TX - Five dead, including 8 yr old, in Cleveland home, suspect armed with AR-15 style rifle, active investigation, 28 Apr 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
From the updated NYT article linked above:

The suspect, Francisco Oropesa, was “caught hiding in a closet underneath some laundry” in a home a few miles from the site of the Friday shooting in San Jacinto County, said Greg Capers, the county sheriff.

BTW Cut and Shoot is still a very old school town. It’s small. Still very country. I’ve partied with many a cow around a bonfire out in that area back in my high school days. I grew up in Montgomery County so I’m giving LE a little more grace bc I know how crazy this county is and LE have their hands full pretty much 24/7. They should not have taken that long to respond but I also understand they were probably dealing multiple DWI’s etc.

Several more people taken into custody, I presume for helping him hide.

"COLDSPRING, Texas — Authorities took several other people into custody when they arrested the man accused of killing five of his neighbors near Cleveland, Texas last week, according to the San Jacinto Couty Sheriff's Office."

Apparently hiding in his relative's house.

He didn't get very far, fortunately. He was only 20 minutes away. While these seem like towns, the area is densely populated. Very little distance between the towns and cities, right on the edge of suburban sprawl. So, there were a lot of people in danger when he was roaming around there on his own.

While these seem like towns, the area is densely populated. Very little distance between the towns and cities, right on the edge of suburban sprawl.
You are right regarding all of the above.

But.... once you get into the forests, one can be a twenty minute drive from the outer fringe of the Houston megalopolis, yet that same megalopolis might as well be on the other side of the moon.

Its possible to walk for miles through the forests and not see another person. When its not hunting season, even the handful of "deep east Texas" country born 'n bred locals who actually like going into the forests stick to the easy berry collecting and fishing areas. There are just too many thorns and thickets to waste effort going elsewhere.

I have always enjoyed the irony of meeting extended family members at a crowded megalopolis chain restaurant surrounded by scores of people. Yet 35 minutes earlier, I was walking down an overgrown logging road and was totally alone- except for scores of creepy crawlies.

Last edited:
Several more people taken into custody, I presume for helping him hide.

"COLDSPRING, Texas — Authorities took several other people into custody when they arrested the man accused of killing five of his neighbors near Cleveland, Texas last week, according to the San Jacinto Couty Sheriff's Office."

Wow! $100,000 reward worked! Awesome.

Wife was trying to get him to Mexico.
"She said she went to get food for him in the morning and also delivered a message to his cousins asking for help getting him to Mexico. The family member said they wouldn't help."

The repeatedly deported Mexican fugitive sought in an wide-ranging manhunt for massacring a family of five Hondurans next door, in the nation’s largest illegal immigrant community, maintained an elaborate “Santa Muerte death cult”shrine in the master bedroom whose candles were still burning Monday, according to a law enforcement officer who saw it.

The shrine of multiple statues reflecting various patron saints, one of them four feet tall and a half dozen smaller ones was replete with a stack of $2 bills, freshly cut flowers, and tinfoil filled with what appeared to be a drug as offerings to ostensibly protect Francisco Oropesa (sometimes spelled Oropeza), the suspected murderer. Two tall candles depicting various muerte cult “saints” were still burning two days after the killings, the law enforcement officer said. The shrine was arrayed in the bedroom around a double-stack glass shelving piece, the source said.

Santa Muerte adherents throughout Mexico, where the cult blossomed among drug trafficking cartel syndicates in recent decades and also the non-cartel criminal underworld, believe prayers and offerings to Santa Muerte (the Saint of Death) as well as other saints, idols, and figurines, protect drug loads and stave off arrest for their criminality. Some have taken on the symbols of the cult for social and cultural reasons. One of Oropesa’s tattoos features the iconic Santa Muerte figure, a skeletal figure draped in robes and holding a sickle.

While the implications of a serious shrine in a private bedroom of Oropesa’s Cleveland, Texas, area home should not be construed as definitive proof of his criminality, experts say its presence there and in a tattoo on his arm does strongly indicate that Oropesa was involved in at least semi-organized criminal activity and that he would have access to an underworld network that could hide and move him into Mexico.

“Anyone who has a Santa Muerta shrine is linked to the criminal underworld,” said retired Texas Department of Public Safety Captain Jaeson Jones, who worked for years on intelligence to counter Mexico’s drug cartels. “It doesn’t necessarily mean they’re connected to the cartels, even though the cartels all over Mexico follow the cult. But you can at least link him to the criminal underground through Santa Muerta.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3
Back