TX - Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger, indicted for Murder of Botham Shem Jean #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
True, but many of those "racy" texts were hours before this event. The prosecution built this up like she was getting ready to get home and get laid...super horny and distracted.

However, when the love-interest officer takes the stand, he admits they broke up a long time ago and they were just flirting and he had no intent on seeing her that night. Even admitted that the text from her stating 'I need you hurry' didn't elicit anything but fear from him that she was in trouble. Sure, he could be full of crap. It's hard to judge given that both their testimonies are just weird. I mean who flirts with people they're not seeing anymore? Who sends pics of your junk when you have no interest in seeing them that night?

So wait.... you are saying that instead of texting AFTER work about getting laid, she was texting ON THE JOB?

I'm not sure how that is any better?

I like you. I like you alot.

We adore our Gitana around here.

You are not making much sense. You say Amber is super angry at the guy, yet he's the one she calls in her moment in extremis??

He is her partner at work and a many year veteran in their department. He showed her the ropes when she came to his department, among other things it seems he showed her. It's natural she would ask him for his advice or help or whatever. Have you watched any of the testimony?

One thing I'm curious about from today's testimony: the Chemistry teacher/football coach stated that after he parked his car in the garage (4th Floor), he saw Amber driving fast through the garage before parking her vehicle. He was a bit alarmed by that and it was one reason her noticed her.

I wonder what AG's frame of mind was at that point. Was she angry about something/at someone? Was she in a hurry because she had plans for that night? IIRC, she had pulled over in the garage before that to text her partner.

Testimony yesterday showed that she had pulled over in the garage at some point to finish her phone conversation with her partner. The prosecutor claimed based on phone records that this was a much longer conversation than usual -- approx 16 minutes I think. Makes me wonder if she was looking forward to hooking up with her partner that night but he was backing out. Maybe her fast driving and irrational actions were because she was angry at that situation. Just my opinion and speculation...

I don't think there is one. I think murder was what they had to indict with under the facts, but I also think TX law allows the jury to charge her with a lesser crime. I've been digging through a lot of statutes, bear with me LOL.

The murder statute states:

So IMO it is pretty clear that's exactly what she did, so the burden has shifted to the defense team to prove the murder was justified under the law.

The mistake of fact statute states:
Texas Penal Code § 8.02 | FindLaw
JMO but this mistake of fact statute is horribly written. Attempting to translate it from legalese, I think it means "Murder is justified if the defendant's reasonably mistaken belief negates the defendant's culpable mental state.

The culpable mental state definitions for murder in TX:
PENAL CODE CHAPTER 6. CULPABILITY GENERALLY
IMO AG could be found to have either/both these mental states in this case.

[BBM] (same link as previous) The bolded part secures for me that the jury can convict her of a lesser charge. Her intent/knowing mental state can be transferred down to the lesser charges if the jury sees them fit better IMO.

So it's confusing, especially because the case relies on a highly confusing mistake of fact statute. I'm sure case law in TX has fleshed it's meaning out way more clearly, and gosh I hope so.
What this reminds me, is that despite the fact that I find this woman vile, the law must be followed such as it is prescribed.
Whether we will like the outcome or not.

Vile. Just vile.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Yes. It's clear obstruction to delete test messages in the course of an investigation.

I actually think that deleting the text messages is more than "obstruction". It is actual willful and intentional act to deliberately destroy potential evidence in a murder. A felony.

No wonder Officer Rivera wanted nothing to do with testifying in this case. If he covered up evidence in this case, what else has he done? And why hasn't he been charged with a felony?

This case is really going to rely on the jury. I think that the defense is hanging on the issue that it was not against the law to "stand your ground" in your own home. AG thought she was at her home, therefore, she didn't commit any crime. That simplifies "Stand your Ground". And the Castle Doctrine.

I don't see it quite that simple. The issue of murder, is that AG has a "depraved heart". She acted with a wanton carelessness of human life.

Testimony yesterday showed that she had pulled over in the garage at some point to finish her phone conversation with her partner. The prosecutor claimed based on phone records that this was a much longer conversation than usual -- approx 16 minutes I think. Makes me wonder if she was looking forward to hooking up with her partner that night but he was backing out. Maybe her fast driving and irrational actions were because she was angry at that situation. Just my opinion and speculation...
You're right. It was a telephone conversation AG was having with MR when she pulled over in the garage. Telephone records showed their conversations normally lasted 1-2 min. but this time it was 16 min. So, that conversation likely had a bearing on AG's state of mind when she drove to the 4th Floor of the garage. Certainly not a defense for her.

I don't think there is one. I think murder was what they had to indict with under the facts, but I also think TX law allows the jury to charge her with a lesser crime. I've been digging through a lot of statutes, bear with me LOL.

The murder statute states:

So IMO it is pretty clear that's exactly what she did, so the burden has shifted to the defense team to prove the murder was justified under the law.

The mistake of fact statute states:
Texas Penal Code § 8.02 | FindLaw
JMO but this mistake of fact statute is horribly written. Attempting to translate it from legalese, I think it means "Murder is justified if the defendant's reasonably mistaken belief negates the defendant's culpable mental state."

The culpable mental state definitions for murder in TX:
PENAL CODE CHAPTER 6. CULPABILITY GENERALLY
IMO AG could be found to have either/both these mental states in this case.

[BBM] (same link as previous) The bolded part secures for me that the jury can convict her of a lesser charge. Her intent/knowing mental state can be transferred down to the lesser charges if the jury sees them fit better IMO.

So it's confusing, especially because the case relies on a highly confusing mistake of fact statute. I'm sure case law in TX has fleshed it's meaning out way more clearly, and gosh I hope so.

I'm with you step by step. That's as best as I can understand it as well.

I actually think that deleting the text messages is more than "obstruction". It is actual willful and intentional act to deliberately destroy potential evidence in a murder. A felony.

No wonder Officer Rivera wanted nothing to do with testifying in this case. If he covered up evidence in this case, what else has he done? And why hasn't he been charged with a felony?

This case is really going to rely on the jury. I think that the defense is hanging on the issue that it was not against the law to "stand your ground" in your own home. AG thought she was at her home, therefore, she didn't commit any crime. That simplifies "Stand your Ground". And the Castle Doctrine.

I don't see it quite that simple. The issue of murder, is that AG has a "depraved heart". She acted with a wanton carelessness of human life.

Obstruction is a felony too. But I looked it up. In TX it seems to fit more with tampering. So I was wrong about that. It's a 3rd degree felony:

Texas Penal Code § 37.09 | FindLaw

Obstruction is a felony too. But I looked it up. In TX it seems to fit more with tampering. So I was wrong about that. It's a 3rd degree felony:

Texas Penal Code § 37.09 | FindLaw
Well if her lover boy partner erased texts he needs to be prosecuted and fired too. Those texts can be retrieved. No one is above the law.

Amateur opinion and speculation only

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member