TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris County, Jan 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's been said cameras have picked up that same truck driving through the neighborhood the night before. I wonder if that's the first time they were there. They may have done some casing out of the place ahead of time to try and see people's patterns in leaving for work, etc. and which houses had Ring or something similar. If they drove by with an accomplice in the passenger seat who had binoculars, they could make out on which doors there were Ring doorbells.

I'm very curious what time of night they were captured in the neighborhood. Was it early enough in the evening that they may have been there to commit the murder if Elizabeth was outside (some people set up for a sale the night before, too)? Was it in the wee hours when they were perhaps staking out a spot to park without neighbors' watchful eyes and also seeing who had security motion-sensor lights that pop on?

Agree, probably looking for security cameras, sensor lights, etc. Most people don't set up outside for a sale on the prior night, but perhaps they would check to see if she was setting things up inside the garage. Some of it may have also been to check out streets and time the best escape route, how long it would take to get in and out.

I also find it strange they were seen driving around the neighborhood after the killing. It would make sense if cameras caught them leaving the crime scene, but if they returned later and cruised the neighborhood, it would be really odd.

MOO

I think the perpetrator was dressed in cosplay like Princess Leia (white dress and boots)

4 shots but Elizabeth didn’t die immediately means a small caliber bullet.

I see what you're talking about re the costume. The hair isn't the same and I was thinking the dress in the movie was long, but it appears there are some cosplay Star Wars costumes of Princess Leia that are shorter white dresses

Some even have a Princess Leia Bathrobe

FI8RQ5HH3QFM5DB.LARGE.jpg

I see what you're talking about re the costume. The hair isn't the same and I was thinking the dress in the movie was long, but it appears there are some cosplay Star Wars costumes of Princess Leia that are shorter white dresses

So if the killer was a guy wearing a Princess Leia bathrobe or similar costume, that could explain LE's statement that they believe more than one person was involved in the murder. It would be the male killer and whomever loaned him the costume? Just a guess.

JMO, it seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to get the cosplay community to come together and figure out the name of a suspect.

So if the killer was a guy wearing a Princess Leia bathrobe or similar costume, that could explain LE's statement that they believe more than one person was involved in the murder. It would be the male killer and whomever loaned him the costume? Just a guess.

JMO, it seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to get the cosplay community to come together and figure out the name of a suspect.
bbm
Hmmm, @Betty P, that's an interesting thought -- word the announcement stressing how important it is to attend, give plenty of notice, have the attendees sign-in when they arrive, and take note of those who are not present. But, if I were the killer, I would be sure to be there.
Interesting idea -- it's worth a try IMO.

bbm
Hmmm, @Betty P, that's an interesting thought -- word the announcement stressing how important it is to attend, give plenty of notice, have the attendees sign-in when they arrive, and take note of those who are not present. But, if I were the killer, I would be sure to be there.
Interesting idea -- it's worth a try IMO.

Yes, just keep doing vigils, etc. Make note of who is and isn't attending. Keep the discussion going in the group. Keep the pressure on.

All good points. I've also thought maybe unrequited love. They knew and spent time with a LOT of people. This could have gone both ways, too. Someone taking her out to get close to SB, OR she could have shut down advances made towards her and unknowingly upset someone. MOO

Maybe someone else can confirm this, but I think there is a very lengthy process to getting into, and getting costumes approved in the Star Wars groups. Maybe someone wasn't accepted, or a costume got denied...just a thought.

Agree with you 100% on all your scenarios.

From what I have read there are some strict rules for costume approval and trooping with the costumes. As you said, perhaps someones costume was denied. Additionally, perhaps a costume Elizabeth submitted was approved.

Elizabeth was the Event Coordinator for The South Texas Squad of The Star Garrison. Could it have to do with something she did in that capacity?

You can never tell what might set someone off.

The video released by HCSOT on January 25th shows the truck approaching the same intersection and making a right turn at two different times.

In the first approach and turn it appears to be dark out. In the second there is more light.

Using Google maps I was able to pinpoint the intersection. In both videos the truck is turning right from Gilbough Drive on to Oconee Dr. After turning right Oconee Dr continues for approx. 500 feet. It then curves to the left and turns into Cedar Walk Drive.

So both times the truck was caught on this video it was a little over 700 feet from the Barraza house and heading in the direction of the house.

Sunrise in Tomball Texas was around 7:15am on January 25, 2019.

The first part of the video shows the truck and it is dark. It could have been the night before the murder or Friday morning right before the shooting.

The second part of the video shows the truck again and there is more light but there is not full daylight yet. It may be shortly after the murder.

"Ritchie said his best clue is the suspect’s truck, a Nissan Frontier 4x4. Investigators were able to get several pieces of surveillance video from people living in the neighborhood and nearby businesses. The videos showed the truck in the neighborhood the night before and again after the murder."

Video here:
HCSOTexas on Twitter

Tomball murder mystery: Who killed Elizabeth Barraza?

The video released by HCSOT on January 25th shows the truck approaching the same intersection and making a right turn at two different times.

In the first approach and turn it appears to be dark out. In the second there is more light.

Using Google maps I was able to pinpoint the intersection. In both videos the truck is turning right from Gilbough Drive on to Oconee Dr. After turning right Oconee Dr continues for approx. 500 feet. It then curves to the left and turns into Cedar Walk Drive.

So both times the truck was caught on this video it was a little over 700 feet from the Barraza house and heading in the direction of the house.

Sunrise in Tomball Texas was around 7:15am on January 25, 2019.

The first part of the video shows the truck and it is dark. It could have been the night before the murder or Friday morning right before the shooting.

The second part of the video shows the truck again and there is more light but there is not full daylight yet. It may be shortly after the murder.

"Ritchie said his best clue is the suspect’s truck, a Nissan Frontier 4x4. Investigators were able to get several pieces of surveillance video from people living in the neighborhood and nearby businesses. The videos showed the truck in the neighborhood the night before and again after the murder."

Video here:
HCSOTexas on Twitter

I hadn't realized the truck went by again AFTER the murder. (But Ritchie clearly stated this in the above referenced article).That takes an incredible amount of....stupidity, inexperience, extreme risk, and or serious ballsiness or serious single mindedness. In other words, a certifiable nut case. Unbelievable.

The truck. The truck. That, IMO, is the oddest thing of all in this tragedy. Was it old enuff to be considered a "junker" -- bought cheap and bought for this one purpose?
Would the killer have taken that vehicle somewhere, somehow removed or damaged the VIN, and just pushed it into a river, or off a cliff, or deep into the woods somewhere, or just taken a sledge hammer to it and then taken it to a junk yard, or just left it on the side of some deserted and little-traveled road?

That truck is a real wild-card in this mess, IMHO. Maybe LE has found it and they are keeping eyes on it -- but seems to me they would have processed it for prints and possibly blood stains -- unlikely any blood IMO, but who knoze?
That truck... SMH.

I go back and forth on whether the killer was someone she knew or someone that was hired by someone she knew.

In the video footage of the shooting, she kind of jumps back/is taken aback when the person comes upon her. But it could just be she was startled to see anyone right up on her. It doesn't necessarily mean the person was a stranger. I'm just thinking if the actual shooter was someone known to her, I don't see any way they could have used their own vehicle. I'm sure LE has scrutinized those close to her and her husband and also seen what vehicles they all drove or used to drive. So that would mean if it was someone known to her, did they borrow someone else's car? For that person to not come forward, are they covering for them?

Stealing a truck would be too risky IMO. I guess they could have bought a vehicle specifically for this purpose but that also seems risky because someone could see this on the news and go to LE saying "Hey I just sold so and so a truck like this." And the more I think of it, borrowing it from someone for that specific weekend seems super risky as well.

All of these things make me wonder if this person was a stranger but hired by someone to kill her. That means a second person would be in the know, but they obviously would have a reason to keep it hidden--their own freedom.

I hadn't realized the truck went by again AFTER the murder. (But Ritchie clearly stated this in the above referenced article).That takes an incredible amount of....stupidity, inexperience, extreme risk, and or serious ballsiness or serious single mindedness. In other words, a certifiable nut case. Unbelievable.

This was brought up awhile ago, and I think the statement means the truck was caught on video directly after the shooting, as it was leaving. I do not think it was cruising the neighborhood hours or days after the crime. But that is just my interpretation of this statement from this news article below. Note that it is not a direct quote from LE, but is the wording from the article:
“The videos showed the truck in the neighborhood the night before and again after the murder."

I wonder if you were to undo the hair buns on Princess Leis ears, if it would look like that wig?

This was brought up awhile ago, and I think the statement means the truck was caught on video directly after the shooting, as it was leaving. I do not think it was cruising the neighborhood hours or days after the crime. But that is just my interpretation of this statement from this news article below. Note that it is not a direct quote from LE, but is the wording from the article:
“The videos showed the truck in the neighborhood the night before and again after the murder."

Thank you. That's what I thought.

Does anyone know if young kids participate in Cos play? Maybe it was a very mad Dad angry that his young daughter (dressing as PL) was kicked out of the group?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharlafields