TX TX - Heidi Broussard, 33, & Margot Carey, 2 weeks, Austin, 12 Dec 2019 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, the Mackenzie Lueck case was a prime example.

The chief went on tv to conduct an interview with a national broadcaster. As he was saying “we have no POI at this time,” law enforcement was almost simultaneously initiating a search of the POI’s house.

Little did we know, that he had already been called in for an interview, lied his butt off, and was a prime suspect.

It happens frequently. It’s actually why POI came to replace “suspect”. When a person is named a suspect it shuts them down and causes them to lawyer up. Also, it could have some implications when it comes to Miranda warnings. Because those are necessary when a reasonable person believes he or she is being detained and isn’t free to go. And being called a suspect can be part of that feeling.

So they changed it to POI. Now that’s falling out of favor as someone earlier posted.

They don’t want to alienate a suspect and get them to shut up. To lawyer up. To run. They don’t want them to know how close they are and possibly alter evidence. Right? So they don’t use even that much anymore.

It happens frequently. It’s actually why POI came to replace “suspect”. When a person is named a suspect it shuts them down and causes them to lawyer up. Also, it could have some implications when it comes to Miranda warnings. Because those are necessary when a reasonable person believes he or she is being detained and isn’t free to go. And being called a suspect can be part of that feeling.

So they changed it to POI. Now that’s falling out of favor as someone earlier posted.

They don’t want to alienate a suspect and get them to shut up. To lawyer up. To run. They don’t want them to know how close they are and possibly alter evidence. Right? So they don’t use even that much anymore.
Especially here, where you want anyone who may be considered to be a POI or suspect (behind the scenes), to keep talking.

If he just started smoking pot then, maybe.

I think weed or pills or just nerves and adrenaline can account for much of his performance.

I suspect he's worried that his job might be in jeopardy if it comes out on the news that he was smoking dope or popping pills, particularly if he then got into a car and drove to pick up his son at school. I think it's also possible he got stoned or fell asleep and didn't notice or really think about HB and baby being missing until the school called. If that's the case, he's not going to want to say so - he'll come across as guilty even though there's no evidence that he's actively involved in the disappearance in any way.

I think it would also explain some of his confused answers - he doesn't want to say that he didn't really notice because he wasn't really looking. Then he racks his memory, 'fine tunes' his answer and looks even guiltier.

This brings me to ask you all a question, especially the ladies on here. If you leave the house and take with you your keys, phone, wallet and a purse, would your keys and phone be in your PURSE or in your POCKET? I know for me, they'd be in the purse.

It might not seem like a big deal to most of you but I think it could be quite important.

I carry just a wallet with a wrist strap and my phone and I don't have any clothes with pockets. It's hot here. I don't own a coat :)

Thanks for the local perspective :) I think you posted before about how long it would have taken for him to go and pick up the son and come back... how long do you figure that would have taken?

I don't know where their son was in after-school care, so that's hard to say. There have been reports he was at a karate program, some that he was in the after-school program run by the YMCA. If he did pick the child up at 6 from the elementary school I'd say 15-25 minutes - you'd spend 10 minutes parking, going in, talking to the child, walking at a child's pace to the car, etc. The drive would be 10ish minutes each way. If it's off-site, I wouldn't know.

This brings me to ask you all a question, especially the ladies on here. If you leave the house and take with you your keys, phone, wallet and a purse, would your keys and phone be in your PURSE or in your POCKET? I know for me, they'd be in the purse.

It might not seem like a big deal to most of you but I think it could be quite important.

Keys -- in my pocket because I keep my keys on a heavy, dog chain (because I read too much true crime) and it won't be any good in my bag if I need to get them out in a hurry.

Phone -- in my pocket also, so I can reach it to change tracks and send messages and such.

There is another curious reference in that same statement. ‘Together’.

‘I don’t know why anybody would ever harm or touch these two....together’.

Can’t help but think this is relevant.

On that one though I think it could just be a reference to who on earth would target both a mother and her baby.

Have reason to believe they both were back at the apartment, hmmm. Must have video or something.

Phone pings, purse and baby seat at home?

Surely Will Dupree from KXAN would have mentioned that family were present if they were there. He was clammering for things to say to fill the dead air. All he said was that the press were waiting but had seen no one approach the podium. I think if the family were there at all, we'd know it from one of the news outlets there, if not APD themselves.

Have any of the reporters even mentioned that no family was there and if not, why not? Have any of them said that it was odd to not have family speak or that while LE verbally described the mother and baby, no pictures were shown?

Keys -- in my pocket because I keep my keys on a heavy, dog chain (because I read too much true crime) and it won't be any good in my bag if I need to get them out in a hurry.

Phone -- in my pocket also, so I can reach it to change tracks and send messages and such.

Me too. Usually keys are around my neck or in my hand. Phone in my hand but also often in my bag.

Yes. And they’re prostitutes.

Show me one confirmed case of a missing white woman in the US snatched off the street for the sex trade and who wasn’t homeless/runaway or already a prostitute. Let alone with a newborn.

Or cite a confirmed case of babies being snatched off the street or from apartments in the states for an underground black market adoption.

For a lot of us veterans we keep seeing these possibilities pop up in every case like this but coupled with a lot of misinformation about what sex trafficking/human trafficking really looks like.
I think the percentage of us who truly KNOW what it looks like is very small.

Not sure where you’re going with wanting a case citation of a baby being snatched. In this case we have a woman, and the fact that she has a baby is probably beside the point to the person who made her go missing. It could be that the person allowed her to bring the infant with her as a means of getting her to go semi-willingly, compared to the alternative of fighting like hell if separated then and there.

As to your other requested case citation, it’s impossible to satisfy it. There are countless missing females (white or otherwise) who are not homeless, not runaway, not prostituting, and yet go missing and are still missing. And since they’re still missing, it’s impossible to say what happened. Thus, impossible to rule out trafficking.

Another thing that's really bugging me is the belongings left behind - not just the fact that there's been no clarification on whether her purse and wallet were actually still in the unlocked car or in the house.

1. If the purse/wallet were still in the unlocked car - at what point did SC realise that the car was unlocked? Before or after he called the police? He never mentions this in any of the interviews I've seen.

2. Whether the purse/wallet were left in the car or whether they were left in the house, this still bothers me... HB's keys and phone are apparently missing. Would the keys and phone not have been in the purse? Or does she put her keys and phone in her pockets? If the purse was left in the car and her keys and phone had been in the purse, this must mean she had the time/thought to take them out of the purse and take them inside with her, why not just take the purse inside too? Why leave the purse in the car unless she was immediately going to come back outside to get it? What stopped her from retrieving it?
If the purse was found in the house and her keys and phone had been in the purse and then for whatever reason she left the apartment of her own accord, she either took those items out herself to take them with her or someone else took them out of her purse when they took her and the baby. But why?

3. By "keys" is he referring to house keys or car keys, I'm assuming they're two separate sets of keys and she doesn't keep them on the same keyring. Are both house keys AND car keys missing?

To answer your question:
I always carry my keys in a zipped area of my purse, because they have fallen out of my pocket before.

But to top it off, Heidi clearly had a shoulder bag* - which, especially with kids, I always used so I could put the bag/purse on my shoulder while carrying a child or child carrier. No need to leave the purse anywhere. And phone always in purse or pocket - never separate.

*Shane showed photos of this purse himself - the strap on the purse is clearly there.

That's why women use shoulder bags - so they don't need to leave them in the car.

Last edited:
I should add that I have a friend who I met at Starbucks over a year ago. I talk to her every day but haven’t ever talked to her online or on my phone. I know more about her than I do some of my closest friends. And she too knows a lot about me including where I live. I just have this nagging feeling that this has to do with the baby more than anything. I agree the 5 hr window of time is questionable but until we know exactly what he was doing I’m giving him the benefit of doubt. I might be completely off in my thinking but I think it should be considered and checked out. Moo

Agreed.

This is what I’ve usually seen - no poi to keep everything calm and not reveal their hand.

occasionally I have seen the opposite, where they name the poi and really put the pressure on publicly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
there always an answer