GUILTY TX - Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger, indicted for Murder of Botham Shem Jean #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
No I understand she was in the wrong apartment but SHE thought she was in hers. Reading some more responses it seems this is more about a white police officer shooting an unarmed black person. It seems people are more hung up on that. If she was just a white woman that happened to have a license to carry a gun and this same situation happened i wonder if there would be as much outcry. Or if the victim had been a white male would there still be such a push for murder?
Let me restate that I do believe she was wrong and should be punished but the sentence of murder seems way out of proportion to me.
Blue is the only color at issue here, the blue uniform and the tribalistic behavior associated with it. If nothing else this verdict sends a message to others that their evaluation of a situation better be correct before acting like Rambo and killing an innocent person.

The main reason this case got so much attention is that Mr. Jean was in his own house, not hers. She was not in her house, she was in his house. She was distracted, possibly upset with her paramour, missed all clues that she was not on the right floor of her apartment building nor at the door of her own apartment.

She was an unknown woman at a man's house.

As an aside: it is not good practice for police agencies to allow officers to wear uniforms off duty and in many places, that alone is cause for disciplinary action against the cop. This is a well researched topic and requiring police to leave their uniforms at work (and spend some time re-orienting their headspace) cuts down on violence by cops in their own homes. Domestic violence among police is significantly higher than in other occupations and departments who maintain a policy of "no uniforms outside of work" have lower rates. This includes lower rates of non-lethal domestic violence.

It's interesting that you assumed the opposite, though. But the actual case is far more interesting because of its facts.
I always understood that SHE was in the wrong apartment. I was stating it from her point of view which is why i disagree with a murder charge. Though i do think she was wrong and should be found guilty of manslaughter and should serve jail time. She took an innocent life regardless of the situation.

Don't forget our other attorneys especially @Hraefn who was posting every bit of trial when he or she could. I relied on those posts. He or she was much more helpful and informative on this case all along than I!
Again thanks @gitana1 ! It was so nice having another attorney here to bounce thoughts off of regarding the legalese. TX has some different practices and language, and I think we have a really great discussion in here. [OT I’m a she :) ]

@imstilla.grandma, Thank you for the repeated news articles highlighting important aspects of this case. Each time I read one of these posts I am reminded why I thought that Ms. Guyger being indicted and charged was right.

And, to have the head of the DPA have the recordings shut off, well, I think there should be some obstruction charges if he impeded the investigation of this crime. To be honest, his actions coming out only added to the narrative that justice is different for a police officer versus a regular citizen. This may have affected Ms. Guyger negatively. One rule should be the rule for all.

Last edited:
the interview with Jean supporters at courthouse indicated they plan a "celebration" tonight on the steps...I am not sure that is a good idea and I assume that the jury could see this depending on timing...I also did not like all the clapping...I did not hear Judge Tammy give any strong warning before the verdict was read. This can impact remaining decisions of the jury. If I were AG's attorneys...I would be addressing this and getting things under better control. AG has been now made a poster child for all the sins of the Dallas PD...I do understand that her family probably sees it that way.

IMO--she's a scapegoat to prevent
It's very hard for me to believe you and I read about and watched the same trial.

ETA: BTW, I would be willing to bet a large sum that her fellow Dallas police officers were glad she was not acquitted. IMO

Mainly because the State Fair is going on here, and they are stretched too thin as it is and now no rioting.

No I understand she was in the wrong apartment but SHE thought she was in hers. Reading some more responses it seems this is more about a white police officer shooting an unarmed black person. It seems people are more hung up on that. If she was just a white woman that happened to have a license to carry a gun and this same situation happened i wonder if there would be as much outcry. Or if the victim had been a white male would there still be such a push for murder?
Let me restate that I do believe she was wrong and should be punished but the sentence of murder seems way out of proportion to me.
You are not alone in not knowing the legal definition of murder in Texas. Many of us on this thread have been educated to understand that the definition of murder in Texas law does not require any premeditation. It requires intent. She intended to kill him when she pulled her gun from her holster, aimed it, and shot. She even said this on the stand several times that she did intend to kill him. In Texas, that intent qualifies as murder. It's been a learning curve for many of us. It's defined here: PENAL CODE CHAPTER 19. CRIMINAL HOMICIDE

Race hasn't been much of an issue here IMO. It's been far more an issue the sanctity of one's own home which was so violated in this man's case.

Stella M. Chávez‏Verified account @stellamchavez 1m1 minute ago
The family of #BothamJean and their civil attorneys gather near the elevators before walking back inside the courtroom for sentencing phase of the #AmberGuyger trial. ⁦@keranews

EFz5q1UX0AEDoVJ.jpg

Clayton Smith Law‏ @claytonsmithlaw 2m2 minutes ago
Media waiting for the punishment phase of the Amber Guyger trial. The most I’ve seen in 12 years coming to Frank Crowley. – at Frank Crowley Courts Building

EFz534dWkAE4i9-.jpg

According to reports from outlets like CNN and USA Today, this conviction could earn Guyger as much as a life sentence in prison. A tweet from news outlet AJ+ notes that she could face "up to 99 years in prison," stating the maximum length of a life sentence in some states.

Instead, there are varying levels of a "life sentence" she may face. Many convicted murderers get an indeterminate sentence, such as "25 to life," in which they are required to serve at least 25 years behind bars before they are considered for parole. Still, the criminal will typically spend the rest of their lives under state supervision of some kind.

“Nothing will bring Botham back, but today his family has found some measure of justice," Ben Crump, a lawyer for Jean's family, said in a statement.
The jury’s thoughtful verdict sets a powerful precedent for future cases, telling law enforcement officers that they cannot hide behind the badge but instead will face justice for their wrongful actions.”
Amber Guyger Trial: How Long Could She Face in Jail?

The Dallas Morning News

Amber Guyger convicted of murder for killing Botham Jean

Amber Guyger convicted of murder for killing Botham Jean

The jury will now resume deliberations to determine Guyger's punishment.
GIDIMLXNNKXJUPTM7CR2KKGN6Y.jpg

Botham Jean's mother, Allison Jean, rejoices in the courtroom after fired Dallas police Officer Amber Guyger was found guilty of murder Tuesday by a Dallas County jury. (Tom Fox / Staff Photographer)

Last edited:
I’m guessing right in the middle from 50 years with this jury. Honestly, I would be satisfied with 10 years and prohibited to ever carry a firearm. She is not some mad criminal running around as a menace to the general population. Many will disagree with me though.

I'd tack on those 10 years as extra punishment for the grotesque indifference to life she demonstrated after she knew she had killed an innocent man in cold blood. Someone who believed she had made a horrific mistake and felt immediate remorse and concern for the man dying at her feet would have dropped to her knees to help him, and stayed there until EMS arrived.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yoohoo27