TX TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris Co, Jan 2019 #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Here it mentions Liz being part of Make-a-Wish foundation and performing in hospitals for sick kids. Elizabeth Barraza — Unresolved
Her parents’ site mentions Liz Barraza’s Harry Potter Library in children oncology ward. Ms. Martinez was a volunteer teacher in an elementary school. Honestly, this is the first thing that comes to mind.

I paid attention that Mr. Martinez took his life less than a month after Ms. Martinez got shot, poor man. Probably, his heart was broken, but a totally different question regarding Barraza/Martinez connection formed in my head, i.e., could the cases be linked via a third person. It is probably my overactive phantasy.
I don't think its too farfetched to think an unhinged parent could connect the two.

There is not a lot about Ms. Martinez's murder available, but cross-referencing children Liz visited and children at Ms. Martinez's school wouldn't hurt.

I believe it’s most likely that the Barraza house was being monitored through the Ring or other connectivity app.

To know the information for that, they would have to know SB and Liz mighty, mighty well.

I think the shooter knew them well, and I think they extended their left hand to show Liz something before shooting her.

Liz takes a HUGE step back (I think she saw the gun) but leans in to get a better look and is shot right as she is leaning in.

To me, this suggests that whatever the shooter was showing Liz was familiar to Liz and/or extremely interesting to her (Liz).

I really wish we had got to see Lizs reaction first. Like throwing up her hands “Whoah! That’s not me!” Or rolling her eyes “this crap again? Really?” Or making a face like “ok, wait. I can explain. It was just a one time thing…”

The body language may have told us more, or may have just confused us more.
I agree. I think it was probably a picture that was shown to Liz.

Elizabeth had a decent life insurance policy (confirmed). Sergio remarried shortly after (confirmed). He also has a new house (confirmed).

I agree, I think it can’t be denied that if her husband no longer wanted to be her husband, from a financial standpoint, he would be far better off with her murdered. There is really no question there — rather than losing half his marital assets and his household’s primary income earner, he would instead be left with:
1) The proceeds of a $500k life insurance policy; and
2) All of their marital assets.

That’s of course not evidence in and of itself that he had anything to do with it, but you can’t say that no one stood to benefit from her murder, because that’s simply not true. The only other piece relevant to determining whether he had motive would be whether he was still planning on spending his life with her. And really, only he knows that. When my long term relationship ended, no one saw it coming. People who spent time with us together a couple weeks before the breakup still saw him as loving and devoted to me. I thought he loved and was devoted to me. Heck, even a couple weeks before the breakup, I don’t think he even saw it coming. Yes, there was someone else.

I’ll note that people make a big deal about whether her husband has received her life insurance, but that’s irrelevant. All that’s relevant is if he knew about it, which he did. He wouldn’t know that the company would delay paying if he was under suspicion. And an innocent husband should be able to collect on a life insurance policy without guilt. He shouldn’t have to put it towards a reward as some suggest, that’s not what life insurance is for. It’s to allow him to pick up the pieces of his life, maintain his standard of living after the death of his higher-earning spouse, and give him money to live on while dealing with grief. But if he knew about it beforehand, then yes, that’s relevant to motive.

Of course, it goes without saying that having a motive means nothing if the person with the motive is moral/ethical/a law-abider/empathic/etc.

MOO

Arrin Stoner had another video of the truck fleeing the crime scene. @10:27 In the back of the truck there appears to be long white tubes being hauled in the bed. One thing I thought about is that it looked like it could be trim or trim edges used in flooring. JMO

I wonder too if LE looked at employees or those contracted with SB’s father’s business to double check everyone’s alibis or whereabouts if noticed the tubes in the back of the truck too? Or if asked any of the nearby home renovation businesses in that area, like Loews or Home Depot, about recent sales or video related to any kind of material they sell and video cameras from the parking lots? SB mentioned that they had flooring project to do that same horrible morning Liz was shot. Who was supposed to bring what to the job that morning?

Or in the very high likelihood I am wrong about the material looking like trim what do LE suspect the material is in the back of the cab and are there ways that it can be traced or help narrow down their search for the perp/s responsible for Liz’s murder?

1725068662239.jpeg

1725068721737.jpeg

Examples of flooring trims

1725068968067.png

1725069128403.png

Last edited:
Sergio claims that he did not meet his new wife until 2020. Because I did not have access to his social media, I do not know if this has been verified or not. But let’s say that it is verified. At this point, life insurance proceeds should be paid out. It does annoy me that the insurance company gets to hold onto these funds indefinitely. I realize that there is no statute of limitations on murder; however, I don’t think it is right to withhold payout of life insurance for years and years and years.

And I know this post makes it sound like I do not consider this husband a suspect but I actually do!

I wasn’t sure if Nuelle was a Hispanic last name

Liz had dark features and made me wonder if she came from a Hispanic family.
Looks are super relative. All of us who have been into genetic genealogy realized it a long time ago. I thought Nuelle was French, but no, Germanic.

Arrin Stoner had another video of the truck fleeing the crime scene. @10:27 In the back of the truck there appears to be long white tubes being hauled in the bed. One thing I thought about is that it looked like it could be trim or trim edges used in flooring. JMO

I wonder too if LE looked at employees or those contracted with SB’s father’s business to double check everyone’s alibis or whereabouts if noticed the tubes in the back of the truck too? Or if asked any of the nearby home renovation businesses in that area, like Loews or Home Depot, about recent sales or video related to any kind of material they sell and video cameras from the parking lots? SB mentioned that they had flooring project to do that same horrible morning Liz was shot. Who was supposed to bring what to the job that morning?

Or in the very high likelihood I am wrong about the material looking like trim what do LE suspect the material is in the back of the cab and are there ways that it can be traced or help narrow down their search for the perp/s responsible for Liz’s murder?

View attachment 528096

View attachment 528097

View attachment 528098

View attachment 528099

I wonder what, if anything, was in the back of the truck that LE stopped immediately after the murder in the same narrow vicinity as the murder that was reported to be the same or similar model and color of the truck used in the murder. (!)

I guess we wouldn't be lucky enough to have that traffic stop on camera anywhere, and I assume truck bed contents aren't typically recorded in the officer's report of the stop, but who knows, maybe that officer, if asked today, might remember if he saw anything in the back of that truck that he stopped immediately after the murder in the same narrow vicinity as the murder that was reported to be the same or similar model and color of the truck used in the murder. (!)

Sergio claims that he did not meet his new wife until 2020. Because I did not have access to his social media, I do not know if this has been verified or not. But let’s say that it is verified. At this point, life insurance proceeds should be paid out. It does annoy me that the insurance company gets to hold onto these funds indefinitely. I realize that there is no statute of limitations on murder; however, I don’t think it is right to withhold payout of life insurance for years and years and years.

And I know this post makes it sound like I do not consider this husband a suspect but I actually do!

Look at it from the standpoint of life insurance companies.

Unless Sergio has been cleared, they will probably not pay it off. I see their logic. What if they pay off and ten years from now, his involvement in the murder is proven? By that time, the money would be spent and the company would never get it back.

The insurance would probably pay it, eventually, either to Sergio or to Liz's immediate relatives, depending on the outcome.

The outcome of the investigation depends on TX police, and one probably direct the questions as to why the case has stalled to them.

Looks are super relative. All of us who have been into genetic genealogy realized it a long time ago. I thought Nuelle was French, but no, Germanic.
Agreed, especially with American melting pots.

I know some Hispanics with blonde hair and/or blue eyes and Caucasians with brown hair, brown eyes, and olive skin.

Its why I asked about Liz's ethnicity.

View attachment 528096

View attachment 528097

View attachment 528098

View attachment 528099

Good sleuthing there @AppleTreeGreen! I don’t recall seeing those images before. Wish we had a better and less grainy image. It IMO almost appears to be PVC plumbing pipe? And a larger diameter such as 4”? If so, often used in plumbing work. It might also be thinner wall similar diameter PVC which some use for external guttering and landscaping or drainage.

Also wish we knew the length of that truck bed. Might help with sizing it better. I also notice it seems that vehicle was missing its rear tailgate? Unless it might be one of those models where I think a smaller segment might open for pass through? But the latter are somewhat rare I think? And it doesn’t seem the driver of this vehicle was worried about it falling out; maybe well secured? And there also appear to be shorter pieces above on the bed? Unless it is simply a light colored box, or as you suggest moulding?

And any vehicle likely used in this crime, hard to imagine its condition now or where it might be? Maybe a good comparison can be made with that vehicle that was supposedly stopped near the crime scene? Did police have good in car video of that vehicle when it was stopped? That missing rear tailgate was a distinguishing feature at that time, if the case? MOO

Good sleuthing there @AppleTreeGreen! I don’t recall seeing those images before. Wish we had a better and less grainy image. It IMO almost appears to be PVC plumbing pipe? And a larger diameter such as 4”? If so, often used in plumbing work. It might also be thinner wall similar diameter PVC which some use for external guttering and landscaping or drainage.

Also wish we knew the length of that truck bed. Might help with sizing it better. I also notice it seems that vehicle was missing its rear tailgate? Unless it might be one of those models where I think a smaller segment might open for pass through? But the latter are somewhat rare I think? And it doesn’t seem the driver of this vehicle was worried about it falling out; maybe well secured? And there also appear to be shorter pieces above on the bed? Unless it is simply a light colored box, or as you suggest moulding?

And any vehicle likely used in this crime, hard to imagine its condition now or where it might be? Maybe a good comparison can be made with that vehicle that was supposedly stopped near the crime scene? Did police have good in car video of that vehicle when it was stopped? That missing rear tailgate was a distinguishing feature at that time, if the case? MOO
Some have speculated the tailgate wasn’t missing, just in the down position, and why the license plate can’t be seen.

As far as the driver not being worried about the security of the items in the bed, I suspect they may not have known or cared, as I believe this truck was extremely likely to have been “borrowed” with or without the owners knowledge or permission.

Some have speculated the tailgate wasn’t missing, just in the down position, and why the license plate can’t be seen.

As far as the driver not being worried about the security of the items in the bed, I suspect they may not have known or cared, as I believe this truck was extremely likely to have been “borrowed” with or without the owners knowledge or permission.
Yes, and I don’t disagree and that is one possibility. But it IMO almost seems the tailgate is missing rather than dropped down? Granted the images are less than ideal to determine. But it appears that the trailer hitch mount is evident in the third or bottom photograph. And that might have been obstructed by a lowered tailgate? And it doesn’t seem to be a dark supporting area below the white (pipes?) that might be a lowered tailgate? It is difficult to determine from the images. Wish there were enhanced or better images. The length of the bed and other measurements might also help to determine this? MOO

Last edited:
it appears that the trailer hitch mount is evident in the third or bottom photograph. And that might have been obstructed by a lowered tailgate? And it doesn’t seem to be a dark supporting area below the white (pipes?) that might be a lowered tailgate? It is difficult to determine from the images. Wish there were enhanced or better images. The length of the bed

Looks like the bed length was pretty consistently 59.5” (~5 feet). Agree that it looks like PVC.

I also noticed this (taken from video @AppleTreeGreen posted around 05.29):

IMG_4169.jpeg

Looks like a tailgate, but due to the ‘stacked’ appearance of the white things overhanging the back end, it could be something like this (tailgate net):

Something I never understood was... Did Sergio use Princeton Pl Dr when he left for work that morning? Did they drive by each other or did the killer wait before he went by to head to the house? And if he didn't take that route did police look into whether that was different than his usual way to work?

Something I never understood was... Did Sergio use Princeton Pl Dr when he left for work that morning? Did they drive by each other or did the killer wait before he went by to head to the house? And if he didn't take that route did police look into whether that was different than his usual way to work?
Iirc, SB at one time believed he may have been behind the dark (supposedly the killer's Nissan Frontier) truck at some point on his way for work as he is leaving his home. I dont recall exactly if SB or Liz's parents who stated this info during an interview. moo

The timing of the garage sale is suspect. I stands out for me. Why have a garage sale just before a planned anniversary trip to Orlando?

I guess for the extra money needed for souvenirs? But, It is really suspect - imo. Especially since the sale wasn't advertised on Facebook, newspaper, or wherever a garage sale is advertised.

Iirc, Liz already had her things packed, and there are last minute things to pack. However, it feels like you already would have a million other things to do than to have a garage sale? Why a garage sale so close to leaving on a trip? I dont get it.

Did the killer and other(s) involved in the murder know about the garage sale and took that opportunity to kill Liz?

All speculative and a matter of opinion.

The thing that strikes me about this crime is that the killer seems to have made no serious effort to conceal themselves. They drove by the prior evening knowing (or should have known) they would be captured on camera, then parked in a school parking lot which also would have cameras as a reasonable expectation. They could have been observed any number of times by those cameras and were, or also by people walking their dog, or riding a bike. They took a huge risk that they could be identified later. While I understand many believe they see a costume in the video, why go to that trouble and then drive by and risk being seen the evening before?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZogNCat
Back