TX TX - Huntsville, 'Walker County Jane Doe', WhtFem 14-16, 91UFTX, Nov'80 #2 *NAME NOT RELEASED*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I don't post very often and though I'm fascinated with this case, I can't keep up with reading all of the posts. So I apologize if anyone has already mentioned this, but I wanted to see what you all think.

Does anyone think that WCJD could have been going to visit Bennie Ray Dupnik, Jr. in prison? I'll abbreviate his name as BR. BR was born in 1961 in San Patricio Co. I found a blog with a posting from someone in the area who knew him and who stated that BR was a deck hand from Aransas Pass:

Port Aransas, Texas

The poster said that most teenagers at the time knew BR well and that he had only been living in Aransas Pass for a few weeks at the time of the murder of a woman named Shorty on May 25, 1978 (BR would have been 16 at the time). BR was apprehended for the crime within minutes and taken into custody. BR was convicted of capital murder in 1979 and was sentenced to life in prison.

The poster stated that he ran into BR a few years later at the Ferguson Unit of the TDCJ in Huntsville. According to Google Maps, the Ferguson Unit is 24.5 miles, or 28 minutes, northwest of the Ellis unit. It appears to be right off of I-45/75. IIRC, WCJD's body was found right off of I-45/75 (which was in a direction away from the Ellis unit).

This is all pure speculation, but I wonder if BR could have originally been assigned to the Central Unit in Sugarland. At one time, the Sugarland prison was the central intake prison and housed first offenders and white males prisoners under 25 years of age. The TDCJ assigned some prisoners to the Central Unit so that the prisoners resided closer to their former homes and could keep in touch with their families.

This leads me to the Cathy/Kathy story of the young girl who in the summer of 1980 was trying to hitch a ride to the Sugarland prison. Maybe (speculation, here!) she knew BR from Port Aransas and was told that he was in Sugarland but by that time he had been transferred to Huntsville.

Maybe WCJD really was from the Rockport/Port Aransas/Aransas Pass area.

Last edited:
Maybe the family - or a childhood/school friend of WCJD - are looking for her but haven't connected the dots.
The more I research jane doe cases and the cases that eventually get identified, the more I learn it's not always due to lack of care, concern, and awareness of the parents and family, but more either a police report wasn't filed due to LE thinking it's not warranted or because the family thought when they went away that they were doing well and just didn't care to stay in touch.

I often wonder if the composite sketch of WCJD is accurate enough for a loved one or former classmate/friend to see it and remember/associate her. I admire and appreciate the time and skill that goes into creating those. But when I saw what Debra Jackson really looked like compared to her composite sketch, I could see a faint resemblance but don't know if I would pick the two to be a match - but that's probably just me.

The more I research jane doe cases and the cases that eventually get identified, the more I learn it's not always due to lack of care, concern, and awareness of the parents and family, but more either a police report wasn't filed due to LE thinking it's not warranted or because the family thought when they went away that they were doing well and just didn't care to stay in touch.

I often wonder if the composite sketch of WCJD is accurate enough for a loved one or former classmate/friend to see it and remember/associate her. I admire and appreciate the time and skill that goes into creating those. But when I saw what Debra Jackson really looked like compared to her composite sketch, I could see a faint resemblance but don't know if I would pick the two to be a match - but that's probably just me.

This makes a lot of sense. WCJD seemed to have good teeth and like she was cared for. Are there other possible depictions of her? I don't mean the morgue photos but how she would have looked alive.

Her eyebrows are interesting in the morgue photo. Her nose looks petite even if her face is swollen.

Hello, I don't post very often and though I'm fascinated with this case, I can't keep up with reading all of the posts. So I apologize if anyone has already mentioned this, but I wanted to see what you all think.

Does anyone think that WCJD could have been going to visit Bennie Ray Dupnik, Jr. in prison? I'll abbreviate his name as BR. BR was born in 1961 in San Patricio Co. I found a blog with a posting from someone in the area who knew him and who stated that BR was a deck hand from Aransas Pass:

Port Aransas, Texas

The poster said that most teenagers at the time knew BR well and that he had only been living in Aransas Pass for a few weeks at the time of the murder of a woman named Shorty on May 25, 1978 (BR would have been 16 at the time). BR was apprehended for the crime within minutes and taken into custody. BR was convicted of capital murder in 1979 and was sentenced to life in prison.

The poster stated that he ran into BR a few years later at the Ferguson Unit of the TDCJ in Huntsville. According to Google Maps, the Ferguson Unit is 24.5 miles, or 28 minutes, northwest of the Ellis unit. It appears to be right off of I-45/75. IIRC, WCJD's body was found right off of I-45/75 (which was in a direction away from the Ellis unit).

This is all pure speculation, but I wonder if BR could have originally been assigned to the Central Unit in Sugarland. At one time, the Sugarland prison was the central intake prison and housed first offenders and white males prisoners under 25 years of age. The TDCJ assigned some prisoners to the Central Unit so that the prisoners resided closer to their former homes and could keep in touch with their families.

This leads me to the Cathy/Kathy story of the young girl who in the summer of 1980 was trying to hitch a ride to the Sugarland prison. Maybe (speculation, here!) she knew BR from Port Aransas and was told that he was in Sugarland but by that time he had been transferred to Huntsville.

Maybe WCJD really was from the Rockport/Port Aransas/Aransas Pass area.
Yes I had read about him and it made me curious. Apparently he was a bad boy and I found a message board where locals had been posting. One said a week or two before he murdered the bar owner that they had been riding in a stolen car with Dupnik. I found out he had a sister about the same age as WCJD. Its possible that this girl could have been around him if she lived down there. Maybe a friendship with the sister got her close and she had a crush. None of the people who grew up down there have come forward to say she was someone they knew. That leads me to believe she didn't grow up there unless the whole town is in on a conspiracy. Its possible she was vacationing there or had recently moved there during the summer. That would explain why no one at school knew her. If she wasn't there long then she might have been easily forgotten.

This makes a lot of sense. WCJD seemed to have good teeth and like she was cared for. Are there other possible depictions of her? I don't mean the morgue photos but how she would have looked alive.
There are several different recreations of her done over the years.
91UFTX

I really, really want this girl to be identified, but in this thread we are going round and round. I decided to "unwatch" this thread. No offence. Hoping LE is going to see the light, and contribute her essentials to the DNA Doe Project. She was a child, but I hope in this case they make an exception.

Yes I had read about him and it made me curious. Apparently he was a bad boy and I found a message board where locals had been posting. One said a week or two before he murdered the bar owner that they had been riding in a stolen car with Dupnik. I found out he had a sister about the same age as WCJD. Its possible that this girl could have been around him if she lived down there. Maybe a friendship with the sister got her close and she had a crush. None of the people who grew up down there have come forward to say she was someone they knew. That leads me to believe she didn't grow up there unless the whole town is in on a conspiracy. Its possible she was vacationing there or had recently moved there during the summer. That would explain why no one at school knew her. If she wasn't there long then she might have been easily forgotten.

I did read that he spent some time at the Ramsey unit which is in rosharon. only 30 min from sugar land. This was later in his incarceration though. I would be curious if the sister is alive and or is familiar with the WCJD case.

I did read that he spent some time at the Ramsey unit which is in rosharon. only 30 min from sugar land. This was later in his incarceration though. I would be curious if the sister is alive and or is familiar with the WCJD case.
From what I saw it looks like he had three sisters. Two older and one younger. I think they are all still alive or were last time I looked. His father died in 2012 and it looks like he lived in Rockport at some point. The murder Dupnik was incarcerated for happened in Port Aransas. He was 16 when all this happened. WCJD was about 14 or 15. If she claimed she was going to see a boyfriend at the Ellis Unit Dupnik makes a good candidate.

From what I saw it looks like he had three sisters. Two older and one younger. I think they are all still alive or were last time I looked. His father died in 2012 and it looks like he lived in Rockport at some point. The murder Dupnik was incarcerated for happened in Port Aransas. He was 16 when all this happened. WCJD was about 14 or 15. If she claimed she was going to see a boyfriend at the Ellis Unit Dupnik makes a good candidate.
sooooo....can we write a prisoner?

And by we I mean not me, I live in TEXAS , yes I'm paranoid and rightly so :)

I'm from Texas also...lol.

I guess just about anyone can? Not sure. If you go to the TDCJ website you could probably find some info on that. I will take a look....we can get ya connected with a pen pal :cool:

I'm from Texas also...lol.

I guess just about anyone can? Not sure. If you go to the TDCJ website you could probably find some info on that. I will take a look....we can get ya connected with a pen pal :cool:

I actually meant TOS but I guess just being a prisoner makes that OK and thank you for the hook up but .....um no :) nope, not even!!! I do have a soft spot for small furry people that are held in cages but not human people.

I really, really want this girl to be identified, but in this thread we are going round and round. I decided to "unwatch" this thread. No offence. Hoping LE is going to see the light, and contribute her essentials to the DNA Doe Project. She was a child, but I hope in this case they make an exception.
I totally get where you’re coming from. There’s a lot of discussion around things we’ve speculated on several times before. I agree DNA will be the key for most old cases. Listening to some interviews by billy Jensen recently and he also believes using the power of social media to share images of victims until someone recognises then is also a biggie.

I do have faith though that sleuthing can solve some cases.

I saw the same article about the stolen vehicle. It just makes a lot of sense to me that he was a teenager from the same area and that she might have known him. I think it's possible that she might not have been from Port Aransas or Rockport, (or even Aransas Pass), but instead from one of the smaller towns near there. Maybe she would hang out at the docks (I read somewhere that was something the teenagers from around there liked to do) and knew him from there. Maybe that's why nobody from the Port Aransas or Rockport schools seem to recognize her or remember her story. And if she was hanging around his crowd, my theory is that they may not be exactly wanting to help LE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hernak