TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris County, Jan 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This case and the Missy Bevers case are two that I'm just shocked can't be solved. In both cases, they seemed very personal and I assumed that trails would easily lead back to the killers. I hate that the warrant was mentioned then nothing every came of it :(

My total guess, and this is obviously completely just my amateur opinion, is that the perp is someone they were remotely acquainted with through their star wars group(s). That person took a dislike to them for whatever reason and enacted some revenge. This person is highly disturbed and probably has paranoid delusions. I am guessing that when the perp is caught and Sergio learns the name, he will react with WTH? The person probably never even blipped on his radar. Just my guess.
If he knew the person, don't you think he would recognize the truck and women in the video and put two and two together?

If he knew the person, don't you think he would recognize the truck and women in the video and put two and two together?
No, I'm saying he didn't know the person except having been remotely associated from one of these groups, perhaps on-line. He wouldn't know their truck, nor be able to recognize the person especially in the silly get-up.

Come to think of it, a person could buy a truck for cash on Craigslist, put a fake plate on it, use it for a couple of days (for the crime), and then hide it or get rid of it, and there might not be any record of who made the purchase, because they just would simply never register the vehicle in their name ever. They could even have someone else make the purchase for them.

Or a person could borrow a relative's truck saying they need to move some things, do the fake plate thing again; and the relative might not even be local. They could tell the relative they wrecked the truck or even return the truck (miles away). Maybe the truck wasn't even registered in the first place.

Or they could just buy the truck from a relative or friend and do some of the same things - never register it, say it got wrecked, etc. Lots of possibilities. It takes a lot of patience to plan something like this unless this person just got incredibly "lucky." It was still dark out, I think, at the time of the murder. But there were lots of school buses and people going to work so the brazenness is still really strange. So many people have video; this person still took a lot of chances.

Sometimes I wonder, why didn't the person commit the crime inside the house? One possible answer - he or she knew the house had Ring video. If so then they knew things about the couple or at least about the house. They didn't take the chance of being identified on a close-up video.

One thing that really concerns me is who was Liz on the phone to just before this happened. Of course the police already know this. And it may not mean anything that she was on a call. But it is very suspicious. And it looks like she was upset and gesturing while on this call. The call could have been to make sure she was in the yard. People setting up garage sales go in and out of the house or garage.

My total guess, and this is obviously completely just my amateur opinion, is that the perp is someone they were remotely acquainted with through their star wars group(s). That person took a dislike to them for whatever reason and enacted some revenge. This person is highly disturbed and probably has paranoid delusions. I am guessing that when the perp is caught and Sergio learns the name, he will react with WTH? The person probably never even blipped on his radar. Just my guess.
You sum up pretty well what I had in my mind. I think it comes from the cosplay community but they never saw it coming. JMO

I say they took chances, but only so many. First, they probably had an untraceable car. Second, they were in costume so it's fair to assume that the costume's intent was to disguise them as much as possible, which could mean this was a man. Third, they were out of range of the home's close-up video. So with the costume and untraceable car, the only risks to them were: 1) car breakdown 2) being accosted by a witness. If those things did not happen then they could drive out of the neighborhood and would presumably have a planned route to get them away from view to avoid them being chased. ?? The murderer did not look around one last time to see if they were being observed once they walked up to Liz, at least not that I saw. Not even after the first shots. They still took the extra time and risk to do the last shot. Liz still lived until the next day I believe, even after all of that. Based on several things I have looked at over all these months, I like to think I've got a better idea of her personality. I think she was a strong person who was not the type to be overly worried about people-pleasing just for the sake of being liked. And she was sweet and very well-liked, but I think she was also a confident person who could speak her mind when necessary. I like that about her.

Last edited:
Sometimes I wonder, why didn't the person commit the crime inside the house? One possible answer - he or she knew the house had Ring video. If so then they knew things about the couple or at least about the house. They didn't take the chance of being identified on a close-up video.

One thing that really concerns me is who was Liz on the phone to just before this happened. Of course the police already know this. And it may not mean anything that she was on a call. But it is very suspicious. And it looks like she was upset and gesturing while on this call. The call could have been to make sure she was in the yard. People setting up garage sales go in and out of the house or garage.

Because they could leave evidence in a house. DNA, fingerprints, footprints, hair. It’s harder to get evidence in an open outdoor crime scene. When’s the last time they got a piece of hair as evidence in a murder that happened outside?

That makes sense. It's clear that the killer knew about the garage sale. The signs were only put out on the street shortly before the garage sale. So friends, co-workers, and possibly acquaintances were the only ones outside of family who would have known about it. All these people have been investigated. No one has been officially cleared to the media. The killer had to be within a certain height range even if his height was disguised by lifts in the shoes.

I think the shooter is a woman. I've tried to envision a man maybe in disguise, but it just doesn't work for me. I'll probably be proved wrong though. It's obviously not random, a targeted attack for sure. So I imagine LE are gathering the pieces and building their case. The most important details being, why was she killed at this time and in this way? Then the 'who' will become clear, I hope. Moo.

Found it. It recently sold on Aug 23, 2019. It was a VERY lovely home. Photos are here.
8623 Cedar Walk Drive, Tomball, TX 77375 - HAR.com

I only recently heard that a home (at least in the state that I am looking in) that has experienced a violent death must be reported to have had that death occur when listing. I'm looking forward to the day that THIS one is solved! The only thing I've heard back from the local newscaster so far was to ask me if I knew her parents as they were simply LOVELY people.

It's a very nice home. I LOVE that kitchen! Is it odd that her DH put it on the market to sell so soon after her death? What a tragic loss. MOO
Everyone is different ‍♀️ I know when my sisters first husband passed (skin cancer), she sold the house less than 6 months later. She felt like it was too big for her and their baby and she wanted to be closer to family.

YMMV but I wouldn't want to live in the house where my spouse was coldly and brutally murdered.
I agree, however I wouldn't want to purchase a home/property where a murder happened and the killer was still unknown and not apprehended.
JMO been following this case and hoping daily we would have at least a POI.
The perp/murder for sure has long legs and gallop's like a horse out of the gate. Maybe some experience running track. I feel MOO this was a gun for hire hit.
Premeditated and of course deadly. That's what that third shot was all about. To make sure the hit was completed. JMO no death no final payment. And the video released show the hit was successful. No evidence needed for the person who ordered it. It was all in MSM.
The person doing the hit could be over the border long gone. However the person ordering and made payment lives the the USA. Too different worlds.
JMO only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member