GUILTY TX - Ethan Couch 'Affluenza Teen' DUI driver who killed four gets probation, 2013 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is an adult in Mexico?
Ethan is 18 right? It's his 19th birthday coming up in April correct?

Is it possible that Mom wanted to high-tail it out of Mexico so she did not get charged with bringing the gun into Mexico? At the point she was deported, the gun issue was not the main focus IIRC.

Perhaps the attorneys for Ethan and Tonya advised them it would be easier to get Ethan out of the charge than Tonya, an adult.

I agree with the lawyer, about the hotel gun thing being suspect. Even the Couchs wouldn’t be stupid enough to leave a gun laying around in a hotel room.

Nah, given all their other awesome subterfuge, I think they are EXACTLY that stupid.

YMMV.

ETA: spelling skills be not goodly

I agree with the lawyer, about the hotel gun thing being suspect. Even the Couchs wouldn’t be stupid enough to leave a gun laying around in a hotel room.

I wouldn't put anything past them.

Nah, given all their other awesome subterfuge, I think they are EXACTLY that stupid.

Yeah, such as how they got caught by calling Domino's Pizza for delivery to their address, from their own phone! :laughing::laughcry:

Well at least the dad doesn't have to help since the kid is of age now.

But let's ponder for a second. The lawyer and doctors said that he has affluenza. Now the judge felt okay to give him leniency while getting bashed.

Now he runs. So he has just violated his probation conditions . So hopefully the next judge will not be duped and force him to serve the remaining years in prison. Along with the sentencing for running from the law.

Fingers crossed.
http://edition.cnn.com/2015/12/30/us/affluenza-teen-ethan-couch-detained-in-mexico/
I think maybe not too many years unless they can bust him on some other charges?
Even if a Mexican immigration court does decide to send Couch back to the United States, he might not face much time behind bars.

Violating his probation by fleeing to Mexico may earn Couch a maximum of 120 days in jail, said Tarrant County District Attorney Sharen Wilson.

She is, as I understand it, under arrest for hindering the apprehension of a felon.
She may bond out or not depending on Judge and likewise her bail conditions can be set by the judge.
She will likely be charged with a third degree felony.....

12.34. THIRD DEGREE FELONY PUNISHMENT.
(a) An individual adjudged guilty of a felony of the third degree shall be punished by imprisonment in the institutional division for any term of not more than 10 years or less than 2 years.
(b) In addition to imprisonment, an individual adjudged guilty of a felony of the third degree may be punished by a fine not to exceed $10,000.

Can she buy herself out of this?:moo:

Regarding the houses and property they own and live on.

Title of this article: Affluenza teen lived in his OWN mansion

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...iver-let-killing-crash-wild-parties-home.html

And from this article:

http://www.dmagazine.com/publicatio...a-the-worst-parents-ever-ethan-couch?single=1

. Fred built a 7,000-square-foot house on 3 acres in Northwest Fort Worth. The property includes a two-story guesthouse and an even bigger workshop than the Burleson house has. And at some point, Tonya moved back in. Asked when in 2011 they remarried, Fred said, “April 24-ish.” They both noticed Ethan pulling away, getting more distant, but they assumed it was normal. By January 2013, a few months before the crash, Ethan was living by himself or with his cousin at the Burleson house a few days a week. When he stayed there, the house was empty except for a bed, a couch, an Xbox, and a big-screen TV.

Edit: I read in one of those articles (or maybe it was another) that the sheetmetal company's estimated revenue was $15 million a year. Could probably be more or less. With about 40 full time employees. I'd say Fred was making at least 750K per year before taxes. Either way, he's rich by my standards, maybe not yours.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/12/30/us/affluenza-teen-ethan-couch-detained-in-mexico/
I think maybe not too many years unless they can bust him on some other charges?

Ethan Couch's juvenile offense was adjudicated under Determinate Sentencing. This gives the state the option to petition the juvenile court to transfer his case to the jurisdiction of the criminal district court (Big Boy adult court.)

The state has to file the petition in a timely manner prior to his 19th birthday, which is in April, 2016. Tarrant County did so prior to the surfacing of the beer pong video.

A determinate sentence transfer hearing is set for January 19.

If (when) his case is transferred to district criminal court, the remaining time left on his probated sentence is still in effect. He will be accountable for any future violations and subject to revocation that could result in much longer Big Boy prison time.

IMO, it was a strong likelihood from the beginning that his case would transfer to criminal district court; his recent actions have essentially guaranteed that a judge will grant the transfer motion.

No worries if he is not back in Texas by that date.

(Emphasis added)

Sec. 51.0412. JURISDICTION OVER INCOMPLETE PROCEEDINGS. The court retains jurisdiction over a person, without regard to the age of the person, who is a respondent in an adjudication proceeding, a disposition proceeding, a proceeding to modify disposition, a proceeding for waiver of jurisdiction and transfer to criminal court under Section 54.02(a), or a motion for transfer of determinate sentence probation to an appropriate district court if:

(1) the petition or motion was filed while the respondent was younger than 18 or 19 years of age, as applicable;

(2) the proceeding is not complete before the respondent becomes 18 or 19 years of age, as applicable; and

(3) the court enters a finding in the proceeding that the prosecuting attorney exercised due diligence in an attempt to complete the proceeding before the respondent became 18 or 19 years of age, as applicable.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/FA/htm/FA.51.htm

In other words, Ethan Couch cannot run out the clock by staying out of the United States unless he manages to do that forever.

The DA's office is looking at whether the transfer hearing can be held in absentia, but they told the Dallas Observer that the courts are more restrictive over absentia proceedings that fall under the jurisdiction of juvenile justice.

Rather than risk any reverals by a higher court on an absentia issue, I'd prefer they rely upon Sec. 51.0412 above and wait until he is eventually back in Texas to proceed with the transfer hearing. Just my lay opinion.

True that any violations of his probation prior to a transfer to district court are under the jurisdiction of the juvenile justice court and, as such, are limited as to how long he might have to serve for his latest shenanigans, but he is not in the clear for the future by any stretch.

We have continually read about Tonya's drinking and drugs. Of course, we have no verification of this, only what is reported.

Is there a way the DA can check this out for clarification and proof to present to the judge? Wonder if the ex would turn on her? Just a thought.

I have never read anything about psycho's mom drinking. Pills yes, drinking nope. Link?

Regarding the houses and property they own and live on.

Title of this article: Affluenza teen lived in his OWN mansion

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...iver-let-killing-crash-wild-parties-home.html

And from this article:

http://www.dmagazine.com/publicatio...a-the-worst-parents-ever-ethan-couch?single=1

Edit: I read in one of those articles (or maybe it was another) that the sheetmetal company's estimated revenue was $15 million a year. Could probably be more or less. With about 40 full time employees. I'd say Fred was making at least 750K per year before taxes. Either way, he's rich by my standards, maybe not yours.

Relatively speaking, a half-million dollar home in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex is not a "mansion" or even a "McMansion."

His father's home in Fort Worth has a higher market value than the Burleson property where Ethan was living alone for a time. I'd still be pressed to call his father's FW home a "McMansion" much less a mansion.

There's well-off, wealthy, and Texas Rich.

From what can be seen and known, I'd place them somewhere between well-off and wealthy. "Wealthy" wouldn't have been "running out of money."

Two weeks after the crash, in July 2013, Ethan was shipped off to a posh rehab facility in Newport, California, that offers equine therapy and cooking classes. When he checked in, he had a broken neck, a broken rib, and a broken arm. Every week, Fred and Tonya flew out, always first class, to see their son and to participate in group therapy. They didn’t miss a weekend. But after 62 days—against the advice of Dr. Miller and the people treating Ethan—Fred pulled his son out and brought him home. The rehab bill had run to $90,000.

“Quite frankly,” Fred testified, “I was running out of money.”

True they have way more money than most (certainly more than I do,) but I'm with those that think their financial status has been overstated in media quips.

Relatively speaking, a half-million dollar home in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex is not a "mansion" or even a "McMansion."

His father's home in Fort Worth has a higher market value than the Burleson property where Ethan was living alone for a time. I'd still be pressed to call his father's FW home a "McMansion" much less a mansion.

There's well-off, wealthy, and Texas Rich.

From what can be seen and known, I'd place them somewhere between well-off and wealthy. "Wealthy" wouldn't have been "running out of money."

True they have way more money than most (certainly more than I do,) but I'm with those that think their financial status has been overstated in media quips.

If there are running out of money, I presume because of all the lawsuits. There are 4 dead people and 2 injured people, one of whom is really in a vegetative state. Obviously the cost of the lawsuits would be in millions. In my book people who have millions to spare are rich. Most people don't have millions in their accounts, and are actually in debt.

If there are running out of money, I presume because of all the lawsuits. There are 4 dead people and 2 injured people, one of whom is really in a vegetative state. Obviously the cost of the lawsuits would be in millions. In my book people who have millions to spare are rich. Most people don't have millions in their accounts, and are actually in debt.

Do you know there have been lawsuits? I ask because I haven't heard anything about settlements or pending lawsuits.

Edited to add: I found this. One lawsuit has been settled, for a little over 2 million, in the case of the boy who rode in Ethan's truck payload area, which is illegal. Most of which will be paid by a liability insurer, apparently. So, if they're bankrupt after 90K in rehab services for Ethan and the remainder of the 2 million, "most" of which is paid by an insurer, I don't call them "wealthy" at all. By world standards, yes. But by US standards, upper middle class with issues.

Here is one case settled for 2 millions (and if you ask me that's pretty cheap for vegetative state).
http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/07/us/texas-affluenza-teen/

Yes, sorry, I edited my post upthread. They are only responsible for paying some of the settlement, most is being paid by an insurer.

When you look at civil lawsuits, you have to determine how much the plaintiff is responsible for his own injuries, and how much the defendant is responsible. My guess (just a guess) the boy's blood alcohol level revealed he too had been drinking, he willingly got in the bed of a truck (illegal) of a person he must have known full well was drunk, and in the wreck became horribly injured. He's not in the legal position of complete innocence that the people on the side of the road are in, and apparently as of yet they haven't sued. Ethan's fleeing the country and violating probation may change that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper