TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris County, Jan 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering if it could be someone her husband worked with. Someone had to know he would not be staying home and helping set up for the garage sale but actually going into work that day and at the usual time. I mean, I'm sure LE has checked into co-workers of both of them, etc., but maybe someone was giving a co-worker an alibi and covering for them? I'm wondering if any co-workers of the husband had that day as a scheduled day off or went into work at a later hour, etc. Or did Elizabeth share with her friends/co-workers that her husband would be going in?

I'm just wondering because when we have had garage sales on a Friday, my husband has also taken off of work that day because it's such a huge task to set up and tear down and it's helpful to have extra hands when it gets busy. Just sharing this to say I don't think it would be weird or unusual for a spouse to also stay home that day, so did someone know specifically he would be going to work?

At the time of the murder Sergio was working as a floor installer according to his mother.

I remember reading somewhere that Sergio worked with his father laying floors.

Barraza said her son and daughter-in-law are Sergio and Elizabeth Barraza. She added that they have been married for four years and lived in their home on Cedar Walk Drive for two or three years. She also Sergio was at work doing flooring when Elizabeth, in her late 20s, was shot.

Woman shot point blank while setting up garage sale in Tomball area

At the time of the murder Sergio was working as a floor installer according to his mother.

Barraza said her son and daughter-in-law are Sergio and Elizabeth Barraza. She added that they have been married for four years and lived in their home on Cedar Walk Drive for two or three years. She also Sergio was at work doing flooring when Elizabeth, in her late 20s, was shot.

Very interesting points MntnHiker! I've always thought about how could murderer have know Elizabeth's schedule so well, but hadn't considered that they'd need to have known the husband's just as well. I think it was posted that the nissan truck had been seen on video footage driving around the street sometime in the middle of the night, but that would still not have given them the info that the husband would be out.

A weird idea I have is that this may not be a professional killer and I wonder if police checked with local shooting ranges a few days prior to the murder to see if anyone who signed in for practice shooting might somehow be related or have known Elizabeth?

Very interesting points MntnHiker! I've always thought about how could murderer have know Elizabeth's schedule so well, but hadn't considered that they'd need to have known the husband's just as well. I think it was posted that the nissan truck had been seen on video footage driving around the street sometime in the middle of the night, but that would still not have given them the info that the husband would be out.

A weird idea I have is that this may not be a professional killer and I wonder if police checked with local shooting ranges a few days prior to the murder to see if anyone who signed in for practice shooting might somehow be related or have known Elizabeth?

BBM~~~~~

Great idea to check the shooting ranges. Not just days prior to the murder but weeks.

Elizabeth's former co-worker posted that Elizabeth did the garage sale every year. A neighbor said the same thing. Co-workers, other cosplay members, neighbors would most likely know the garage sale was coming up.

"She has some really nice things,” said Cindy Ghrist, who lives across the street from the victim. “I was with her last year when she was doing the garage sale.”

Ghrist says the garage sale was an annual event at the victim’s home."

He actually wasn’t at work. He had left for work 4 minutes before the shooting. And it took him 20 minutes to get back home.

Did the times he left for work vary day to day?

Why did it take him 20 minutes to return home as he'd only been gone 4 minutes before she was shot? No phone, maybe?

Do we know when he was called and who called him? A neighbor or LE? I've never seen info that he came back 20 minutes later. It doesn't suprise me though, I would guess he wasn't called immediately since there priority would have been trying to save her life not notify family but maybe a neighbor called after calling 911.

Did the times he left for work vary day to day?

Why did it take him 20 minutes to return home as he'd only been gone 4 minutes before she was shot? No phone, maybe?
I believe he left around the same time every day. It took him a long time to get home because of where he was. The road he was on isn’t somewhere easy to turn around on. And Houston is notorious for only being 5 miles away from something and having it take you 45 minutes to get there.

Do we know when he was called and who called him? A neighbor or LE? I've never seen info that he came back 20 minutes later. It doesn't suprise me though, I would guess he wasn't called immediately since there priority would have been trying to save her life not notify family but maybe a neighbor called after calling 911.
I read that he was getting alerts on his doorbell camera and then his neighbor called and told him there was a shooting.

I know statistically in these instances, the husband is involved, and yes some things look bad for him (especially the timing of when he leaves and when the killer shows up), but I really don’t think he’s involved. If he were, I believe the police would have made a connection and he would have been arrested by now. I know we don’t know for sure, but as I’ve posted before, I think it’s a man in a woman’s costume. And if it is a man in a woman’s costume (or even a woman in a costume), there has to be a connection to their Star Wars group, a group whose members .. wait for it... dress up in highly detailed Star Wars costumes (duh). Could it be that simple? Maybe it’s not a Star Wars costume, but a different kind of costume to conceal the killer’s identity. Also, if the killer wanted Sergio dead too, they could have just shown up earlier to take them both out. I have a feeling Liz unintentionally set someone off within the Star Wars group, and this person hired someone to kill her. Instead of a note, the killer shows Liz a picture of the person she hurt in some way so they confirm Liz as a target, then kills Liz. It seemed pretty important to the person(s) that killed her that they showed & told Liz something (“This is what you get for ________”) before killing her.

Like you, I don't get the feeling that the husband is involved.

For me, the fact that the murderer arrived minutes after Sergio left for work is not a big deal. Elizabeth was the target, IMO, so it makes sense they would wait until Sergio left.

The murderer could very well be dressed in some sort of Star Wars costume. I see a loose upper garment, possibly a cape, boots and the hair swinging down during the last shot reminds me of a wig.

IMO, I can see someone connected to their cosplay group who saw, in their mind, Elizabeth as rival and was jealous of her. Better costumes, more recognition, etc. He/she may have been seething for some time and then something happened which sent them into a rage and they decided to do something about it.

I noticed in the video below that one of the items on the driveway was a Star Wars mask. Perhaps Elizabeth posted something on a cosplay forum or chat about the garage sale, or she may have told a few people but it was then spread by word of mouth.

Such a sad case.

This case has to be solved. We can figure this out together. How is the person who killed Liz still not caught? We know the make and model of the vehicle - surely this car drove somewhere where it may have been caught on surveillance video.

I hope they collected as much surveillance video as they could in a certain radius.

Also hope they got cell phone tower dumps for all towers in the area.

The murderer may not have had their phone at the time of the murder but possibly had it the night before when he/she was in the area.

I don't remember if this was posted, but a few things stuck with me.

1. The investigator believes there is more than one person involved.
2. He also says. "I do feel that it [new lead with Texas Rangers] has a very good chance of revealing some positive information that could lead to identifying a suspect."
3. The killer drove past their house, turned around, and parked in front of their house before exiting their truck. IMO they were either positioning themselves for the closest neighborhood exit onto Kuykendahl, OR they knew they would be out of sight from the Ring doorbell camera.

Tomball murder mystery: Who killed Elizabeth Barraza?

Just throwing things out there...

How did the perps know where they live? (Have people over from work/charity work?)

Could it be a disgruntled ex-BF or ex-coworker that got fired somehow related?

Facebook post saying they are going on a trip soon/garage sale?

Could it be a hit to punish the husband (ex-gf)?

Having seen the same car on film the previous night would point towards being targeted. The manner it was executed also looked like revenge.

Revenge for what? Can't just be a slight. Likely a big grudge.

Life insurance policy?

Phone gotta be captured in the tower. Cross reference database with all the names for a registration to a nissan pickup.

Lastly a jealous disgruntled star wars fan got disrespected in a convention in front of everyone?

The detectives talked about the warrant results back in August, I think, and still we haven't heard anything.

I am still hoping we hear something before the 15 month mark but if we don't then it will be terribly discouraging. However I am sure the detectives are doing everything they possibly can. But I'm wishing that a private investigative firm had been hired also.

This is the most perplexing case and like many here, I have spent hours and also thought I knew what happened but in spite of looking at every thing there is to look at and then some, I don't have answers. All I know is that I felt very sick deep in my gut about some things based on impressions I got. But that's not evidence that can bring in a perpetrator.

All good points. I've also thought maybe unrequited love. They knew and spent time with a LOT of people. This could have gone both ways, too. Someone taking her out to get close to SB, OR she could have shut down advances made towards her and unknowingly upset someone. MOO

Maybe someone else can confirm this, but I think there is a very lengthy process to getting into, and getting costumes approved in the Star Wars groups. Maybe someone wasn't accepted, or a costume got denied...just a thought.

Just throwing things out there...

How did the perps know where they live? (Have people over from work/charity work?)

Could it be a disgruntled ex-BF or ex-coworker that got fired somehow related?

Facebook post saying they are going on a trip soon/garage sale?

Could it be a hit to punish the husband (ex-gf)?

Having seen the same car on film the previous night would point towards being targeted. The manner it was executed also looked like revenge.

Revenge for what? Can't just be a slight. Likely a big grudge.

Life insurance policy?

Phone gotta be captured in the tower. Cross reference database with all the names for a registration to a nissan pickup.

Lastly a jealous disgruntled star wars fan got disrespected in a convention in front of everyone?

I don't remember if this was posted, but a few things stuck with me.

1. The investigator believes there is more than one person involved.
2. He also says. "I do feel that it [new lead with Texas Rangers] has a very good chance of revealing some positive information that could lead to identifying a suspect."
3. The killer drove past their house, turned around, and parked in front of their house before exiting their truck. IMO they were either positioning themselves for the closest neighborhood exit onto Kuykendahl, OR they knew they would be out of sight from the Ring doorbell camera.

Tomball murder mystery: Who killed Elizabeth Barraza?

BBM~~~~

I think it's likely they parked where they did for a quick getaway. I also think the place where the murderer parked allowed him/her to observe Elizabeth without her knowing.

Not sure if they were thinking about cameras. If they were worried about cameras how would they know the house next door to Elizabeth's didn't have one. They parked almost directly in front of the neighbor's house. They are also parked directly across from the house across the street.

In this video (about 2:47 in) there is a black car parked in approx. the same spot where the murderer pulled over. It is right in front of the neighbors house.

The murderer drives passed Elizabeth's house at 6:51:38. Elizabeth is outside but she is up closer to the garage. (0:53 in video below)

The murderer turns around and then pulls over before reaching Elizabeth's driveway. From the time the murderer stops the truck until they get out and approach Elizabeth about 15 seconds go by. Were they watching Elizabeth? Adjusting their murder outfit? A better view of the truck parking is in this video about 1:00:39 in.

BBM~~~~

I think it's likely they parked where they did for a quick getaway. I also think the place where the murderer parked allowed him/her to observe Elizabeth without her knowing.

Not sure if they were thinking about cameras. If they were worried about cameras how would they know the house next door to Elizabeth's didn't have one. They parked almost directly in front of the neighbor's house. They are also parked directly across from the house across the street.

In this video (about 2:47 in) there is a black car parked in approx. the same spot where the murderer pulled over. It is right in front of the neighbors house.

The murderer drives passed Elizabeth's house at 6:51:38. Elizabeth is outside but she is up closer to the garage. (0:53 in video below)

The murderer turns around and then pulls over before reaching Elizabeth's driveway. From the time the murderer stops the truck until they get out and approach Elizabeth about 15 seconds go by. Were they watching Elizabeth? Adjusting their murder outfit? A better view of the truck parking is in this video about 1:00:39 in.

Good questions. Since LE has said 2 people perhaps were involved in the murder, it's possible the killer is calling or texting their accomplice. Also possibly adjusting and checking their disguise/costume, trying to collect their thoughts and get up the courage. It was definitely planned some time in advance, per LE in the news media. The killer's movements look a little rehearsed, JMO, like they'd rehearsed this or had some experience.

On Gray Hughes video, the comment about Lola L..O..L..A... seems possible. It does look like a man dressed as a woman, though not a large man. The *advertiser censored* look fake, true. The white boots look kind of odd, too. Not a style you see women wearing these days, if that's what they are. Was there any informal consensus on the type of footwear and clothing the killer was wearing?

I know it's been said cameras have picked up that same truck driving through the neighborhood the night before. I wonder if that's the first time they were there. They may have done some casing out of the place ahead of time to try and see people's patterns in leaving for work, etc. and which houses had Ring or something similar. If they drove by with an accomplice in the passenger seat who had binoculars, they could make out on which doors there were Ring doorbells.

I'm very curious what time of night they were captured in the neighborhood. Was it early enough in the evening that they may have been there to commit the murder if Elizabeth was outside (some people set up for a sale the night before, too)? Was it in the wee hours when they were perhaps staking out a spot to park without neighbors' watchful eyes and also seeing who had security motion-sensor lights that pop on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
world1971