TX - Five Yates children drowned, Houston, 20 June 2001 *Insanity*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IdahoMom said:
Every time I see her darling children, it breaks my heart.

I know. I had dreams about those children for a very long time. I could not get them out of my mind. Saddest case I've ever seen. :(

Only4Justice said:
I know. I had dreams about those children for a very long time. I could not get them out of my mind. Saddest case I've ever seen. :(
I agree. It's hard to look at the faces of her kids, knowing what they went through. Especially her son she chased through the house. :( :mad:

IdahoMom said:
I realize she was very sick, but she has no place in our society- sorry, but her crime cancels her right to that.
It was especially heartbreaking to hear that her kids were afraid of her. :(

I disagree with the bolded statement (politely, of course). I fully believe that had she had the proper medical treatment, these crimes would have never happened. That's the heartbreaking point for me. When Rusty saw her slipping, he should have been more involved in getting her the help she needed. How he could let her go weeks without bathing - that is just plain disgusting. How can she possibly be left alone to care for 5 kids when she couldn't take care of herself? It was also reported that she didn't speak and rarely ate. Just how was she communicating with her kids? Did she ever feed them when she was alone with them?

As I said, had she had the correct medical treatment, I believe those kids would be alive today. The fact that they are dead, I blame on her husband.

Jules said:
I disagree with the bolded statement (politely, of course). I fully believe that had she had the proper medical treatment, these crimes would have never happened. That's the heartbreaking point for me. When Rusty saw her slipping, he should have been more involved in getting her the help she needed. How he could let her go weeks without bathing - that is just plain disgusting. How can she possibly be left alone to care for 5 kids when she couldn't take care of herself? It was also reported that she didn't speak and rarely ate. Just how was she communicating with her kids? Did she ever feed them when she was alone with them?

As I said, had she had the correct medical treatment, I believe those kids would be alive today. The fact that they are dead, I blame on her husband.
First of all- Jules- I love you like a sister. We need to agree to disagree on this case. :):angel:
But, what's done cannot be undone. Do you think she should be released eventually into society? In that event- what happens if she goes off her meds again?

Jules said:
I think they will put her through a new trial for the reason above. So that they can move her elsewhere.

IMO - I don't believe she should be in prison. She is sick and in need of help. She will not receive the type of help she needs being in prison. My heart breaks for her and her kids and what they all went through and continue to go through.

The one I do believe should be sitting in jail is her azz of a husband, Rusty. :furious:

Her conviction was overturned. Unless and until the prosecutor decides they WANT a new trial, she can be moved anywhere they agree she can be moved to.

It really is a sad case all the way around. I still remember her talking about the older son running from her once he figured out what she was doing. She is mentally ill and she should be in a mental hospital but evaluated every six months.

Jeana (DP) said:
Her conviction was overturned. Unless and until the prosecutor decides they WANT a new trial, she can be moved anywhere they agree she can be moved to.

HOUSTON, Texas (AP) -- Texas' highest criminal court on Wednesday let stand a lower court ruling that threw out Andrea Yates' murder convictions for drowning her children in a bathtub in June 2001.

Harris County Assistant District Attorney Alan Curry said the case would be retried or a plea bargain considered.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/11/09/yates.newtrial.ap/index.html

IdahoMom said:
First of all- Jules- I love you like a sister. We need to agree to disagree on this case. :):angel:
But, what's done cannot be undone. Do you think she should be released eventually into society? In that event- what happens if she goes off her meds again?

No, I don't think she should be released back into society. I do believe she should be in a treatment facility never to be let out - but not in prison.

And I love you too! :blowkiss:

Count me in as another who initially was appalled by Andrea. But as the full story was revealed I began to feel very badly for her. It's a tragic story all the way around. I don't believe that Andrea will ever be able to function in the free world again-but rather than being locked up in a prison I think a hospital setting would be more beneficial to her, as from what I've read, she goes into deep episodes of depression etc and goes in and out of phases of reality. When Rusty told her he was divorcing her she stopped eating and they had to hospitalize her for days to tube-feed her. I have followed this case from day one and this case really pulls at my heart strings big time. I hope she is given a new trial and placed in a hospital. And I REALLY hope Rusty doesn't jump from talk show to talk show to talk show once a new verdict is in like he did the last time. I'm of the opinion he too should have been brought up on charges-don't care for him AT ALL.

Jules said:
HOUSTON, Texas (AP) -- Texas' highest criminal court on Wednesday let stand a lower court ruling that threw out Andrea Yates' murder convictions for drowning her children in a bathtub in June 2001.

Harris County Assistant District Attorney Alan Curry said the case would be retried or a plea bargain considered.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/11/09/yates.newtrial.ap/index.html

Darlin, I'm not sure if we're disagreeing or not. LOL The district attorney has to decide it wants to retry her. My feeling is that her attorney will work out an agreement with the prosecutors whereby she would be committed to a psychiatric hospital for probably the rest of her life. While she's been in "prison" since her conviction, she's been in a "psychiatric hospital" in the prison for almost 100% of her time there because she's psychotic to the point of not being able to speak. If the prosecutor decides they want to retry her, what they'd essentially be doing is waiting until she's declared competent to even stand trial for a second time and then whether she's declared not guilty by reason of mental illness or she's convicted and sentenced to life in prison, she'll end up . . . guess where . . . in the same psychiatric hospital she's in now or the one they'll agree to move her to. SO, the State can spend hundreds of thousands more of its dollars to do absolutely nothing but keep her where she is, or they can just agree that its ridiculous to do so and come up with some sort of agreement on the constraints of her hospitalization.

IdahoMom said:
I agree. It's hard to look at the faces of her kids, knowing what they went through. Especially her son she chased through the house. :( :mad:

I know. He was 7 years old. He definitely knew what was happening. And, his name was Noah, the name of one of my dear sons. So very very sad. :(

Jeana (DP) said:
Darlin, I'm not sure if we're disagreeing or not. LOL The district attorney has to decide it wants to retry her. My feeling is that her attorney will work out an agreement with the prosecutors whereby she would be committed to a psychiatric hospital for probably the rest of her life. While she's been in "prison" since her conviction, she's been in a "psychiatric hospital" in the prison for almost 100% of her time there because she's psychotic to the point of not being able to speak. If the prosecutor decides they want to retry her, what they'd essentially be doing is waiting until she's declared competent to even stand trial for a second time and then whether she's declared not guilty by reason of mental illness or she's convicted and sentenced to life in prison, she'll end up . . . guess where . . . in the same psychiatric hospital she's in now or the one they'll agree to move her to. SO, the State can spend hundreds of thousands more of its dollars to do absolutely nothing but keep her where she is, or they can just agree that its ridiculous to do so and come up with some sort of agreement on the constraints of her hospitalization.

This makes great sense, thanks for clarifying. Would Andrea even be mentally strong enough to endure another trial? I'm not thinking so. Her attorney seems to genuinely care about her-hopefully he can come to some agreement with the prosecutor and get her where she needs to be with the least amount of stress possible on her.

Jeana (DP) said:

Heehee! No, we're not disagreeing. I just hope they offer her a plea and put her in a hospital somewhere where she will continue to get the help she needs - not in a prison psychiatric hospital. My guess is there are far better places out there than where she is. That was my point... ;)

Jules said:
Heehee! No, we're not disagreeing. I just hope they offer her a plea and put her in a hospital somewhere where she will continue to get the help she needs - not in a prison psychiatric hospital. My guess is there are far better places out there than where she is. That was my point... ;)

This is true. I remember when she was convicted and sentenced, it was said that she would not get the care she needed in a prison hospital. She needs the care she could receive in a mental hospital.

I can't imagine she will ever be free again, and I hope not.

As someone mentioned above, this senseless tragedy could have been avoided, if only the people around her (particularly her so-called husband), would have gotten her the proper treatment and quit getting her pregnant! I don't understand and I never will, how he could leave her alone with those children day after day when she was in the shape she was in!

Rusty definitely bears alot of responsibility in this tragedy, but ultimately Andrea committed the crime.

IMO

Jules said:

LOL To tell you the truth, I'm not sure which hospital would be better. "State run psychiatric hospital," to me, sounds like hell on earth. I get the feeling that her attorney wasn't all that unhappy about the way she's been treated at the prison hospital. I seem to recall hearing someone on her team say that she's better off there - at least for now. I guess we'll hear more about all of this in the weeks to come. If the prosecutor does decide to retry her, I for one, will be sending a pretty strongly worded letter to them. My tax dollars can be used for better things, IMO.

I feel that Rusty had a lot responsibility in all of this, but I've always wondered why her doctors were not more responsible. Not just for her own wellbeing, but for the kids' as well. They KNEW her situation at home and put her children, in my opinion, in harm's way. I'd like to see children protected more at that level.

Only4Justice said:
As someone mentioned above, this senseless tragedy could have been avoided, if only the people around her (particularly her so-called husband), would have gotten her the proper treatment and quit getting her pregnant! I don't understand and I never will, how he could leave her alone with those children day after day when she was in the shape she was in!

IMO
The sad thing is, she said in her recorded police interview, she was planning to do this for some time before...she just waited until Rusty and his Mom (?) were both gone. (sorry-but I can't emember if it was Rusty's Mom or her Mom that had been staying at the house)

She should be incarcerated in some capacity for the rest of her life (and, yes, a mental facility would be best):

Andrea, about Noah's last moments, from CourtTV:

http://www.crimelibrary.com/notorious_murders/women/andrea_yates/2.html

When Andrea was finished with Mary, she left her floating in the water and called to her oldest son, Noah.
He came right away. "What happened to Mary?" he asked. Then apparently realizing what his mother was doing, he ran from the bathroom but Andrea chased him down and dragged him back to the tub. She forced him in face down and drowned him right next to Mary. She admitted in her confession that he had put up the biggest struggle of all. At times he managed to slip from her grasp and get some air, but she always managed to push him back down. His last words were, "I'm sorry." She left him there floating in a tub full of feces, urine and vomit, where police found him.

Jeana (DP) said:
Andrea's conviction was actually overturned in January. At the time, her attorney said he wouldn't seek her release from the prison psychiatric hospital because he was concerned about her mental state at the time. Since that time her husband divorced her, making her mental state even more fragile. I don't believe that they will put her through a new trial, but they may, at some point, try to move her from the prison hospital to a hospital outside of the prison.
I believe removing her from a prison hospital and into a psy. hospital is the right decision. I hope that is what Texas decides to do. I believe that is what her family wants also. Everyone in her family knows she needs serious help. Rusty deserves to take her place in prison. That B@stard is slime!:slap:

I'm very thankful that she's getting a new trial. NOTHING excuses killing children EVER and she needs to be locked up for eternity HOWEVER she needs to be in a mental facility as I truly believe she cracked.

I also think her EX husband that LOVES AND ADORES HER AND WOULD STAND BY HER needs his hiney in jail too. He's just as culpable IF NOT MORE!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ioprgee