TX - Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger, indicted for Murder of Botham Shem Jean #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
what would be her motive for going to some random guy's apt. and murdering him?
I still thing the Mary Jane was hers , everything else they mentioned was in the backpack she dropped , I think she was under the influence couple that after a 13 hour shift and BAM!! you don' t even notice the red carpet beneath your feet , so I don't think "murder " as in she was going after him , I think "Murder " because it was totally HER mistake and she took it way to far.

what would be her motive for going to some random guy's apt. and murdering him?

I can think of a lot of reasons. (I also don't think it was random.)

I still expect to see a plea deal here, but we'll find out motive if it goes to trial. Now, they don't HAVE to prove motive, to secure a conviction. Juries just like to hear it and it's much harder without motive. Also, she didn't have to decide to go there with the purpose of murdering him, for it to still be murder. Premeditation can take a matter of seconds.

I still expect to see a plea deal here, but we'll find out motive if it goes to trial. Now, they don't HAVE to prove motive, to secure a conviction. Juries just like to hear it and it's much harder without motive. Also, she didn't have to decide to go there with the purpose of murdering him, for it to still be murder. Premeditation can take a matter of seconds.

I think that they will string this out forever, with motions, hearings, whatever...and go for a plea when things are almost forgotten.

How do they have over 300 witnesses?

If I was on the jury, I would vote manslaughter.

I do not think a murder charge is going to stick.

Jmo

I think in order for the DA to get a murder conviction of any kind they are going to have to come up with a valid motive. I don't think any jury is going to find murder in this case without one. Otherwise, a jury is going to go right back to that manslaughter charge. I do think there must be something else going on here. Her story (as reported) just doesn't make sense. Since the DA went for, and obtained, a murder indictment, I am assuming they must have some sort of motive theory. At least I hope they do, and didn't seek this charge just to placate the victim's family.

Jmo

They could have called people from her last incident. Co-workers, superiors, witnesses to movements during that day, residents in her apartment building, surveillance camera owners, surveillance camera companies, family members and friends of both parties, investigators, forensic investigators, crime scene, first responders, hospital workers, ballistics experts, etc. It really adds up very quickly.

Jmo

I don't know that the jury is given that option. In the presser it was stated that the manslaughter charge was "no billed" and only the murder indictment was brought forward.

I think in order for the DA to get a murder conviction of any kind they are going to have to come up with a valid motive. I don't think any jury is going to find murder in this case without one. Otherwise, a jury is going to go right back to that manslaughter charge. I do think there must be something else going on here. Her story (as reported) just doesn't make sense. Since the DA went for, and obtained, a murder indictment, I am assuming they must have some sort of motive theory. At least I hope they do, and didn't seek this charge just to placate the victim's family.

I agree. I think they always know they have to show motive. I was just pointing out that it's not a legal requirement for a murder charge and conviction.

I agree. I think they always know they have to show motive. I was just pointing out that it's not a legal requirement for a murder charge and conviction.
That is correct, its not a requirement. But in a case like this, from a practical stand point, it pretty much is going to be. If I am the defense attorney, I would be very happy if there is no additional lesser included charge of manslaughter.

That is correct, its not a requirement. But in a case like this, from a practical stand point, it pretty much is going to be. If I am the defense attorney, I would be very happy if there is no additional lesser included charge of manslaughter.

Can't they add lesser included charges before the trial? It would make no sense to only include murder, unless they are purposefully trying not to secure a conviction. (As a longtime Dallas resident, I wouldn't be colored shocked.) They have to know murder is going to be a hard get.

I am a little baffled not to see manslaughter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ezinu