TX - Hailey Dunn, 13, Colorado City, 27 Dec 2010 - #39

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I am not mistaken, Nancy Grace took a tidbit about the search and expanded upon it, making it sound like something else. My understanding is that the searchers were using mail from the trash bags in the landfill to isolate the Dunn's neighborhood and the date in question. Nancy heard they were looking for "mail" and read into it that they were looking for a "letter", which she then went on to say was "possibly written by Hailey". Nobody has confirmed that they were looking for anything other than mail to pinpoint the correct pile of trash.

But, I could be wrong.

ETA - And it doesn't really seem that LE is confirming much of anything.

GRACE: Why can`t you tell me about a search for a letter, a letter written by Clint or Billie Dunn?

MIKKILINENI: Right. One of the reasons that they`re looking for any type of mail that was sent to the house, letters, written notes that might be dated, is because if you look at a landfill like this -- and this is a huge landfill. For example, this landfill in Snyder is huge. They need dated material in a garbage bag so that the physical evidence can be dated.

....and...

GRACE: ... and you hear about possible hits at a landfill, but police saying, this is not a body, we have not found a body, we found something relating to Hailey, it`s not a body -- what thoughts are running through your head? How do you keep going hour to hour?

BILLIE DUNN: It`s so scary to hear stuff like that. And of course, it scares me every time I hear such a thing. But they did tell me if they got a big breakthrough, I would hear about that first. So I was also told they were out there today looking for our trash, any letters, anything Hailey would have jotted anything down on.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1101/20/ng.01.html

LRC has been pretty good about posting updates on their facebook... there is a post from two hours ago:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Laura-Recovery-Center-for-missing-children/116361385094269

((paraphrase))... if you are anywhere near CC come and help search... too many times people get away with crimes if the victim cannot be found... doesn't want this to happen in Hailey's case....

We live 5 hrs away. If there are not 100's of searchers today, we are going out there tomorrow. Praying there is a fantastic turnout today.

Billie's friend indicated that there could be reasons SA lied to Billie that have nothing to do with Hailey's disappearance. That may be, but would he really need to get a lawyer over it? And lie about his whereabouts to LE? That is kind of like saying that maybe Terri Horman was doing something naughty when Kyron vanished, so she won't talk. Nothing else is as bad as having done something harmful to a child, so it just doesn't make sense.

As far as LE not liking Billie...that should not include Texas Rangers and the FBI, even if they get local LE's version of what probably happened. Those organizations are not "in it" to arrest someone, they are in it to solve the crime. I'd like to think they are working with local LE and agree with the naming of SA as a suspect. I hope I'm not wrong, I really don't want to think that local LE is "bullying" Billie and SA due to their lifestyle, as Billie seems to suggest.

I agree with what you said about SA lawyering up. If indeed he is innocent and his unaccounted for time is because he was hooking up with another woman (a seed planted by the friend CZ) or something then there would be no reason to get a lawyer. SA could have just admitted to cheating and it would be a non-issue at this point. I have not seen him joining any searches or doing anything to find Hailey whom he "loved with all his heart". SA has been named a suspect by LE. You don't get named a suspect just because. There is a reason. LE doesn't throw out the suspect name tag too easily for fear of lawsuits down the road etc.

I can't say if LE "likes" BD and I doubt their personal feelings about her parenting skills are causing them to bully her and SA. LE deals with people from all walks of life and I doubt SA and BD are the first drug using crappy parents they have dealt with. I am not going to criticize LE until I know the whole story...if we ever get to know the whole story. We do not know why HD was classified as a runaway. Perhaps it was the interviews with both sides of the family that led them to believe that. There was nothing to suggest an abduction and at first there was nothing to suggest that something sinister may have happened to her. For all we know the family could have thought HD had run away. It is easy for us to sit back and criticize law enforcement but they can only work with the information they are given...and the information in this case is quite convoluted.
Looking back, it sure would have been nice for this case to be considered a criminal investigation from day one but there was nothing to suggest that at that time that we are aware of.

I still hold out some hope that HA is alive....I think Elizabeth Smart gave us all more hope when it comes to missing kids coming home. However, LE must loook in two directions...for a live HD and a deceased HD. Like somebody on here said, if HD is indeed deceased then I want her found today, not tomorrow, next week, next month, next year or never.

OK, (deep breath) I have to say something.

My daughter was molested by her stepdad for 2 years, beginning when she was 8. I had made it a point to ASK HER all the time if anyone had touched her, beginning when she started school and was out of my care for part of the day. She never said a word about him, even when she told me about a (little girl) neighbor wanting to play "date" and a little boy who wanted to play "show me yours and I'll show you mine".

YEARS later, she was having some problems so I got her into counseling. The very first day they said that her issues were either the result of being molested, or the result of being biploar. She insisted she had not been molested and began taking medications for bipolar. Over a year later, the truth came out. She was then 15. I found out then, for the first time. I had NEVER suspected that this man, although a freeloader and occasional drug user, would EVER have touched her.

When I asked her why she had denied being molested for so long, she said "I didn't think they meant THAT!". In her mind, he was her "boyfriend" and they were "cheating on me" together. When she learned in 5th grade that it was illegal for an adult and a child to have this sort of contact, she mistakenly assumed that THEY had broken a law, and that she was as much a criminal as he was. Later, obviously, she learned the truth about that, long before she told anyone about it, but at the time, she told him they had to stop because what they were doing was illegal. He stopped, just like that.

He and I parted ways shortly after, based on unrelated "lies of omission." The sad part is that the counselor and psychiatrist never used this new information to re-evaluate her diagnosis and she continued to take medications for bipolar for several more years before it occurred to us that the meds were CAUSING some of her symptoms. Even worse, while I immediately filed reports, the psychiatrist, a mandatory reporter, and the school nurse and her drama teacher, also mandatory reporters, never reported anything. This posed a huge problem in prosecuting him.

Later, family and friends came to me and said they "thought" something had been going on. I asked "Why didn't anyone tell me?" and was told they did not think I'd believe it. Then I asked "So why didn't you call and report your suspicions to CPS??? or LE???" and have never gotten a good answer to that one.

BTW, He still has 13 years left on his prison sentence, but his first parole hearing is in December of this year. My daughter still has issues.

Sorry if this is TMI.

Thank you LisaB for sharing this, it's an eye opener for sure. I'm so sorry this happened to your daughter and also to you.

Are there a lot of public lands around CC, or are they searching mostly private property with the owner's permission?

We live 5 hrs away. If there are not 100's of searchers today, we are going out there tomorrow. Praying there is a fantastic turnout today.

Anyone know if you have to be there first thing in the AM to get trained and search, or do they do this at various times during the day for those who travel from out of town? I want to search, but can't be there by sun-up!

1.) I do not believe Hailey had alot of close friends, yes classmates ect...but too embarassed to have close friends who would get to know her home life. (Seems she walked around alone alot) The reason I believe that she did not have many close friends is that SA could have simply said he did not remember which friend she was staying the night with, thus buying more time on pinning any witnesses down. And I lived in an abusive household, so you don't get too close to people because you don't want them to know.
2.) I do not believe that Hailey ever got in SA's face. (another example that Billie gave that we heard third hand)
3.) I believe Hailey got to where she was with cheerleading and good grades without the help of any adults...(maybe teachers, but no one in her immediate family)
4.) I believe Hailey was scared of SA, and was too scared to put out there exactly what all was going on. And also afraid of not being listened to by BD.
5.) I believe that Hailey and BD did not have a good "mother/daughter relationship" I believe Hailey resented BD for putting her last in her life. Rightfully so!
6.) I believe that BD resented Hailey for "trying" to have the teenage life that BD never had.
7.) I believe that Hailey was crying out for attention, love, acceptance and caring from BD.
8.) I believe that SA is guilty of something, and I believe BD is guilty of maybe knowing that things were not right with SA where Hailey was concerned, but never acted upon them. She does not seem to me like a she would have a set down with her daughter to find out what exactly might have been happening. In fact I believe that BD did not want to know what MAY be going on.
9.) I do believe that CD was leary of what was going on around his children and had plenty of concerns, I have been there with stepchildren and sometimes your hands are tied even with court orders ect.....
I know that when I told my Mom when a male relative tried to molest me at 14, she turned a deaf ear on it. And the male relative was still invited into our house and treated like a king.
I know that when a male relative sent a message to my daughter that he wanted nude photos of her, I went face to face with him and told him that the wrath of hell would rain down on him if he ever even mentioned my daughters name again.(And he was way bigger and stronger than me, the mother bear kicked in and I did not care or even think of what he could have done to me.) Did not want husband in prison so did not even tell my husband until I had handled the situation. I know that even with proof of said incident with my daughter that my entire family to this day takes his side and says it was just a joke....that was how he explained it to them.
joke or not he would have got the same from me. thst is nothing to even joke about, nothing funny there.

Anyone know if you have to be there first thing in the AM to get trained and search, or do they do this at various times during the day for those who travel from out of town? I want to search, but can't be there by sun-up!

Not sure if this is still the case, but according to an article on 1/19/2011:

Volunteers are asked to report by 10am and wear comfortable, warm clothing and appropriate walking shoes or boots.
http://www.cbs7kosa.com/news/details.asp?ID=23427

Thank you LisaB for sharing this, it's an eye opener for sure. I'm so sorry this happened to your daughter and also to you.

I am too! I get an uncomfortable feeling when people make comments that anyone be it BD or others would have been told and ignored their child was molested. Especially when there is no evidence of it (ignoring it or that it happened) yet. I suspect many reading here have had experiences like LisaB and it must hurt to hear the assumptions that essentially say a good mom would know.

I realize it is more comfortable to believe it but who in reality is going to know unless told. Even then it might take a day or two for the information to sink in but none of us would imagine their loved partner would molest their child befoer that..otherwise they wouldn't be partners. Yes there is an exception here and there but most of us would be as clueless before being told as all the other moms who discover the horrific truth later

IMO

joke or not he would have got the same from me. thst is nothing to even joke about, nothing funny there.

There is more to the story, it was no joke at all.....and he is in LE now, but you could not pay him to stop me for anything.. He is one as I suspect SA is, that the parents/family always covered/cover for him when he did something wrong.

Good point and then you have DD stating he saw HD playing x box and DD figures she would play till about midnight based on her skill level.

I have a feeling this was said to LE by DD and taken very SERIOUSLY by them.

BD then says it was about 10 and she was in bed watching TV.

It then changes to 10 - 11pm (and yes she could of been off in her initial time as i know that often i am)

Here is where I have a problem if indeed this is one of the hurdles LE has

Many times my own son has underestimated how well my daughter can play the games on his x-box. I call it "the male can never be wrong syndrome" jokingly in my house

There have been too many times he has said no way she did that on her own and will say mom you helped her. When in fact she is a good player. In his eyes though his sister could not be as "good" at playing a game as he is

Again MOO and just food for thought

This is just my opinion, but I'm thinking there is really no reason LE could not look at the X-box (and it's been reported they took it) and see exactly when it was played and then turned off, or signed out of. An X-box is a computer. IMO, DD was asked how long he thought HD might have played for LE to have a guideline until they were actually able to get this information off the X-box.

IMO, DD establishes it was HD playing at this specific time, and LE was able to get the rest of the information from the X-box hard drive.

Also, I'm not exact on details, but if I were to just stop playing without pausing or turning off my X-box, it will eventually go into a kind of 'sleeper mode.' I tested the last 2 games I've played, and both of those 'go to sleep' in 2 phases. First, the game goes dim after about 5 minutes, then, because I have wireless controllers, my controller shuts itself off after about 10 minutes and a message comes up on screen to reconnect the controller. A wired in controller, and/or a different game might have a different result. However, because my games do seem to keep detailed records of how long I play which I can easily pull up on my screen, it just seems to me someone reading the hard drive is going to find even more information.

:furious:
She says it awkwardly, but it isn't that odd. She got cut off and then when Nancy wanted clarification, she simply repeated herself, clarifying nothing. It is my personal belief only, that she was saying that the whole family watched horror films (my daughter has pretty much always watched these movies, starting at sleepovers away from home. I was shocked that other parents allowed it, but so many did that it ended up not being worth fighting over).

She follows it up (or attempts to) by saying that the family has more comedy films than horror films, yet the media has seized on the horror films and made them a big deal because (owning and watching) comedies can't be looked down on (i.e. the MSM is making a huge deal out of them having horror movies, even though those movies are not the majority of the collection). Nancy just didn't "get it".

I believe she is saying that they do not have a vast collection of horror films, they have a variety of films, some of which are horror films, but the press is focusing only on the horror films, providing a slanted perspective. God forbid my child disappears, as SHE has a huge collection of slasher films that are integrated into the family DVD library.

If I had to guess, I'd say it was while the "experts" were talking dismemberment, sulfuric acid, or any of the other lovely things they have speculated may have happened to her daughter, and it may have been too much for her to take.

The marriage to Clint split up just before she met Shawn. I imagine that having two households to support, instead of one, left everyone a little short of cash and they began falling behind on bills. When the check for her renewal fee bounced, the bank probably added an overdraft fee, and another charge would have been assessed by the licensing board.

A year later, when she was found to be practicing on an expired license, there would have been additional fines, and there was a charge of $1,200 for the hearing to have her license reinstated, which she failed to pay (or appear for). I think the licensing problem was due to financial hardship, which only increased as the cost to get her license back grew.

I am curious if she had such a financial hardship how she could afford to buy drugs? I guess it shows where her priorities were anyhow

I have to disagree.

I'd rather he support her and be in error than NOT support her and be in error.

And he's there to help find Hailey. That's why he went there.
I agree totally. MK is a wonderful man. While as of now there may be alot of suspicion on BD, he is there for Hailey and to help search for her. IMO (I think) he is coaching BD to be honest with LE and to keep Hailey's name in the media. I have alot of respect for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx