TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris County, Jan 2019 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
More local coverage....it's about time!

Interesting from the People magazine article; a trench coat is mentioned rather than costume or robe.

A small-statured person with long hair or a wig, wearing a long trench-coat and boots, got out of the pick-up truck and approached Barraza in her driveway.

Also, I believe there was an early discussion on the thread of a decal on the truck. It is verified in the article below as being a PRO-4X sticker

The conversation was muffled, but it was recorded on a home surveillance camera for a few seconds before Barraza was shot.

Also new, investigators were able to identify a decal on the suspect’s truck. It’s a 2013 (or newer) black, four-door Nissan Frontier with a PRO-4X sticker.

There’s also a new investigator on the case because the previous one was promoted. The family says they’re thankful to have the resources of both men.
______
ETA: I wonder which home surveillance camera recorded this conversation....her's or the neighbors.....

Last edited:
After 18 Months, Police Still Seek Clues on Who Fatally Shot ‘Star Wars’ Fan at Her Own Garage Sale

Elizabeth Barraza had taken the day off from her job as a data reporter for a pipeline inspection company. The plan was to have a garage sale so she and her husband Sergio would have extra money to celebrate their 5th wedding anniversary at Universal Studio’s Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Orlando.

A neighbor’s surveillance camera captured a 2013 or newer four-door black Nissan Frontier PRO-4X drive past Barraza’s Tomball, Texas home, before turning around and then parking one house away. A small-statured person with long hair or a wig, wearing a long trench-coat and boots, got out of the pick-up truck and approached Barraza in her driveway.

According to police, Barraza said "good morning" before the unknown suspect pulled out a gun. There was a brief conversation before Barraza was shot four times.

As she lay dying in her driveway, the suspect drove away, but then circled back and drove past the crime scene.

“I feel they contacted somebody and said, ‘Hey, the job’s done,’” Harris County Sheriff’s Office Sgt. Michael Ritchie says in this week’s issue of PEOPLE. “And then that person said, ‘Are you sure?’ And they turned around and drove by the scene one more time.”

Barraza’s best friend Marci Shelley says much of her life was dedicated to helping friends and strangers.
An interesting statement in there from LE:
As she lay dying in her driveway, the suspect drove away, but then circled back and drove past the crime scene.

“I feel they contacted somebody and said, ‘Hey, the job’s done,’” Harris County Sheriff’s Office Sgt. Michael Ritchie says in this week’s issue of PEOPLE. “And then that person said, ‘Are you sure?’ And they turned around and drove by the scene one more time.”

Maybe I missed it before or I saw this and forgot about it. But this theory that the killer doubled back to make sure she was dead is new, to me anyway. (I did know the truck was seen twice, but not knowing the neighborhood I wondered if they didn't turn around in a cul-de-sac to go back out.)

Who knew she would be off that day? Her husband for one. But what about her co-workers and exactly what did she do at the pipeline inspection company where she worked? Who and where did she advertise about the sidewalk or garage sale? Do you have to get a permit for such a event from the city? (Even some cities where it is required the seller may not know this and proceeds without the permit and likely gets by.) I would imagine if it is like a lot of such events where I live the seller makes up signs about the sale and the address and posts them at the more traveled intersections in the area. I have all these questions in my mind that I would ask. Of course, the answers may already be in prior news articles and I either missed them or forgot.

The new info about her saying "good morning" to the killer verifies, IMO, she either didn't know them or didn't recognize them (disguise?) And it's still odd they didn't just shoot right away. They had a conversation for a few seconds. Unfortunate that it was quiet enough the camera didn't pick that up as well.

Why choose to kill her at her garage sale? So whatever the reason is that someone wanted her dead, this is still such an odd choice to me. Yes, it was early, just before 7 AM, but it was a weekday and not unheard of that people would be out and about either leaving for work or possibly running/walking dogs before leaving for work. Did they purposely do it that morning because she was having the garage sale? Or did they kill her IN SPITE OF the garage sale? (Meaning did they plan to kill her that morning and didn't realize she'd be out in the driveway but went ahead with the plan?)

On a non-garage sale, typical workday, would she leave after her husband? If so, is it possible they planned to go to her door and either shoot her in the doorway or barge their way in and were surprised to see her having the sale? That's one of the big questions for me -- if they purposely chose that day because they knew she'd be home and alone setting up for that sale or if they just happened to choose the day she was having the sale and didn't expect that. And if it's the former, why?

And who knew she would be off of work that day?

Very few people knew that. Police are saying they hope the down economy will convince someone to consider talking to LE for the $20,000 reward. Perhaps an accomplice? Whomever came up with the idea for a disguise must have known neighbors surveillance cameras would record the murder. Someone comfortable with using costumes.

And who knew she would be off of work that day?

Very few people knew that. Police are saying they hope the down economy will convince someone to consider talking to LE for the $20,000 reward. Perhaps an accomplice? Whomever came up with the idea for a disguise must have known neighbors surveillance cameras would record the murder. Someone comfortable with using costumes.

JMO

As wild as it is to say since this murder was caught on video, I think what's going to solve this is someone talking. I personally agree with LE that I think at least two people were involved - someone who hired a "hit" on her and someone who carried it out. That means at least two different families (potentially, if either perp lived with family) who may have noticed them acting or behaving differently that day. Especially for the one who pulled the trigger - was someone's family member out extra early that day? Did they give another reason or excuse that maybe never sat well with you? For the person who hired the hit - did someone in your life take an early morning phone call where they acted secretively and you kind of wrote it off in the moment?

Sure, each of these people might live alone (or I guess even with each other), but I feel chances are they also might have a family member who was aware of a change in routine that day. I just hope if that's the case, someone is willing to come forward with that tip.

After 18 Months, Police Still Seek Clues on Who Fatally Shot ‘Star Wars’ Fan at Her Own Garage Sale

Elizabeth Barraza had taken the day off from her job as a data reporter for a pipeline inspection company. The plan was to have a garage sale so she and her husband Sergio would have extra money to celebrate their 5th wedding anniversary at Universal Studio’s Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Orlando.

A neighbor’s surveillance camera captured a 2013 or newer four-door black Nissan Frontier PRO-4X drive past Barraza’s Tomball, Texas home, before turning around and then parking one house away. A small-statured person with long hair or a wig, wearing a long trench-coat and boots, got out of the pick-up truck and approached Barraza in her driveway.

According to police, Barraza said "good morning" before the unknown suspect pulled out a gun. There was a brief conversation before Barraza was shot four times.

Barraza’s best friend Marci Shelley says much of her life was dedicated to helping friends and strangers.
Ok.. I’m just thinking out loud here and have a couple questions.

If Liz didn’t know who the person was that shot her then who was it it? I’ve been in the camp of a male shooter because of the run. If female it would have to be an uncoordinated female, imho.
So that takes me to a “hired hit” . Is it a hired hit?

From the article, (bbm)

.... taken the day off from her job as a data reporter for a pipeline inspection company.

We know from her Facebook Liz Barraza
that company was Rosen. Why are all articles so careful NOT to name where she worked? Has anyone ever looked at what a Data Reporter does at Rosen? Or even what Rosen does? Could Liz have discovered something that would make her a target? Take a peek at this article that details mistakes Rosen made that cost Shell millions and contributed to 500 barrels spilling. From this article: Oil pipeline inspection industry 'going wrong' as surveys fail to prevent spills

But the fire marshal found that problems were missed. Rosen and Kinder Morgan both concluded incorrectly that their survey data did not report any problematic features at the location of the May 2016 failure.
CHN spoke to two former employees of an internationally operating inspection company. Both recently resigned over practices they said included misleading pipeline operators about inspectors’ ability to identify certain weaknesses in order to win contracts. They asked to remain anonymous.

More info on this spill and cleanup. After Two Spills, Shell Oil to Replace Miles of Problem Pipeline | KQED

A small-statured person with long hair or a wig, wearing a long trench-coat and boots, got out of the pick-up truck and approached Barraza in her driveway.

I guess LE is not saying sex because they don’t know or don’t want to. Hmm which is it? Why have they not been able to trace back a wig purchase or trench coat or boots? Did the shooter already have these items? Were they involved in cosplay?

A conversation is not one sided. That would not be called a conversation. I bet LE knows more here and it concerns me that they likely do know more of a convo yet no arrests. What could have been said?

Also, since I just looked at her Facebook, it appears her hubby has a new girlfriend visible by her friends list.

I just can’t believe this vehicle hasn’t been traced back. Somebody has to know more. Praying that Liz get justice.

Jmo “trench coat” may not have come from LE but rather People being dramatic...
How do they know she said “good morning”? Can they see or hear it on the video? And maybe the truck was simply coming back around to get out of neighborhood? Some of those neighborhoods have cul de sac streets, etc, where they loop back around. My niece lives nearby in Tomball. I hope LE has more than that to assume murder for hire...jmo.

How do they know she said “good morning”? Can they see or hear it on the video? And maybe the truck was simply coming back around to get out of neighborhood? Some of those neighborhoods have cul de sac streets, etc, where they loop back around. My niece lives nearby in Tomball. I hope LE has more than that to assume murder for hire...jmo.

BBM

New details in murder of Tomball woman at garage sale, including her final words and description of truck

"The Harris County Sheriff’s Office is now saying Barraza could be heard saying "Good morning” to her killer before the cold-blooded shooting in the driveway of her Tomball home in January 2019." A few sentences later, they say the convo was muffled but was recorded on a home surveillance camera, so I think she said "good morning" loud enough it could also be heard on the neighbor's camera.

Yes, LE heard her say "Good Morning" on the video. They said there was further conversation, but didn't give any more details. The video was from a security cam at a neighbor's house. Check the article at the link, it has some information.

Ok.. I’m just thinking out loud here and have a couple questions.

If Liz didn’t know who the person was that shot her then who was it it? I’ve been in the camp of a male shooter because of the run. If female it would have to be an uncoordinated female, imho.
So that takes me to a “hired hit” . Is it a hired hit?

From the article, (bbm)

.... taken the day off from her job as a data reporter for a pipeline inspection company.

We know from her Facebook Liz Barraza
that company was Rosen. Why are all articles so careful NOT to name where she worked? Has anyone ever looked at what a Data Reporter does at Rosen? Or even what Rosen does? Could Liz have discovered something that would make her a target? Take a peek at this article that details mistakes Rosen made that cost Shell millions and contributed to 500 barrels spilling. From this article: Oil pipeline inspection industry 'going wrong' as surveys fail to prevent spills

But the fire marshal found that problems were missed. Rosen and Kinder Morgan both concluded incorrectly that their survey data did not report any problematic features at the location of the May 2016 failure.
CHN spoke to two former employees of an internationally operating inspection company. Both recently resigned over practices they said included misleading pipeline operators about inspectors’ ability to identify certain weaknesses in order to win contracts. They asked to remain anonymous.

More info on this spill and cleanup. After Two Spills, Shell Oil to Replace Miles of Problem Pipeline | KQED

I guess LE is not saying sex because they don’t know or don’t want to. Hmm which is it? Why have they not been able to trace back a wig purchase or trench coat or boots? Did the shooter already have these items? Were they involved in cosplay?

A conversation is not one sided. That would not be called a conversation. I bet LE knows more here and it concerns me that they likely do know more of a convo yet no arrests. What could have been said?

Also, since I just looked at her Facebook, it appears her hubby has a new girlfriend visible by her friends list.

I just can’t believe this vehicle hasn’t been traced back. Somebody has to know more. Praying that Liz get justice.
Thanks for the info on the Rosen company. I'm not saying they're involved, but if this is a hired killer they can't be ruled out.

This case has weighed on me since the morning it happened due to the immediate release of the video. This is local to me so hits close to home--also as someone who was once involved in active online communities and conventions, it's my worst nightmare.

A few years ago, I wound up with a stalker from an online fandom community who was obsessed with my ex (he was also active in the community) and despised me as a result. I won't go into detail, but I will say it became so serious we spent a fortune on a lawyer, installed video cameras all around our house, and I still fear one day what happened to Elizabeth will happen to me when I'm going to work early one morning or working out in the garage with the door open. All because I pissed off the wrong unhinged person on the internet. Someone who fixated on destroying me for yeaaars.

So my point is to not discount it being a scorned online friend with a serious personality disorder who really feels they're in the right by committing this cold blooded murder. Someone who maybe even drove from out of state, and knew his schedule and what she was doing because of possible updates about their day to day activities on social media. That's how I was "found"--my stalkers used random tweets about my activities to track down various locations of mine and other personal details.

This may have been a "hit" but I doubt it was professional. A professional wouldn't have fired four shots and still left her alive.

This case has weighed on me since the morning it happened due to the immediate release of the video. This is local to me so hits close to home--also as someone who was once involved in active online communities and conventions, it's my worst nightmare.

A few years ago, I wound up with a stalker from an online fandom community who was obsessed with my ex (he was also active in the community) and despised me as a result. I won't go into detail, but I will say it became so serious we spent a fortune on a lawyer, installed video cameras all around our house, and I still fear one day what happened to Elizabeth will happen to me when I'm going to work early one morning or working out in the garage with the door open. All because I pissed off the wrong unhinged person on the internet. Someone who fixated on destroying me for yeaaars.

So my point is to not discount it being a scorned online friend with a serious personality disorder who really feels they're in the right by committing this cold blooded murder. Someone who maybe even drove from out of state, and knew his schedule and what she was doing because of possible updates about their day to day activities on social media. That's how I was "found"--my stalkers used random tweets about my activities to track down various locations of mine and other personal details.

This may have been a "hit" but I doubt it was professional. A professional wouldn't have fired four shots and still left her alive.

Welcome Aliciakang! I am terribly sorry to read about your history and what you went thru. So glad u are here with us!

ETA: good post!

Based on the video clip, I would agree that shooter had little expertise with firearms.

Well there's a little bit more information.

If Barraza said "good morning", as LE claims, she probably didn't know or recognize her killer. If it was someone she knew, you would think she'd greet them by name - "Hi ____!"

Who would have hired a "hit" person or contract killer?

Not necessarily - I say "good morning" to my neighbors, even though I know their names.

At some point in the interaction before the shots were fired, Liz suddenly recoils visibly, shortly before she takes what the killer handed to her right before the shooting. Either she recognized the person at that point, or she recoiled because of something that was said to her. It could have also been because she saw a gun, but you would think she wouldn't take the item or paper the killer handed to her if she had just seen a weapon; she would have run for cover. Whatever was handed to her also seemed like it was at least partly intended to be a distraction so Liz would be looking elsewhere the moment the gun came out.

Thanks for the info on the Rosen company. I'm not saying they're involved, but if this is a hired killer they can't be ruled out.
Passed over for a promotion perhaps?

The project manager would probably be the one in hot water. Unless Liz was on site during a pig run. And there are sketchy things behind the scenes with a pipeline leak that never makes the news.
JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member