GUILTY TX - Ethan Couch 'Affluenza Teen' DUI driver who killed four gets probation, 2013 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 night?

Ethan Couch spent more than $2,000 on strippers and alcohol at two Puerto Vallarta clubs – Prestige and Harem, the latter of which boasts on a sign outside its building of “Boobies & Booties Galore.” Couch spent hours inside Harem.

Ethan Couch maxed out his debit card and was so drunk that employees had to help him back to the hotel and forced Tonya to pay the remainder of Ethan’s two tabs.

Tonya was “furious” Ethan had spent so much money at the clubs.

http://www.fox4news.com/news/68773478-story

I think it was just one night. Ethan has probably built up a resistance to alcohol & it probably takes a lot to get him falling down drunk. We also don't know what kind of drugs he may have purchased. Somewhere in all the articles I've read it was stated that Ethan had hired 2 girls for the night. Sorry I can't provide a link. I should have flagged that article as soon as I read it.

but he was never even charged with anything to do with that. So it apparently does not count as a "prior"

That is not true at all. He plead no contest and was given probation. His probation wasn't even completed when he was driving drunk and killed four people.

"In March, Couch plead no contest in both cases. His mother paid $423 in court costs. As terms of his probation, her son agreed to take an alcohol awareness class and participate in 12 hours of community service, to be completed by June 19."

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/crime/2014/08/18/14030062/

Thanks. I missed seeing that article before.
This only makes the judge look even worse then. This wasn't his first offense on the record, he had an official prior yet she still only gave him 10 years probation.

The article mentions he was given probation for that in March and then the drunk driving incident occurred on June 15.
So was he also violating his probation then? Also I don't understand why he wasn't charged for being caught on camera as the getaway driver when his friends stole the alcohol that night.

1 night?

Ethan Couch spent more than $2,000 on strippers and alcohol at two Puerto Vallarta clubs – Prestige and Harem, the latter of which boasts on a sign outside its building of “Boobies & Booties Galore.” Couch spent hours inside Harem.

Ethan Couch maxed out his debit card and was so drunk that employees had to help him back to the hotel and forced Tonya to pay the remainder of Ethan’s two tabs.

Tonya was “furious” Ethan had spent so much money at the clubs.

http://www.fox4news.com/news/68773478-story

This just stuns me. She's furious about the money he spent, but not about where he was or what he was doing while fleeing Texas? Someone needs to keep her away from him, he's quite capable of getting in trouble on his own. It's apparent she allows him to do exactly as he pleases. Psycho Mommy and her baby boy are going to continue to drain Freddy's wallet. Shame on him if he allows it. IMO Anyone know if hearing will be televised or time?TIA

What I want to know is what where they thinking when they decided to flee to Mexico just cause he was caught laughing and clapping at a beer pong game ? I would think the act of fleeing and missing a probation officer meeting would be much more serious than just being filmed at a party ? If I had been his counsel I would have told him to get his litttle butt down to the probation office and tell them he was just visiting that party etc etc and then face whatever he has coming for that. This situation they are in now is so much more serious they both deserve prison just for being dumb.

I have read in a few articles (don't have any links handy but it's been mentioned on here somewhere in the first thread as well) saying that they had much more video footage then what was released to the public. So there was probably video of him drinking at the party as well. I don't know for sure obviously but why else would he run when it would be so easy for him to say that he wasn't drinking, he was just visiting friends.

edit: here is an article I just found. The person who posted the video on twitter said they do have more video of him.

The video, posted by Twitter user @BlondeSpectre, was tagged to the Twitter accounts of the Burleson Police Department and the Tarrant County District Attorney with the comment "ya boy ethan couch violating probation. i got more if u want."

"We were made aware of the video and along with the video the person had written they had additional video that they were willing to share," Samantha Jordan, a spokeswoman for the Tarrant County District Attorney, told ABC News.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/affluenza-teen-investigation-beer-pong-video-surfaces/story?id=35579306

I have read in a few articles (don't have any links handy but it's been mentioned on here somewhere in the first thread as well) saying that they had much more video footage then what was released to the public. So there was probably video of him drinking at the party as well. I don't know for sure obviously but why else would he run when it would be so easy for him to say that he wasn't drinking, he was just visiting friends.

ah ha ! that would make a lot of sense then, he's in more hot water than we were shown. Still the gun ? I read somewhere he admitted it was his and he is dang lucky he didnt get rolled at that bar. He didnt have the 2 grand to pay so that fact may have saved his life, they took him back to mommy to get paid. This kid just keeps getting all the breaks. Someday here real soon his luck will run out but still I can see him paying for favors in prison so he will never suffer like the other prisoners who do time.

This part of that article confuses me:

Couch’s probation terms stated he could not drive, drink alcohol or use drugs. Violating those terms could result in a jail sentence of up to 10 years, the Tarrant County District Attorney’s office said at the time.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/affluenza-teen-investigation-beer-pong-video-surfaces/story?id=35579306

So what changed? Why did the district attorney office say if he violated his probation he could face up to ten years in jail but now all of a sudden it's only that he could face up to 120 days??

What I want to know is what where they thinking when they decided to flee to Mexico just cause he was caught laughing and clapping at a beer pong game ? I would think the act of fleeing and missing a probation officer meeting would be much more serious than just being filmed at a party ? If I had been his counsel I would have told him to get his litttle butt down to the probation office and tell them he was just visiting that party etc etc and then face whatever he has coming for that. This situation they are in now is so much more serious they both deserve prison just for being dumb.

They may be dumb but it seems to work for them. They never suffer any consequences.

Thanks for the link.

From the link:

BBM

According to the link provided, in no way, shape, or form, is the Specter "program" (put into effect by US Congressional law, not Texas law, and not even limited to just Texas anyway) providing a "FREE 4 year ride to any state college of their choice, books and all" to violent offenders coming out of juvie in Texas. There is tuition assistance for some incarcerated prisoners WHILE serving their sentences, which, by the way, has been shown to reduce recidivism in these inmates after they are released into society.

That's a scary scenario. Peeps going in, as dumb as a rock, and coming out smarter that we are.

That's a scary scenario. Peeps going in, as dumb as a rock, and coming out smarter that we are.

Hey, speak for yourself. ;)

They don't get any smarter, just a tad more educated. And therefore potentially more employable in real jobs. As stated, research shows that education reduces recidivism.

In Florida, Specter funds were used to support a number of prison vocational programs, including web design courses at the Lawtey Correctional Institution and Hernando Correctional Institution; a culinary arts program at the Madison Correctional Institution; and a landscape irrigation course at the Suwannee Correctional Institution.

NCEA President Don Kiffin, who is in charge of education at a prison in Oklahoma, said his institution was down to its last semester of funding after losing $7,000 to $10,000 in annual Specter funds.

$7,000 to $10,000 annually isn't funding a whole lot of education. It's not like anyone's getting a Ph.D in prison in how to rip off the public through shady landscape irrigation or cooking schemes.

They may be dumb but it seems to work for them. They never suffer any consequences.

I'm hoping this time, the State of Texas is fed up enough of the "Affluenza"Teen and the 2 dummies unlawful fleeing and a lot of potential backlash if Tonya isn't harshly punished:jail:for this. According to her att. she can't wait to have her day in court, me either.

Thanks. I missed seeing that article before.
This only makes the judge look even worse then. This wasn't his first offense on the record, he had an official prior yet she still only gave him 10 years probation.

The article mentions he was given probation for that in March and then the drunk driving incident occurred on June 15.
So was he also violating his probation then? Also I don't understand why he wasn't charged for being caught on camera as the getaway driver when his friends stole the alcohol that night.
Yes, looks like he still was on probation for the previous alcohol consumption when he drunk again and killed four people. So judge's sentence doesn't make sense whatsoever.
I would really like to know what gives?

Does the law apply to them? They certainly seem to behave as if it doesn't. And so far no serous consequences. I don't have any doubt poor guy would have gotten a serious prison sentence for killing four people while driving drunk. But Ethan got "affluenza" so no serious consequences for him.

Hey, speak for yourself. ;)

They don't get any smarter, just a tad more educated. And therefore potentially more employable in real jobs. As stated, research shows that education reduces recidivism.

$7,000 to $10,000 annually isn't funding a whole lot of education. It's not like anyone's getting a Ph.D in prison in how to rip of the public through shady landscape irrigation or cooking schemes.

COOKING SCHEMES

hah_zpsqk0z0cgi.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members