TX TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris Co, Jan 2019 #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
S does not seem to me to be guilty. I think it’s someone else. But it did just occur to me to ask if S has ever wondered (on the record) if he could have been a target too, if he’s ever expressed fear that the person might have wanted to — or still wants to — kill him. If he ever thought, even that day, that maybe he would be dead too if he hadn’t left early.
I would expect him as an innocent man to have wondered about that.
Of course it does seem that the killer waited for him to leave, but he shouldn’t have known that right away.
JMO, more of a question really.
Very good point. He continued to live in the same house for a while afterwards. Perhaps LE has info and a POI that specifically meant to target LB. JMO

I don't think there's any way to track a person merely by having their gmail account info. I can only track phones who are on the same account as me. It would be a huge and ongoing public issue if it were at all easy or possible to track any person once you had their phone number - much less through gmail (although I suppose it's possible that some people put their phone numbers in their gmail signature line).

IMO.
Even if someone knows your (or my) password?

That's not my understanding. Google servers may have it - but my gmail account does not. I am a longterm gmail user. I know that android users find their location data in gmail, but I don't. Mine is online on icloud.

If a person uses maps.google, then google has a record of where they have been. But if you do not use maps. google and instead use, say, apple's mapping system, your location does NOT show up on google.

Gmail has no clue what my phone number is. How would it track me?

If if you have a link to explain it - I'd like to see it. But I've worked in forensics (and more on the digital side for the past 10 years) and I do not believe gmail (I have about 10 gmail accounts) knows where I am - on any of my accounts.

But icloud does.

IMO. And I could turn off location services (which is part of my phone's OS - and that is IOS, not android) if I did not want to be tracked, but I do.

But nope, no way to find out where I've been on gmail or my larger google account. Do you know which of the menu choices I'd have to pick to get this? Because none of the ones I have provide this information. Maybe I'm missing something. In the podcaxt, To Live and Die in L.A., it's clear that LE had to go to Google with a subpoena to get google map data. You're saying that data is also on my own account - but I don't see it. I don't even understand how it would be possible, since gmail doesn't know my phone number nor is my location data sent to gmail.

IOW, what option would I have to enable to get this service?

TIA.

ETA: I did go check maps.google within gmail - it can't even find my phone right now, and I'm sitting next to it, much less provide any information on where that phone has been. What other way would an app have of tracking where I am? What it does show are places I've input into Google maps, in order to get directions (but since I rarely have to go anywhere that I don't know how to get to - my "recent" places are...just my workplace). It doesn't show my route, it doesn't show the several errands I just ran, etc.

Oh, and it also shows a BUNCH of places I've never been (including places I've saved due to true crime interest - but also Tintangel and Stonehenge are in my saved places - because I WANT to go there...that's what google maps is saving to the google interface. I think it's a disservice to Google itself to claim that it snoops on our phones (when it doesn't even know my phone number! I use a different recovery method - and have never been prompted to do otherwise, nor would I).

I don't like people to be any more paranoid about being tracked than they already are, personally. Nor do I want someone relying on maps.google or "gmail" as a security feature that can later tell family members where a person has been. Surely a device would have to be attached to said person - and if we don't tell Google what device to track (which it can't track anyway, as it is not my phone carrier NOR my Apple account).

Do Android users get the same features that I get from Apple? I suspect so - and I bet there's a way of disabling that, just as there is on iPhone.
I agree. I think I'm typing Gmail when I really should have clarified that I was thinking more of Google maps. (If you use Google maps) Yes, on Android you can delete or disable I'm pretty sure there are several options.

Maybe, SB left his car at the morning meeting point and used something like a corporate bus with his workers? Time for manipulating his car in some way.
Idk, if he ever changed the vehicle and if his company has workers/employees. Speculation only.

I wonder if it could be something like life 360 app. Let's say you have your family on it. Can you then share your location with someone? Or you family members' location? I think it might have been one of such apps.

P.S. there are many phones that use pairing programs. T-mobile uses "Digits", I bet two people sharing Digits can see each other. It is used to flip calls between the phones. I bet such apps exist in all cellular companies. Maybe the answer is simpler, to find out what carrier they used, and what apps the carrier offered.

Last edited:
Very good point. He continued to live in the same house for a while afterwards. Perhaps LE has info and a POI that specifically meant to target LB. JMO
Moving out when your spouse dies isn’t always as simple as just putting the house up for sale and getting an offer and moving. It depends on if there was a will, if he needed to probate, whose name was on the mortgage/deed. This could explain why he stayed for a while.

The reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible is now up to $50,000.00.

If you have a tip, please call the Crime Stoppers of Houston Tip Line - all calls are completely anonymous. Only tips and calls DIRECTLY TO Crime Stoppers are anonymous and eligible for a cash reward.

+1 (713) 222-TIPS

Does anyone know the reason L and S never had children?

They were rather young when they got married, so it is not surprising and Liz was only 29 when she died. In this age group in our time and given that they were college grads, there is usually no societal pressure to have children young. Of course there might be individual reasons, but looking at their ages, it was the first thing coming to my mind, and no red flags there.

I have a factual question. Are facts of SB’s life after LB died published? I know he remarried in a year. How soon did he and his new wife welcome an addition to the family, his child?

In no way judging or even thinking that it points to anything. But if it has been published and I missed it, I’d like to know.

Last edited:
I agree. I think I'm typing Gmail when I really should have clarified that I was thinking more of Google maps. (If you use Google maps) Yes, on Android you can delete or disable I'm pretty sure there are several options.

We're on the same page now. I do use Google maps, but have disabled location services on it. I feel our iCloud tracking is enough. Also, I can't figure out how to use it easily! Doh!

Google maps data is stored by Google, for sure. I assume that even with my location services (visible tracking) turned off, Google still knows where I am. But someone hacking into my email would not be able to see much about where I am and certainly not in real time. I have actually been hacked on Gmail one time (they signed in from another country and Google alerted me immediately via both that account and the account I gave them for security). I had an overly simple password. Fortunately, I don't do anything very important on that account - but chose a much stronger password.

All of this is interesting, because I truly do *want* to be tracked easily by family, in case I should disappear! (Or lose my phone, ha). I hope you don't think I'm being unduly argumentative - I do want others to use these services to feel safe. The services can be turned off - but I think it's important, especially for women who sometimes travel alone, to avail themselves of the security part of it.

So I think that Liz was watched, all right - but by someone with eyes on her. Or who had access to her phone via a shared account.

I got to thinking about the anti-gang task force involvement, too. And it hit me, since I used to attend the meetings of our local Sheriff's anti-gang task force, that...one of the more common interactions between gang members and non-gang members was to sell stolen guns and other contraband that was often sold in the same manner as drugs on the street. Many cases of someone buying a stolen weapon with the numbers removed. I was able to get data from some of my students (former gang members/perhaps somewhat current gang members) about these transactions and it was very alarming. Some of the guns were stolen right off of docks, as they came into the US for sale from manufacturers. I had a student who became a dock worker (can't think of the proper work title), and he was slowly pressured to cooperate with other co-workers who were part of a gun-stealing operation (it was more complicated than I would have thought). He basically had a nervous breakdown, he was *not* the criminal type, so he quit. I of course shared this information with LE (with his permission).

So...is it possible that someone in prison is getting Brownie points for revealing that they sold a gun to someone known to Liz Barraza?

Maybe I'm being way too overly imaginative this morning. Reading about organized crime right now (and have been reflecting on my past experiences with LE, as I've just retired and looking back is suddenly in the forefront of my mind). It could run much deeper, of course (this "gang"/organized crime connection). Perhaps there was indeed a hit person and maybe that person is coming round to talking. Someone out there is sleeping very uneasily, I would imagine.

IMO.

You read my mind.

If their marriage was in a good place, with no issues, no affairs, nothing...then who close to Liz had MEANS? and MOTIVE?
Is it possible someone was tracing her whereabouts with an Apple AirTag or Sergio?
The timing from when Sergio lives is beyond crazy super tight timing? How could someone spy without being across the street? Any neighbors resent them? Is anyone upset with their garage sales?

Trying to look at it from a different side.

Liz had life before she married Sergio, she lived in FL, and to me it seems that she was an independent person. She might have had a personal enemy, a person hating her, and especially if that person knew about the life insurance, there was no better way to make this case never solvable.

If a woman lives alone, the first line of suspects is her intimate partner; if there is no such person, then, her relatives and family and then her circles of friends.

But if there is a husband and a life insurance, he is automatically the first suspect. It takes years to clear him and in a way, there is always a cloud of suspicion hanging around him in the court of public opinion.

That arithmetically close timing before his departure and the murderer’s arrival doesn’t provide him with an alibi. The opposite: it casts a suspicion on SB…but what if this is exactly what the murderers wanted?

So what happens: there can’t be two task forces about the case. Logically, everyone is suspecting the husband, and even if his alibi stays, there is always this “what if?” question. So he and his alibi distracts police’s force and attention.

It takes time. And the longer the time, the less chance of the case being solved.

JMO - an absolutely theoretical situation. But just hypothetically, imagine that there might be other people with own financial gain. (An example: In any family there potentially can be an eccentric millionaire grandfather and Liz being one of five people standing to inherit a lot from him. That fact, theoretically, would be totally obscured by her husband and his gain.) No one is looking further than her husband. Ideal for the killers.

At least S. mentioned a woman disliking Liz. People who say “everyone loved her” are either unaware, or don’t want to give information. No one lives in vacuum, and we all have people disliking us. The trick is to make this comprehensive list.

Someone mentioned MO’s killing. I think KA thoughts were: they will either blame it on robbers, or if not, CS was the last person to see Mo. KA’s execution was bad, so she got caught.
The person who killed LB might think the same, they’ll blame it either on random robbers, or the husband.

We're on the same page now. I do use Google maps, but have disabled location services on it. I feel our iCloud tracking is enough. Also, I can't figure out how to use it easily! Doh!

Google maps data is stored by Google, for sure. I assume that even with my location services (visible tracking) turned off, Google still knows where I am. But someone hacking into my email would not be able to see much about where I am and certainly not in real time. I have actually been hacked on Gmail one time (they signed in from another country and Google alerted me immediately via both that account and the account I gave them for security). I had an overly simple password. Fortunately, I don't do anything very important on that account - but chose a much stronger password.

All of this is interesting, because I truly do *want* to be tracked easily by family, in case I should disappear! (Or lose my phone, ha). I hope you don't think I'm being unduly argumentative - I do want others to use these services to feel safe. The services can be turned off - but I think it's important, especially for women who sometimes travel alone, to avail themselves of the security part of it.

So I think that Liz was watched, all right - but by someone with eyes on her. Or who had access to her phone via a shared account.

I got to thinking about the anti-gang task force involvement, too. And it hit me, since I used to attend the meetings of our local Sheriff's anti-gang task force, that...one of the more common interactions between gang members and non-gang members was to sell stolen guns and other contraband that was often sold in the same manner as drugs on the street. Many cases of someone buying a stolen weapon with the numbers removed. I was able to get data from some of my students (former gang members/perhaps somewhat current gang members) about these transactions and it was very alarming. Some of the guns were stolen right off of docks, as they came into the US for sale from manufacturers. I had a student who became a dock worker (can't think of the proper work title), and he was slowly pressured to cooperate with other co-workers who were part of a gun-stealing operation (it was more complicated than I would have thought). He basically had a nervous breakdown, he was *not* the criminal type, so he quit. I of course shared this information with LE (with his permission).

So...is it possible that someone in prison is getting Brownie points for revealing that they sold a gun to someone known to Liz Barraza?

Maybe I'm being way too overly imaginative this morning. Reading about organized crime right now (and have been reflecting on my past experiences with LE, as I've just retired and looking back is suddenly in the forefront of my mind). It could run much deeper, of course (this "gang"/organized crime connection). Perhaps there was indeed a hit person and maybe that person is coming round to talking. Someone out there is sleeping very uneasily, I would imagine.

IMO.
Absolutely not argumentative. Actually, Thanks for clearing the confusion. I agree definitely the technology can make us feel more secure, and that's important. I agree with everything you posted. Thanks, again.

Ok,

After researching the 501st Legion a little more, I came across a page that covers the election process (Sergio mentioned this), disciplinary actions (which include what to do if you witness wrongdoing or have a problem with your leaders), and instructions on how to handle donations (with subsection about wrongdoing).

With this, it isn't really that hard for me to imagine Liz witnessing something, reporting it or planning to report it, and then being targeted by the person who was in the wrong in the first place. This person (who I believe is a mother in the 501st Legion with long black hair) may have learned Liz was going to report it, was directly confronted by Liz about it, or was just a really paranoid mess and thought Liz was or was going to be the reporting person.

Ok,

After researching the 501st Legion a little more, I came across a page that covers the election process (Sergio mentioned this), disciplinary actions (which include what to do if you witness wrongdoing or have a problem with your leaders), and instructions on how to handle donations (with subsection about wrongdoing).

With this, it isn't really that hard for me to imagine Liz witnessing something, reporting it or planning to report it, and then being targeted by the person who was in the wrong in the first place. This person (who I believe is a mother in the 501st Legion with long black hair) may have learned Liz was going to report it, was directly confronted by Liz about it, or was just a really paranoid mess and thought Liz was or was going to be the reporting person.
Lonewanderer, may I ask how you've narrowed down an actual person? Are you familiar with the 501st? TIA, Friday.

Even if someone knows your (or my) password?

Only if you have allowed Google certain permissions - or have an Android phone and have location services on it.

You can enable location services via your use of Google the maps - but it doesn't track your locations the way your phone does.

I have an Apple phone. If someone logged into my apple account, then for about 60 seconds, they could see where I was. To see where I HAD been is not a possibility on the standard apple settings.

I don't think it's standard on androids either.

How would Google or Gmail know where you are, unless it could access your location data? Google maps is one source of it (which I have disabled); the other is via your phone (I've never given Google any phone number).

So no, it doesn't just automatically track anyone. If you had my password, and tried to change my settings, it would send an alert to another email account (not gmail in my case - no oneu should use another gmail account for their security on Google - but I guess some people could - then they'd need the password to THAT account and would have to go in and okay the other account having its security settings changed).

Then, the next time I signed into my regular account, there would be a pop-up saying "Your security options were recently changed - want to review?" IOW, someone with my password could try and enable location services. For me - it would be only use of Google maps. And that doesn't give any indication of *when* I was there - just *that* I was there (latest place first - doesn't go back very far and is not real time).

So I'd be notified twice about this change. And obviously, if LE has access to Liz's gmail, they'd know that too (which I assume they do have). The sender's device would be embedded in the information available - so it's a good way to get caught hacking/messing with someone.

Again, only my phone has location services. Google doesn't know my phone device ID OR its phone number. I guess some people add it - but I don't see an easy way to add it. In fact, I can't find a way to add my phone to my Google account at all, so it's not an obvious thing - and Google doesn't ask for it when you join.

I do allow Google to see where I've been on Chrome. So it knows I come here - but I do not get any true crime related spam or information. I allow it to see what shopping places I've gone - so I can get personalized ads relevant to my interests - which I actually like. But that can be easily disabled and Google reminds me of this a few times a week!

The person Sergio mentions in the dashcam footage and the written report sets off massive alarms for me.

<modsnip>
What I have wondered about him mentioning her is that he didn’t mention her at all in the Paula zahn show. He brought up his dad and according to the dash cam and police reports, he didn’t bring him up at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I have wondered about him mentioning her is that he didn’t mention her at all in the Paula zahn show. He brought up his dad and according to the dash cam and police reports, he didn’t bring him up at all.

It is a little strange…

I have wondered if the person he mentioned had some kind of leverage on him, or even some kind of compromising information/pictures of him or Liz.

Just seems like he backed off of it, seemingly after he thought it through a bit.

“Nerd culture” and BDSM/kink/furry/cosplay fetish often overlap each other in the Venn diagram of these interests. It’s not something I’m sold on like some of the things I’ve learned, but it’s an angle worth considering IMO.

It’s been stated that Liz was a cautious person, an extremely cautious person. It's been noted that she would keep her car parked in the garage with doors locked and then pull out of the garage and the interior doors would stay locked prior to backing out of the garage.

See Bonus footage: Begins right before the 28:00 mark

However, the morning of the garage sale, Liz leaves her home from the front door, not the garage. Liz’s vehicle is already outside, parked in the driveway. Liz gets in to her car, sits there for about a minute and drives to Starbucks. Once she returns from Starbucks, she parks her car on the street, walks up to the house, makes a funny face at the Nest camera. Does this look like someone who is afraid?

She did not appear afraid.

Interesting that but not a deal breaker, Liz’s hair changed from a ponytail to hair pulled up in a bun.

S helps her set up the heavier items (table, treadmill?) and leaves the house for Lowes.

After the coffee trip, not even an hour later Liz is killed.

Deflect. Does a person name a group of people and than quickly changes it to naming one person? And in another show does a person name another person to deflect and put focus on that person? There's a lot of changed stories and deflection. There is also mention about certain things, that should not have been known. moo

Deflect. Does a person name a group of people and than quickly changes it to naming one person? And in another show does a person name another person to deflect and put focus on that person? There's a lot of changed stories and deflection. There is also mention about certain things, that should not have been known. moo
You got me. A group of people??
Eta I agree lots of deflection..
Also, edited to add; more info, please?

You got me. A group of people??
Eta I agree lots of deflection..
Also, edited to add; more info, please?
In the dash the first reference we hear to someone who may want to harm Liz is a general reference to people in 501st because of elections. Then later when officers ask who it was that wanted to harm her he mentions a specific person. The start of the conversation with SB is not clearly audible though so we may be missing relevant context.

ETA- it is odd how he goes from suggesting someone in 501st then later suggests his own dad. In the video it’s clear though that he doesn’t strongly believe it’s the person in 501st. It sounds like maybe they asked if they were having issues with anyone and those people just slipped out since that was the only drama. Again we may be missing information or context.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member