TX TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris Co, Jan 2019 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
One could argue it was Rae, Harry Potter, Leia, or LOTR.

I think the robe was just their usual style, and the shooter was a fan of these types of genres, like Liz.
Wow, that is a can of worms that needs to be opened. I also think a cosplay centric motive is a distinct possibility.

But.... the Texas Star Wars galaxy alone is pretty big:

- 486 501st Legion (victim's group) members in Texas alone.
- About 360 in the Texas Rebel Alliance group in Texas.
- lets add double the combined total for all smaller groups: 1,600

So.... about what?- say 2400 committed Star Wars cosplayers in Texas. To say nothing of nearby states, large conventions pulling participants from all over etc.

Then the worms: As you state, the shooter may be a cosplayer from another genre that had contact with Liz via social media, a fan convention, comic book show, movie watch club etc.

I would not be surprised if a certain number of cosplayers have a primary interest (say Star Wars, LOTR), but also "mess around" with other genres. As a result, your suggestion of another genre in regards to the shooter is pretty plausible.

But.... how many people would these other genres add to the cosplayer total?

Last edited:
One other thing jumped out to me. I was of the opinion that the killer drove back by Liz only because they were lost, but according to Stoner's video, after I rewatched it carefully, the killer made it out to Kuykendal the main road out of the development, and once on that road, they had a better chance of getting away. Instead, they turned around and went back by Liz, so maybe people are right when they say that the killer wanted to ensure Liz was dead. The only problem I have with that is, you just shot her 3 times in the chest and once in the head. It seems like even the most novice of shooters would have to think that was enough to kill her so why risk going back?
Maybe to take a photo to prove to someone it was you who did it.

One other thing jumped out to me. I was of the opinion that the killer drove back by Liz only because they were lost, but according to Stoner's video, after I rewatched it carefully, the killer made it out to Kuykendal the main road out of the development, and once on that road, they had a better chance of getting away. Instead, they turned around and went back by Liz, so maybe people are right when they say that the killer wanted to ensure Liz was dead. The only problem I have with that is, you just shot her 3 times in the chest and once in the head. It seems like even the most novice of shooters would have to think that was enough to kill her so why risk going back?

IIRC It seems he passed the house before the murder and turned back and shot Liz and after the murder as you say went back by Liz again.. Has to be a reason.
Is it possible that maybe he picked up someone before the murder and dropped them off after ?

Posted this theory on Reddit but I'd like to post it here too:

To me, it's clear Liz was targeted, it was NOT random. For what, and by whom, I couldn't tell you.

Someone somehow knew that Sergio would be leaving around a certain time that morning and knew that they could strike very soon after he did. How they knew that I think is one of the big clues to this case. To me, this is likely someone close enough to know about the garage sale and what time it would be starting.
At the same time. Another scenario, what if the killer didn't know about the garage sale. What if they would have gone there planning to knock on the front door and would have shot Liz as soon as she answered, and instead found her outside setting up for the sale. I think this is less likely because Liz was safety conscious, and probably wouldn't have opened the door for someone suspicious, not to mention, they would have had to walk up to the porch right in front of the camera (assuming that they knew about the camera), so this again brings me back to the garage sale. Two possibilities here- 1) someone knew about the pending garage sale thru Liz or Sergio directly or 2) They happened to see the sign from the night before and decided to take advantage of it, which still wouldn't explain how they knew Sergio would be leaving at the time he did, so to me, this is someone that knew of the garage sale directly thru Liz and Sergio. They didn't post about the garage sale on social media, so that can be ruled out. If you gather a list of everyone who had advance knowledge of the sale, the killer is either one of those people, or was given the details by one of those people (whether or not they knew or didn't know what they planned to do to Liz. It could have been someone who casually mentioned it to someone else and inadvertently set the wheels in motion)

So, Compile a list of people that had knowledge of both the garage sale happening & Sergio's schedule, and the killer is going to be associated with that list.

I forget, what time did Liz typically leave for work? If she was normally gone by 7am, then that implies even more knowledge, that the person didn't randomly choose that day when Liz happened to be off and by some lucky break catch Liz outside. Furthermore, Liz got the day off in advance, so co-workers could be suspect if they knew about the garage sale and Liz saying "hey I won't be in Friday because I am having a garage sale" but then again, a co-worker being the killer would also have to know Sergio's schedule.

This is an excellent post and I like the logic and line of thinking here ..

i've been thinking about how it looks almost like liz is reaching out for something.
source: inside edition
I'm seeing: The killer approaches, raises his right arm (as if the arm comes out of a cape, the fabric is moving), Liz frightened takes a step back (as if she recognizes the gun), the killer now raises his left arm, Liz does not approach, but leans forward and raises her right arm towards the killer's left arm (as if seeing/taking something).
Today I have a different impression of the person than before: The killer has a tapping gait more like a woman than a man. My spontan thought was today: he moves like a homosexual male with affected and effeminate behavior. MOO

Also from what I could tell it doesn't seem that the driver slowed down at all when passing by the house... If that's true it kind of rules out the "checking to make sure she's dead" theory in my mind.

I'm seeing: The killer approaches, raises his right arm (as if the arm comes out of a cape, the fabric is moving), Liz frightened takes a step back (as if she recognizes the gun), the killer now raises his left arm, Liz does not approach, but leans forward and raises her right arm towards the killer's left arm (as if seeing/taking something).
Today I have a different impression of the person than before: The killer has a tapping gait more like a woman than a man. My spontan thought was today: he moves like a homosexual male with affected and effeminate behavior. MOO
Also from what I could tell it doesn't seem that the driver slowed down at all when passing by the house... If that's true it kind of rules out the "checking to make sure she's dead" theory in my mind.
Yes, the 'going back' drive by has always bothered me. WHY?

I thought maybe to make sure she was dead at first, but it never seemed quite right. But if it is true that this is someone who knew the couple, and if this was really personal, a real need to kill her----maybe they just wanted to see her dead, to see the outcome, maybe savour it?

Yes, the 'going back' drive by has always bothered me. WHY?

I thought maybe to make sure she was dead at first, but it never seemed quite right. But if it is true that this is someone who knew the couple, and if this was really personal, a real need to kill her----maybe they just wanted to see her dead, to see the outcome, maybe savour it?
To me this looks like they saw/heard or monitored the police and knew they were almost there before the killer was able to exit the complex of streets in Liz's housing subdivision. They turned around to avoid the police.

I don't think they were lost because they seemed to be able to navigate the school and side streets to time the hit perfectly.

I just released today part 1 of a 2 part discussion about Liz's case on my podcast The Murder In My Family with her parents Robert & Rosemary as my guests. We are also joined by Andy Kahan of Crimestoppers who has been an advocate for her parents and the case.
We don't talk a lot about the theories, the rumors, the clues, the details. The conversation is more geared toward the aftermath of the murder, and the road that her parents have been on since the beginning trying to get justice for their daughter
Thrilled to see you feature this case ... Thank you Morf!!

I would really, REALLY like to know if the POI in Miami, the person Sergio initially named as having a problem with Liz, the person that someone on this forum linker back to a similar style truck and Star Wars fan on their social media pages, and the person pulled over in a truck matching the description early in the morning in that area where all the same person.

If all four of them are the same person…yikes

The longer this drags on, the more I am feeling shades of Jayme Closs. By that, I mean that it was an attack targeted at Liz, but in the sense that it was carried out by some demented individual who had no true connection to her, instead having come across her in passing- coffee shop, picking up the mail, whatever mundane thing. The creature- I no longer type its name- who kidnapped Jayme had absolutely no connection to her other than in his mind, so there was no connection for police to be able to make. Jayme was able to rescue herself, which IMO is the only reason we ever found out what had happened- there was just nothing FOR LE to put together. Since Liz obviously cannot speak for herself, it is going to be a lot harder, nigh impossible, for LE to assemble any puzzle pieces if I'm right. IMO MOO
Those are the hardest ones to solve- when the killer does not have some firm connection to the victim

I personally think the shooter was showing Liz something with their left hand. I think it was probably something on a phone. Liz takes a HUGE step back then leans in forward to look, this is shot before she can react.

The shooters skill and knowledge is up for debate too. I can’t decide if they used the revolver because it was all they could get on short notice (implying they may not be familiar with guns) or if it was super strategic, as revolvers are not common as much anymore, don’t eject the shell casings, and are extremely unlikely to jam (implying they may know a lot about guns).
That's exactly what I see.
She certainly jumps back when she sees the gun, it's clear as day, yet, she then appears to step back forward and take something with her right hand after the killer reaches out to her with his/her left hand. In my opinion, whatever the killer told her- whatever he/she was giving/showing Liz, was so shocking to her and such a gut punch, that for a second, she forgot she had a gun pointing at her and stepped forward to look at what they had because it was so powerful.
To me, that's a big clue

I just watched the video a few times. While I don't have a strong conviction to this speculation, that looks like the stride of a male to me. I find the approach interesting; a solid stride, but not an overly fast pace; confident. I see confidence and knowing in how that gun is being held and fired. Not a novice. The final kill shot seems almost "routine", something someone would do who has done this before. Someone experienced.

I'm starting to have a solid speculation form in my mind, and I don't like it. Poor woman.

Amateur opinion and speculation

I would really, REALLY like to know if the POI in Miami, the person Sergio initially named as having a problem with Liz, the person that someone on this forum linker back to a similar style truck and Star Wars fan on their social media pages, and the person pulled over in a truck matching the description early in the morning in that area where all the same person.

If all four of them are the same person…yikes
As far as I know, POI in Miami is a totally different person from whom Sergio stated as having a problem with Liz. I highly doubt the person S named was who was pulled over in the truck.

I also don’t think POI in Miami is same as the Star Wars fan.

Not sure about the rest.

A random crime, a crime of opportunity by an unrelated lunatic was my initial theory in this case. Perhaps even an angry neighbor who had a garage sale flyer blow into their yard for example etc...

I changed my mind when I saw the precise timeline. It's difficult to ignore that this person came by the night before, then in the morning pulled into the school and then onto another side street to delay their arrival just long enough for her husband to be gone; and on a morning where their routines were anything but routine. It just seems highly improbable for a random person who came there not knowing anything about the garage sale or their schedules to do this. What are the chances of getting all that exactly right by accident.

The one thing I am certain of is that the truck did not belong to the killer. If it did then they would have been linked by now.

As far as I know, POI in Miami is a totally different person from whom Sergio stated as having a problem with Liz. I highly doubt the person S named was who was pulled over in the truck.

I also don’t think POI in Miami is same as the Star Wars fan.

Not sure about the rest.

I know who the POI in Miami is (not their specific identity) but I don't know if it's something I am supposed to put out there, so I don't think I should for now

A random crime, a crime of opportunity by an unrelated lunatic was my initial theory in this case. Perhaps even an angry neighbor who had a garage sale flyer blow into their yard for example etc...

I changed my mind when I saw the precise timeline. It's difficult to ignore that this person came by the night before, then in the morning pulled into the school and then onto another side street to delay their arrival just long enough for her husband to be gone; and on a morning where their routines were anything but routine. It just seems highly improbable for a random person who came there not knowing anything about the garage sale or their schedules to do this. What are the chances of getting all that exactly right by accident.

The one thing I am certain of is that the truck did not belong to the killer. If it did then they would have been linked by now.
Very well said, on this morning their activities were NOT their normal routines, yet somehow the killer knew that

Thank you, @morf13. Excellent work, well worth the listen and will be referencing your podcast again & again. Appreciate the honesty and information the podcast had to offer and look forward to part 2. Justice for Liz and her family.

Out now EP139; #ElizabethBarraza #LizBarraza part 1/2 shot multiple times in her yard in #Tomball #Texas on 1/25/19 as she set up for a garage sale & died in the hospital. Despite the murder/killer/get away vehicle all being caught on camera NO ARRESTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sumzoe24