TX TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris Co, Jan 2019 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My cousin lives there and is barely scraping by. (And no she doesn’t follow the case much.) It’s probably the nicest place she’s lived and she pulled it off to have her daughter in their school district. But definitely not all HOA. That said, I think it’s economically mixed with apartment buildings — and don’t those usually have a camera even if they aren’t luxe at all?
I agree — can’t discount possibilities of nearby garage to escape to. Could even be a business’s garage — and if it’s their own business they control the camera.

ETA average income of $97,000 in a gas&oil economy — very wealthy mixed with lots of much lower paid support staff just averaging out on the high end.
I actually just noticed on the website her parents made, that the timeline mentions the truck being picked up by several local cameras/business cameras, before going into an area without cameras. That’s exciting to read actually, since I ~hope~ it means they have more footage of the truck.

And that makes sense, here in Ohio it’s similar with wealthier areas (apartments, some newer some not, not HOA everywhere, etc). And that’s good your cousin got a good school district for her daughter! My parents did something similar and we were scraping by but it was worth it! Sometimes though the rich kids were not friendly to me since I came from a poor family lol, but whatever, the teachers were cool.

Anyway, with what has been updated on the timeline I really wonder if they’re closing in on an arrest. Someone on Reddit mentioned the dash cam footage being released by Sergio’s legal team to get ahead of anything, but idk how plausible that is (certainly interesting). I’m hoping it’s not him because that would be terrible, but then again I wouldn’t be surprised.

I have a question for those who are more familiar with guns and related equipment than I am.

Given all the other things this killer did to avoid detection (avoiding Nest cam, parking some distance away) or to mislead (potential disguise), WHY not use some kind of noise suppressor which might have increased the likelihood neighbors would not recognize the shootings as gun shots? Are those not possible with a revolver?

IIRC, at least 3 neighbors heard the gun shots and immediately called authorities (at least 2 of them after looking outside and seeing someone down on the ground in the Barraza's driveway).

That quick response increased the likelihood the shooter might be seen leaving the area as neighbors were able to give a description of the vehicle. The quick response also meant authorities closed off the scene early, so that evidence that might have been left by the killer was not contaminated or degraded.

One possible motivation that occurs to me is that noisy shots meant a more accurate timeline as to precisely when the shots were fired, which would be important to the determination that SB had already left the home before the shootings occurred.

Different situations.
1) situation nr 1. - I don't assume that everyone necessarily has a gun in TX. Supposedly the murderer knows how to use a gun but doesn't have one, for whatever reason (age, difficulty keeping in the house, young kids in the family, suicidal person in the family, or "just because"). Now, suddenly, the person needs a gun. One may "borrow" a revolver from a grandpa's collection, or buy one from a gun dealer's personal collection (precisely the situation that once happened in my state - depending on who you ask, the person either had no money for a better gun, or was just discharged from a mental facility, one of these cases, anyhow $50 was enough for a murder/suicide). One may simply steal a revolver, too. Even better for the purpose.
2) your idea that he wanted to provide a time frame for SB is an interesting one. Only I don't think it was that important as Sergio clocked in at work or whatever warehouse he was in. Imagine no neighbor hearing the shots. What then? Probably, Liz's body is seen an hour later when it's daytime. Sergio gets alerted later. There is still enough information on the cameras (S. leaving, cars, shots). Sergio's alibi is not the shot. Sergio's alibi is the time when he leaves the house (registered on camera, car GPS tracking, his phone GPS, his arrival at work). Personally, i think the murderers had a very limited amount of time and needed to get out as soon as possible, so alerting neighbors was not part of their plan. They might have disregarded the neighbors factor as they counted on own perfect timing (and indeed it was perfect! Really, I hope that when murderer is found - that among their personal traits, friends would mention promptness, organization, being known for responsibility, good executive functioning, picking up litter after themselves, etc, etc).

What was very important: darkness. It immensely helped them, maybe even relaxed them. If there were mistakes made, they were made at daylight. So question is, what prompted Liz to start the yard sale so early? When it is so dark around? Alone? I think the answer to this question, if known, is half the case.

Let us think of who orients well in the dark. Young people. Good nutrition (vitamin A). - Either that or being treated for acne with isotretinoin. Maybe someone who often drives at night for work, too? Deliverers, movers, truck drivers, people delivering to construction? (And why am I thinking, alpinists? Time, athleticism, runs fast, doesn't fall, nighttime is ok).

Or - drivers of schoolbuses? Could there be a different connection to the daycare center? Are some kids bused there, or is there an elementary school nearby?

Maybe they are from cosplay, of course, but I am not so sure...

Last edited:
Given all the other things this killer did to avoid detection (avoiding Nest cam, parking some distance away) or to mislead (potential disguise), WHY not use some kind of noise suppressor which might have increased the likelihood neighbors would not recognize the shootings as gun shots? Are those not possible with a revolver?
Just pointing out, that we can not be sure if the killer did anything very special to avoid detection: they may have avoided the Barraza nest cam on pure luck (it depended a lot on where Liz was standing and where other cars were parked) and we are not sure about there being a disguise, either (though as a female, wearing a wig to have a different hair length and colour seems like a good idea, as a male playing a female, a wig is also pretty much your first thought - it is also quickly removed once you get out of the area).

But I am just having a hard time seeing some super careful planning with cameras and all - but choosing to turn into a school parking lot. Unless they had intimate knowledge of the cameras not working. I mean if any school employees had a connection to her, this could be interesting.

As for the silencers, I am going to believe the more gun-aware folk that it might be complicated to get one, especially for a gun that the killer "borrowed".

But I am just having a hard time seeing some super careful planning with cameras and all - but choosing to turn into a school parking lot. Unless they had intimate knowledge of the cameras not working. I mean if any school employees had a connection to her, this could be interesting.
bbm

^^ This!!

I agree with Sjoberg that I don't think the killer did anything unusually special to avoid detection. Nothing here shows that this person used special skills. In particular, the second pass with the truck seems really inept. I think they were very, very lucky.

For me, it comes down to the question: how does an ordinary person without special skills (ninja, sniper, special forces, etc.) and without accomplices commit the premeditated murder of someone who doesn't live in their household?

You can't rely on overpowering the person (knife, strangulation, bludgeoning) because that requires access, strength, and prolonged contact. Yes, I know that that many killers do in fact use these methods, but my premise here is an "ordinary" person who isn't a serial killer or a sexually motivated killer, just a regular person who has a grudge that has made them homicidal or who is acting on behalf of a third party.

You can't rely on kidnapping the victim and taking them to a second location because even with a gun you may have trouble controlling them. You might not even own a gun yourself or want to do the paperwork to acquire one, so you take grandpa's old revolver out of the box on the top shelf of the closet. Maybe you practice a little at a range or out in the woods, but you are not a marksman so you are going to have to shoot them at point-blank range. You are going to have to break into their home, find them in a public or semi-public place (MIssy Bevers), or ambush them in their driveway or at their doorstep (Sheila Keen-Warren). And you do some reconnaissance first (2 a.m. pass).

I can't decide whether Liz being outside for the garage sale was part of the plan or simply luck on the perpetrator's part. If she hadn't been outside, would the murderer simply have rung the doorbell and said "delivery for you"? Were they confident enough in their disguise that they could disregard the possibility of a doorbell cam and suspicion of a visitor/delivery so early in the morning?

This is why I think that Liz was targeted by an "ordinary" person.

The one thing that gives me pause on that theory is the new involvement of the gang unit. I know we hear a lot of urban legends about gang initiation shootings of random people, but to me this seems like an odd fit. In my locale we see drive-by shootings associated with gang territoriality or retaliation, but those are typically in areas of gang activity even if they actual victims themselves are not involved in gangs.

I agree with Sjoberg that I don't think the killer did anything unusually special to avoid detection. Nothing here shows that this person used special skills. In particular, the second pass with the truck seems really inept. I think they were very, very lucky.

For me, it comes down to the question: how does an ordinary person without special skills (ninja, sniper, special forces, etc.) and without accomplices commit the premeditated murder of someone who doesn't live in their household?

You can't rely on overpowering the person (knife, strangulation, bludgeoning) because that requires access, strength, and prolonged contact. Yes, I know that that many killers do in fact use these methods, but my premise here is an "ordinary" person who isn't a serial killer or a sexually motivated killer, just a regular person who has a grudge that has made them homicidal or who is acting on behalf of a third party.

You can't rely on kidnapping the victim and taking them to a second location because even with a gun you may have trouble controlling them. You might not even own a gun yourself or want to do the paperwork to acquire one, so you take grandpa's old revolver out of the box on the top shelf of the closet. Maybe you practice a little at a range or out in the woods, but you are not a marksman so you are going to have to shoot them at point-blank range. You are going to have to break into their home, find them in a public or semi-public place (MIssy Bevers), or ambush them in their driveway or at their doorstep (Sheila Keen-Warren). And you do some reconnaissance first (2 a.m. pass).

I can't decide whether Liz being outside for the garage sale was part of the plan or simply luck on the perpetrator's part. If she hadn't been outside, would the murderer simply have rung the doorbell and said "delivery for you"? Were they confident enough in their disguise that they could disregard the possibility of a doorbell cam and suspicion of a visitor/delivery so early in the morning?

The one thing that gives me pause on that theory is the new involvement of the gang unit. I know we hear a lot of urban legends about gang initiation shootings of random people, but to me this seems like an odd fit. In my locale we see drive-by shootings associated with gang territoriality or retaliation, but those are typically in areas of gang activity even if they actual victims themselves are not involved in gangs.
I agree. I don’t think the killer tried to avoid cameras. I believe that was mostly luck (Goddard School - they pulled in and out rather quickly, Ring camera - they approached where Liz was standing on the driveway, which happened to be out of view).

I do not think this was a gang initiation shooting. My speculation only is that someone close to Liz hired someone to be the killer and perhaps there is a gang connection to that hiring. And the only reason I suspect that is because of that gang unit being listed by LE.

Jan. 25, 2022

• Crime Stoppers of Houston and the Harris County Sheriff’s Office offer a $50,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of the suspect in Barraza’s shooting.
  • Harris County Detective Wyatt said Barraza’s case is not a cold case and it’s still active. He confirmed he was in Miami, Florida interviewing a person of interest.

Dec. 2023

• Texas Rangers, the FBI and the Texas Anti-Gang Unit join Barraza’s case.
  • Detectives confirmed they had gathered new leads but did not go into detail.

Full timeline at link...

Updated: December 12, 2023 at 7:28 AM

1702399324218.png
A 29-year-old woman was shot to death in 2019 while setting up for a garage sale outside her home in Tomball (KPRC 2)

The TIMELINE has been updated on the whokilledlizbarraza site. Linked below. Noted by Robert Nuelle, Jr due to recently released dashcam footage.

Timeline

View attachment 467423
View attachment 467424
Yes, Liz’s family's website acknowledged the newly released dash cam footage. Interesting about the footage coming out prior to LE recent news of new leads?

Curious if a gang member spilled the beans, due to non-payment? However, no arrests yet because LE still needs tips though I am sure an arrest(s) is on the horizon. Cowards' freedom is so over!

Previous talk about the FL person of interest gave me hope, and then no arrest - a let down; however, I am going to remain positive that this is a solvable case, and again arrest(s) will come in due time! As stated previously, grateful (moo) that LE have been building a solid case to present in a court of law. Sgt. M. Ritchie and Sgt. J. Thomas are both familiar with the case, and, with the FBI and their sophisticated technology, etc., no doubt this will be solved and justice will prevail.

The timing of the crime is impeccable, and speaks volumes, and with the release of the footage it validates everything for me in my honest opinion.

New video shows raw moments shortly after Tomball woman killed in her driveway nearly 5 years ago

Friday, December 8, 2023 11:27AM

Just some observations from me:

There is no obvious motive except life insurance payout, regardless of whether it is actually paid out or not, it can be viewed as possible motive.

There are many coincidences that provided the killer/killers with the ideal opportunity to commit this awful crime and avoid detection, so far. I don't believe in coincidence.

Only 5yrs have passed since this murder and already SB has remarried, to my mind, he has got over this pretty quickly.

Just some observations from me:

There is no obvious motive except life insurance payout, regardless of whether it is actually paid out or not, it can be viewed as possible motive.

There are many coincidences that provided the killer/killers with the ideal opportunity to commit this awful crime and avoid detection, so far. I don't believe in coincidence.

Only 5yrs have passed since this murder and already SB has remarried, to my mind, he has got over this pretty quickly.
Not long to wait, and he has his 5th anniversary with his second wife already, afaik. I would be interested to know, if his father is satisfied with his new d-i-l and has no longer to fear, she would open her mouth about financial things and mistresses (when a check bounces or similar). Or is the next drama already brewing? One doesn't know - a pity.

Jan. 25, 2022

• Crime Stoppers of Houston and the Harris County Sheriff’s Office offer a $50,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of the suspect in Barraza’s shooting.
  • Harris County Detective Wyatt said Barraza’s case is not a cold case and it’s still active. He confirmed he was in Miami, Florida interviewing a person of interest.

Dec. 2023

• Texas Rangers, the FBI and the Texas Anti-Gang Unit join Barraza’s case.
  • Detectives confirmed they had gathered new leads but did not go into detail.

Full timeline at link...

Updated: December 12, 2023 at 7:28 AM

View attachment 467571
A 29-year-old woman was shot to death in 2019 while setting up for a garage sale outside her home in Tomball (KPRC 2)
Does a mistress of SB's father - whoever she may be - have gang relations perhaps? (FL rings a bell to me.) Some brothers or cousins or nephews or sons or uncles? Or in the same degree of relationship, but female?

bbm

^^ This!!
Just pointing out, that we can not be sure if the killer did anything very special to avoid detection: they may have avoided the Barraza nest cam on pure luck (it depended a lot on where Liz was standing and where other cars were parked) and we are not sure about there being a disguise, either (though as a female, wearing a wig to have a different hair length and colour seems like a good idea, as a male playing a female, a wig is also pretty much your first thought - it is also quickly removed once you get out of the area).

As for the silencers, I am going to believe the more gun-aware folk that it might be complicated to get one, especially for a gun that the killer "borrowed".

How would a random person know the cameras didn't work at the school? They took a HUGE risk pulling in and parking there IMHO!

How would a random person know the cameras didn't work at the school? They took a HUGE risk pulling in and parking there IMHO!
I dont think they parked there. They just pulled in to turn around, IMO. From the timeline:
  • Early Morning [06:47:50 AM] The Nissan Frontier arrives and pulls into the neighborhood Princeton Place Drive from Kuykendahl Road and then drives into the Goddard School parking lot.
  • Early Morning [06:48:00 AM] The Nissan Frontier leaves the Goddard School parking lot to conceal on a different street.

Last edited:
This together with the 3-point-turn later... Is this a common behaviour?
Or does it stem from being not-so fluent in driving? Or maybe in driving this particular rather large truck?
Good questions - a 3 point turn to me indicates a fluent driver overall, but maybe someone not used to driving a large vehicle.
Or the school turn around and the 3 point turn might just be someone who is not calm but nervous.

The school turn may have happened because the killer found out SB had not left the home yet. 3 point could have been to avoid pulling into someone’s driveway (headlights, cameras).

This together with the 3-point-turn later... Is this a common behaviour?
Or does it stem from being not-so fluent in driving? Or maybe in driving this particular rather large truck?
Nissan frontiers are actually not that big of a truck. Yes it’s larger than a sedan but it’s not like a king cab like a Nissan Titan. Or even an f150

Latest leakage of an LE dash cam video made me think that there is an insider information to Liz’s murder from within LE. Someone from LE could know the Goddard School cameras not working, plus could
inform the murderer with a burner phone to make a u turn after the crime for a safer escape avoiding Le on the way . Add that the suspicions about the police stop of a similar truck and letting it go for having a good reason to be there. Latest FBI involvement could be related to that kind of a corruption .

Det. Ritchie had said S had no unusual phone calls that morning which made me think Le believes the murderer got some calls from someone and moved accordingly

I also believe like posters mentioned above the Anti gang unit might be related to a hired killer .
I am hopeful that justice for Liz is very
close .
Jmo.

Different situations.
1) situation nr 1. - I don't assume that everyone necessarily has a gun in TX. Supposedly the murderer knows how to use a gun but doesn't have one, for whatever reason (age, difficulty keeping in the house, young kids in the family, suicidal person in the family, or "just because"). Now, suddenly, the person needs a gun. One may "borrow" a revolver from a grandpa's collection, or buy one from a gun dealer's personal collection (precisely the situation that once happened in my state - depending on who you ask, the person either had no money for a better gun, or was just discharged from a mental facility, one of these cases, anyhow $50 was enough for a murder/suicide). One may simply steal a revolver, too. Even better for the purpose.
2) your idea that he wanted to provide a time frame for SB is an interesting one. Only I don't think it was that important as Sergio clocked in at work or whatever warehouse he was in. Imagine no neighbor hearing the shots. What then? Probably, Liz's body is seen an hour later when it's daytime. Sergio gets alerted later. There is still enough information on the cameras (S. leaving, cars, shots). Sergio's alibi is not the shot. Sergio's alibi is the time when he leaves the house (registered on camera, car GPS tracking, his phone GPS, his arrival at work). Personally, i think the murderers had a very limited amount of time and needed to get out as soon as possible, so alerting neighbors was not part of their plan. They might have disregarded the neighbors factor as they counted on own perfect timing (and indeed it was perfect! Really, I hope that when murderer is found - that among their personal traits, friends would mention promptness, organization, being known for responsibility, good executive functioning, picking up litter after themselves, etc, etc).

What was very important: darkness. It immensely helped them, maybe even relaxed them. If there were mistakes made, they were made at daylight. So question is, what prompted Liz to start the yard sale so early? When it is so dark around? Alone? I think the answer to this question, if known, is half the case.

Let us think of who orients well in the dark. Young people. Good nutrition (vitamin A). - Either that or being treated for acne with isotretinoin. Maybe someone who often drives at night for work, too? Deliverers, movers, truck drivers, people delivering to construction? (And why am I thinking, alpinists? Time, athleticism, runs fast, doesn't fall, nighttime is ok).

Or - drivers of schoolbuses? Could there be a different connection to the daycare center? Are some kids bused there, or is there an elementary school nearby?

Maybe they are from cosplay, of course, but I am not so sure...
So much interesting insight in this post! Worth a couple of read-throughs at least. The thoughts on who is so accustomed to driving at night, possible connection to the school — and good guesses at what’s a friend might say about them — appreciate the fresh thinking.

MOO - it may be not that difficult to kill a person if you are an immature teenager and the pay is good; or, if you were at war. You might be desensitized by hunting from the age of twelve.(Not everyone , but the brain finishes developing later, so, possible).

One can practice shooting at a rifle range, or hunt. Those slightly far-sighted usually make the best shooters; with age, vision declines, but in youth, they can read road signs from afar.

MOO - the perps counted on LB being outside, but what if she wasn’t? Ringing a doorbell during a yard sale is enough. The murderer needs some disguise. Liz is holding a sale, and if an “early bird” emerges on her doorstep holding a bunch of dollars, Liz probably would come out. All they need is to look like customers. (Liz probably didn’t want to leave her table unattended, and a yard sale guaranteed her being out.)

My question, why start so early. It would be important to see whether in the past, Sergio helped her, and if this sale was in any way different? Change of patterns?

I am not convinced in the need to provide alibi for SB. JMO - they wanted as few people at home as possible; either Liz alone was a target, or simply, two first-degree murders are a higher risk. But, the person did get some insider’s information, only we don’t know if it was from S, Liz, or maybe, unbeknownst, from the relatives. People talk, all the time, and with a degree of separation the police may not even factor someone in.

(does anyone remember the case of a Canadian girl killed at home? The perpetrator heard from his then-wife (a friend with the child’s mom) that they were asking her to babysit. Case solved much later when the perpetrator already was divorced and committed suicide. He was never known to the family of the child and off everyone’s radar.)

JMO - LB’s murderer has similar degree of separation, too. Close enough to hear the news but not too close to be in someone's view field. I am seriously wondering if a teenager or a very young adult is involved, and not necessarily a male. Kids are malleable, plus, less criminal responsibility, also, a teenage girl generates some trust. So it may be a case of two women, one driving, and her kid, shooting.

Now, that school. Did someone work there, or drive a younger sibling there, or was it a bus driver, or married to a schoolworker? Technically, they were not risking much by that stop. Imagine they drive in and see a working camera. Well, they haven't killed anyone yet, they can drive back home till better time. In general, it was pretty dark, and what people are doing in the darkness, in a dark car, is hard to see on the camera. And I am almost sure that the plates were stolen.

However, what is interesting is the internet in the school. I am thinking that switched on phones could have left a "trace". Options are:

- the phones were switched off
- the router in the school was switched off (for the night, or just in AM)
- maybe the camera was simply switched off, especially easy if connected to wifi
- the phones that are registered in the school vicinity that day belong to one of the school workers and don't look suspicious

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sumzoe24