TX - Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger, indicted for Murder of Botham Shem Jean #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ms Noebel gave a very detailed timeline of all persons actions, often to the second, and using a computerized timeline on a screen.

The Defense then asked her why the door data shows BJ leaving his apartment (8:47pm) after he was in the parking garage starting his car (8:15pm)? She states the door information was the Unknown and the car GPS is considered accurate.

My summary: BJ's door data is Unknown and could only be estimated based on other information, sheesh!

On the stand, Taydra Jones, neighbor at Southside Flats.

Pros: She heard gunshots, she saw AG pacing on balcony, she was looking out her door peephole, saw police and paramedics arrive. She did not hear loud shouting, commands.

Defense: She was watching TV at the time, not paying attention to outdoors, yes.

No redirect. Excused. Taking break. Resume 1:00.

Livestream:
WATCH: Texas Ranger describes investigation in Amber Guyger murder trial

One thing that me and my husband notice that he was very uncomfortable on the stand, while it could be he didn’t want to testify against her, we also wondered if he could have had a wife and maybe having an affair. Not saying he does but can you imagine if he did and this is a national case. Yea. Just throwing it out there, not really saying that’s the case.
That's exactly my thoughts as well.

I personally think that the sexting is relevant. It shows that her mind was totally preoccupied with what she was anticipating for later on in the evening. In other words her head was not on her shoulders at the moment. JMO

I see that. It's not that the texting is not relevant, I just think the focus on sex will be dismissed. She was clearly not thinking straight because she parked in the wrong area and walked the wrong corridor, and opened the wrong door. People are distracted everyday fiddling with their phones, myself included. I just think the jurors will see fatigue and will pay little attention to her horny comment.

I'm afraid that, much like the Casey Anthony case, they've overcharged and are tying the hands of the jury. I do have one "unless" to go with that.

While I still can't see how she was confused and thinking she was at her apartment, considering the red mat, I'm not sure that flat-out murder was her original intent. HOWEVER, she failed to give any kind of medical aid ("hang on, bud" isn't rendering aid to me) and that may qualify as the murder. So that's my "unless."

People always say that because some talking heads said so. But the jury in the Casey Anthony case didn't over charge. The jury had the options of:

1st degree murder
Second degree
3rd degree felony murder
Aggravated manslaughter of a child
Aggravated child abuse
Child abuse

https://malagaaunike.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/28440627jury-instructions-casey-anthony-trial.pdf

They also had the options of providing false information to a police officer.

The jury went through the list and found her guilty of the only charge available that would NOT lead to a sentencing phase. Providing false information.

The Anthony jury had one of the most onerous and punitive sequestrations I've seen. Judge Perry in his zeal to give the defense a super fair shake, blew it. For seven weeks they could never go home. They were only allowed to see family for a couple hours each Saturday, supervised by court officials on hotel grounds.

They couldn't go to the hotel pool or bar unless it was in a supervised group. They couldn't leave the hotel except on specifically planned outings with supervision. They couldn't watch tv. Only movies the judge approved.

They made sure to find her not guilty of anything that would have led to any more time deliberating.

Judges have been smarter than that nowadays. It concerns me that this jury is likewise sequestered though. Hopefully the manner is not as punitive.

The Anthony jurors were being punished IMO for being on that jury. I would've gone nuts.

Last edited:
People always say that because some talking heads said so. But the jury in the Casey Anthony case didn't over charge. The jury had the options of:

1st degree murder
Second degree
3rd degree felony murder
Aggravated child abuse
Child abuse

https://malagaaunike.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/28440627jury-instructions-casey-anthony-trial.pdf

The jury went through the list and found her guilty of the only charge available that would NOT lead to a sentencing phase. Providing false information.

The Anthony jury had one of the most onerous and punitive sequestrations I've seen. Judge Perry in his zeal to give the defense a super fair shake, blew it. For seven weeks they could never go home. They were only allowed to see family for a couple hours each Saturday, supervised by court officials.

They couldn't go to the hotel pool or bar unless it was in a supervised group. They couldn't leave the hotel except on specifically planned outings with supervision. They couldn't watch tv. Only movies the judge approved.

They made sure to find her not guilty of anything that would have led to any more time deliberating.

Judges have been smarter than that nowadays. It concerns me that this jury is likewise sequestered though. Hopefully the manner is not as punitive.

The Anthony jurors were being punished IMO for being on that jury. I would've gone nuts.

Wow I had no idea the jurors had all of those options or the manner in which they were sequestered.

Juror was not removed for knowing TX Ranger Armstrong professionally per WFAA reporters.

Ranger Armstrong testimony was outside the presence of the jury. He was to be qualified as an expert witness for the Defense, and he stated that AG has NOT committed any crime at all. However, he is the one who took took out the manslaughter warrant against AG. Pros objected to his testimony.

The judge ruled for now that Armstrong will not be heard by jury, but that could change by judge before end, 705 hearing. The testimony could be prejudicial or confusing and experts should offer clarifying info to a jury.

(I was listening to attorney Michael Todd commentary hosted at WFAA for ABC6 - now also on break for lunch until 1:00)

Last edited:

1st degree murder
Second degree
3rd degree felony murder
Aggravated child abuse
Child abuse

The Anthony jury had one of the most onerous and punitive sequestrations I've seen. Judge Perry in his zeal to give the defense a super fair shake, blew it. For seven weeks they could never go home. They were only allowed to see family for a couple hours each Saturday, supervised by court officials on hotel grounds.

Years ago I was on sequestered jury for murder trial. Thank goodness we were sequestered for only one night. We were in a motel in a seedy are of the city near the prison and criminal courthouse. There was activity all night long along the corridors and stairs. I think this place may have had hourly rentals!!! We were very well fed though.

Great point! But several states have not gone to the effort to do repeals. KWIM?

Ahh! Yes. I see. Like how some states still had segregation laws on the books. They don't enforce them but they didn't repeal them.

So weird!!

The state overcharged her.

This is clearly a manslaughter case.

I see two outcomes, she either gets convicted of manslaughter ir she walks.

Manslaughter is absolutely available to the jury. And they appear to be prosecuting that.

Ms Noebel's detailed timeline showed the coming and going of Botham Jean. According to the timeline, BJ left for work the morning of the 6th and didn't return until late afternoon. My question is I thought I remembered the neighbor across the hall testified yesterday that apartment management knocked on his and Botham's apartment doors around 2 pm because of a noise complaint. Neighbor testified this was when he first met Botham. Not that it matters in the outcome of the case but the timeline and this testimony don't seem to make sense. Did anybody else notice this or did I miss something?

I see that. It's not that the texting is not relevant, I just think the focus on sex will be dismissed. She was clearly not thinking straight because she parked in the wrong area and walked the wrong corridor, and opened the wrong door. People are distracted everyday fiddling with their phones, myself included. I just think the jurors will see fatigue and will pay little attention to her horny comment.
I have to disagree. I believe that the jury will see that the sexting was what was totally distracting her thinking pattern. There are so many accidents and cases where someone had sex on the brain and did or caused an accident or injury. I'm thinking that the jury will not buy the "exhausted" bit. You don't sex-text and hope to meet up later for a sex romp if you are so exhausted you can't find your own apartment. JMO

The ranger on the stand has said some 40 residents from the 3rd and 4th floor had not only parked on the wrong floor but put their key fobs in the wrong doors. He went on to explain about the striker plate being messed up on BJs door and it not latching. So sure those residents that had made those mistakes had not gone in but the doors were probably locked wereas Botham's door pushed right open with her keyfob in. That is absolutely terrible and truly helps prove she thought it was her apartment. I still feel that as an officer she should've been able to stop and assess the situation before firing her weapon but when the door opened she did mistakenly think there was someone in her apartment.

How many of those people tried to enter an apartment as distinctive as Jean's though? I'm sure many of those apartments just all look the same. His did not. His had a big red mat in front for example.

Also, again, how many of those people were LE and/or carrying a loaded weapon? Both carry a greater duty of care.

In other words, when someone is either LE and/or carrying a dangerous weapon, they have a responsibility to be more aware and cautious than the average person.

That's where reasonability comes into play, IMO.

On the stand, Taydra Jones, neighbor at Southside Flats.

Pros: She heard gunshots, she saw AG pacing on balcony, she was looking out her door peephole, saw police and paramedics arrive. She did not hear loud shouting, commands.

Defense: She was watching TV at the time, not paying attention to outdoors, yes.

No redirect. Excused. Taking break. Resume 1:00.

Livestream:
WATCH: Texas Ranger describes investigation in Amber Guyger murder trial

How far away was she?

I hope so. I don't want women convicted due to their sexuality. Women are allowed to be horny. It's normal. And too often women are punished via the law for their sexuality.

But I do believe that she was unreasonably distracted while in uniform and carrying a loaded weapon.

Wow I had no idea the jurors had all of those options or the manner in which they were sequestered.

I know! Most don't. I followed every day of the trial including Perry's terms of sequestration and I listened to the juror comments after.

One juror talked about wistfully staring down at the hotel pool and not being able to go in it. This was during an interview about the outcome. But she was focused on the damn pool.

Later, some articles over the years really brought it together for me. They honed in on the sequestration and since then few juries are sequestered and when they are I believe the manner is not as horrible. Like they can go home at night or weekends.

Perry treated them like naughty children who needed to be monitored. Sounded like worse than house arrest to me. At least with house arrest you're home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member