GUILTY TX - Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger, indicted for Murder of Botham Shem Jean #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
They can introduce the information but it won't be considered a mitigating factor. The judge/jury are well aware that police officers work long, exhausting shifts all the time and it doesn't result in them murdering someone.
She might just get time served due to the circumstances!

That is a good point, she meant to kill him when she fired the weapon.

But... the defense could argue that the initial reckless action was thinking she was entering her apartment. Thus, the death was due to reckless action (recklessly thinking there was an intruder in her apartment).

Shooting an actual intruder, as apposed to an innocent man is not reckless.
They basically did argue that. The jury found her actions wholly unreasonable, not reckless.

But it will be a factor in her sentencing!
really they might not want to bring that up since she was sexting her married partner for a hook up , as a female if I am tired that's the VERY last thing on my mind oh and she said something on the stand about maybe going to the gym , couldn't have been too tired ask any of our husbands lol!!

This was a terrible accident, she lost her job. I say time served and call it a day!
There was an Indiana mom who was sentenced yesterday to 41 years for the death of her six year old while drunk driving. She didn’t intend to kill her child. She was actually struck in the head by her boyfriend while she was driving, which caused the accident. I’m all in for punishing drunk drivers. But 41 years?

And then we have AG who stated she “intended to kill him” and she should get time served? How much time did she actually serve? Besides on the cruise ship?
Wtah?

I’m just going to reiterate: She INTENDED to kill him. This wasn’t an “accident”.

Mind. Blown.

Without being able to follow this trial very much, the biggest question I have right now is for the DA's office to fully explain their reasoning why she was first charged with Manslaughter and then that was changed to Murder charges.

Did the jury even have Manslaughter as an option or were they limited to the Murder charges?

Below is a link that more or less gives us the timeline of how the charges came down. I included just the parts about the charges.

Sept. 9, 2018 -- An arrest warrant is issued for Guyger, charging her with manslaughter.

Sept. 11, 2018 -- Lee Merritt, an attorney for Jean's family, calls Guyger's story "highly implausible." Dallas County District Attorney Faith Johnson says she has not ruled out a murder indictment.

Nov. 30, 2018 -- A Dallas County grand jury indicts Guyger on one count of murder.

Death of an innocent man: Timeline of wrong-apartment murder trial of Amber Guyger

The shooting and its aftermath in September 2018 ignited protests and calls for justice, with demonstrations outside Police Headquarters and inside City Hall. Activists complained that Ms. Guyger was not immediately arrested at the scene but charged with manslaughter several days later. After weeks of community tensions and accusations of preferential treatment for the police, a grand jury came back with the charge of murder.
Amber Guyger, Ex-Dallas Police Officer, Is Guilty of Murder for Killing Her Neighbor

Without being able to follow this trial very much, the biggest question I have right now is for the DA's office to fully explain their reasoning why she was first charged with Manslaughter and then that was changed to Murder charges.

Did the jury even have Manslaughter as an option or were they limited to the Murder charges?

Below is a link that more or less gives us the timeline of how the charges came down. I included just the parts about the charges.

Sept. 9, 2018 -- An arrest warrant is issued for Guyger, charging her with manslaughter.

Sept. 11, 2018 -- Lee Merritt, an attorney for Jean's family, calls Guyger's story "highly implausible." Dallas County District Attorney Faith Johnson says she has not ruled out a murder indictment.

Nov. 30, 2018 -- A Dallas County grand jury indicts Guyger on one count of murder.

Death of an innocent man: Timeline of wrong-apartment murder trial of Amber Guyger

The Texas Rangers called for the manslaughter charge. They moved forward with the warrant based upon that. The DA called for the murder charge after investigated deeper.

But... the defense could argue that the initial reckless action was thinking she was entering her apartment. Thus, the death was due to reckless action (recklessly thinking there was an intruder in her apartment).

The jury didn't buy any of the defense arguments and neither do I.

It was not the DA that decided on murder. They sent it to the grand jury. They rejected manslaughter in favor of murder.

Well, also, her action in opening the door and pulling out her weapon and entering and shooting, instead of retreating and calling for back up, which is what her own department protocol very clearly is, was reckless behavior. Right? She went against clear department policy. The state pointed out that policy is actually in ALL CAPS!

So for me, that was reckless too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member