GUILTY TX - Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger, indicted for Murder of Botham Shem Jean #8

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
"God bless #BothamJean's brother," wrote Bernice King, the youngest daughter of Martin Luther King Jr. and Coretta Scott King. "But don't confuse his forgiveness with absolving this nation for its gross, bitter discrimination against Black people in a myriad of its systems and policies. Racism and white supremacist ideology can't be 'hugged out.' "
Brandt Jean's Act Of Grace Toward His Brother's Killer Sparks A Debate Over Forgiving

Be A King (@BerniceKing) on Twitter

Reverend Al Sharpton (@TheRevAl) on Twitter

Rev. Cornell William Brooks (@CornellWBrooks) on Twitter

Last edited:
Snipped by me.

Yes I find it baffling too. I think they set our expectations high with the murder conviction. Had they found her guilty of manslaughter, we'd have expected this sentence. It doesn't line up. Again I don't think she should've gotten life. But at the very least a murder conviction warrants 15-20 years. Especially when they knew she'd be parole eligible in half that time and likely to get out since she's an ex-cop.

A murder conviction in Texas carries anywhere from 5-99 because there are no degrees of murder here. The jury very well could’ve thought she deserved a sentence more in line with manslaughter but because she admitted intent it fits for murder in Texas.

They also were specifically told in their instructions that they were NOT to consider when she would be eligible for parole. The instructions clearly said that is not up to them or their job to decide but up to a parole board.

Maybe in the near future a juror will speak up and tell us all what their thoughts were.

The one odd thing about the "hug", AG's Mother stated that AG had been molested as a child. Often, adults who were molested as children, do not like "hugs". It can be very uncomfortable and difficult.

Although, it looked like AG had true gratitude for the hugs she received the other day. A bad day, and a good day for AG. She messed up, and has to go to prison. I hope that she remembers that hug for a long time.

I thought she was massively grateful for Brendt's hug, not so much for Judge Kemp's hug.. She almost ran to embrace Brendt... she really never expected it... his words touched her hugely..
I had been under the impression she was surely drugged up because she managed to remain impassive, no matter what anybody said or did , no matter the verdict, even...
Then suddenly it was as if she had a EUREKA moment...

I'm not liking the race arguments around this at all.
Because a white supremacist narrative is being used to weaponise what was in fact a matter of heart or/and spirit.
I don't believe they are worthy of discussion.

A murder conviction in Texas carries anywhere from 5-99 because there are no degrees of murder here. The jury very well could’ve thought she deserved a sentence more in line with manslaughter but because she admitted intent it fits for murder in Texas.

They also were specifically told in their instructions that they were NOT to consider when she would be eligible for parole. The instructions clearly said that is not up to them or their job to decide but up to a parole board.

Maybe in the near future a juror will speak up and tell us all what their thoughts were.
If they are wise they will refrain.
Anything they say will be weaponised to prove a narrative.

“She was in a government courtroom, dressed in a judicial robe, with all the imprimatur of the state … preaching to someone who was quite literally a captive audience,” Dan Barker and Annie Laurie Gaylor, co-presidents of FFRF, wrote in the complaint. “Here, compassion crossed the line into coercion.”

“She is a woman of remarkable faith. And I admire and appreciate the fact that she doesn’t limit her faith to Sunday morning,” said the Rev. Frederick Haynes, senior pastor at Dallas’ Friendship-West Baptist Church. “But I preferred her to do that in private setting. That was very jarring and unsettling.”

In their complaint, Barker and Gaylor also fault the judge for “instructing the convicted criminal on how to read the Bible and which passages to pay attention to, and witnessing to that convicted murderer.”

“These proselytizing actions overstepped judicial authority, were inappropriate and were unconstitutional,” they wrote.

“FFRF is protesting Judge Kemp rather than joining the rest of the nation celebrating the compassion and mercy Judge Kemp demonstrated,” Hiram Sasser, its general counsel, said in a statement. “We should all be thankful the law allows Judge Kemp’s actions and we stand with her and will gladly lead the charge in defending her noble and legal actions.”

“I have no problem with her personal gesture and as a Christian find it to be a beautiful witness,” he said. But what Kemp did was inappropriate given the context of the moment, Mason said.

“No one should feel as if the government is favoring one religion over another,” he said. “Elected officials should be neutral toward religion. Not hostile and not advancing a religion.”

“I think her humanity overwhelmed her in the moment,” he said. “And that’s totally understandable and in many ways commendable.”

Sasser, of the First Liberty Institute, told The Dallas Morning News that the state judicial commission “could decide to go crazy and attack this judge for that.”

“I would defend any judge handing any holy text to anybody in an effort to help them be a better person,” he said.

And he said there is adequate historical precedent for Bibles being used or given to people being sentenced “for purposes of their edification,” although this doesn’t typically happen in Dallas County state court.

And she said it’s difficult to sue over ceremonial language that’s used to open court sessions, such as “God save the United States and this Honorable Court,” which a bailiff usually utters after asking attendees to bow their heads.

“If it’s done for everyone who stands before her, then I feel more comfortable.”
Was it right for judge in Amber Guyger case to talk religion and give her a Bible?

Texas releases some statistics on sentencing: in 2018, according to one report, some 478 convicted offenders were sentenced to prison terms, while 15 offenders actually received a probationary sentence.

The federal Bureau of Justice Statistics attempts to collect and analyze information on crime and punishment at all levels of government, including states. According to one BJS report on time served in prison nationwide in 2016, offenders sentenced for murder or non-negligent manslaughter served an average of 15 years in state prison before their initial release.

According to the same report, 96 percent of violent offenders released in 2016, including 70 percent of those sentenced for murder or non-negligent manslaughter, served less than 20 years before their initial release from state prison. The 2016 report indicates that offenders serving prison terms for murder or non-negligent manslaughter served an average of 57 percent of their maximum sentence length before being released.
Amber Guyger's sentence was somewhat lenient, statistically, but not by much

AG was not charged or sentenced to 1st degree murder. That is part of the problem with peoples understanding of the sentence. There are no degrees of murder in Texas, that is why the sentence range is so broad of 5years - 99. Perhaps the jury felt her guilt fit the charge of murder the way it’s written in Texas but deserved a sentence closer to Manslaughter or what would be 2nd degree in other states.

It’s unreal to me that people praised this jury for the conviction and detests them for sentence. Maybe those people need to fight to change the laws in Texas and the way the statutes are written. A jury of her peers decided her fate, an extremely diverse jury at that and people want to blame the system and make this about race.

The jury had the option of finding her guilty on a lesser included charge of manslaughter. They declined to convict her on that charge. They almost certainly declined to do so because Amber testified she chose to shoot, and chose to shoot to kill.

My use of the term 1st degree murder is generic - that the killing was intentional. My opinion that her sentence is far too lenient isn't based on a misunderstanding of Texas murder statutes, nor that she was a cop, nor on her color or the color of her victim.

I believe the sentence is too lenient because Amber chose to kill Botham Jean, a man who posed no threat to her, rather than to simply close the door and ask for assistance. She took a life for no justifiable reason whatsoever.

(Just three and 1/2 minutes elapsed between the time she stepped out of her truck and when she called 911 after shooting Jean. Isn't that rather telling about the choices she made?).

Last edited:
The jury had the option of finding her guilty on a lesser included charge of manslaughter. They declined to convict her on that charge. They almost certainly declined to do so because Amber testified she chose to shoot, and chose to shoot to kill.

My use of the term 1st degree murder is generic - that the killing was intentional. My opinion that her sentence is far too lenient isn't based on a misunderstanding of Texas murder statutes.

I believe the sentence is too lenient because Amber chose to kill Botham Jean, a man who posed no threat to her, rather than to simply close the door and ask for assistance.

(Just three and 1/2 minutes elapsed between the time she stepped out of her truck and when she called 911 after shooting Jean. Isn't that rather telling about the choices she made?).

Like I said perhaps the jury felt what she did “fit” the charge or murder in Texas and convicted her based on that. I too know they could’ve chosen Manslaughter but her crime fit murder especially after she admitted intent on the stand. Being able to also understand the whole situation, my thoughts are maybe they felt the punishment should be in line with manslaughter. Again there is a reason murder in Texas allows for only 5 years minimum and not 20 year minimum.

Like I said perhaps the jury felt what she did “fit” the charge or murder in Texas and convicted her based on that. I too know they could’ve chosen Manslaughter but her crime fit murder especially after she admitted intent on the stand. Being able to also understand the whole situation, my thoughts are maybe they felt the punishment should be in line with manslaughter. Again there is a reason murder in Texas allows for only 5 years minimum and not 20 year minimum.
They had to come back with a murder conviction based on her testimony, as you say.
I cannot even hazard a guess at the leniency of the 10 years when the Prosecution put so much into proving her guilt without fear or favor...and they specifically requested 28.
Judge was brilliant throughout.
Prosecution was brilliant.
Lying 'investigators' were not spared.
'Were there pockets in Mr Botham's shorts'? -Hermus
'I don't recall' -Lead Investigator, TR Mr Reasonable.
'Here is a photograph of the shorts Mr Jean wore. They have no pockets@-Hermus'I can see from the photograph they have no pockets' LI Reasonable TR
And Guyger had specifically lied she's shouted 'Show me your hands'

Helluvaa investigation, eh?
Sorry for digressing.
If we saw it, the jury must have seen and heard it.

Yes, the jury must have believed her punishment should be in line with manslaughter. That's why they gave her only 10 years. The disconnect I have is how it's possible for a jury to hear Amber admit she chose to kill Mr. Jean though she had other choices; to hear her change her story on the stand about the "threat" Mr. Jean posed, and to know she didn't tend to him as he lay dying, and yet to think she deserved no more punishment than if she actually had killed Mr. Jean "accidentally."

The fact that 12 people were able to agree on something like this, kudos to all. From Manslaughter charges to Murder, from 99 years to 5 years. What an impossible task to get them all to be unanimous.

I agree, I would have preferred more time. But the jury has spoken.

"I will not resign as President of the DPA. I will continue to protect the rights of my members and every officer within the Dallas Police Department,” said Mata.

https://media.wfaa.com/embeds/video/287-c952d122-efeb-429d-b8d2-5fc0dd54b7b8/iframe

"And I was not acting as an officer. I was acting as president of a labor organization,” said Mata.

"That is attorney client privilege just like every other citizen and you can not record that. It is law,” said Mata.

“We must all agree that there were some things that there were some things that came out in the trial and if those things are true and how we are going to begin to find that out is by launching an internal affairs investigation and came out and that is how we want to make sure that we address those things. That if those things are true that we make the necessary policy changes and or procedural changes to ensure that this community truly trust our ability to police this community,” said Hall.

“If DPD opens up an investigation I welcome it,” said Mata.

“That would be a fair investigation and I hope I get it,” said Mata.

'I won't resign and I welcome an internal affairs investigation:' said DPA President in wake of Amber Guyger trial

Last edited:
At the end of the day, with everything that transpired with/regarding Botham Jean's death at the hands of Amber Guyger, and Amber's sentencing to a mere ten years, I think it is important to respect what the jury decided as a sentence that resulted from their finding of Murder. IMO, I do not see her, Amber, as a threat to future humanity. The prison system and sentencing guidelines are in need of tweaking. Ten years is a long time, even if she only serves about six because of good-time and plenty of enough time to hold her accountable. Nevertheless, it is enough time for Amber to change her life, mindset, and beliefs if she so chooses. She, Amber, will have time to do a lot of soul searching. I am not of the mindset that she should be imprisoned for the next 40 years to equate to Bothan's "loss of productive life" as a poster several pages back suggested.... or something to that effect. None of us have the answers to what "justice" is, but IMO, this sentence was fair and just. The jury found her guilty of Murder, not Manslaughter, and chose to sentence her to only 10 Years. I am compassionate and understanding. I respect their, the juries, sentencing recommendation and now, on a private level, hope we let these family's/ players heal outside of the limelight. IMO, what happened that fateful night was a horrific "comedy of errors". ....for whatever reason.

Last edited:
Im surprised at the harshness guided at Judge Kemp. Did the posters who have so much criticism of her watch the trial? She may have had to wipe her eyes a few times (for BOTH sides) but she never lost her composure, her neutrality, her control, or her fairness.
The bible was given after jurors were dismissed and after proceedings were concluded. I’m not a huge fan of that occurring, but I do not fault her for it professionally. Judge Kemp showed respect, empathy, humility, and fair mindedness in her actions after the proceedings.

There is a drastic difference in being impartial, fair, and unbiased than having zero emotion. The best judges are the former, not the latter IMO.

I wonder if she is unbiased if she is judging an atheist, a Muslim, a Hindu of a Jew. It is really concerning. Religion is a deeply personal thing, not a medal to be worn on her mantle.

"What you saw and heard was disheartening, and I can only imagine the public's perception of who we are as a police department," the chief said.
upload_2019-10-3_23-38-38.png
“I welcome it and want a thorough investigation of all parties who were at the scene that night,” Mata told The Dallas Morning News. "And when this investigation is done, it will show that I violated no policy and I did the standard practice that has been in place for several years.”
upload_2019-10-3_23-41-27.jpeg
"The testimony that came out in this trial is not reflective of the men and women in the Dallas Police Department," Hall said.

"We're not backing away from those things," Hall said. "As a department, we're always assessing ourselves."

"The Dallas Police Department is not what you've heard over the last week and a half," Hall said.
DPD Launches Investigation After Guyger Trial Revelations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member