TX TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris Co, Jan 2019 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Garage sales are very common and popular in my area. Lot of people show up and you can have your sale done by noon. But usually do have more than one person doing it.

Yes, it would be hard if someone needed a bathroom break, so she didn't expect help from anyone, not a family member. or a neighbor or a cosplay friend?

Yes, it would be hard if someone needed a bathroom break, so she didn't expect help from anyone, not a family member. or a neighbor or a cosplay friend?
Originally both parents (and her father is always armed - 2nd linked video) were to help with the sale EARLY. Her father canceled the night before but her mother was still coming later...IMO this narrows the pool to a very very small pool of people that would know this.

Starts around 9:45 (both parents speak about this - this is what I have in my notes from the video)

We were going to on Friday
We were going to actually go early
the night before
you know Bob was unemployed at that time and so you know
I really should use that time to find a job and
so we talked to her and we said you know well you know we're not going to you know come that early
you know I'll come over and if he can't or whatever you know I'll come a little bit later on
and um you know she was okay with that....she had Sergio to help her set up

garage sale talk:
being armed:

I'm sure it's been said before at some point, but where she was shot can give us possible clues as to the motive.

Shooting someone in the face/mouth suggests to me that the shooter either wanted to ruin the victims face or, if in the mouth, to signify silencing them.

I definitely feel as though the case will be solved one day, hopefully soon. In my opinion only, the murderer it is a woman scorned.

I believe head was most of them but the last shot was to the mouth.
BBM.
Wow. Seems like something that would be done to a "snitch" as a powerful message? Shivers...
And if accurate, it explains why no one has been speaking up with any good leads?

Amateur opinion and speculation

I'm sure it's been said before at some point, but where she was shot can give us possible clues as to the motive.

Shooting someone in the face/mouth suggests to me that the shooter either wanted to ruin the victims face or, if in the mouth, to signify silencing them.

I definitely feel as though the case will be solved one day, hopefully soon. In my opinion only, the murderer it is a woman scorned.

It indicates professional work to me. (Once I read the book about Rasputin’s assassination. And everything was disorganized, except for one thing, the last shot in the head was called “the control one”.) Maybe the small time intervals between the events, departure of SB and arrival of the car, means the same: disciplined, organized, professional.

About the gang unit

I wonder if the shooter quickly sold the gun for cheap to get rid of it.

A gang member (if they told the shooter that or not) sounds like an ideal person looking for a cheap gun that can’t legally be traced to them.

Or, what do we know about the relatives/boyfriends/girlfriends of the killer? Maybe someone was from a gang. A totally different situation, a murder of an Indian (Sikh) family in California by a disgruntled former employee, comes to mind. His brother participated...and they killed a baby girl, too. For some people, human life means nothing. If we ask ourselves, how a man can live after he helped his crazy brother, for some personal grudge, kill a baby...yet it happens. Why can not a gang-affiliated man help in killing an adult woman, just because someone wants it?

Last edited:
Or, what do we know about the relatives/boyfriends/girlfriends of the killer? Maybe some from a gang. A totally different situation, a murder of an Indian (Sikh) family in California by a disgruntled former employee. His brother participated...and they killed a baby girl, too. For some people, human life means nothing. If we ask ourselves, how a man can live after he helped his crazy brother, for some personal whim, kill a baby...yet it happens. Why not a gang-affiliated man can help killing an adult woman, just because someone wants it?

Certainly not impossible, and there have been several cases of contract killings or fringe benefits killings.

I remember one woman got her boyfriend to hire a guy to carry out a murder. In return, the guy who carried out the murder did not have to pay his rent anymore. The boyfriend was of course, the landlord. One sneaky way to pay someone, but not pay them.

As far as the gang connection, it makes me think it could have just been a marriage of convenience type thing. In many cases, once the gun is used, its sold super quickly and cheaply (sometimes gang members, sometimes a relative, sometimes someone just looking for a cheap gun without it being traced to them), is thrown in a river, or is reported stolen right before or right after it has been used to kill someone (there is a lot of reasons for that but I will stick to the basics).

I may be completely wrong, but I am zoned in on a very particular person at the moment, and I rarely do that.

Interesting that there will be two interviews at the same time.

ETA: I think it's a good sign SB is continuing to interview. I find it disheartening in the Missy Bevers case that her husband wants to hang up the towel thought I can imagine it takes a toll.
Wasn’t there infidelity in that case? (Apologies if I'm misremembering.) There seems to be some expectation that husbands are supposed to act like a worried, grieving spouse even after they learn of infidelity. Many at that point never want to see them again. Doesn’t mean they want them dead, but it doesn’t make sense for them to continue to be the face of the story.

(Of course, in most cases the husband usually did want them dead and succeeded, so this is a very theoretical point for the unlucky few.)

Here, SB has the factor that he's currently married to someone else. It makes it challenging to play the role of loving spouse. Not to mention that given the undisputed suspicion of him, he's stupid to give interviews. Best to leave it to the parents I think.

Last edited:
BBM.
Wow. Seems like something that would be done to a "snitch" as a powerful message? Shivers...
And if accurate, it explains why no one has been speaking up with any good leads?

IF "snitching" was THE reason for LB's death/murder, I have someone in mind, who could have organized it. We heard, that Liz cared for their household budget and didn't shy away from speaking out her anger, when SB's checks bounced. Maybe, she knew about some crooked things in this part of the building industry and threatened to use her knowledge in the future. In addition, she knew about certain private things, which may have played an important role re. "money" and maybe, Liz threw everything into one pot (for me very understandable!), when desperate about their (LB's and SB's) unregulated income.
Perhaps "snitching" wasn't done already, but someone (a Macho anyway) had fear, it would happen in the near future. When the killer didn't look like someone of a certain race, it may have been a special clever move, well thought out. Wearing a flowing angel's robe and very blonde curls would have made a nice disguise. - All moo.

I believe head was most of them but the last shot was to the mouth.
"Miss Barraza had three gunshot wounds, including one to the face, one to the side of the head, and one in the chest area."
Source, but this is actually directly from the police initial report. Now, there are claims that the initial report is not listing a fourth shot that actually did hit her (but no mention as to where). So that there were actually still four shots as it was reported before the initial reports were made public. However, I could not find any police source for that, so as of now, it is just "allegedly, by oral statements by her parents" without any location mentioned.
Wasn’t there infidelity in that case? (Apologies if I'm misremembering.)
No. AFAIK, it has been consistently reported that S & Liz were not having any marital trouble as they were approaching their 5th anniversary.

The person resembles a woman and we all suspect it was a woman. But what if it is a lithe man who impersonates women well? Then go-go boots would be such a plus! And also they add height, don't they?
I disagree, I don't think everyone suspects it was a woman.

Aarin Stoner's video has been posted here before. I agree with his interpretation/assessment of the voice and what the suspect was wearing. I don't recall a discussion of what Stoner thinks the suspect said to the victim, but it does seem to me that the suspect wanted to get as close to possible to EB, perhaps to verify he had found the person he was looking for and couldn't be sure of shooting with accuracy from any distance. As he closes in, he engages her in conversation so as not to alarm her, and then can also make sure no one else is out there with her. Then he says something to her, which if Stoner is correct, makes it seem that the suspect was intentionally killing her specifically, for his reasons alone. It may have nothing to do with the garage sale at all, the killer may have been hoping to get her in the driveway walking out to her car. In that case, he would have left the mask on the whole time, instead of taking it off when he got out of the truck.
MOO

Spouse's are always under scrutiny in murder cases, especially when they marry so quickly afterwards. However, it is my understanding that the surviving spouse in this case was cleared and not considered a POI? Do I have that wrong?

Today I am thinking there is no disguise.
They wanted Liz to see them and did not care whether there were cameras or not.
Perhaps they did borrow the truck, but I believe that is the extent of an undercover murder.
Their rage is so intense it almost defies them overthinking how to carry it out stealthily.
One goal.

Spouse's are always under scrutiny in murder cases, especially when they marry so quickly afterwards. However, it is my understanding that the surviving spouse in this case was cleared and not considered a POI?
AFAIK, S has never been called a POI. I don't think anyone at all has been "cleared" per say, but this is not unusual.

As for a re-marriage, it has actually been reported that men who were happy in their marriage are the ones who re-marry quickly (as they have the positive experience).
Source:
There is nothing disloyal in this: psychologists have found that the happier the marriage was, the quicker the surviving spouse (especially a widower) will get remarried. Why? He enjoyed being married, so he believes in marriage.

It's a common phenomenon that men are way more likely to remarry than women, there are many different articles about it.
Old (1996) paper:
By 25 months after the spouse's death 61% of men and 19% of women were either remarried or involved in a new romance. Women expressed more negative feelings about forming new romantic relationships.

Spouse's are always under scrutiny in murder cases, especially when they marry so quickly afterwards. However, it is my understanding that the surviving spouse in this case was cleared and not considered a POI? Do I have that wrong?
Getting married again so quickly could signal that he actually really enjoyed being married to Liz, and was ready to jump right into another marriage.
What is "married again so quickly"? I'm not finding the remarriage date on an acceptable MSM news feed. The only date I see is several years later, and SB said he met his future wife a year and a half, after the murder.

About the gang unit

I wonder if the shooter quickly sold the gun for cheap to get rid of it.

A gang member (if they told the shooter that or not) sounds like an ideal person looking for a cheap gun that can’t legally be traced to them.
Is it possible the gang unit is involved because that department is familiar with wiretapping?

Many domestic abusers/misogynists shoot women in the mouth. It's where the "noise" comes from. Although I would picture that as being the first shot for an abuser (not the last).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blueeyes1981