TX - Gunman in Hijacked Mail Truck, multiple victims, Midland/Odessa, 31 August 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
UTSA on Twitter
Tonight through Thursday night, the Monument Lights and Student Union Tower Lights will shine a solemn white candle for the lives lost in the Midland-Odessa tragedy. Our thoughts are with the victims, their families and the community. #UTSA @utsasga
EDYzMUIXkAAc7wo.jpg
EDYzMUHXYAMLTos.jpg

10:03 AM - 1 Sep 2019 from Texas, USA

Chris Costa on Twitter
Here’s the scene where the shooter ditched the gold Toyota, Odessa police tell us. Someone was killed here, but they can’t confirm who. “You’d never think something like would happen in Odessa,” an officer just said to me. @newswest9 #khou #OdessaShooting #midlandshooting
EDW-WFQXkAIwev0.jpg
EDW-WFtUYAU-uVu.jpg

2:32 AM - 1 Sep 2019

Chris Costa on Twitter
.@AP reporting now 7 dead. Statements from @MCHOdessa and @CityofOdessa — MCH said at least 13 people hurt in the shooting were brought there. @newswest9 #khou #texasshooting
EDYpbUGWkAAXkFo.jpg
EDYpbUKXkAEL4Uh.jpg

9:20 AM - 1 Sep 2019

Chris Costa on Twitter
The front page of the @OdessaAmerican Sunday morning. @newswest9 #khou #texasshooting
EDYt8kBXYAEOml-.jpg

9:40 AM - 1 Sep 2019

From other news reports, this is where the woman postal worker was killed. There's a witness who lived on the street who saw him struggling with her then shooting her, then taking off in her truck. I checked it on a map and its quite a distance from the Twin Peaks restaurant and even farther to the movie theater. He did a lot of driving around, killing people before he was killed.

From other news reports, this is where the woman postal worker was killed. There's a witness who lived on the street who saw him struggling with her then shooting her, then taking off in her truck. I checked it on a map and its quite a distance from the Twin Peaks restaurant and even farther to the movie theater. He did a lot of driving around, killing people before he was killed.

Do you know if he took the UPSP truck on a side street or main drag? Just trying to figure out if he had a planned location to go to (residential street because someone he knew lived there??) or just randomly driving to escape LE.

jmo

Update: 7 dead, 19 injured in Midland-Odessa area shootings Saturday
[...]

The death toll from Saturday’s multiple shootings in the Midland-Odessa area rose to seven on Sunday, according to an update from the Odessa Police Department.

A spokesman for the City of Odessa said four of the deaths were in Odessa and three were in Midland.

[...]

A spokesman for the Texas DPS said Saturday evening the Trooper was in serious but stable condition. The two other officers were in stable condition at a local hospital.

[...]

“The male driver (and only occupant in the vehicle) pointed a rifle toward the rear window of his car and fired several shots toward the DPS patrol unit. The patrol unit was occupied by two Troopers, and one was hit by the gunfire,” a news release from the Texas Department of Public Safety said.

[...]

Our sister station in Odessa, KMID, reported a postal employee was shot in the hijacking of the postal vehicle.

[...]

Scanner audio from law enforcement reveals the chaos in the moments after a mass shooting as police worked to determine exactly what was happening.

[...]

(You can listen to the scanner audio at the link. Warning: may be graphic.)

Poor baby. :( So glad she's going to be okay but what a terrifying experience.

AD suffered shrapnel in her right chest, has a hole through her bottom lip and tongue, and had her front teeth knocked out after being shot in the face, according to a page created by a family friend. Eric Finley, marketing director of Texas' UMC Health System, said Anderson was in satisfactory condition at a hospital in Lubbock.

"She is alive. When others today are not alive," AD's mother said in a statement shared on the page. "I ask you to continue praying for our hearts as we experience this, pray for complete healing of AD, pray for every other family in our same situation, or worse, today and pray for the shooters. Pray that whatever is causing them to do this will be defeated by God and they will stop shooting."

(Names changed to initials by me)

Do you know if he took the UPSP truck on a side street or main drag? Just trying to figure out if he had a planned location to go to (residential street because someone he knew lived there??) or just randomly driving to escape LE.

jmo

The report I read (I think it's linked farther back in this thread) was from a woman whose brother saw it happen from the front window of their home. He called her while she was shopping. She said once the killer left in the USPS truck, all the neighbors came out to assist the mail carrier. One was a nurse who tried to help her, but she soon died. The brother/witness said the killer shot the carrier first in the hip as she struggled. After she fell he shot her in the head, got in the truck and left.

Here's a link

Witness: Midland and Odessa shooter killed postal worker before stealing mail truck

The article says it was a block from the Wilson & Young Middle School, which is near Adams Ave according to Google Maps. From other damage reports, photos uploaded, etc. he must have traveled east on E. 42nd street past Starbucks, then Twin Peaks. He must have passed the college at some point. From there, its farther about a mile or so east to the Cinergy theater. That's a total of almost 7 miles.

He got to Adams St. from I 20. That's where he was seen by the woman (video link a little way back in the thread) who managed to escape from him on I 20. Looking at Google Maps, it appears I 20 has a business loop that's a regular multi-lane grade level street with stop lights in that part of Odessa, as opposed to a freeway. He could have turned onto S Dixie Hwy then to Adams St. It's all residential at that part.

Google Maps

ETA: Here's the link to the interview with the woman who saw him on I-20 and managed to drive away with him chasing her. Thanks to imstilla.grandma who posted it earlier. Very chilling, poor woman was very traumatized.

VIDEO: Odessa woman speaks after locking eyes with the shooting suspect

Last edited:
Hospitals: 1 died overnight, two in serious condition, four in critical after shootings
Another victim of the mass shootings Saturday died overnight at a Midland hospital.

Combined Medical Center Hospital and Midland Memorial Hospital reported Sunday morning that they have seen 20 gunshot victims. Of those, two are in critical condition, four in serious condition, six in stable condition, one treated and released and one pediatric patient under two years of age flown to Lubbock.

[...]

Lubbock Vitalant opens to collect blood for Midland-Odessa victims
Lubbock’s Vitalant Blood Donation Center has opened to take donations for victims of the Midland-Odessa shootings.

They will be open until 2 p.m. Sunday.

Those looking to help can go to the center at 2523 48th St, by University and 50th Street or call ahead to set up an appointment: (806) 797-6804

Chris Costa on Twitter
Behind the counter at this #Whataburger in #Odessa an @FBI agent. This place is bustling even in the aftermath of yesterday’s shooting. @newswest9 #khou #texasshooting
EDZAmd6XkAE4L4T.jpg
EDZAmd6X4AIpviH.jpg

11:01 AM - 1 Sep 2019

Chris Costa on Twitter
Witnesses now tell me the person killed here was the mail carrier, but I’m still waiting for police to confirm.
11:03 AM - 1 Sep 2019 from Odessa, TX

Robert Arnold on Twitter
Just one of many spots where state troopers are still collecting evidence from Saturday’s rampage in Midland-Odessa. Governor expected here shortly.
EDZBAtpXUAc_9R1.jpg

11:03 AM - 1 Sep 2019

Last edited:
Poor baby. :( So glad she's going to be okay but what a terrifying experience.

AD suffered shrapnel in her right chest, has a hole through her bottom lip and tongue, and had her front teeth knocked out after being shot in the face, according to a ******** page created by a family friend. Eric Finley, marketing director of Texas' UMC Health System, said Anderson was in satisfactory condition at a hospital in Lubbock.

"She is alive. When others today are not alive," AD's mother said in a statement shared on the ******** page. "I ask you to continue praying for our hearts as we experience this, pray for complete healing of AD, pray for every other family in our same situation, or worse, today and pray for the shooters. Pray that whatever is causing them to do this will be defeated by God and they will stop shooting."

(Names changed to initials by me)

Thank you as always Pommy! You, and others are such valuable assets to make sure we always stay informed.

I've seen many in the media , and when speaking to the media say prayers don't help anything.

It bothers me greatly because I know all of the naysayers know nothing about the power of prayer, or having a deep faith in God, both in good times, and in the most trying of circumstances. This mom knows, and she is not alone by any means.

I actually feel somewhat sorry for these negative individuals.

If you notice when mass shootings like this happens when the families affected do speak out they say what has sustained them throughout in their darkest hour are all the prayers, and undying support they have received from their own communities, state officials, LE, the assistance of the federal government, and from those all around the nation.

God bless this brave mother, and her little baby. I know she is so thankful her beautiful baby was one of the survivors, but her heart is heavy for the ones who did not, and all of the ones who were wounded.

Their strong faith in God is what they will lean on to help them overcome their unimaginable tragedy.

The citizens of both towns will come together as one family unit, and will pray together for healing.

I'm so proud of the citizens in both towns. They both are filled with very good people.

One of my past coworkers was from Odessa, and he loved nothing better than to tell me about the people there, and how hard working, God loving, and kind they are. Through the years I looked forward to him returning from his hometown so he could tell me more.

We see so many cases where so many good, kind, caring, and honest people were destroyed when evil crossed their path even when many of the murderers weren't strangers in mass shootings.

At least this one won't be able to harm anyone else for every time the good ones are taken from us, and the evil ones remain we lose so much as a society overall.

Jmhoo

Sorry. Duplicate posts.
Beautiful words, Ocean. I enjoy reading your posts so much.

I got goosebumps when I read the statement by little AD's mother. She didn't just ask for people to pray for AD, everyone else affected, but also for the shooters...

What a gracious woman. I hope everyone will meet her request. MOO

ETA: Your post was worth reading twice. You should have left the duplicate, lol!

Last edited:
Faith can help in the darkest of times, but there are people who do not believe in God, and that's fine. For these people, prayers... do just seem like lack of action, and that too must be respected as much as people who feel like they are helped by prayers. There have been other victims of mass shootings who say they don't want prayers, they want things to be done.

If I were a survivor of a mass shooting I would not want prayers. I think both sides should be respected.

Wishing all the survivors a swift recovery.

Watch Live: Latest on the shootings in Odessa

Fundraisers highlight West Texas spirit following shooting
After the tragedy in Odessa, the community is coming together to take care of those fighting to survive.

Fundraisers have been set up for the 17-month-old girl who was airlifted to Lubbock, a Midland Police officer that was injured in the shooting, the family of an ECISD student who was killed in the shootings as well as the mail carries who was reportedly shot and killed.

[...]

(Links to all fundraisers in the article)

Here's an updated map based on news reports that the police first pulled the killer over near mile marker 130 on I-20, then encountered victims at I20 and Loop Hwy 338

Google Maps

It's just an approximation. He could have driven through any of the side streets, too, along the way.

Interesting about the mail carrier, probably a contract worker. The post office has "A scale and B scale" workers now. Those who work for the post office, or those who work at the post office for a contract carrier.

If it is actually a government worker who was killed, I believe that federal charges will be added to the state charges. Not sure if it matters if this was a contract worker. But it will make a significant difference in the amount of money that the family will receive.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneej08
Back