GUILTY TX - Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger, indicted for Murder of Botham Shem Jean #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have watched many trials...some very very sad...I guess I am more comfortable with a judge keeping a more low profile and not showing so much emotion. Often during the trial she really showed her feelings and while hugs for everyone after (not just one side) I have never witnessed anything like this. Is Texas that different?

I've never watched a Texas trial, but I will admit loving Texas. Long road trip with family. Loved everyone's bizarre pride in the state flag as much as the American flag. The Texans are fierce and loyal, and at the same time warm and embracing.

Yes. It's so hard to get there.

I will also add that I've seen this deep level of forgiveness among members of many faiths as well. Among Muslims. Jews. Buddhists. Etc.

And, among those who would categorize themselves as humanists. Compassion and empathy are human traits. I do think this case emphasized what can happen when people follow their moral/religious beliefs to a natural end. But, there is a greater question because many who are innocents who are murdered are not as "pristine" or "clean" as Mr. Jean. Where is the compassion and empathy across all religions when this is the case?

I think the circumstances of this case created a clearer moral choice about right and wrong than we experience in other shootings. Mr. Jean being in his home and not bothering anyone created a dilemma about what should happen to Ms. Guyger. From the beginning the shooting was a bad shooting, but, it took time and the character of Mr. Jean to emerge before it became understood that this needed a legal remedy (by many in the public). I think that is why the information about his marijuana use was delivered to the press (trace amounts, as I recall) on the day of his funeral---there was a desire to make the shooting fine somehow and that was the only thing the LEO had. If Mr. Jean had been an unemployed, non-stellar citizen, I wonder where this would have gone. Mrs. Jean is so correct about her questions and the issues that need to be addressed--- and somehow this family has continued to follow their faith which is why her questions may be able to be answered.

I have mixed feelings about what happened today. I'm still in a bit of a shock. Anyway, how much time will Guyger actually serve if everything goes her way, and Botham's family is cool with parole?
She was sentenced to 10 years. This is from a district court judge speaking on WFAA: she will be eligible for parole in 5 years, however parole on the 1st try rarely happens. More likely she will serve 75-80% of her time, so 7-1/2 to 8 years.

She trusted that the community values the life of a cop over a victim. And she was right. She knows where she lives.

Aww, blue. That's not what I was trying to convey. I respect your views my friend.

Unlikely. There was no act of malice, she made a mistake that had terrible consequences. Putting her in prison is not going to make her a "better person" because she presumable is one already and is not a criminal in habit. Rehabilitation is not required, it is not as though she is going to go out and commit other crimes when she is released. All a long prison sentence will do is cost the taxpayers a large amount of money and wreck her life.

I think there are many first time criminals who wish someone would identify them as "not a criminal in habit." There are people in jail for life who made one mistake-- drinking and driving, killing an abusive spouse, punching a person at a bar. I think the argument is interesting and one that the legal scholars and voters should look at. But, it can't just be this woman who would get that justice because how our system is supposed to work is "liberty and justice for all" without limits on who they were before the crime, who they know, where they worked.

Prisons used to be based on rehabilitation rather than just incarceration to pay for the crime. I think it is another great topic for our country to take up as there are many who could use the time inside to rehabilitate and gain skills to reintegrate into society when it is time.

DA says the Jean family has accepted the sentence! Maybe the whole family is not where the brother is, which is their prerogative. AG doesn’t have the right to forgiveness. It was a gift from the brother. And I agree with the DA, the brother stands out as a leader by what he did. And is an example for all of us. And it doesn’t negate the anger or frustration that others may be feeling about the outcome either.

I think the judge recognizes that it is a tragedy on both sides. There are no winners here. This is not like a typical case where there is a clear act of malice involved. Basically it is a mistake that led to someone dying.

A sentence should serve two purposes, firstly to act as a deterrent by imposing a penalty for the act, and secondly to remove an otherwise dangerous or disruptive individual from society. It is quite clear that the second part does not apply to Guyger, so only the first part should apply. Therefore a lighter sentence is entirely appropriate.

Even 10 years is overkill in this case IMO. She will be punished no matter how long the sentence is, but what purpose does it serve to keep her there for that long?
I say Amen!! ^^^

I think the judge recognizes that it is a tragedy on both sides. There are no winners here. This is not like a typical case where there is a clear act of malice involved. Basically it is a mistake that led to someone dying.

A sentence should serve two purposes, firstly to act as a deterrent by imposing a penalty for the act, and secondly to remove an otherwise dangerous or disruptive individual from society. It is quite clear that the second part does not apply to Guyger, so only the first part should apply. Therefore a lighter sentence is entirely appropriate.

Even 10 years is overkill in this case IMO. She will be punished no matter how long the sentence is, but what purpose does it serve to keep her there for that long?

BBM. She is dangerous. She killed a man in his home. She stated that she shot to kill him. If she was found not guilty, she would be able to own a firearm. She would be free to be a police officer again. She disrupted his life. We don't know what would have happened if she was walking the streets. We can conjecture about her future behavior. No one has a crystal ball. There have been a number of people who received no prison time for crimes or were found innocent who offended again. Prison is not about what you may do in the future. Prison is about paying for the crime you were convicted of. Time served is not about removal.

Murders are always tragedies. I've not met Guyger but her social media indicates she loved abusing her authority. Pepper spray into a crowd enjoying a MLK parade? That's not a disruptive mentality? She lied on a poly and should have NEVER been given a job in law enforcement. This case showed bias by the cops, by the DA's office just because she was a cop and a woman. Public outcry is why the DA took it to a Grand Jury. Maybe public outcry will force changes in the leadership of the DPD and their hiring practices.

JMO

She was sentenced to 10 years. This is from a district court judge speaking on WFAA: she will be eligible for parole in 5 years, however parole on the 1st try rarely happens. More likely she will serve 75-80% of her time, so 7-1/2 to 8 years.
i was stunned when Bothan's brother said he did not even want her to go to prison?

I think she could make a difference appealing to the black community of young people. Tell them it's important to go to school, get jobs, stay away from drug use and selli

I am sorry if you have that impression. I grew up here, married a criminal attorney here, and had a son who wore a bullet proof vest to work everyday for 15 years. I simply stated I think Botham's mother could make a huge difference. If that is inflamatory then I'm sorry. Was not my intent.

She doesn't have to talk about the ills of a community if she chooses not to do so. She spoke about what was in her heart and her experience. There was a cover up, there was an interview that was stopped, there was a recording that was stopped, no-blood draw for hours, there was a smear campaign of her child (announcing he had trace marijuana in his system on the day of his funeral), there were political people who refused to act based on votes lost, and more. She spoke about what she experienced as a citizen of St. Lucia who had to bury her innocent son. She had enough to question and make comment on. She spoke about the fact that had things not been challenged there would have never been justice for her son and people would have seen him as creating a circumstance that lead to his death.IMO.

"Your sentence will begin today," Judge Tammy Kemp told Guyger.

Brandt Jean, Botham Jean's brother, Outraged by the sentence, some supporters of Botham Jean outside the courthouse chanted, "No justice, no peace."

Others criticized what they saw as a "slap in the face" to Jean's family.stepped to the witness stand to deliver a victim-impact statement and offered forgiveness, citing his Christian faith.

"It hurts me every day," Bertrum Jean said. "How could we have lost Botham, such a sweet boy? He tried his best to live a good, honest life. He loved God. He loved everyone. How could this happen to him? Hindsight, what could we have done? My family is brokenhearted."

ap_19275599130717-a8cdf268727f28d2e44a0276e1090c00f04670a1-s1700-c85.jpg

When Allisa Findley, Botham Jean's sister, took the stand and watched a video of Jean's singing at church, prosecutors asked what hearing her brother's voice elicited in her.

"That I want my brother back," Findley said. "If I could just continue our last conversation and just not hang up the phone."

"The jurors had to believe that what she did was reasonable, and the actions of the jurors were pretty clear with their message and the speed at which it was delivered," he said. "They believed the zone of reasonableness had been violated and that she was way outside that zone."
Amber Guyger, Ex-Officer Who Killed Man In His Apartment, Given 10 Years In Prison

Another heartbreaking moment from today:
His best friend Alexis Stossel read through her last text-message exchange with Jean. She didn’t see his response until the next morning. About the same time, she got a phone call and was told he had been killed.

“I slumped to the floor, and I just kept — I just kept screaming, ‘Wait, wait, wait, wait!’ ” she said. “I hung up the phone, and then I called Botham seven times. And there was no answer.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...iends-testify-during-amber-guyger-sentencing/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member