TX - Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger, indicted for Murder of Botham Shem Jean #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years ago I was on sequestered jury for murder trial. Thank goodness we were sequestered for only one night. We were in a motel in a seedy are of the city near the prison and criminal courthouse. There was activity all night long along the corridors and stairs. I think this place may have had hourly rentals!!! We were very well fed though.

I wouldn't have been able to sleep.

Do we know how this jury is sequestered?

Joining late today but I just listened to the ranger's opinions that her actions were reasonable. IMO, we should all be terrified by his opinion.

Not only do we have to worry about someone coming into our homes and killing us, but we have LE suggesting it is legal and reasonable to do so. Damn!

Joining late today but I just listened to the ranger's opinions that her actions were reasonable. IMO, we should all be terrified by his opinion.

Not only do we have to worry about someone coming into our homes and killing us, but we have LE suggesting it is legal and reasonable to do so. Damn!

that is downright scary!!!!

I hope so because I feel it was a tragic accident.
I do as well. Just imagine had Mr. Jean walked into Guyers home? What about some parents getting life when they have left their pride and joy strapped in a car seat due to being distracted by sexting? Or leaving other ppls child in a car, I could go on and on. Yes it was another tragic accident. Yep I say you gotta pay, I dont care who you are.
Guarantee the defense will get him qualified and bring him back. Allll jmo imo Totally praying justice is served and that we all, including little Chicago over there, Dallas County, will accept the outcome. As hard as it may be.
I believe she will get some time.
Or im just hopin'

Cops protect their own. They are always "in fear for their lives", so therefore, always justified in killing it seems.

How many of those people tried to enter an apartment as distinctive as Jean's though? I'm sure many of those apartments just all look the same. His did not. His had a big red mat in front for example.

Also, again, how many of those people were LE and/or carrying a loaded weapon? Both carry a greater duty of care.

In other words, when someone is either LE and/or carrying a dangerous weapon, they have a responsibility to be more aware and cautious than the average person.

That's where reasonability comes into play, IMO.
Did I not say the same thing about her being held to higher standard as a PO? I agree with that but at the end of the day she is also a person and makes mistakes. So I think it does matter that 40 other residents on these 2 floors had done the same thing going as far as entering their key fob in the wrong door. I’ve also said the red mat is huge to me but that is also where her being distracted comes in to play as she clearly wasn’t fully paying attention as she approached the door. Just my opinion. I do think she needs to be held accountable I just don’t think she’s guilty of the charge murder, negligent homicide or manslaughter absolutely!

Did I not say the same thing about her being held to higher standard as a PO? I agree with that but at the end of the day she is also a person and makes mistakes. So I think it does matter that 40 other residents on these 2 floors had done the same thing going as far as entering their key fob in the wrong door. I’ve also said the red mat is huge to me but that is also where her being distracted comes in to play as she clearly wasn’t fully paying attention as she approached the door. Just my opinion. I do think she needs to be held accountable I just don’t think she’s guilty of the charge murder, negligent homicide or manslaughter absolutely!

I agree! Manslaughter or negligent homicide, not murder

We are having a discussion. It's not an attack.

She can't be treated as just a person who makes "mistakes" because of who she is and what she did. A mistake would indeed be trying to enter the wrong apartment. Shooting someone to death is not a mistake. Especially when you're trained LE.

I agree with you that it's more appropriately negligent homicide or manslaughter. I don't see murder. Despite the way the statute is worded. I feel like case law probably ferrets that out more and establishes a specific mindset necessary for it to be murder.

I do as well. Just imagine had Mr. Jean walked into Guyers home? What about some parents getting life when they have left their pride and joy strapped in a car seat due to being distracted by sexting? Or leaving other ppls child in a car, I could go on and on. Yes it was another tragic accident. Yep I say you gotta pay, I dont care who you are.
Guarantee the defense will get him qualified and bring him back. Allll jmo imo Totally praying justice is served and that we all, including little Chicago over there, Dallas County, will accept the outcome. As hard as it may be.
Or im just hopin'
I agree, but please don't compare Dallas to Chicago..

Or im just hopin'
If Mr. Jean had walked into Guyger's home and killed her, he would have been arrested on the spot, jailed with no bail, and on trial for capital murder.

Now BJ's family is playing the race card.

SMH!!!!

Their attorney said that if he were white, he would be alive.

"Unfortunately the color of Botham's skin was the weapon she saw".

The "race card" is not a card. It's an unfortunate reality for black people in our nation. The data and research/studies are super clear that how dangerous or culpable a person is perceived is based on skin color. The darker = the more dangerous and guilty and the harsher sentences. Thus, black people are treated more harshly from the time they're small. Hence the arrests recently of two little girls in Florida for throwing tantrums.

Another example, when a white male teen is caught with pot in a state where it's illegal, cops take him home for a talking to. If it's a black teen, there's a life altering arrest instead.

I can go on and on.

A black man told to get his ID and reaches for it after telling the cop where it is, is shot to death. This doesn't happen as much with white people. Unless they're mentally ill.

It's a perception thing that is drilled into our heads. And it's not even about being bad people or hating others due to their ethnicity. It's mostly subconscious.

That being said, I don't know that she could even see his skin color when she entered. I don't know if it was well lit.

But I do believe that if she was a black civilian and he was white, this thread would probably not be here. He would have been charged and there would be little sympathy or cries about what a tragic mistake was made or how he had a bunch of pot in his apartment.

Race matters in the law in our nation. Both in terms of how an accused is treated and how a victim is treated. The research is thorough.

I was surprised to learn that in Texas, negligent homicide carries a prison sentence of only 2 years max.

When I lived there many years ago, they had a big problem with domestic violence, husbands murdering wives and partners. Also lots of drinking and driving. More than any area I lived in before or since. Perhaps it has something to do with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lesleigh719