TX - Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger, indicted for Murder of Botham Shem Jean #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone from apartment management testified she didn't work for them. At least I'm pretty sure that's what I heard. And if that was the case, we would have heard about it from the defense at the get go.
I believe she worked for the previous complex where she previously resided. imojmo

I'm not so sure. Is that what the prosecution said in court today?

JMO, the blood pool indicates the poor man was just getting up from the sofa when he was shot. It was right next to his sofa. I saw a few pairs of shoes scattered around the apartment, but none near the couch.

I suppose another gunshot shot went wild, hence the bullet hole high up on the living room wall.
No, it was the defense (opening statement I believe), they said we would see where his flip flops were and it would show he was approaching AG rapidly, or something. The State maintains he was just sitting on the sofa and possibly went to stand up to see what was going on. I agree with the State especially after the photos.

Maybe she subjectively perceived that, but would an objective reasonable person?
This is where I have trouble. I don't know how to answer.
Several people have admitted to making the same mistake about being on wrong floor and wrong door. Of the people that have, none of them were law enforcement and weren't carrying.

LE have different and somewhat more difficult daily experiences than laypeople. That is no excuse for this. But I wonder if her experiences contributed to her reactions.

I've been impressed by these witnesses so far. The police officers all seem very professional, the Texas Ranger absolutely what you'd expect, and the young neighbors thrown into a nightmare situation. My goodness.

Judging from the location of the blood stain, it would appear he did take a step or two. The blood stain is adjacent to the arm of the sofa. If he were seated, then stood up and got shot, I'd expect the blood stain to be towards the center of the sofa, if not closer to the window. I've tried in a very amateurish way to draw that here, the blue circle showing the general area of the blood stain.

Ignore the dining table as in this Southside Flats brochure photo, he didn't have one. If he were "charging" her, he had a long ways to go to go across the room and around the kitchen counter. More likely, he stood up took a step or two as he was saying and/or thinking "what the f*?" Which is IMO the natural reaction one would have to someone barging in their apartment.

From video and LE witnesses today, they established that Jean was most likely sitting on the center cushion of the sofa. There was a pillow on the far end and a blanket on the near end. There was only one open wound, in his upper left chest. So it seems most likely he fell there at the end of the sofa. Seems very unlikely he had time to take more than a step towards her.

The prosecution also noted that, when approaching the apartment with guns drawn, none of the other officers shot at anyone in the apartment or building. They had no idea what kind of situation they were getting into, but they were able to assess the situation and hold their fire.

From video and LE witnesses today, they established that Jean was most likely sitting on the center cushion of the sofa. There was a pillow on the far end and a blanket on the near end. There was only one open wound, in his upper left chest. So it seems most likely he fell there at the end of the sofa. Seems very unlikely he had time to take more than a step towards her.

The prosecution also noted that, when approaching the apartment with guns drawn, none of the other officers shot at anyone in the apartment or building. They had no idea what kind of situation they were getting into, but they were able to assess the situation and hold their fire.
Interesting.
ETA thanks for the info. I'm going to have another look!

Interesting. So do I have his head oriented in the correct position e.g. towards the window? Maybe I have it wrong. If his head is towards the kitchen, then it's possible he just stood up, got shot, and fell in order for the blood stain to be by the arm of the sofa that is closest to the kitchen.

I'm not sure, we'll probably hear more. In the video of the officer giving chest compressions, he was pushing in a way that looked like Jean was laying with his head towards the red end table. The officer could have moved him some, though to better do the compressions. IDK

Just catching up after work today, I must say I’m so glad some of you aren’t on the jury. Geez. At the end of the day, SHE WALKED in HIS APARTMENT. Why are we forgetting this? Mistake yes. Mistake that could have been avoided. Absolutely yes. End of story.

I know some may think I am not fair about this and I would like to say, I absolutely have tried to be fair. But after some of the evidence I’ve seen so far, I’m pretty convinced I’ve seen what I’ve need to see.

I just have to say this .. She’s actually lucky that Botham didn’t blast her in her chest. I dare someone to walk into my apartment but even then I’d probably been more reasonable than she was and actually look before I shoot.

I know I’m about to get cussed out,I know but today’s testimony put me over the edge. Mistake is a mistake. Avoidable? Yes. She needs to pay for her mistake like everyone else in this country would have to.

I always lock the front door, even when I'm home.
But it's still your castle, and no one gets to walk in, shoot you, and then delay getting you emergency care. Not without consequences.

Just imagine if the opposite had happened. Would people really be so understanding if a man had done that to a woman? Or if an armed civilian had done that to an officer who was just relaxing in his or her own home?

Last edited:
Just catching up after work today, I must say I’m so glad some of you aren’t on the jury. Geez. At the end of the day, SHE WALKED in HIS APARTMENT. Why are we forgetting this? Mistake yes. Mistake that could have been avoided. Absolutely yes. End of story.

I know some may think I am not fair about this and I would like to say, I absolutely have tried to be fair. But after some of the evidence I’ve seen so far, I’m pretty convinced I’ve seen what I’ve need to see.

I just have to say this .. She’s actually lucky that Botham didn’t blast her in her chest. I dare someone to walk into my apartment but even then I’d probably been more reasonable than she was and actually look before I shoot.

I know I’m about to get cussed out,I know but today’s testimony put me over the edge. Mistake is a mistake. Avoidable? Yes. She needs to pay for her mistake like everyone else in this country would have to.

No cussing from me. I totally agree. I want to know about her tox screens, and if nothing was performed, I want to know why. The mugshot does not scream "healthy and sober" to me.

I'm not sure, we'll probably hear more. In the video of the officer giving chest compressions, he was pushing in a way that looked like Jean was laying with his head towards the red end table. The officer could have moved him some, though to better do the compressions. IDK

They did say things were moved slightly for life saving efforts.

You can count on it. And if she does, I hope the prosecutor asks her "Are you crying because you shot him or because you lost your job over this?"

If the prosecutor did that we'd likely have a mistrial. It's already been determined that her employment status won't be brought up during the trial. I presume that's to avoid giving the impression that she was fired so she must be guilty. Either way, it can't be brought up.

She will not get off scot-free, but she may not be dealt with as harshly as many would like. That she killed an innocent man cannot be denied. Her being tired will not excuse her reckless and careless actions.

so, as long as you're doing something illegal in YOUR apartment, no problems? mmmm…..

Yes. Because without a warrant the cops can't come in!
There is a reason that smoking weed isn't a death penalty offense.

It isn't justification to break and enter and kill a man.
He smoked weed to treat a medical condition rather than take prescription meds. Many people do that. He was a successful young man so obviously it was working.

so, as long as you're doing something illegal in YOUR apartment, no problems? mmmm…..

Sure. He wasn't a threat to her. And weed doesn't come with a death penalty in this country.

If she were on duty and wanted to arrest him for weed possession...knock yourself out, Amber. But that's not what happened. What if it were you, doing something illegal or even just unsavory? Would it really be okay for someone to walk into your apartment and attack you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18