TX - Five Yates children drowned, Houston, 20 June 2001 *Insanity*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing that photo of Andrea is just heartbreaking. I too agree that Rusty is partially responsible. He was told and chose to not heed the warning. A blind man could see the path his poor wife was taking and he ignored it. Book smart-total idiot.

It is hard for me to wish him happiness.

This is why a measure of the responsibility falls on the care-giver adult, in this case, Rusty Yates. I agree that she is responsible for her crimes. She should never be allowed to leave prison or whatever institution she is in. I agree 100% in her guilt and culpability for her crimes. I also fully believe she is mentally ill, otherwise I'd be screaming for the DP.

BUT...

He knew of the problem.

His actions/beliefs/inactions contributed to and exacerbated her illness.

And worst of all:
He left her alone with the children, knowing her condition.

He should have been charged as well.

Very well said, I agree with you that he knew of the problem. IMO, it should have been obvious from the condition she was in, not being able to care for herself, surely he could see how much she had deteriorated. He should have shared some of the blame.

I guess I hope that they will have some sort of a normal life because of the innocent child that is now involved. I do hope that Rusty has some sort of personal hell going on in his head though. As I said before, I hope he has trouble sleeping at night. I do hope his second wife is treated much better than his first wife. He is a cad IMO.

http://crime.about.com/od/current/p/andreayates.htm

Their Living Conditions: Rusty accepted work in Florida in 1996 and the family moved into a 38-foot travel trailer in Seminole, FL While in Florida, Andrea got pregnant, but miscarried. In 1997 they returned to Houston and lived in their trailer because Rusty wanted to "live light." The next year. Rusty decided to purchase a 350-square-foot, renovated bus which became their permanent home. Luke was born bringing the number of children to four. Living conditions were cramped and Andrea's insanity began to surface.

More at link.......those interested in the details can refresh their memory of some of the details here.

how anyone can read that and not agree he should be in prison, is beyond me-
thanks for the link dean:blowkiss:

how anyone can read that and not agree he should be in prison, is beyond me-
thanks for the link dean:blowkiss:
You are welcome dear friend. Didn't you get a lump in your throat reading that link? It makes me sad inside. :( I also feel so very sorry for Rusty's mother. She has terrible guilt. Life should have been different for this family. So sad.:(

My problem with Rusty is he did not hold himself to the same standards that he did Andrea....When she needed help and mercy, relieved of the burden of the endless childbearing, homeschooling, etc, there was no mercy to be had...When he decided to abandon his marriage vows (in sickness and in health), divorce and remarry, he went and found a church that would accept that instead of holding to the conservative values he had previously embraced.

You are welcome dear friend. Didn't you get a lump in your throat reading that link? It makes me sad inside. :( I also feel so very sorry for Rusty's mother. She has terrible guilt. Life should have been different for this family. So sad.:(

What a tragic story, she had so much promise, validictorian, honor student, nurse. I had never seen before, she was beautiful too. And to think of those poor children. This is the first time I have read that her father died shortly before the tragedy. Grief by itself can cause people to "lose it" I know that I told my husband he needed to treat me like he would treat a child for a few months after my father died after I had been his primary caregiver. I could not think straight at all, and I do not have documented mental illness. I think the fact that Rusty left for work prior to his mom's arrival is one of the saddest parts of this incredibly sad story. I feel so sorry for the guilt she feels, but in truth, if he had just waited for her to arrive... Thanks for sharing more of the background on this.

When she needed help and mercy, relieved of the burden of the endless childbearing, homeschooling, etc, there was no mercy to be had...When he decided to abandon his marriage vows (in sickness and in health), divorce and remarry, he went and found a church that would accept that instead of holding to the conservative values he had previously embraced.[/QUOTE]

I did not know this, what a hypocrite. Just makes me dislike him even more if that is possible!!!:furious:

how horrible for his mom- I dont find her one tiny tiny bit at all guilty- I just cant believe they were lviing like that- how very very tragic this whole mess is-it made me sick to read it and "hear" it again-

Hey guys, what am I doing wrong that you all's quotes are not coming up in blue when I respond? Just started posting again in past few weeks, seems I have forgotten how. Thanks, Boo

What a tragic story, she had so much promise, validictorian, honor student, nurse. I had never seen before, she was beautiful too. And to think of those poor children. This is the first time I have read that her father died shortly before the tragedy. Grief by itself can cause people to "lose it" I know that I told my husband he needed to treat me like he would treat a child for a few months after my father died after I had been his primary caregiver. I could not think straight at all, and I do not have documented mental illness. I think the fact that Rusty left for work prior to his mom's arrival is one of the saddest parts of this incredibly sad story. I feel so sorry for the guilt she feels, but in truth, if he had just waited for her to arrive... Thanks for sharing more of the background on this.

I so agree, Boo. Grief is so much harder than I ever knew. Losing someone close to me in Dec. has fogged my brain and affected me so much. I am sane but a different person and more vulnerable emotionally and physically.

I did not know all that about Andrea. That is so horrible. I can now say I loathe her husband and what he stood for - whatever that was!:furious:

Eve

I can't read the links (raises my blood pressure instantly), but I remember seeing the photo of the bus. It was burned into my brain. When I think back, it stands out besides the children's photos. That was a huge turning point for me about Rusty.

For him to have another child burns me up. I feel so sorry for his child when he is grown and has to face the facts of what his father did to his half-siblings. What a legacy to pass on, Rusty!

Yes I am, do you think I have somehow turned this off?:confused:

Well the plot thickens, I am on my desktop now and it is working, have been posting on my laptop, it has Vista instead of XP (which I hate) wonder if that has something to do with it?

I'm not sure. Let me check on my control panel and see if there is something that needs to be turned on. BRB

Just read your post above. I have Vista on my laptop at home - never had a problem. :confused:

In any event, it seems to be working now. :blowkiss:

When she needed help and mercy, relieved of the burden of the endless childbearing, homeschooling, etc, there was no mercy to be had...When he decided to abandon his marriage vows (in sickness and in health), divorce and remarry, he went and found a church that would accept that instead of holding to the conservative values he had previously embraced.

I did not know this, what a hypocrite. Just makes me dislike him even more if that is possible!!!:furious:[/QUOTE]

Boo, this is my opinion only...I do not have any special facts on the case...The church he's attending is the one that embraced him after the murders....I wish Andrea could experience the same grace that he is receiving.

The church he's attending is the one that embraced him after the murders.....

You're correct on that. As Rusty and Andrea hadn't attended a church in the area, this one opened their doors and hearts to Rusty right after that horrible day, it is where the children's funeral was held and he has stayed there.

The district attorneys office thought so as well. However, they just couldn't by law get enough on him to charge him with anything. :mad:

I didn't know this. Too bad charges could not be brought against him.
I feel like he just drove Andrea completely over the edge. He demanded too much from her, expected it, dictated a very unstable life in which to raise children, and he had to have known how 'fragile' she was mentally.

Their bizarre life together, becoming "gypsy holy rollers" and living in a bus! That all sounds so crazy to me! I think any of us could snap under such circumstances, not to the extenet that Andrea did, but it wouldn't be a pleasant life enduring such an existence.

Then seeing photos of Rusty and his new wife, all dressed up and getting into a little red sports car. That's quite a contrast.

This was a horrible sickening crime that Andrea commited, one of the most upsetting ones I can remember, but I also think that some of the things that Andrea endured during the marriage to Rusty was also a crime. And Rusty instilled alot of the crazy notions into Andrea's head!

Just my :twocents: !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members