GUILTY TX - Ethan Couch 'Affluenza Teen' DUI driver who killed four gets probation, 2013 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as the courtroom is open to the public, as all but a few are, he has every right to be there, as any of us do, seems to me. His paralyzed brother does not have a dog in this particular race, AFAIK -- he will merely be any other spectator...

JMHO

I'm just afraid that EC's less than ethical attorneys JMO, may try to keep the comatose boy out of the court room claiming that it would be prejudicial to EC. God forbid that Ethan should be held accountable for his actions.:pullhair:

I wonder how the families of the victims who were struck by the side of the road feel about Ethan's friend who was so horribly injured taking victim status and representing the victims in this case? Sergio Molina's story is a cautionary tale - if you go to a teenage drinking party and drink, and willingly get in the back of a truck driven by one of the teenage partiers you know to be drunk, this awful tragedy of being paralyzed could happen to you. Sergio's story would make a very effective PSA and an education program for teenagers, because, "don't do this, kids. Don't do what he did, or this could happen to you, too".

The other victims, those by the side of the road, aren't a cautionary tale. They did nothing that they could have avoided to not become a victim of Ethan Couch.

I'm not sure I see the value of having another partier, who had the very bad luck of being seriously injured for his part in this fatal crash, in court.

Although obviously, as a young man whose life is now ruined is a very sad and tragic story.

I wonder how the families of the victims who were struck by the side of the road feel about Ethan's friend who was so horribly injured taking victim status and representing the victims in this case? Sergio Molina's story is a cautionary tale - if you go to a teenage drinking party and drink, and willingly get in the back of a truck driven by one of the teenage partiers you know to be drunk, this awful tragedy of being paralyzed could happen to you. Sergio's story would make a very effective PSA and an education program for teenagers, because, "don't do this, kids. Don't do what he did, or this could happen to you, too".

The other victims, those by the side of the road, aren't a cautionary tale. They did nothing that they could have avoided to not become a victim of Ethan Couch.

I'm not sure I see the value of having another partier, who had the very bad luck of being seriously injured for his part in this fatal crash, in court.

Although obviously, as a young man whose life is now ruined is a very sad and tragic story.

I suppose the feelings of the victim's families depend on each of the individuals. Personally I believe I would rather see my family killed outright than having to live in the condition of Sergio. He has no quality of life whatsoever. He has basically been reduced to a vegetative state. And, personally, I'm not really into blaming the victim. Sergio made a bad choice but IMO there is no way he should shoulder the blame. Ethan is the only one to blame.

I suppose the feelings of the victim's families depend on each of the individuals. Personally I believe I would rather see my family killed outright than having to live in the condition of Sergio. He has no quality of life whatsoever. He has basically been reduced to a vegetative state. And, personally, I'm not really into blaming the victim. Sergio made a bad choice but IMO there is no way he should shoulder the blame. Ethan is the only one to blame.

I certainly don't want to come off as heartless here, and the images of that young man are so tragic. His family is certainly suffering, maybe more than Sergio himself is suffering. And I agree, I think I'd rather have my child killed than live like Sergio is living.

And Sergio isn't responsible for what happened to the people on the side of the road, and their deaths. But he is at least in part responsible for his own injuries. And i think that's why his family received much less compensation than they expected - somewhere around 2.5 million where they expected a lot more. Because Sergio is responsible for what happened to him.

Not that you can place full blame on a teenager for making a very very foolish decision that many teens (even in this same truck) can make and get away unscathed.

In an earlier post, WS member asked when Tonya Couch would be back in court. No date was given, however in the article below, it said TC had to have a mental evaluation completed within 30 days. So we may have a month or more of waiting before the evaluation is completed and another court date is set.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/12/us/texas-affluenza-tonya-couch/

On Friday, Tarrant County Magistrate Judge Matt King ordered Tonya Couch to undergo a mental exam after the court found "reasonable cause" to believe that she suffers from "a mental illness or is a person with a mental retardation," according to court documents.

The judge's order was issued Friday and must be completed within 30 days.

The mental examination will determine whether there is clinical evidence to support the argument that Tonya Couch may be incompetent to stand trial.

I certainly don't want to come off as heartless here, and the images of that young man are so tragic. His family is certainly suffering, maybe more than Sergio himself is suffering. And I agree, I think I'd rather have my child killed than live like Sergio is living.

And Sergio isn't responsible for what happened to the people on the side of the road, and their deaths. But he is at least in part responsible for his own injuries. And i think that's why his family received much less compensation than they expected - somewhere around 2.5 million where they expected a lot more. Because Sergio is responsible for what happened to him.

Not that you can place full blame on a teenager for making a very very foolish decision that many teens (even in this same truck) can make and get away unscathed.

From what I can tell his actions did not endanger others, but I guess one could say that if he had refused to get into the truck that night because EC was drunk, other may have decided to do the same, but we will never know. In the end he and his family paid dearly for his poor decision that night. On the other hand EC seems to have escaped unharmed physically as well as legally, other than his parents shelling out a bunch of money. I also suspect based on his actions that this has not affected him much emotionally as well. I base this on how he has acted after the crash with things like attending the drinking party, fleeing to Mexico and fighting his deportations.

Many years ago when I was a young boy I overheard my aunt telling my mother about a coworker that had killed a girl while drunk driving. From what my aunt was saying, this woman had a completely different and much more natural reaction than what EC seems to be displaying. This woman was deeply depressed over what she had done and never seemed to want to do anything after the crash. When friends or relatives would try to encourage her to get out and do something, anything, she would refuse. She would say things like the person I killed , only she would use the girls name, can’t go to the movies, or go to a restaurant. I don’t know if the woman ever got over the fact that she killed someone, but to me this seems much more like the reaction a normal person would have.

From what I can tell his actions did not endanger others, but I guess one could say that if he had refused to get into the truck that night because EC was drunk, other may have decided to do the same, but we will never know. In the end he and his family paid dearly for his poor decision that night. On the other hand EC seems to have escaped unharmed physically as well as legally, other than his parents shelling out a bunch of money. I also suspect based on his actions that this has not affected him much emotionally as well. I base this on how he has acted after the crash with things like attending the drinking party, fleeing to Mexico and fighting his deportations.

I certainly agree that Sergio's actions didn't endanger others. That's not what the lawsuit his family filed against Ethan Couch was about. It was about the injuries Sergio himself sustained, and in fact, Sergio had a lot of power there to change the outcome. 1. by not attending a drinking party of teenagers and choose to drink himself, and 2. to not get into the open bed of a truck (illegal in itself for a juvenile) when he knew the driver to be intoxicated.

Many years ago when I was a young boy I overheard my aunt telling my mother about a coworker that had killed a girl while drunk driving. From what my aunt was saying, this woman had a completely different and much more natural reaction than what EC seems to be displaying. This woman was deeply depressed over what she had done and never seemed to want to do anything after the crash. When friends or relatives would try to encourage her to get out and do something, anything, she would refuse. She would say things like the person I killed , only she would use the girls name, can’t go to the movies, or go to a restaurant. I don’t know if the woman ever got over the fact that she killed someone, but to me this seems much more like the reaction a normal person would have.

I totally agree!! There have been many times when I've seen small children playing in or very near a busy street & it scares me to death. It would be so easy for one to dart out into the street & be hit by a car driven by a totally sober, responsible driver. True, the kid's parents are not doing their job but I don't think that fact would lessen the total & complete horror that the driver would feel.

I don't know what all her evaluation will include, but we've all heard people described as "has the mental capacity of a 12 year old". I think that's what they will find with her. The decision making and mental capacity of a 12 year old.
Yeah, but it's not because she is mentally incapable of understanding what's going on around her-nor is she stupid, she just doesn't care. She is a princess- they didn't turn the lights out in jail for her- BOO HOO!:violin::violin::violin::violin:

Yeah, but it's not because she is mentally incapable of understanding what's going on around her-nor is she stupid, she just doesn't care. She is a princess- they didn't turn the lights out in jail for her- BOO HOO!

Well, you can look on it as she purposely has ruined her own life and her son's life and by extension, many other people's through her poor decisions she's made all along, beginning in high school. It doesn't appear she's ever had a period in her life where she was in fact making good mature decisions, ever.

So you can decide she purposely has done that, or you can entertain the thought that maybe she's got an impairment of some kind.

I'm sorry, but there is NO WAY Tanya Couch is retarded. A selfish, greedy enabler, YES, but retarded- just NO!!!

Oh she's got mental problems alright. Not retarded..............just a psychopath.

Oh she's got mental problems alright. Not retarded..............just a psychopath.

Well, I think that might be reasonable. A Psychopath is an established diagnosable disorder, with accompanying disabilities that cause the behaviors. Children around the age of 4, who are normal, begin to realize that other people have other perspectives than their own. You may be hungry, while I am not. You may feel cold in the same room where I am warm, etc. There are kids who don't develop this- they literally lack the ability to understand that others have a different perspective. There are a lot of fascinating tests that show this - the "doll house" test, where the child is able to see what all is going on in all the rooms and is asked questions about things going on in the house from the perspective of the various dolls in various rooms. Kids who have this lack of perspective believe all the "dolls" should know what they the child knows - what the dolls who are in different rooms are doing, just because the kid knows. Kids who aren't psychopathic recognize that from each dolls perspective, they may or may not know what's going on in the rooms, depending on what they can see or hear. The psychopathic child can't grasp that everyone doesn't know and experience what they know and are experiencing. "If I eat all the donuts and you have none, that will leave you hungry" is something a child at risk for being a psychopath doesn't understand, literally.

So yes, maybe she might be diagnosed as a psychopath, I don't know. But "selfish greedy enabler" seems to indicate it's a choice, rather than a brain disability.

And the more we know, the more we know. People rarely choose to fail if they have the ability to succeed.

Well, you can look on it as she purposely has ruined her own life and her son's life and by extension, many other people's through her poor decisions she's made all along, beginning in high school. It doesn't appear she's ever had a period in her life where she was in fact making good mature decisions, ever.

So you can decide she purposely has done that, or you can entertain the thought that maybe she's got an impairment of some kind.

JMO, a person can have a high or average IQ & still have no common sense. Apparently common sense isn't one of her strengths.

Well, I think that might be reasonable. A Psychopath is an established diagnosable disorder, with accompanying disabilities that cause the behaviors. Children around the age of 4, who are normal, begin to realize that other people have other perspectives than their own. You may be hungry, while I am not. You may feel cold in the same room where I am warm, etc. There are kids who don't develop this- they literally lack the ability to understand that others have a different perspective. There are a lot of fascinating tests that show this - the "doll house" test, where the child is able to see what all is going on in all the rooms and is asked questions about things going on in the house from the perspective of the various dolls in various rooms. Kids who have this lack of perspective believe all the "dolls" should know what they the child knows - what the dolls who are in different rooms are doing, just because the kid knows. Kids who aren't psychopathic recognize that from each dolls perspective, they may or may not know what's going on in the rooms, depending on what they can see or hear. The psychopathic child can't grasp that everyone doesn't know and experience what they know and are experiencing. "If I eat all the donuts and you have none, that will leave you hungry" is something a child at risk for being a psychopath doesn't understand, literally.

So yes, maybe she might be diagnosed as a psychopath, I don't know. But "selfish greedy enabler" seems to indicate it's a choice, rather than a brain disability.

And the more we know, the more we know. People rarely choose to fail if they have the ability to succeed.

People self-destruct all the time. And I do think it's a choice in her case, just as she chose to marry Fred Couch for his money. She wasn't wealthy prior to marrying him that I am aware.
Now I will grant you that she and Ethan probably both have an addiction to alcohol- that is a disease.

Yeah, but it's not because she is mentally incapable of understanding what's going on around her-nor is she stupid, she just doesn't care. She is a princess- they didn't turn the lights out in jail for her- BOO HOO!:violin::violin::violin::violin:

I'm certainly not looking forward to the psychiatrist or psychologist hired by her high-priced attorneys coining a new phrase for her condition. A phrase that will get even more attention than "affluenza"! :gaah:

I'm certainly not looking forward to the psychiatrist or psychologist hired by her high-priced attorneys coining a new phrase for her condition. A phrase that will get even more attention than "affluenza"! :gaah:

Will the courts have their own testing done? I would think so as it appeared the Judge ordered it. However, after seeing a few other trials, like Arias, I would not be surprised if TC did not try to fake the end results, maybe coachef by herbteam in how to fake the answers. She knew right from wrong, she called FC and told him, she knew.

I thought we would have heard the judge's decision about EC's status by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColeTyler