GUILTY TX - Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger, indicted for Murder of Botham Shem Jean #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If Ms. Guyger were not a police officer and did what she did, there would have been no question about the level of charges that should have been filed. If I made that mistake, most public sympathy would have gone toward the victim and I have no doubt that I would have been charged for murder.

As a police officer she had more training (and training that she should have retreated and called for back-up). There was only one way out of that apartment. She could have id'ed herself in that hall and arrested an intruder/thief. She would have had a light and clear sight of a thief. She didn't do CPR or attend to him. She made phone calls. I get why she did and so does the jury.

There are not winners here. Even if Mr. Jean's family is gratified about the verdict, I can guarantee that they are not happy. This is not a happy occasion. It is a tragedy that has been given some justice.

Narcs love themselves too much to off themselves lol imo jmo

I don't know that that is true. They often kill others and them themselves. Like killing their kids to hurt their exes and then they kill thsemselves to escape justice.

The Ohio monster kidnapper did just that.

Killing herself deprives Bo's family of justice.

The charges were wrong from the beginning. And it's painfully clear the jury didn't have a clue by their questions. Mistrial all the way. So many things they can appeal on.
I hope this doesn't seriously effect how LE can respond in the future.

They weren't. The charges met the legal requirement in Texas law. Period.

I hope it does affect how LE can respond. I hope they now know that they can't open a door and shoot a person with no cause. I hope it never happens again.

I agree with you. I felt like she acted consistently and fairly. I do think we might see changes to the Castle Doctrine in Texas to prevent it being used as a defense in cases like this. I do not believe that was the intent of the law but, seeing this case, it is clear that the language needs to be addressed.
How many times has the Castle Doctrine been used in Texas? And how many cases like this have occurred in Texas?

Why wasn’t she cuffed, taken away ?
Not til this afternoon?
Whaaat?

Preferential Treatment ...

A "civilian" would have been cuffed, and put in the court holding cell, maybe a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch ...

Instead, AG is probably having steak and cocktails for lunch.

MOO

The charges were wrong from the beginning. And it's painfully clear the jury didn't have a clue by their questions. Mistrial all the way. So many things they can appeal on.
It's very hard for me to believe you and I read about and watched the same trial.

ETA: BTW, I would be willing to bet a large sum that her fellow Dallas police officers were glad she was not acquitted. IMO

Jean's mother, Allison Jean, leaned her head back as state District Judge Tammy Kemp read the verdict. Her daughter, Allisa Findley, slumped in her seat, put her face in her hands and wept.

Allison Jean's face crumpled as she put both hands in the air. As she walked out of the courtroom, she said "God is good. Trust him."
https://dmn-dallas-news-prod.cdn.ar...aws.com/public/GIDIMLXNNKXJUPTM7CR2KKGN6Y.jpg

One woman in a red dress in the gallery cheered and clapped her hands. A bailiff immediately yelled "no" and she was quiet.

Jean's grandmother raised her right fist in the air as she left the courtroom.

After hearing the verdict, Guyger stood still until the jury left. Then, she sank down into her chair.

More than two dozen bailiffs lined the courtroom and the hallway outside. Patches on some of their uniforms indicated they were with the tactical unit, though they had no extra gear.

At one point, one bailiff asked another whether they had enough people to keep order. "No," another responded.

The crowd in the hallway after the verdict was boisterous but not unruly. When prosecutors walked out, people gave them a round of raucous applause and cheers.

In the hallway, Guyger's mother was shaking.
Amber Guyger & Botham Jean -- Jury Finds Former Dallas Cop Guilty of Murder in Mistaken Apartment Killing | National Review

Amber Guyger convicted of murder for killing Botham Jean

Sounds like the cruise could just be a rumor. I’d assume on bond she would have had to surrender her passport?? Most cruises you need them anyway. However she did receive more specialized treatment so who knows

It was part of a subpoena submitted by the prosecution to the cruise line. Under a gag order, it couldn't be discussed, but perhaps it will sometime in the near future.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/G...Courtroom-Facing-Murder-Charge-507288391.html

The state also subpoenaed the cruise ship company Royal Caribbean to submit records "pertaining to all cruises taken by Guyger" between Sept. 23, 2018, and March 4, 2019; beginning two weeks after Jean's death.

Prosecutors stated the information "is considered material to the state."

Beginning in November 2018, the judge stated Guyger was to surrender her passport to her attorney and was not to travel outside Texas without the court's approval.

It's very hard for me to believe you and I read about and watched the same trial.

ETA: BTW, I would be willing to bet a large sum that her fellow Dallas police officers were glad she was not acquitted. IMO
I just posted my opinion. I wasn't predisposed with an opinion before the trial began. Just watched, listened, and researched.

ITA. There are several points of reversible error in the case, too. As for the overcharging and the verdict for murder, this case will bite Texans back more than they now realize as other cases that would be charged as manslaughter or negligence are also redefined as murder.

I cannot categorize AG as the same as Diane Zamora or Darlie Routier or 1000s of other Texas murderers. All MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jzouzie