are on video! From all the true crime I have watched (as we all have), I have determined that there are some detectives that are dogged in their pursuit of the perp and others, well, not as much. It is sort of the luck of the draw, plus, continuing investigation of an unsolved murder greatly depends on the family- families that keep calling the police and being aggressive in wanting to find the perp, often get results- If you have a passive family ( you know they don't want to bug the police)- then the case can get pretty cold.

Questions about the killer since it committed the senseless brutal murder of Liz Barraza.

Has the killer changed jobs often, having problems keeping employment?
Is the killer moving a lot, out of state or to another city?
Does the killer have an illicit drug addiction/abuse or alcohol abuse or both?

All speculation/moo
IF he - OR she - is local this would help. But if this killer lives in, say, San Antonio or Dallas, AND borrowed the truck without the owner's knowledge I doubt if anyone would make the connection.

I'm not entirely convinced this person lives is the Houston metro area. Given Elizabeth's connections with state-wide cosplay groups I often wonder if this killer actually lives a few hours away.

IF he - OR she - is local this would help. But if this killer lives in, say, San Antonio or Dallas, AND borrowed the truck without the owner's knowledge I doubt if anyone would make the connection.

I'm not entirely convinced this person lives is the Houston metro area. Given Elizabeth's connections with state-wide cosplay groups I often wonder if this killer actually lives a few hours away.
If the killer drove the truck from Dallas or SanAntonio, I believe they would be on toll roads and seen on highway cameras.Texas has many toll roads. I know that might not mean much since they got no license plate numbers on the truck near the scene. Still, I wouldn’t take the risk. Maybe they blocked the plates during the crime but you can’t do that going downs toll road without a big risk of getting pulled over. MOO. I feel like truck is local, or if it’s not, then maybe things are complex. Very curious about the LE Miami comment.

I had a 2.5 hour conversation over the weekend with Liz's parents. They seem like very wonderful people committed to seeing their daughter's killer brought to justice. The call was productive and enlightening.
They wanted to clarify a couple things that are out there in the public realm

1- There has been discussion as to whether or not Liz called out of work sick for the garage sale, or had requested the day off before hand. Liz's parents clarified, she took the day off in advance to ensure that the wheels of the company wouldn't stop turning in her absence. She took her role there very seriously.

2-It's been reported in some sources that Liz held sort of an annual garage sale before vacations, almost like this was an annual event. Liz's parents said that is not accurate, that she had had maybe one garage sale previously. They also told me that garage sales in Houston is a very busy and lucrative business w/ sellers & buyers being extremely active which is why Liz had it so early in the morning as to not miss the people who would be out and about. They also verified that the garage sale signs DID go up the night before, and that there were no social media posts by Liz about the sale. They also added that they didn't think Liz would have told a lot of friends about the sale because she didn't think her friends would be interested in buying anything she had to sell

I had a 2.5 hour conversation over the weekend with Liz's parents. They seem like very wonderful people committed to seeing their daughter's killer brought to justice. The call was productive and enlightening.

1- There has been discussion as to whether or not Liz called out of work sick for the garage sale, or had requested the day off before hand. Liz's parents clarified, she took the day off in advance to ensure that the wheels of the company wouldn't stop turning in her absence. She took her role there very seriously.

2-It's been reported in some sources that Liz held sort of an annual garage sale before vacations, almost like this was an annual event. Liz's parents said that is not accurate, that she had had maybe one garage sale previously. They also told me that garage sales in Houston is a very busy and lucrative business w/ sellers & buyers being extremely active which is why Liz had it so early in the morning as to not miss the people who would be out and about. They also verified that the garage sale signs DID go up the night before, and that there were no social media posts by Liz about the sale. They also added that they didn't think Liz would have told a lot of friends about the sale because she didn't think her friends would be interested in buying anything she had to sell
Thank you for providing us with that information. It is appreciated. My heart breaks for her parents-- praying this case gets solved.

Do Liz's parents feel the police are doing enough to find the murderer? Are they getting updates from the investigators? Have they considered hiring a private investigator? Did they talk about the shooting at Liz's job?

This murder makes me sick......I feel that more pressure needs to be put on the investigators and more awareness needs to be brought to this case. Someone has information.....someone at work or the 501 group. IMO

Last edited:
A couple of thoughts about recent posts:

1. Regarding the Google street walk: the Cypresswood area is not that close to Tomball. (I grew up in Cypresswood and went to church in Tomball). It's a good 20 minutes of highway driving away. Maybe 15 to allow for improved roads, but still not very close.

2. Do remember, for those of you not local, how huge Texas is. While I agree that the killer's car would likely be on camera somewhere out of town if he or she came from farther, it is also true that statewide organizations in Texas are very large. Houston area is on one edge of a giant state. It takes 13 driving hours to get from Fort Worth to El Paso, for example.

Do Liz's parents feel the police are doing enough to find the murderer? Are they getting updates from the investigators? Have they considered hiring a private investigator? Did they talk about the shooting at Liz's job?

This murder makes me sick......I feel that more pressure needs to be put on the investigators and more awareness needs to be brought to this case. Someone has information.....someone at work or the 501 group. IMO
I can maybe pass these questions along to them.

So she planned the day off in advance. I wonder how far in advance and who she told and why she was off? IF the garage sale was factored in advance by the killer I wonder if a party 2 or 3 times removed from a person found out about it.

I still wonder if the killer knew she was going to be off, but did not necessarily know about the sale in advance. Maybe the killer's original plan was to wear a disguise and ring the doorbell and shoot her in the doorway. Like the Killer Clown case.

Upon realizing there is a garage sale - either by seeing a sign in the earlier drive thru or driving by just prior - the killer improvises figuring she will be outside. Maybe they see Sergio's work van drive off and assume she will be alone. Sergio staying to help or her father helping would be an unknown factor and I wonder if the murder would have happened in either instance.

A couple of thoughts about recent posts:

1. Regarding the Google street walk: the Cypresswood area is not that close to Tomball. (I grew up in Cypresswood and went to church in Tomball). It's a good 20 minutes of highway driving away. Maybe 15 to allow for improved roads, but still not very close.

2. Do remember, for those of you not local, how huge Texas is. While I agree that the killer's car would likely be on camera somewhere out of town if he or she came from farther, it is also true that statewide organizations in Texas are very large. Houston area is on one edge of a giant state. It takes 13 driving hours to get from Fort Worth to El Paso, for example.
I looked up some of the larger cities - San Antonio, Austin, Dallas-FW, Corpus Christi - along with Ft. Hood and all are 3-4 hours away. Probably longer in time if the killer is from out of the area and chose to stay off toll roads.

Then again, Houston is one of the largest US cities with a population of 2.3 million. This person could still be living in the Houston area and be difficult to find.

Watched a YT video this morning by Det Ken Mains of the Cold Case Society. Near the end, he asks for those who have a friend or family member of a victim in a Cold Case to contact him. Det Mains is beginning a new series titled EXIT: Unsolved that will feature deep dives into those cold cases.

@arielilane would you be able to email Det Mains for the purpose of requesting he include Elizabeth's case in his new series? TIA

Kenneth L. Mains
Not sure am understanding your post, @DeDee. However, I believe I am, and please know that I am not a friend or family member of Liz Barraza, nor have I ever claimed to be. My only goal is to seek justice for Liz and for her family & friends. The ruthless killer and all that are (weak idiots) involved need to be apprehended! moo

I personally think more focus here should be on S imo - in terms of him being an indirect victim.

Sure, most of the time the SO is the culprit, but I think he may have been the intended victim all along.
Co-workers - previous or current - of S would be of specific concern, considering they all likely knew his schedule.
I really think that may well be worth looking at.

Either way, I firmly believe this one will be solved. Perhaps not soon, but eventually.

I don't recall posting this, its from Oct. 2022.

Tune in tonight as the @HCSOTexas Homicide Squad is featured on “On the Case with Paula Zhan” as they profile the case of Liz Barraza, who was killed in the driveway of her home in 2019. The show airs at 9 p.m. cst on Investigation Discovery (ID). @OTCPaulaZahn #HouNews

I remember it. BUT ANY spotlight on the case is worth it!!!!!!

Revisiting the "OB" pet theory, as it addresses the reason for the garage sale as well as any I've heard. All MOO, and we've chatted about this before, but for any who haven't spun through this angle: suppose Liz is angry at OB for bounced paychecks leading right up to trip, and has an altercation with OB about the same.. (as is alleged to have occurred).

From there, she has this garage sale for two reasons : 1. She and Sergio don't have as much spending cash as they planned because of the bounced checks, and 2. This garage sale is Liz's way to give "OB" the middle finger for impacting their anniversary trip due to his indiscretions. (Look what we need to do because you're so irresponsible!). I don't think she really expected to make that much money at this yard sale, so her motives for me lean more toward point 2 than point 1.

Point 2 explains why advertising wasn't important, because really only one person needed to know about it to fulfill that grudge. (And we understand OB is one of the handful of people that did know about it).

All MOO!
Curious if there were ongoing financial issues with OB with the Barraza's at the time the Barraza's lived at the apartment. I go back and front about OB - what sticks out for me is S no longer speaks with him, but not sure that is still true.

What is known is there appears to be security concerns for both Liz and S. Linked video (its in first 10 mins). Regarding that fateful day:

S remembers getting the "trigger" (poor choice of words, imo) on his phone, the alarm system on his phone, thinking what’s going on? This is weird - We (Liz and S) had just talked about it and he told her (Liz) if something happens, open the door and I’ll immediately know. So it caught me off guard that morning.

I'm curious if Liz and S were fearful and extra concerned about security because of the apartment robbery and the gunshot being fired at Liz's work? Moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member